• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2022

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Could also be a Mummy - Daddy hurt feelings post not realising that Little Johnny is not in School anymore.

Having said that, if what was carried on with involved personal verbal abuse under the guise of "being an old school tough c- - - " then that is not OK. There is a way to motivate your team or an individual - which may even entail giving them a "rev" but it should never be personal or profane in a derogatory , demeaning sense. The better Coaches understand this.

On a broader level, unfortunately, there is a 20% to 30% fuckwit factor around the grounds, players , coaches , club officials alike that think they're as hard as granite which give them license to carry on like a pelican.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It's a shame they got rid of Super 20s. I personally enjoyed watching those games. I'm clearly bored but this would be my squad if they had a QLD U20 Side.

Prop
Tane Pardoe (Easts)
Saipele Tamilo (Souths)
*Haven't seen much from props- Would need 3 more*

Hooker
Max Craig (Easts)
Jake Tierney (UQ)
Angus Sawtell (Souths)

Lock
Lopeti Faifua (Wests)
Taine Riori (Easts)
Cooper Bridgeman (Brothers)
Jack Small (Norths)

Back Row
Nick Baker (GPS)
Alec Robinson (Wests)
John Bryant (Souths)
Tevita Mapa (Brothers)
Carsen Patu (Bond)
Taelyn Nukunuku (Norths)

Halfback
Kalani Thomas (UQ)
Louis Werchon (Brothers)
Connor O'Regan (Norths)

Fly-Half
Harry Grant (Brothers)
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips (Souths)

Centre
Taj Annan (Easts)
Lastus Aukai (Brothers)
Jarrod Homan (Easts)

Wing
Athen Waia-McGuiggan (Brothers)
Darcy Reed (Wests)
Ethyn Martin (Bond)

Fullback
Mac Grealy (UQ)
Floyd Aubrey (GPS)

NOTE- I haven't seen a heap of GPS and Bond so hence the lack of players there. Who am I missing from other teams too?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

It's a shame they got rid of Super 20s. I personally enjoyed watching those games. I'm clearly bored but this would be my squad if they had a QLD U20 Side.

Prop
Tane Pardoe (Easts)
Saipele Tamilo (Souths)
*Haven't seen much from props- Would need 3 more*

Hooker
Max Craig (Easts)
Jake Tierney (UQ)
Angus Sawtell (Souths)

Lock
Lopeti Faifua (Wests)
Taine Riori (Easts)
Cooper Bridgeman (Brothers)
Jack Small (Norths)

Back Row
Nick Baker (GPS)
Alec Robinson (Wests)
John Bryant (Souths)
Tevita Mapa (Brothers)
Carsen Patu (Bond)
Taelyn Nukunuku (Norths)

Halfback
Kalani Thomas (UQ)
Louis Werchon (Brothers)
Connor O'Regan (Norths)

Fly-Half
Harry Grant (Brothers)
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips (Souths)

Centre
Taj Annan (Easts)
Lastus Aukai (Brothers)
Jarrod Homan (Easts)

Wing
Athen Waia-McGuiggan (Brothers)
Darcy Reed (Wests)
Ethyn Martin (Bond)

Fullback
Mac Grealy (UQ)
Floyd Aubrey (GPS)

NOTE- I haven't seen a heap of GPS and Bond so hence the lack of players there. Who am I missing from other teams too?

Heres a couple of ideas. Likewise not familiar with all the clubs but these guys have form and have stood out a bit for me this year.

Front Row
Jaiden Christensen (Brothers Prem grade) (LHP)
Tim Fainganuku (West Prem Grade) (THP)

Locks
Luke Shaw (UQ Colts) - 6'7"

Backrow
Lachie Howse (GPS) (7/8)- Way better than Tavita Mapa.
Michael Van Der Schiff (UQ) (6/5)

Halfback
Willem Johnstone (Souths) -

Centre
Gus Ruskanowski (GPS) - tough

Wing
Ben Macmahon (UQ) Speed to burn

westydog01

Frank Row (1)
I'm thinking the Doggies will jump into the four this week at the expense of UQ, with Bond to second and easts to third. That might see the final four for the year.

Could also be a Mummy - Daddy hurt feelings post not realising that Little Johnny is not in School anymore.

