• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2022

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
There was a lot of Colts eligible talent on the premier grade team/bench for wests this past weekend. However they didn’t suit up for the colts match earlier in the day. (Managing egos or ahead in their development??)

I don’t think the wests boys should feature in the couriermail TOTW - but then the pundits should factor that into the equation when evaluating wests colts program as a whole & why scoreline might of been so large - did brothers have any u20s rostered only to play premier grade?

would of been nice to see Cooper-Jones, Gordon, Vaihu & Maiva join Zac Hough In colts land on weekend as brothers is always a good bench mark team - year in/year out they are the team to beat.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
There was a lot of Colts eligible talent on the premier grade team/bench for wests this past weekend. However they didn’t suit up for the colts match earlier in the day. (Managing egos or ahead in their development??)

I don’t think the wests boys should feature in the couriermail TOTW - but then the pundits should factor that into the equation when evaluating wests colts program as a whole & why scoreline might of been so large - did brothers have any u20s rostered only to play premier grade?

would of been nice to see Cooper-Jones, Gordon, Vaihu & Maiva join Zac Hough In colts land on weekend as brothers is always a good bench mark team - year in/year out they are the team to beat.
Totally agree - with the roster and facilities they have available you would think the dogs could do better than bottom rung in both Prems n Colts.

Personally I think as a colt you play colts or prem - doubling up in Reggie’s would seem to unstabilise both the senior and lower ranks.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't think Cullin Jones is Colts eligible - but I will say that Zac Hough made zero difference to the outcome the prior week at UQ and then made no impact in Reggies either. If you ran him again last weekend v Brothers Colts with Maiva, Gordon (M) and Vahiu (D) the end score line might improve by 10 to 14 points ( a try added in attack and a try saved in defense ) - but it still be a shellacking in the final result.

Maiva v Muller and Bridgeman. No advantage.

Gordon(M) v Grant. No real advantage. And then it's worthwhile noting that you have a 2nd play maker at 12 in either Benn Dalle Cort or Lastus Aukaki if he's healthy.

Vahiu trying to create in inner midfield against a very hard stick 'n jam defense with Brothers hard working back row ? I don't see it.
Or what about trying to take on the impressive Ryan, Tapuosi, and Waia on the outside ? All of whom are overly physical and capable outside defenders. Don't see that one either. To be honest , he's a better creator than Jordyn Bell but I'd rather have Jordyn Bell's defense at 12 , Come to think of it I'd rather have Peron Faimolo (playing 9 in 2's ) over both of them at 12 , play DV at 13 - which pushes Reed to 15 and Free to the other wing.

Hough, Maiva and Vahiu are Colts players and likely impactful ones against middling to poorer teams. If you can name at least 3 or 4 players at their position in Colts Rugby or that are Colts eligible that you could make a serious case for as to who is better now and where they project ......it probably underscores the point.

Gordon, M, is probs a developing Prem Grade 10 on a middle of the road team that isn't really going for it but probably not yet on a team that is serious about contending.

Last edited:

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Easts v Wests

Another bonus point for Easts this weekend with the sun already setting on Wests season.

Easts 19.5-

UQ v Souths

Same old story here. UQ's pack to demolish their opposition and the game to be a bit of a meat and 3 veggies yawn fest with desert (that never gets served) on the left wing

UQ under 21.5 points - $1.50
UQ over 21.5 points - $2.50

Bond v GPS

According to dispatches no one got a hand on Carsen Patu last week.

Hands on Patu $1.80 / Hands off Patu $2.00

Bond 11.5-

Norths v Brothers

Brothers are mean nasty cusses. They're the Doolin Daltons of this comp who know how to put a pistol whuppin on a tenderfoot.

In the first 10m of the game last week it was 14-0 as UQ forwards (and Charlie Wigan in particular) were having their way with them. UQ went to sleep ,probably on account of pedestrian play, and Norths found a couple of pebbles for their sling shot that nearly felled their Goliath like opponent. Brothers will be taking no foot off a no throat goddammit.

With a superior backline to UQ - 9 through to 15 ( sans 11 ) , Brothers will know how to kick their heels up and dance their jig in attack and then dig their heels in in defense.

Brothers are flying high right now off the back of a couple of big results and this one will be no different.

