• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Season 2016 is all done and dusted so it's time to start the Season 2017 wang.

Any movements in the Coaching ranks?

Which Clubs are the 2016 Year 12 graduates going to?
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/which-clubs-are-the-class-of-2016-going-to.16683/

Who is going to bypass Colts and head straight into Premier Rugby in their first year out of School?

2017 will see us farewell most of the Class of 2014 to Grade footy, and a chunk of the Class of 2015 will not see much Colts action either due to early promotion to Grade, or being absent on State and National Under 20 Representative duties.

Off season? What off season? There is on off season for the keyboard cognoscenti.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
colts info night.jpg

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
GPS have had a major clean out of all the colts coaches, with only the Colts 1 coach surviving who is somewhat a spiritual leader within the club (and owner of Johnny Ringos who is a sponsor of the club).

The Prem Colts Coaches are Pat O'Connor (former Waratah and Force Lock) and Dave Sheehan (backs/skills coach of GPS Prem grade 2016 and current GPS 7's coach). Exciting appointments for the club - hopefully the colts system program can get back to where we were in 2014 & 2015. 2016 was a year to forget.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
[quote="Hugh Jarse, post: 869491, member:

Who is going to bypass Colts and head straight into Premier Rugby in their first year out of School?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the limited vision that I saw, I would think that maybe the prop and the winger may be able to play Prem grade. I think the others would require a few years before potentially becoming regular Prem grade players.

Maybe King you can tell us who successfully made the transition last year? Maybe a couple made the bench, but not too many were regular starters.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Maybe King you can tell us who successfully made the transition last year? Maybe a couple made the bench, but not too many were regular starters.

None of the 2015 First XV class could be considered regular Premier Grade starters, largely thanks to the Super U20s vacuuming up all the young guys who could have made the cut.

21 kids from 2015 are currently on pro contracts that kept them out of Premier Grade.

- I'm aware Jack Farrell, Aus Schools at BBC, started a handful of games at 7 for Souths. Jayden Ngamanu must have played a few also because he wasn't a regular for the Reds U20s from memory.

- TSS halfback Jordan Lenac played a few off the bench for UQ and started one.

- ACGS backrowers James McMillan and Sam Wallis both made appearances off the bench for UQ.

- GT halfback Reuben Wall came off the bench for Brothers from memory.

- I'm sure TGS #10 Hamish Stewart would have made some appearances for Bond relieving Mitch Third

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
In terms of 2016 graduates who could make the cut, I can only really guess the guys who are bound for St Lucia.

Terrace winger Will Eadie would surely get time off the bench for UQ, and Willie Malala is now too old to return for Nudgee's First XV, so he'd be a shot too.

Sean Farrell also will likely get time for UQ as well with Tonga Ma'afu departing for the greener pastures at Norths.

If Scott Gale stays in Sydney, and there's an injury in the Reds' halfback stocks (calling Moses Sorovi into the matchday squad), then Sunshine Coast Grammar halfback Tate McDermott has every chance.

That is to say if the Reds U20s don't wrap them in cotton wool and actually let them play club.

I can tell you a few guys who definitely won't be playing Prem Grade:

NC #13 Semisi Tupou is on the cusp of a deal with the Rebels, so he won't play in QLD next year.

NC #10 Augustus Rangihuna is in a similar position with the Melbourne Storm.

BSHS #15 Murray Taulagi has signed a reportedly BIG one-year-deal with the Cowboys

BSHS #6 Josh Fenner has signed a deal with the Leicester Tigers in the UK

TGS #5 Matt Wilshire is being chased hard by the Chiefs. Hard to imagine he'll turn that down, though he hasn't yet signed.

