• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD COLTS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I understand that Logan will play Souths in round one which should make for an interesting game. There are quite a few ex Souths players who have followed the coach to Logan. Hopefully everyone keeps there emotions under control. It should be an interesting game.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I understand that Logan will play Souths in round one which should make for an interesting game. There are quite a few ex Souths players who have followed the coach to Logan. Hopefully everyone keeps there emotions under control. It should be an interesting game.

The "coach" - was an assistant who was only present for a third of the season and left when things got tough and when he wasn't awarded the Head Coach role for 2018. His connections with BSHS meant a few good school leavers followed to Logan - but I think they will find the season very difficult.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Any tips??

Ok here goes;

East’s over UQ by 5
Brothers over GPS by 17
The Bank over North’s by 12
Bond over west’s by 7
Souths over Logan by 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
UQ by 12, Brothers by 18, Norths by 2, Wests by 5 and Souths by 22

I'm with you. Although.....
UQ will have a tough time of it after watching the East games at the Kennel last weekend, but still picking them to win. Not sure about your Doggies either, they looked a little fragile, Bond could take it, depending which team from West's turns up.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
For me

UQ and Easts. UQ by 5 or maybe draw

Brothers by 35

Sunnybank by 5

Bond by 15

Souths by 20

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ahhhh...another year of Club football is upon us and isn't it exciting to see the new crop of club players. Will the doggies back up their last year form with a new team...Will Brothers and Uni for the old guard and go all the way to the GF again. Souths to make a run for the finals? All shall be revealed.

My picks:
Brothers by 30
Bank by 15
Wests by 3
Souths by 25

All the best to everyone involved

Reactions: vac

Matthew Moore

Frank Row (1)
Some very interesting results this week.

Brothers 19 v GPS 21 :)
UQ 50 v Easts 10
Bank 57 v Norths 17
Bond 25 v Dogs 27 :confused:
Souths 53 v Logan City 0 ?? (Anyone at this game?)

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Look I didn’t see too much of the brothers-jeeps game (last 10 mins), however were not impressed with brothers on the weekend.

They may not be the favourites we all expected; a lot of passing and potential without actually being able to score (which is fairly important right?).

Interesting to see the next round; hopefully I’ll get there earlier to get a better gauge on their performance. Still a lot of time to turn it around but not a good start.

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Saw the Souths Vs Logan Game. Logan were willing for the first ten mins and then started opening up across the park. Some good tries outwide to Souths in the first half. Souths looked fitter and stronger and more structured. It was a team effort as there was no particular standouts although the 6 for Souths ran the ball strongly at times. Everytime the ball went wide gaps opened. The Souths scrum smashed the Logan scrum. There was little structure in the Logan play especially as they got tired into the second half and ran on subs. I think as well there was about 15 mins of the game lost due to a head knock.
I suspect it will be a long season for Logan but they will be better for that run and now know what to expect when playing at that level.

George Craswell

Bob McCowan (2)
Look I didn’t see too much of the brothers-jeeps game (last 10 mins), however were not impressed with brothers on the weekend.

They may not be the favourites we all expected; a lot of passing and potential without actually being able to score (which is fairly important right?).

Interesting to see the next round; hopefully I’ll get there earlier to get a better gauge on their performance. Still a lot of time to turn it around but not a good start.

Watched Brothers Colts I and Colts 2 play against GPS. Colts I backline didn’t look threatening.
Was very disappointed given what I heard about the quality.
Thought Brothers Colts 2 had some real talent. Liked the 10,12 and the big 13.
Early days but might be a few selection shocks if Colts 1 don’t find their mojo

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
A few things to talk about from round 1;
UQ has well and truely shown up all those who thought they would be weak this year. Although it's early days, UQ will be competitive this year and brave pundits would tip against them being outside the top 4. With Nasser up front and the halves combination of van der Merwe and Twidale returning, their side will in the hunt.

Easts are still finding their feet with quite a young group. They seem light on in the forwards and seem reliant on Havili to ball carry for them. They'll be hoping to for Phoenix Hunt to come back into the fold so they can have some better direction around the ruck.

Sunnybank have demonstrated the skill and size that took them to the finals last year with a bruising win over Norths. This Norths side is relatively unchanged from last year so it was a big win for the Bank. The big talking point will be how they replace Lucas who made the step up to Premier Grade last year. If they can replace him well enough (not saying that is an easy task) they will be polish a few sides.

Although the conditions were poor, Wests got up over Bond. Bond seemed to lack direction with the ball and will be sweating on the return of Max Dowd to add some threat with the ball in hand. A little too one dimensional.

Wests too are still finding their feet after some poor trial form but this win will give them some confidence going forward.

GPS were victorius against the brethren in a win that caught us all slightly off guard. GPS have a very strong mix this year and are looking like the pick of the bunch so far. De Flavis gave coaches headaches last year with his running game and the Kibble boys will allow him to have some more front foot ball. Watch out for the no-nonsense front rower Chapman who skippers this side, he loves the dirty work.

Brothers have plenty of depth in 2018 and should the starting team from round 1 not suffice, they have plenty of room for changes. Talent is not the issue there. Regardless we should see them bounce back well in the coming weeks.

The Souths v Logan result was lopsided but don't place this on the ability of Logan yet. With Tietie (BBC first XV 2016) and Raoren (BBC first XV 2016) they have some cattle their but were blown off the park late by a sharp Souths side. As said previously, they will be better for the run.

Bring on round 2.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Tips for this week:
Brothers over UQ by 2
West over Sunnybank by 8
Norths to beat Logan by 10
Souths to get up over Easts by 19

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
The Brethren towled up Uni. Was it a case of Uni being off their game or Brothers living up to their hype?

Early in the season I know, but Souths look the goods this year as well banking another bonus point win against Easts.
GPS and the Doggies also sweaking another win against Bond and the Bank respectively. Bring on round 3 to see if these teams can remain unbeaten.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
The Brethren towled up Uni. Was it a case of Uni being off their game or Brothers living up to their hype?

No, it was a true toweling!! Brothers left plenty of points on the field. Combination settled in the backs with the forwards showing a lot more punch. Grit in defense and attack starting to find its timing and lines.

George Craswell

Bob McCowan (2)

No, it was a true toweling!! Brothers left plenty of points on the field. Combination settled in the backs with the forwards showing a lot more punch. Grit in defense and attack starting to find its timing and lines.
The Uni backline is one dimensional.
Very big 12 and 13 who lack creativity.
Bash and barge only get you so far.
The exception was 11 who I thought was a standout

Status
Not open for further replies.