• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2019

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was a head clash. Barely a yellow card. Very sad for souths 13 though. 12 weeks? please..

Under World Rugby guidelines (see attached) it's a clear Red I reckon.

First of all - it was a "High Tackle" as there is clear contact to the ball carrier's head. We can't deny that.

Next - The contact with the ball carrier's head was in contact with the tackler's head (at least)

Next - it was High. So it looks like a Red Card.

Are there mitigating factors? Well first of all it states that as it was in open space with a clear line of site for the tackler with time before contact, then these mitigating factors hold less weight. Regardless....

The tackler didn't change his height.
The ball carrier didn't change his height
The tackler is not unsighted
It was not reactionary, nor was their clear release
Clear initial contact with the head (by the head).

It's about as clear red card as you can get.

Head High.PNG

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Barely a yellow you need to take you eyepatch off. You are using the incorrect thinking

The tackle was reckless with direct contact to the head with force. Red card. Similar to taking a guy out in the air the tackler is responsible for the outcome.

I know the boy who did it will feel sick about the outcome but that Brothers team were obviously under instructions to win the physical battle at all costs and were overamped which was interesting as when they flogged Souths at Crosby it was through a very smart game plan that was well executed and a Souths team that was overamped.

I hope the boy who made the tackle puts some serious work into his technique as he will either injure someone else or himself soon with equally horrific results.

I think the coaching staff should take a look at themselves as they are responsible for the manner of there teams play and IMHO they got that wrong. I am not saying they said go out and injure someone far from it, I am saying they got it wrong and their team went to far.
I would just like to also point out that the player who replaced the seriously injured Souths player, has a mouth injury(split lip and severe bruising) from a high shot by the same Brothers player after he returned to field after the yellow card. I agree that he needs to work on his tackle technique.

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
Probably enough brothers bashing for the time being, who are we expecting to make the URC teams this year? I feel there might be some surprises in comparison to last year which was fairly cut and dry who made it.

Assuming of course that Gordon and Ralston play NRC

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
Probably enough brothers bashing for the time being, who are we expecting to make the URC teams this year? I feel there might be some surprises in comparison to last year which was fairly cut and dry who made it.

Assuming of course that Gordon and Ralston play NRC

Mate all one can hope for is that they pick on form not reputation.

There are some high profile boys who have been given a rails run who would not pick and some who should be rewarded based on performance.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
I hear that next year is U20's for Colts. If so, I think this is a good move to create a bit more depth for a few clubs that struggle with numbers and help with the development of the late bloomers.

S

Sgt Slaughter

Mate all one can hope for is that they pick on form not reputation.

There are some high profile boys who have been given a rails run who would not pick and some who should be rewarded based on performance.

Wow Will Kirk from East for URC scrum half - looks like performance was not part of the criteria prior Rep achievements strikes again....intrigued to see the remaining squad

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
Wow Will Kirk from East for URC scrum half - looks like performance was not part of the criteria prior Rep achievements strikes again..intrigued to see the remaining squad

Mate you can expect one or two from underperforming teams and to be fair it would not have been easy to play behind the Easts pack.
I expect the usual suspects I have given up on being annoyed by it anymore.

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
Wow Will Kirk from East for URC scrum half - looks like performance was not part of the criteria prior Rep achievements strikes again..intrigued to see the remaining squad

In fairness though, there's two squads of roughly 30 so you'd assume at least 4/5/6 half backs are chosen. And looking at them, you'd reckon Jeans and Hughes would be guaranteed and maybe Smith and Christian the others.

It'd be interesting to see the flyhalves chosen, honestly surprised that Neizweicki or whatever was picked. Thought he was poor in the games I saw. But you'd assume Leerenveltd (if healthy since he hasn't played for a while), Pappin and there's not really anyone else.

Will certainly be interesting to see the squads in there entirety.

S

Sgt Slaughter

From what I hear the list looks like this:

Brisbane City
- Brothers 9 Tarabay and 10 Pappin
- East 9 Kirk and UQ 10 Hogan

Qld Country
- South’s 9 Smith and 10 TBC after medicals Monday
- Bond 9 Jeans East 10 Neizweicki

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)

Brisbane City

Qld Country

Given the way Croft came in and steadied the ship for Souths one would hope he will get a look in seems to have matured his game.

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)

Brisbane City

Qld Country

I would have thought the halfback from UQ would have been in the mix also

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
The mail is Roach and Englebrecht from UQ are in, any new on other forwards. Have also heard a lot of the Souths Colts 1 boys are on the Country squad.