TGS #13 Clayton Mack is signed with the Broncos U20s

BBC #13 Len Ikitau is signed with the Brumbies

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
- I'm sure TGS #10 Hamish Stewart would have made some appearances for Bond relieving Mitch Third
According to Rugby Link stats there were 3 Colts players from Bond that came of the bench this season - Gavin Luka x 1, Calum Ball x 1 and Dylan Riley x 3.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
There is a huge difference between schoolboy rugby and Premier rugby. It does take some time to transition into the grade game and rarely in the first year out of school. 2016 QLD u20's only had 4 selected from the class of 2015 with only 2 being in the regular match squad (Harry Hoopert & Harry Hocking). I can't see there being more than 1 maybe 2 from class of 2016.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
In terms of 2016 graduates who could make the cut, I can only really guess the guys who are bound for St Lucia.

Terrace winger Will Eadie would surely get time off the bench for UQ.

That is to say if the Reds U20s don't wrap them in cotton wool and actually let them play club.

I agree that Eadie position and maturity would probably get him some time.

Also agree with not putting them in cotton wool. Guys at this age should be getting as much game time and different challenges and experience as possible.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
There is a huge difference between schoolboy rugby and Premier rugby. It does take some time to transition into the grade game and rarely in the first year out of school. 2016 QLD u20's only had 4 selected from the class of 2015 with only 2 being in the regular match squad (Harry Hoopert & Harry Hocking). I can't see there being more than 1 maybe 2 from class of 2016.

Too true HTC it's a completely different game. Probably agree with the u20 possibilities as well.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Nick Stiles is heading out to Uni's colts information day. I hope he goes to other clubs as well. Uni do not need the Reds coach to come down and promote their club. They pretty much win it every year. I'm sure his services would be appreciated at Wests or Norths.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Nick Stiles is heading out to Uni's colts information day. I hope he goes to other clubs as well. Uni do not need the Reds coach to come down and promote their club. They pretty much win it every year. I'm sure his services would be appreciated at Wests or Norths.

I thought to myself the same thing. I guess they'd be playing the old boys card? Brothers are also having a "Pathway Presentation"on their Colts Info night by former Brothers boy and current Reds Recruitment and List Manager Sam Cordingley. I get that Stiles is different because he is the Reds HC, but fair play to those that have organised something similar. Are any other club getting any guest appearances? I know GPS haven't advertised anything of the sort for their information evening.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)

Maybe they don't (win every year). Last year they came fourth. And I'll stick my neck out and say this next year (2017) will be a similar result for them. I don't see them as premiers.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I was referring to how they win across the colts (at least 2 colts grades per year).

Anyway, as a club they don't need the Reds publicising their colts information day. By all means do it but for the struggling clubs instead, who don't win anything in the colts division.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Who are your early predictions sage?

Sunnybank will get most of the State high boys so will be strong again.
Wests are getting some Nzud influence I hear.
GPS have been out and about recuitung as well.

Brothers and bond have a lot of returning colts.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Don't get me wrong UQ will be top 4; very good coaching, wonderful winning history of the club.

I don't really know whose returning at this stage and there will be a lot of last years pre colts that will be playing grade. Just have to see where the chips fall.

That said, based on some momentum of last year, I think the top 4 will probably be the same or similar. Bond and The Bank will be strong again and was impressed with Wests as a team. Souths had their moments, but I think their star players will all be playing grade and that will blunt them. Ok Red Heavy the truth is no idea who will win, but another fairly close season coming up.

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
The mail I'm getting is that a fair few of the Sunshine Coast boys that played CSS are heading to UQ. Other players arriving at UQ have already been announced in this thread. UQ will be Top 4 minimum leading into the semis and for any club program, that's the target to shoot at.

Ask Sagey and Co; this year showed us, any club can beat anyone on the day. It was a fantastic season with consistency and depth being the major factors when it came to the final few regular season games leading into finals.

As for Stiles turning up at a UQ Colts information evening. I wish it was both he and the 20's coach in Brad Thorn both attending and both being present at every club info session just like The Filth mentioned.

There is an obvious disconnect between the Reds program and certain club colts programs and that needs to be rectified quickly with all stakeholders engaged and being listened to. Having access to these coaches to attend all colts info / sign on sessions would be a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.