• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2022

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Also on the Easts thing and the recent phenomena of BBC guys there .........they were all the boarding house guys from 2019 and 2020. Probably started with their Colts Coach's heavy involvement in the pathways and these cohorts coming through 15's and 16's and (I'd speculate) probably started with Jacob Blyton and then James Durheim. Once these 2 from 2019 were on board....guys like Hough (despite ultimate becoming a Wests Rebel) Homan, Annan and Ween (who disappeared and went back to league I think) followed suit. Kalolo is a different story. Was never a boarder. Was an Easts Junior in U14's en route to GPS half way through that season and then left BBC in 16's to chase a path in NZ and then lobbed back at UQ last year before arriving back at Easts this year.

Van Nek was 2 or 3 years ahead of all these guys and was an IGS kid before finishing his last 2 years at BBC. Separate story and more about opportunity as to how he ended up at Easts.

But in terms of the BBC boarders ....it would have started with Blyton and Durheim .....especially Durheim that was heavily involved and influential with the boarding lads 1 or 2 years below.

When it's all said and done there are only 4 or 5 or so active old boys playing. All but 1, ex-boarders

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
On Lion's point on Jeeps , that's all cool and those guys are all fair players. I've always thought Ethan Lucy is a lot better than people realise.

But Confucius's points are good ones . That's a lot of talent to lose out of your front row and Geraghty was the guy for me that made that back row hum more last year than either Baker or Howse

Bas Ward was huge for that team , Floyd was obviously huge for that team and the sole difference to at least 3 or 4 wins that they wouldn't have won without him .

And .......Harry Barker is also a massive loss. One of the best and toughest finishers in the competition last year.

Without the same front row talent and no playmakers in the halves and without Aubrey and Barker at the back .....Jeeps are about where they should be despite a chub here and there for some of the names

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
^Not to take away from your hincty sweets, however, not so much a sledge on Norths as much as it is the truth on UQ. And that is they aren't very good and I think will miss the 4 or just scrape in

In 80% of their games this year they haven't been able to get past 19 points

And Norths should have dusted them in the 1st round at UQ if not for fuck up after fuck up in their line out , but to be fair , I understand Norths played with a true 2 that game
A couple of interesting games this weekend.
5v4: Norths v Easts
2nd hitout in two weeks - close battle last time and if there’s a few key changes may swing things Easts way

7v1 Souths v Brothers
Solid win over 2nd placed Uni by south’s last week. Brothers lost by 1 to GPS and up by 6 over Norths - average win was over 30 points for previous 8games, be interesting.

3v6 Bond v Wests
Wests got up by two in last game - Bond have won their last 3 - yet another interesting matchup

9v8 Sunnybank v GPS
GPS have shown they can beat anyone in the comp after their win over undefeated top dogs brothers but they have struggled to be consistent however should take the chocolates here over winless Sunnybank.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder whether Souths can storm home down the stretch - and I think they can and claim a finals spot. Harry McLaughlin Phillips at 10 pretty much clowned UQ as he did what he liked through the midfield and won the game for Souths last week. Like Norths, Souths were the better team v UQ in round 1 and if not for a dropped ball over the goal line and a thrown intercept try against momentum would have won the R1 match up.

Souths are firing on all cylinders , their forward pack is competitive in the set piece and hard working around the ground - and fit to finish out games (something you couldn't say on Souths Colts teams the last 2 or 3 seasons) With Johnston and Harry MvP they have the best halves in the competition and they have some talent out wide to finish.

With Brothers, Wests have the equal 2nd best halves combination (Cochrane and Kerr) but their forwards aren't good enough or fit enough and so what talent they do have in their backline - which is enough to win meaningful games - goes to waste. I don't see Wests making the 4 - or if they do they'll be battling UQ and Norths for the 4th spot - and I like Norths to come out on top amongst these 3 teams just for the fact they have more ticker than the other 2

Easts are hard to gauge. They are sort of like an Ekka Show Bag. Looks great from the outside and then when you look inside you get disappointed. They'll make the 4 off the back of Sam Farrar (who I think is their best player / biggest influence in winning games) set piece dominance with Craig and Riori (and working in Tom Twaddell more consistently) the under rated and hard working back row of Wilson and Stoddart around the ground - and making Gus Godwin their featured back at 13 and getting him the ball on front foot off set piece and rolling phase in space. Homan hasn't hit his potential and what he's capable of and the jury has always been out on Annan.

So I'm really backing Souths then Norths to make the 4 with Brothers and then Easts|Bond|Wests|UQ (in that order) battling for 4th spot

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Does anyone know the status of Jake Tierney?
He started the season in prems colts
Was elevated to UQ Prems.

he then seemed to drop off both teams radars entirely as he was starting hooker for reserve grade for a couple weeks.

hadn’t seen his name for awhile but then I noticed he was back in Prem colts coming off the bench.