S

Sgt Slaughter

I would have thought the halfback from UQ would have been in the mix also

A fair assumption considering his form in the Semi and Prelim Finals - in my opinion the scrum half is the most subjective position in the game and selected based on how a coach wants/likes to play the game. I myself prefer the Christian/Hughes type of scrum half.

On a side note do selections suggest East have the Top 4 halves in the comp? I don’t see any Top 4 teams willing to trade their halves with East some how.

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
A fair assumption considering his form in the Semi and Prelim Finals - in my opinion the scrum half is the most subjective position in the game and selected based on how a coach wants/likes to play the game. I myself prefer the Christian/Hughes type of scrum half.

On a side note do selections suggest East have the Top 4 halves in the comp? I don’t see any Top 4 teams willing to trade their halves with East some how.

I would suggest that many selections will depend on who the coaches are and what horse trading goes on.
Always the problem at any level but a real shame at this level as choices selectors make will determine how hard boys train as they know if they are not looked at now they are no chance of being thought about ever again.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
As Nomad pointed out in the QLD GPS thread, there are a number of candidates for the URC teams that are likely to be called up for Australian U18 honours, whereby the championships clash. How does that work? A couple of names that come to mind are Roach, Flook, Pappin and Downs.

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
Fair to say the Souths boys will be pissed off after the Brothers kid got two weeks for the head high in the GF and the Souths boy got 4 for taking the guy out in the air two weeks before.

It is not very consistent given both acts we reckless and dangerous. One could have caused serious injury and one did cause serious injury.

It certainly feeds into the perception that Brothers get off lightly at the judiciary.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brisbane City U19s
Name Club
Frontrow
Emosi Tuqiri GPS
Ethan Dobbins Brothers
John Downes GPS
JP Tominiko Sunnybank
Zac Crothers Easts
Brad Kuhn Norths
Tyreece Rotscheid-Felu Sunnybank
Locks
Emmitt Keepa Sunnybank
Harrison Fox Norths
Taine Roiri Sunnybank
Harry Tombs Souths
Backrow
Matt Engelbrecht UQ
Will Roach UQ
Joseph Faulalo Sunnybank
Conrad Skelton Brothers
Mitchell Wood Wests
Halves
Nicholas Hughes Wests
Jake Pappin Brothers
Isaac Crone Sunnybank
Zac Hogan UQ
Centres
Hudson Creighton Brothers
Josh Flook Brothers
Henry Smith Souths
Blessed Tumua Sunnybank
Christian Suemalo UQ
Outside Backs
Samuel Samu Sunnybank
Mitchell Bell UQ
Josh Russell UQ
Toby Koraua Souths
Matt Weir Norths

Brisbane City U19s coaching staff

Head Coach: Pat Byron –Brisbane SHS
Asst Coach: Kelevi Tuicolo – Brothers
Asst Coach: Daryl McNamara – Wests
Manager: Dan Ritchie – Brisbane SHS
Strength & Conditioning: Owen Flynn
Physio: Carlie Cordery – Brothers

Queensland Country U19s
Name Club Regional Background
Frontrow
Sinilau Wolske Souths
Jack Winchester Bond
Phransis Sula-Siaosi Souths Gold Coast
Theo Fourie Souths Rockhampton
Tyrell Kopua Bond Gold Coast
Angus Lovelock Brothers
Alex Davies Wests
Locks
Fred Fewtrell Easts Gold Coast
Reagan Leslie Souths
Jacob Stocker Brothers
Charlie Scott Easts Roma
Backrowers
Thomas van der Schyff UQ Gold Coast
Alex Smit Wests
Reno Gerrard Souths Gold Coast
Nick Cross Brothers
Halves
Spencer Jeans Bond Gold Coast
Matt Minogue Bond Gold Coast
Rhian Stowers Bond Gold Coast
Harry Leerentveld Souths Toowoomba
Hugo Smith Souths
Lucas Niedzwiecki Easts
Centres
Francis Pona Sunnybank
Ronan Kapi Bond Gold Coast
Fletcher Spicer Wests
Outside Backs
Villiami Lea Souths
Zac Palmer Bond Gold Coast
Cooper Whiteside Wests
Shaq McLeod GPS Bundaberg
Johnson Oyelodi Brothers

Queensland Country U19s coaching staff:

Head Coach: Grant Anderson – Bond University
Asst Coach: James McLaren – Sunnybank
Asst Coach: Nick Fogarty – GPS
Manager: Dan Bowdler – Bond University
Strength & Conditioning: Jono Danaher
Physio: Liam Sandstorm – Bond University

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Thanks Reg. Are these teams being trimmed before Champs? From memory they could only take 25 players last year.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don’t know the kids name (it’s name withheld on rugbylink)

Wests fullback. Very small and skinny but an absolute livewire... surprised not to see him names in either of the teams.