Brothers 13.5 -

Last edited:

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Easts v Wests

Another bonus point for Easts this weekend with the sun already setting on Wests season.

Easts 19.5-

UQ v Souths

Same old story here. UQ's pack to demolish their opposition and the game to be a bit of a meat and 3 veggies yawn fest with desert (that never gets served) on the left wing

UQ under 22.5 points - $3.00

Bond v GPS

Bond 11.5-

Norths v Brothers

Brothers are mean nasty cusses. They're the Doolin Daltons of this comp who know how to put a pistol whuppin on a tenderfoot.

In the first 10m of the game last week it was 14-0 as UQ forwards (and Charlie Wigan in particular) were having their way with them. UQ went to sleep ,probably on account of pedestrian play, and Norths found a couple of pebbles for their sling shot that nearly felled their Goliath like opponent. Brothers will be taking no foot off a no throat goddammit.

With a superior backline to UQ - 9 through to 15 ( sans 11 ) , Brothers will know how to kick their heels up and dance their jig in attack and then dig their heels in in defense.

Brothers are flying high right now off the back of a couple of big results and this one will be no different.

Brothers 13.5 -
I will take the Souths by less than 22 I fancy them for the win

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Mr Happy Chappy, early markets only have UQ on the under / over on their points scored.

I'm too much of a coward (and a tight ass) to open the book to take your suggested wager.

Probably because I agree with you. Not so much about the Souths win, but I expect there won't be much of a margin in it. It might get to double digits , maybe 50/50 , but there isn't 20 points in it.

If I were pressed, I'd cautiously suggest a line of 11.5 +/-

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Easts v Wests

Easts 19.5-

UQ v Souths

UQ under 21.5 points - $1.50
UQ over 21.5 points - $2.50

Bond v GPS

Bond 11.5-

Norths v Brothers

Brothers 13.5 -
Does the weather influence these odds?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Mr Talent Finder,

Adjusted markets you query ? You bet ! ( see what I did there?)

No change in the Easts v Wests 19.5 -/+

UQ v Souths

Does Tom Lynagh starting at 10 for UQ change things in what has been an anaemic midfield ? You bet ! ( There it goes again )

The match up against Souths Reds Academy / Junior Wallabies , Harry McLaughlin Phillips will be interesting to observe - and before anyone gets too carried away, bear in mind , Lynagh has been lightly raced over the last couple of months and does not have the same familiarity with his team that HMP would have , so , on a greasy wet day , it's probably an advance forgive run on a Heavy 10.

The much heralded, much vaunted Ethan McFarlane comes into 13 with his fellow Students , and so , there is a reasonable basis for gallons of kool aid to be consumed in anticipation as to what this all means in the plethora of opportunities he will have with the first genuine 10 he has played with in the last couple of seasons.

So without ado , adjusted markets are as follows :

Line : UQ 17.5 -$1.90 / Souths 17.5+ $1.65

Red Kool Aid Consumption in the 24 Hours before kick off * >10 Gallon - $1.35 / < 10 Gallon $2.35
*t and c apply consume responsibly

Bond v GPS

The heavier track likely suits the more fundamentally sound and smaller, more nimble ,GPS pack

Hands on Patu was firmed to $1.03 with the Hands off Patu market blowing out to $10.00. Come get some you Pirates faithful.

GPS midfield , thinner than a Brothers Reserve Grade Coach's hairline , have a better chance to stay in the game and keep it close given the challenging conditions expected.

I still have the Pirates getting up I just don't think there will be as much pillaging. The pillaging is more likely to come from Jeeps back row in lots of breakdown action. It's awesome that the Pirates back row can swash a ball running buckle, however, I suspect they are of the belief that a breakdown is only something that the RACQ should attend. And this is where their blade may be blunted.

Bond 4.5- / GPS 4.5+

Norths v Brothers

The weather likely saves Norths on this one- but if it gets played, Brothers will revel in the conditions and win out in the physical contest.

No change to line.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Bom forecast for tomorrow is only 10-20mm . All the heavy rainfall is predicted for western and central QLD tomorrow, on that basis the bom forecast is right, all games should go ahead. We have seen Bom get it wrong before though.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

So what are the verdicts after round 3?
How did young Lynagh go in colts at Chipsy Wood Oval?