• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2022

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Would like to see Lynagh play more minutes and games so he can build a repoire with the backline.
His kicking was good but too much of it for mine, but I guess he has come from the old blighty.

Souths have got some quality colts that will be worth hanging onto for a few years to bolster their seniors.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Concur with Reg's thoughts on Lynagh - he's class.

No knock on Harry McLaughlin-Phillips , but Tom Lynagh already has pro polish even if he's not quite ready for Super Rugby. Give him this season and next in QPR and let him get seasoned - I don't see where there is any great reason for the Reds or for him to rush it.

I will say this ...albeit with some hesitation , but he might end up being the best 10 prospect out of all the young 10's running around in Australia in a 5 year band between the age of 18 to 23

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Also hats off to Souths. It is clear good things are happening in their Club and especially in their Colts program where they are very competitive in 1's through to 3's . And then you look at when they were last dominant in Colts a few years ago and look at how well their Reggies team has been performing last year and this year.

In the Colts 1 game on the weekend outside of Johnstone and McLaughlin Phillips getting their share of attention - their 2 , 8 , 12 and 15 ...especially their 15 ....... are very impressive.

They are going to be right in the mix this season

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
There’s a score up on Rugby Xplorer , not “final” , but a score nonetheless. Has Wests up 19-10.

Nothing up for Easts v Norths , have Easts called it off as well ?

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
With the bye, I decided to get my rugby fix and watch the Bond v Norths game. I honestly don't think I've seen a worse display of refereeing than what I witnessed yesterday, I really feel for norths it bordered on embarrassing how one sided the game was officiated.

Norths scrum and maul absolutely decimated Bond and then as soon as they'd get some form of field position some obscure penalty would be blown. There was an attacking maul penalty meters out from them scoring that was pulled up and no one seemed to understand why, despite having scored from it minutes earlier. They spent large chunks defending their line against some big Bond runners which was unbelievable to watch despite constantly being penalized. Bond scored from a charge down kick on the try line which was a bit heart breaking to watch, but gee Bond have some big carriers - the physicality both sides showed in the wet was truly incredible.

A number of sideline voices commented the same referee did the Brothers v Norths game 2 weeks earlier and a similar performance of officiating occurred when Norths led most of the 1st half. First time seeing Norths this year and they really do have the makings of a top 4 side, but it appears they can't get a break with the officials. Second time seeing Bond, they will feature at the business end as well I would think, huge pack and sharp backs but have a bit of work to do on their set piece.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
With the bye, I decided to get my rugby fix and watch the Bond v Norths game. I honestly don't think I've seen a worse display of refereeing than what I witnessed yesterday, I really feel for norths it bordered on embarrassing how one sided the game was officiated.

Norths scrum and maul absolutely decimated Bond and then as soon as they'd get some form of field position some obscure penalty would be blown. There was an attacking maul penalty meters out from them scoring that was pulled up and no one seemed to understand why, despite having scored from it minutes earlier. They spent large chunks defending their line against some big Bond runners which was unbelievable to watch despite constantly being penalized. Bond scored from a charge down kick on the try line which was a bit heart breaking to watch, but gee Bond have some big carriers - the physicality both sides showed in the wet was truly incredible.

A number of sideline voices commented the same referee did the Brothers v Norths game 2 weeks earlier and a similar performance of officiating occurred when Norths led most of the 1st half. First time seeing Norths this year and they really do have the makings of a top 4 side, but it appears they can't get a break with the officials. Second time seeing Bond, they will feature at the business end as well I would think, huge pack and sharp backs but have a bit of work to do on their set piece.
Unfortunately have to agree 100% re the ref it was blatantly against Norths. They should be reporting it ie a player Yellow carded for a late hit that simply did not happen and many other wrong calls.

That said Norths played the wrong game plan for mine pushed too many passes and didn’t play for territory, but it was two charge downs one which handed Bond a try and cost Norths the game that hurt them most. That and a terrible lineout.

Despite their huge and much fitter Bond pack Norths totally had their measure and were much better drilled in both scrums and open play.

Norths officials themselves have some issues they had some loudmouth classless youths in Norths camp harassing Bond players from the sideline which was less than ordinary and nothing was done about it.

Monsta

Frank Row (1)

All quite true. But one of the biggest misses by the ref was the headbutt by one of the Bond centres after full time. Resulted in a broken nose for the Norths player. Ref said he didn’t see it so too bad, so sad.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
All quite true. But one of the biggest misses by the ref was the headbutt by one of the Bond centres after full time. Resulted in a broken nose for the Norths player. Ref said he didn’t see it so too bad, so sad.

If the ref didn’t see it and it happened after full time… what do you want to happen?

Hopefully the cameras were still rolling and incident was caught on film - unacceptable behaviour by Bond player if true

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Re : The Bond | Norths headbutt incident........

Who gives a square root whether the ref saw it or not. Others would have.

Bring charges on the grub for assault and remove him from the playing list until the matter is finalised , and if the outcome is against him, then make the removal permanent.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Re : The Bond | Norths headbutt incident........

Who gives a square root whether the ref saw it or not. Others would have.

Bring charges on the grub for assault and remove him from the playing list until the matter is finalised , and if the outcome is against him, then make the removal permanent.
the game is filmed. If the video shows it, the cite the player and let the judiciary handle it

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Years ago at Sunnybank, I think about 30 years ago from memory, a 20'ish young bloke was king hit behind play ,collapsed to the ground and died.

