• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2022

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Norths v Souths

They are playing this one on the cricket oval at Shaw Park because a cricket score it will be. Souths forwards to run amok on a green top that lead to plenty of boundaries for Souths classy , but young , backline

UQ v Wests

UQ probably figure this will be a cakewalk, however, are at risk of a cakeholing. UQ should have their way with Wests forward pack which should see them win out. Should. Maybe. Interesting that Wests strip is green and yellow. Good camouflage colours for an ambush. If Wests do get up it won't be a heavy artillery attack through the forwards it will be the 20 year old ex TGS halves , Wilso Cochrane and Bax Franey picking off UQ's line with Darcy Reed letting a couple of rooks know that School isn't out yet. Of course Wests have to win some ball first. So there is that.

Brothers v GPS

Depends on who is available for Jeeps. Both teams probably won 3 or 4 more games than they should have last year on account of their respective stars - Werchon for Brothers and Aubrey for Jeeps. Both those guys won't play Colts this year and Baker probably won't either (for Jeeps) Jeeps don't have a 10. Brothers do. Brothers forwards are hacks but physical. I think they'll bully Jeeps who will cop heaps in the physical battle and what Brothers lack in talent across many spots on the park they'll make up for in muscle , bullshit and bluster. However, Brothers don't look all that aerodynamic or fleet of foot anywhere and one thing Jeeps will do is keep the ball alive and support the ball runner. Brothers by a rosary bead.

Easts v Sunnybank

Sort of a reunion for a few junior Dragons that are now Tigers. Sounds very Darwinian. Tiger Kings to slay the Dragons in what projects to a 4th trial - training run for BEasts. Still sounds very Darwinian.
Geez Garry where did you get the oil on the South’s v Norths game

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
UQ forwards were all over wests. The UQ backline needs to sharpen up. Think there was some cattle missing.
Agreed - the Uni scrum really dominated. Impressive forward pack. Wests battled hard but were simply outgunned. The UQ backs looks good at times but I think combinations are still a work in progress. UQ Colts had a good day with all teams winning over the doggies. Long way to go though....

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Geez Garry where did you get the oil on the South’s v Norths game
Haha yeah I know. What a shocker.

Based on pre-season form I did think Souths would win off the back off a couple of forwards being available that weren't and then their Junior Wallaby halves taking advantage. Also didn't bank of 1 or 2 guys from Norths stepping up that look set for big seasons.

Elsewhere, Jeeps seemed to be in the game at 14-13 well into the 2nd half with Brothers running away with it in the closing stages. Losing both their Centres for any extended period will hurt them

UQ look like they are just going to monster teams with stuffing set piece deliverance and crash ball plus around the corner forward runners down their opponent's gob. Pretty simple and basic.

Good to see Sunnybank keeping the score board respectable.

Courier Mail's Team of the Week:

15. Hamish Muir ( Norths )
14. Declan Cannon ( Sunnybank )
13. Tim Ryan (Brothers)
12. Fergus Nasser (University)
11. Will Johnston (Wests)
10. Harry Grant (Brothers)
9. George Stokes (Norths)
8. Hugo Perceval (University)
7. Zac Hough (Wests)
6.Taine Riori (Easts)
5.Hamish Muller (Brothers)
4.Ronan Austin (University)
3.Harrison Swane (University)
2. Dante Santos (Souths)
1.Charlie Wigan (University)

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Based on pre-season form I did think Souths would win off the back off a couple of forwards being available that weren't and then their Junior Wallaby halves taking advantage. Also didn't bank of 1 or 2 guys from Norths stepping up that look set for big seasons.

Elsewhere, Jeeps seemed to be in the game at 14-13 well into the 2nd half with Brothers running away with it in the closing stages. Losing both their Centres for any extended period will hurt them

UQ look like they are just going to monster teams with stuffing set piece deliverance and crash ball plus around the corner forward runners down their opponent's gob. Pretty simple and basic.

