• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Thought I'd take the plunge and start the 2020 thread.

Carrying on from the 2019 thread. My top 4 would include Wests,they had a bad run with injuries last year and I think the u20s Colts will give them a bit more depth.
The filth
Heavies
Souths and Wests.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I think it will depend largely on how many boys progress onto Senior footy rather that stay the extra year in Colts.

I cannot see Bond or GPS moving up the ladder as both were poor last year.

Wests are the club that could move up as this year you will be looking for clubs that are going to mature rather than the School boy superstars. I predict that this year will be the one where clubs will build on last year rather than move dramatically.

Word is UQ have recruited very hard as they don't like where they have gone over the last two years.
Brothers are very well organised and have the northside pretty well sorted getting the majority of Nudgee and GT.
Souths have recruited pretty hard but have the provenance winning both colts 1 and 2 last year.
Sunnybank I expect to drop as I think they have had a change of coach.
Wests are working hard on recruitment and are building
Bond have all of the ingredients but just cannot seem to bake the cake.
Easts are struggling to get meaningful numbers
Norths are trying hard but cannot seem to compete with Brothers
GPS to struggle the biggest issue that have is unless you are from Ashgrove it is difficult to get to so are my pick with Norths for the spoon.

Well done Old School. Continuing Happyman’s review / forecast for next season as well.

I believe game changers for next Colts season will be which clubs Zane Nonggor and Harry Vella end up. Also a game changer could be the St Peter’s no 8 who played occasionally for Wests and then for the Aust u18 team.

I detect a theme between Happyman and Old School with regards to Wests. Their downfall in 2019 was consistency. Also to be contenders they need to strengthen their front row and get their flyhalf right. If only they could enlist Gordon and or Whiteside, even just for a couple of crucial games.

Souths may find it hard to back up. Got it right on the day this year but I would never say they were head and shoulders above the rest.

Most other teams will be in the mix and hopefully Bond will benefit from the aggressive recruitment in recent times.

But also agree that GPS and Norths with poor depth in their recruitment pools are going to struggle for years to come.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Well done Old School. Continuing Happyman’s review / forecast for next season as well.

I believe game changers for next Colts season will be which clubs Zane Nonggor and Harry Vella end up. Also a game changer could be the St Peter’s no 8 who played occasionally for Wests and then for the Aust u18 team.

I detect a theme between Happyman and Old School with regards to Wests. Their downfall in 2019 was consistency. Also to be contenders they need to strengthen their front row and get their flyhalf right. If only they could enlist Gordon and or Whiteside, even just for a couple of crucial games.

Souths may find it hard to back up. Got it right on the day this year but I would never say they were head and shoulders above the rest.

Most other teams will be in the mix and hopefully Bond will benefit from the aggressive recruitment in recent times.

But also agree that GPS and Norths with poor depth in their recruitment pools are going to struggle for years to come.

Shark I think Souths have proved that it can be turned around pretty quickly they were a basket case two years ago.

Norths have the capacity turn it around and have a lot of structures in place that will gain longer term success. They are also looking outside the square a bit and fostering relationships with state schools.

GPS have a problem in that 90% of the potential recruits will have to drive past wests, and Uni to get to training. The Ashgrove recruits while good players are very programmed and struggle initially with the demands of a more expansive game in colts. Also many have barely lost a game at School level and lose interest getting regularly beaten at the next level.

You are correct about Wests last year they had points in them but really struggled with the more physical teams such as the Bank and Souths, but did beat Uni and Brothers. So a better set piece will elevate them into the four.

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
Any news on player movement? It was reported in the last thread Mac Grealy and Dion Samuela are going to UQ and on facebook saw TGS prop Tim Fainganuuku got grabbed by Brothers. Any others people know about or players that aren't coming back?

S

Sgt Slaughter

I hear Zane Nonggor has committed to Bond - yet to see any evidence of that, however being a Gold Coast lad it makes sense.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am hearing Finn Hearn from NC will also take the reins @ 9 for UQ. they will be a red hot back line!!

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
You would think McDermott will be gone long term..: Wallaby duty.
That leaves Jordan Lenac as the clear Premier Grade 9

Hearn & Christian in Colts... interesting battle.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
So with that said you would have to think UQ & Brothers are the early & clear Colts Front Runners.

S

Sgt Slaughter

^^^^hahaha ahh no still early days lol - it really depends on who stays in Colts and who plays Prems/Reggie’s

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I hear Zane Nonggor has committed to Bond - yet to see any evidence of that, however being a Gold Coast lad it makes sense.
Have heard the same , along with the other TSS Australian U18 front rower Blake. UQ were hoping to get the two of them to St.Lucia, along with NC’s Vella , but he now seems destined to remain in butcher stripes .

Would have been a very handy front row .

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
It's going to interesting to see how Brothers handle the extra players now available in their colts program, as it is huge compared to other clubs.

Obviously there will be a few exception to the rule, but managing the egos of the school 1st XV player who expects to be playing Prem colts and is now starting out in the 3rds will be a challenge. It would of been hard enough in the years gone by when they would of been in the 2nds....... Brothers should be unbeatable in the lower grades unless the boys look to other clubs.

Maybe go (to) North(s) young man?

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
You would think McDermott will be gone long term..: Wallaby duty.
That leaves Jordan Lenac as the clear Premier Grade 9

Hearn & Christian in Colts. interesting battle.

PR

Not even close Christian was probably the best half in the comp last year v a kid from school. Christian may well play a bit of Prems this year IMHO.

Saying UQ and Brothers are favorites is a bit like saying the sun will rise in the east.

Having said that you are probably selling Souths a bit short given that they won Colts 1 and 2 last year both prem and GF.

I expect some of the School boys to find this year pretty challenging which is as it should be given they will be playing against boys who are either the same age or even a year older as we transition from u19 to U20.

The interesting thing will be seeing how clubs handle the alignment with the senior teams.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Would imagine this will be a bit of a mix of lads
3F511E64-B27D-4520-A1A1-A729738C04FD.jpeg

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Big game Saturday night... Two of the early favourites going at each other.
I have heard a rumour that BBC’s Lukas Ripley may have headed to Souths... Big win for the Magpies if true. All the mail was he was headed to UQ.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think it will be a bit of a blended squad rather than Colts 1 .

The Reds U20's are not playing in the curtain raiser, so that takes out a few.

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
Just curious, why were Souths not invited to the curtain raiser? As the defending champions you’d think that’d count for something or is this just another case of clubland bias?

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Brothers v UQ
Anyone go & see it? UQ looked dominant up front... Brothers lots to return.

Could that be the Grand Final Replay in February... I am pretty sure Bond will be in that conversation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.