The other young bloke , similarly aged , was done for manslaughter (again from memory) and served time.

An absolute tragedy. And the guy who did this has to carry this around with him for the rest of his life.

If someone was walking down the street and head butted another person and broke their nose there may not be any CCTV footage and there certainly is no "judiciary" in the context you reference. There is a Magistrate though that will likely convict if the evidence is good enough.

Why are players on a Rugby field that engage in this type of thuggery exempt from the same standards that everyone else is subject to in the normal walk of life ?

Video referencing and citing to a Rugby Judiciary be damned where this buffoon likely skips the consequence. There should be zero tolerance for this shit in the game.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Years ago at Sunnybank, I think about 30 years ago from memory, a 20'ish young bloke was king hit behind play ,collapsed to the ground and died.

The other young bloke , similarly aged , was done for manslaughter (again from memory) and served time.

An absolute tragedy. And the guy who did this has to carry this around with him for the rest of his life.

If someone was walking down the street and head butted another person and broke their nose there may not be any CCTV footage and there certainly is no "judiciary" in the context you reference. There is a Magistrate though that will likely convict if the evidence is good enough.

Why are players on a Rugby field that engage in this type of thuggery exempt from the same standards that everyone else is subject to in the normal walk of life ?

Video referencing and citing to a Rugby Judiciary be damned where this buffoon likely skips the consequence. There should be zero tolerance for this shit in the game.
interesting. based on my quick google it was a swinging arm head high tackle.... but from the description - reads just a thuggish

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Am hearing that Tom Lynagh is done for the season in UQ Colts after 2 appearances.

A loss for UQ considering they have only been able to score over 19 points once in 6 games . One of those games was a forgive in the appalling conditions v. Brothers at UQ - although that didn’t stop Brothers going on a rampage and putting 31 points on.

And all 5 of their tries were to the centres and wingers.

In fact , 6 of the 8 tries scored against UQ have been to backs and 9 of 11 tries scored by UQ have been through their forwards.

Brothers , Easts and Souths are the top 3 with Easts beating UQ convincingly on the weekend with Easts 13 , Gus Godwin , a stand out , pretty much doing what he wanted with UQ’s midfield. Bearing in mind that Souths pretty much beat themselves moreso than what UQ won it with two knock ons over the try line .

Wests have come good , Norths look like they’ ve either been screwed or unable to control a couple of fundamental issues with their set piece (lineout) that have cost them in games. Bond are a bit of an undefeated sleeper but haven’t played their toughest games yet of the first round.

These 3 teams with UQ will be nipping at the heels of Souths and fighting out for that 4th spot

Last edited:

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Correction to the above - the first game Lynagh played against Souths they scored 26 points , although 7 of those points were put down to a defensive intercept . The 2nd game against Brothers they were still constrained in appalling conditions, although as noted above , Brothers were still able to put 5 tries on through their centres and wings

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Am hearing that Tom Lynagh is done for the season in UQ Colts after 2 appearances.

A loss for UQ considering they have only been able to score over 19 points once in 6 games . One of those games was a forgive in the appalling conditions v. Brothers at UQ - although that didn’t stop Brothers going on a rampage and putting 31 points on.

And all 5 of their tries were to the centres and wingers.

In fact , 6 of the 8 tries scored against UQ have been to backs and 9 of 11 tries scored by UQ have been through their forwards.

Brothers , Easts and Souths are the top 3 with Easts beating UQ convincingly on the weekend with Easts 13 , Gus Godwin , a stand out , pretty much doing what he wanted with UQ’s midfield. Bearing in mind that Souths pretty much beat themselves moreso than what UQ won it with two knock ons over the try line .

Wests have come good , Norths look like they’ ve either been screwed or unable to control a couple of fundamental issues with their set piece (lineout) that have cost them in games. Bond are a bit of an undefeated sleeper but haven’t played their toughest games yet of the first round.

These 3 teams with UQ will be nipping at the heels of Souths and fighting out for that 4th spot
He's apparently been called over the the Reds squad in Christchurch, though unlikely to play:

When you say done do you mean he's getting called up to prem grade on his return?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I’ve heard he’ll have a few more weeks and will be eased into premier off the bench. But how bad is Twidale’s injury? And where the hell is James Dalgleish???
Heard hamstring tweak for Twidale, no idea the grade of that though so it could be another week through to another 8 I guess. Makes it sound like it's going to be longer. Maybe the bench strategy is going to have him coming on fresh for decent stints rather than after a game in colts?

Don't think I've heard anything about Dagliesh since the season started.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well , the original mail that Lynagh would start off in Colts was correct. Twidale seems very well regarded and is also a premiership winning veteran 10 , and clearly as the evidence now shows was the preferred starter. Alex Horan is also in the wings and about ready to come back off injury.

Whilst unfortunate for Twidale its a good opportunity for Lynagh to likely get some Prem opportunity over the next few rounds and then see what happens .

But yeah , I don't see him back in Colts. I'm guessing he'll either win the spot off Twidale ( in Twidale's injury absence ) or fresh bench if he doesn't.

But pretty good problem for UQ to have with Grealy , The Oates Brothers , Ripley , Horan , Twidale and perhaps Lynagh fitting into their backline with Molloy , TJ and Kiel in behind and then Thomas , Hearn and Prendergast at 9

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Lynagh will likely be off with the under 20s at various stages this year so there should be room for sharing that 10 jersey with Twidale once he's back.