13. Tim Ryan (Brothers)
7. Zac Hough (Wests)
6.Taine Riori (Easts)
2. Dante Santos (Souths)
Who is providing that coverage??? First time CM have ever shown colts any interest

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

13. Tim Ryan (Brothers)
7. Zac Hough (Wests)
6.Taine Riori (Easts)
2. Dante Santos (Souths)
Not sure all of these would have made my selections but pretty close.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^Fair enough.

The Courier Mail deserve a lot of credit just to give visibility to the competition. As to who gets a stroke and who doesn't isn't the point so long as the competition is getting some attention and creating some interest.

Coaches are always going to feed a few names to the scribes , who , obviously can't be at each game anyway.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

^Fair enough.

The Courier Mail deserve a lot of credit just to give visibility to the competition. As to who gets a stroke and who doesn't isn't the point so long as the competition is getting some attention and creating some interest.

Coaches are always going to feed a few names to the scribes , who , obviously can't be at each game anyway.
Love that rugby is again getting some main stream media attention.

I always thought that TOTW was designed to draw our attention to particular players and generate conversations and therefore some more interest and involvement in the game.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I agree. But I think it already does that . Doesn't it ? Watchers at any level will have their view, but more pertinently, players will have their view and some will fire up and want to play against someone they think they are miles better than , or , they believe they are equal to or not as good as but want to test themselves against and see how they go.

And this drive from within Coaches and Players is what invariably should lift the standard and the interest.

Of course if mismanaged within a team you can have players playing for themselves and individual recognition. And everyone knows how that pans out.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
And the year before and did a great job.
Shows how often I flick through the courier mail. That's great. Is that online only or in print as well?

The Australian looks to be giving less inches to rugby.... but that is for another forum.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I was talking with a bloke this morning - whose opinion I trust , who watched the Norths and Souths game on the weekend.

He reckons Norths are for real and especially singled out their backs, and in particular , their 9 , 10 , 13 and 15. Also have an obvious game plan / strategy which they execute very well - a nod to their Coaching and how well they are prepared.

My man is neither Norths or Souths aligned - just happened to see the game.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not this again. I believe we all trust that the CM team of the week come down to if you made a break, score a try, wear the right colour headgear to get notice. Who really care?

If the reporter get to one game and pick 7 player from that particular game out of the 120 plus that take the field for the 4 Colt game, who take it serious?

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Indeed. Actually, I do not mind the concept. It is fostering conversations and commentary like this thread for a start.
The selection process might need fine tuning because ten players from three clubs does sound a bit out of balance.
And none from Jeeps? Maybe they are playing as a team like last year and no stand outs?
The Courier Mail did a story before R1 on players to watch this year including Colts:

Wests - named "everyone" including their 2 picks for this week's TOTW
GPS - named quite a few but half of them played Prem Grade or were injured. No spots in the TOTW.
UQ - named 3, one of whom was in the TOTW
Brothers - named 8 players including 2 who made TOTW
Bond - Bye in R1 but named 4 players so they might be looking for their names in next week's TOTW
Norths - named 6 and one made the TOTW
Souths - 4 nominated but none of them were in TOTW. I believe one was injured and one played Prem Grade as a fresh reserve
Easts - 4 named and one made the TOTW
Sunnybank - named 2 including. Neither made the TOTW but one is coming back from knee surgery in Round 2.

So Courier Mail drinking its own cordial with 7 players they reported as 'ones to watch' in 2022 making the first TOTW.
But maybe they are the ONES to watch.

Who are your ones to watch? And who wins this week?

Wests v Brothers @ Sylvan Rd
GPS v Easts @ Yoku Rd
UQ v Norths @ St Lucia
Sunnybank v Bond @ Sunnybank

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Haven't seen all teams play yet but from team lists, and recent results here is my multi-bet

Brothers
Easts
UQ
Sunnybank