Has he been injured or something? Or has he been unseated by Noah Hartley? (Current hooker for colts1)

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Does anyone know the status of Jake Tierney?
He started the season in prems colts
Was elevated to UQ Prems.

he then seemed to drop off both teams radars entirely as he was starting hooker for reserve grade for a couple weeks.

hadn’t seen his name for awhile but then I noticed he was back in Prem colts coming off the bench.

Has he been injured or something? Or has he been unseated by Noah Hartley? (Current hooker for colts1)

Was injured at the Sunnybank game.
Played some time last week on the return to full duties pathway

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stuart Tualima(younger brother of Rebels bound Tuaina) played well in colts, then packed it up as a reserve for premier grade and scored a try off a pass from his older brother.

the kid has a big future

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stuart Tualima(younger brother of Rebels bound Tuaina) played well in colts, then packed it up as a reserve for premier grade and scored a try off a pass from his older brother.

the kid has a big future

Hopefully in Qld.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I wonder whether Souths can storm home down the stretch - and I think they can and claim a finals spot. Harry McLaughlin Phillips at 10 pretty much clowned UQ as he did what he liked through the midfield and won the game for Souths last week. Like Norths, Souths were the better team v UQ in round 1 and if not for a dropped ball over the goal line and a thrown intercept try against momentum would have won the R1 match up.

Souths are firing on all cylinders , their forward pack is competitive in the set piece and hard working around the ground - and fit to finish out games (something you couldn't say on Souths Colts teams the last 2 or 3 seasons) With Johnston and Harry MvP they have the best halves in the competition and they have some talent out wide to finish.

With Brothers, Wests have the equal 2nd best halves combination (Cochrane and Kerr) but their forwards aren't good enough or fit enough and so what talent they do have in their backline - which is enough to win meaningful games - goes to waste. I don't see Wests making the 4 - or if they do they'll be battling UQ and Norths for the 4th spot - and I like Norths to come out on top amongst these 3 teams just for the fact they have more ticker than the other 2

Easts are hard to gauge. They are sort of like an Ekka Show Bag. Looks great from the outside and then when you look inside you get disappointed. They'll make the 4 off the back of Sam Farrar (who I think is their best player / biggest influence in winning games) set piece dominance with Craig and Riori (and working in Tom Twaddell more consistently) the under rated and hard working back row of Wilson and Stoddart around the ground - and making Gus Godwin their featured back at 13 and getting him the ball on front foot off set piece and rolling phase in space. Homan hasn't hit his potential and what he's capable of and the jury has always been out on Annan.

So I'm really backing Souths then Norths to make the 4 with Brothers and then Easts|Bond|Wests|UQ (in that order) battling for 4th spot
Souths on the move in Colts 1. Uni last week and Brothers this week. The next two weeks of Easts and Bond will be crucial. Harry Mc-P coming back from injury has made an incredible difference.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Souths on the move in Colts 1. Uni last week and Brothers this week. The next two weeks of Easts and Bond will be crucial. Harry Mc-P coming back from injury has made an incredible difference.
South’s are the only team to have beaten Brothers and they’ve done it twice- well done they are really on the move.

Biggest margin in the round was 7points so it’s a healthy competition .

Bond lost to west’s but out scored them 2 tries to two

Good win by easts who were a man down most of the match due to a red card but were the better team on the day, Norths had two tries scored against them that came from losing their own lineouts which happens regularly to them.

1red and 7yellows for the round so there’s plenty of passion in this competition.

Ozwhip

Bob McCowan (2)
South’s are the only team to have beaten Brothers and they’ve done it twice- well done they are really on the move.

Biggest margin in the round was 7points so it’s a healthy competition .

Bond lost to west’s but out scored them 2 tries to two

Good win by easts who were a man down most of the match due to a red card but were the better team on the day, Norths had two tries scored against them that came from losing their own lineouts which happens regularly to them.

1red and 7yellows for the round so there’s plenty of passion in this competition.
"Souths are the only team to have beaten Brothers and they've done it twice....."
Really?..... Screenshot_20220724-182954_Rugby Xplorer.jpgScreenshot_20220724-183029_Rugby Xplorer.jpg

Bond coach in 1st Grade was an absolute embarrassment on Saturday. He was standing at the university end and berating, swearing and abusing his players. One of the parents of the boys in his team had to go over to him and have a word about his attitude. All is not well at Bond this year.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Bond coach in 1st Grade was an absolute embarrassment on Saturday. He was standing at the university end and berating, swearing and abusing his players. One of the parents of the boys in his team had to go over to him and have a word about his attitude. All is not well at Bond this year.
Prem Colts or Senior Prems?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^That makes more sense. Grant Andersen is very well thought and regarded by all and sundry as a quality operator.