• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2019

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So we are now at the big dance first week of finals.

Colts 1 major final Souths v Brothers. Game of two styles Souths power game v Brothers more mobile and skilful game.
Season finished one game a piece with Brothers flogging Souths in round two. I expect a close game with Brothers bringing very high line speed in defence. If both teams play there best rugby I expect Souths to win. My pick is Souths but it could go either way.

I expect the winner of this game to go on and win the premiership.

Sunnybank v UQ UQ seem to be Sunnybanks kryptonite I understand they have not scored a point against the students this year. Again power v mobility. I think the students will have too much for the injury depleted Sunnybank and win by 14 plus

Colts 2 Souths v Bond both have been heads and shoulders above the pack all year. Bond have a good mobile pack with speed out wide and this is where they will try to win. Souths have a very good pack. I will go for Souths in a close game by 7.

Brother v UQ Brothers just got in by beating Easts on the bell last week and may find it hard to back up. UQ have some good players who would be in most other clubs Colts 1 teams and I expect them to pull away and win by 20.

Good luck boys.

Brothers up in 2's 15-5

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
What were the results for the weekend? I heard that Brothers Colts 2 won in a close one over UQ. Any others?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Colts 2

Souths over Bond 40-38
Brothers over UQ 15-5

Colts 1

Souths over Brothers 27-24 , won it with a penalty in the dying minutes
UQ over Sunnybank 43-38 after being down 20-05 late in the first half, thankfully came out in the second half and kept ball in hand rather than the aimless kicking of the first half and put on plenty of tries. Hopefully lesson learnt.

Souths straight through to the GF in both Colts 1 & 2 , great effort

The Preliminary Finals next week should be crackers

Reactions: vac

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Colts 2

Souths over Bond 40-38
Brothers over UQ 15-5

Colts 1

Souths over Brothers 27-24 , won it with a penalty in the dying minutes
UQ over Sunnybank 43-38 after being down 20-05 late in the first half, thankfully came out in the second half and kept ball in hand rather than the aimless kicking of the first half and put on plenty of tries. Hopefully lesson learnt.

Souths straight through to the GF in both Colts 1 & 2 , great effort

The Preliminary Finals next week should be crackers
Agreed

UQ ran Sunnybank off there feet with better fitness

Souths v Brothers was a tough affair

Colts 2
Bond will be crushed after having a one man advantage for 65 minutes and a two man advantage for 10 and then losing on the bell they may struggle to come back from that against a brothers team that has won two knockout games and has momentum on their side.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sadly, the referee had a major influence in the Colts 2 Minor Semi-Final. There should have been an adult refereeing the game at least, not a 19 year old peer. Two howlers of decisions (1. over-ruling a linesmen who called out and awarded a Brothers try 2. calling a Uni try held up after the linesmen ruled a try) that determined the outcome. In hindsight, the QRRA should ensure in future that our "younger" refs are not ref'ing their peer group, particularly in semi-finals. I am a great supporter of the QRRA Ref development in schools and clubs, but this appointment was wrong and should have been addressed prior to the game by diligent team manager/s. Lessons learnt for all.

What were the results for the weekend? I heard that Brothers Colts 2 won in a close one over UQ. Any others?

steveadams12

Frank Nicholson (4)
2 Cracking games in Colts 1 from what I’ve heard, missed them sadly! Who were the standouts across the 2 games in forwards and backs?

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
2 Cracking games in Colts 1 from what I’ve heard, missed them sadly! Who were the standouts across the 2 games in forwards and backs?

Watched the Souths V Brothers Game.

Closely fought affair for mine the Brothers Loosies went well getting many turnovers however I will caveat that by saying the Souths cleaners were poor so there were lots of opportunities. Brothers Inside centre was a handful and created plenty of space for those around him.
For Souths the tight five were superior and the ten controlled the game very well. The Souths winger also made large inroads with ball in hand.

IMHO this year the three teams left are clearly superior to the others and each is capable of winning it on any given day.

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sadly, the referee had a major influence in the Colts 2 Minor Semi-Final. There should have been an adult refereeing the game at least, not a 19 year old peer. Two howlers of decisions (1. over-ruling a linesmen who called out and awarded a Brothers try 2. calling a Uni try held up after the linesmen ruled a try) that determined the outcome. In hindsight, the QRRA should ensure in future that our "younger" refs are not ref'ing their peer group, particularly in semi-finals. I am a great supporter of the QRRA Ref development in schools and clubs, but this appointment was wrong and should have been addressed prior to the game by diligent team manager/s. Lessons learnt for all.

I must disagree with you having watched the game - not sure how you determined that the referee overruled the linesman?

Bladerunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
I thought the Uni forwards were tough and tried hard but the Brothers forwards were tougher, the young fella that came off before half time I think (white headgear), wasn't that big but was damaging the much bigger Uni players with some massive hits, the big front rower from Brothers was also excellent and scored a good try. The 12 for Uni seemed to be rattled all game and made some crucial mistakes, and the 10 only had 2 moves that Brothers picked up on early. In the backs for Brothers I thought the 9 was very good, nice pass and made some very crucial covering tackles to save potential tries, the 15 had a great field position game and set up one of Brothers tries and also the winger that was mentioned in the touch judge comment not sure what his number was.
Brothers will be up against it with Bond, they look big and have been sharp most of the year, good luck to both teams on the weekend.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
So only two games this weekend
Colts 1 Brothers v UQ
Brothers were defeated in a very close game last week and can rake plenty from the performance. UQ ran Sunnybank off their feet with superior fitness. Styalistically this is a match up of similar teams and I expect plenary of ball movement. The battle of the centres should be awesome.
This game is too close to call but for mine Brothers while being capable of very good football have not managed to back up strong performances so I am Tipping UQ by 5.
Colts 2 Bond v Brothers. This is an interesting game in that Bond are the better team and should win based on ability however they had a crushing loss last week to Souths and finals are funny things. Brothers are a team with momentum so if they stick with Bond there could be a belief issue for Bond. I think Brothers might just get them in this one Brothers by 5

Good luck boys.

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
Pretty solid advantage to Brothers for the Colts 1 GF this week. As Souths are in both they can only use the bench for Injury replacement and not for tactical replacements, unless they get the bench to sit out the Colts 2 GF.
Seems a bit inequitable to me.

Dane Gleebles

Frank Row (1)
Must be a bit of politics involved there I'd say. Would of had my money on Carter Gordan, someone who's dominated prem grade the entire year

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Grand Final week
Souths v Brothers this will be a closely fought game. Brothers have an edge with colts 2 not making the big dance with will allow them to carry a full bench and be able to make tactical replacements. I think this could be the deciding factor as the Souths bench will be backing up after a GF on Saturday. I expect Brother to try and move the bigger Souths pack around and run them off there feet and use a full bench to keep the pace up. Souths will play the power game and try to outmuscle the Brothers boys. I will back Souths to win in a very close game with less than a try separating the teams.

Colts 2 Souths v Bond if Souths get on top of Bond early I think they will run away with it and after the major Semi Bond will never feel safe against the Souths team. Bond play a better structure shifting the ball well Souths a better organised and more physical in close. Souths by 14.

Great season from all of the boys and one of the more even years in quite a few.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is the criteria Reg

I asked some questions. No real criteria. Selected by Academy coaches.

I guess perhaps Flook's efforts to achieve what he did as a 17 year old impressed. Was also captain of QLD 18s apparently. A reward for effort and endeavor.

Read that as you will.