Having said that, if what was carried on with involved personal verbal abuse under the guise of "being an old school tough c- - - " then that is not OK. There is a way to motivate your team or an individual - which may even entail giving them a "rev" but it should never be personal or profane in a derogatory , demeaning sense. The better Coaches understand this.

On a broader level, unfortunately, there is a 20% to 30% fuckwit factor around the grounds, players , coaches , club officials alike that think they're as hard as granite which give them license to carry on like a pelican.
No it wasnt Mummy and Daddy having a whine, the parent that was speaking with the coach was pretty shocked by how a grown man was speaking to a barely 18 year old kid, another persons kid. There was "you stupid f**** C***" being thrown around "Players name you dumb C***" It was pretty embarrassing to be honest.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
In terms of "best of 20's" chat ( above ) based on 80% of what I have seen ( IE : actual form or dominance through the season so far ) and 20% on unique positional upside / flashes of dominance I'd go with :

Team 1

1. Carsen Patu (Bond)
2. Max Craig (Easts)
3. Angus Ward (UQ)
4. Taine Riori (Easts)
5. Lachie Shaw (UQ)
6. John Bryant (Souths)
7. Jonathan Burnett (UQ)
8. Leandro Tupi (Souths)
9. Sam Farrar (Easts)
10. Harry McLaughlin Phillips (Souths)
11. Will McCulloch (Norths)
12. Campbell Moller (GPS)
13. Tim Ryan (Brothers)
14. Gus Godwin (Easts)
15. Hamish Muir (Norths)

Team 2

1. Jack Booker (UQ)
2. Jake Tierney (UQ)
3. Tane Pardoe (Easts)
4. Dominic Thygesen (Souths)
5. Cooper Bridgeman (Brothers)
6. Leo McCarthy (Brothers)
7. Henry Wilson (Easts)
8. Michael Van Der Schyff (UQ)
9. Willem Johnston (Souths)
10. Tom Lynagh (Wests)
11. Ethyn Martin (Bond)
12. Gus Rozanowski (GPS)
13. Noah Navarro (Souths)
14. Ben McMahon (UQ)
15. Taj Annan (Easts)

I haven't included the following Australian U20 Reps who could play but haven't played Colts games .......Mac Grealy , Floyd Aubrey, Lukas Ripley, Mason Gordon , David Vahiu, Kalani Thomas, Louis Werchon, Daniel Maieva and Nick Baker

If I included them I would :

*put Grealy in for Muir in Team 1 and drop Annan from Team 2 and move Muir into 15
*put Ripley in on the Blind Wing (11) in Team 1 , and Floyd Aubrey into 14 on Team 1. Will McCulloch goes to 11 in Team 2 for Ethyn Martin , Gus Godwin goes to 13 in place of Noah Navarro on Team 2
*put Thomas in at 9 on Team 1 and move Farrar into 9 on Team 2 ( dropping Johnston ) Was close with Louis Werchon in place of Farrar - but Farrar for me by a whisker

Gordon and Maieva don't make my cut. Insofar as Gordon is concerned - Harry MVP and Tom Lynagh are better. So is Harry Grant who is unlucky to miss the cut and a guy like Lachlan Kerr has had an outstanding season at 10 for Wests. I can't put Maieva ahead of Bryant or Tupi, or Nick Baker (who isn't a 7 ) nor can I put him in front of Leo McCarthy or Michael VDS. You could out VDS into the 2nd row and knock out one of QLD U18 Rep Dom Thygesen or Cooper Bridgeman - but I wouldn't. Nor would I for Nick Baker at this point. I prefer Bryant, Tupi, McCarthy and VDS at this point.

I included U20 Rep Zac Hough as eligible ( who has played Colts ) but he doesn't make my cut. I have him behind Burnett , Wilson , Howse, Stoddart . In truth I even think Tevita Mapa is a better player and I'd taken him over Hough.

I didn't include UQ's Lachie Pheely in the mix due to front row constructs / balance considerations , and , work rate around the park needs to improve notwithstanding his set piece skill.

Last edited:

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Hamish Muir is the best fullback not playing Prems.
I like Ethyn Martin on the left wing.
I would have Jared Homan on the right wing
Not sure about centres. Not that many good 10s running around this year putting them through gaps...so maybe Lastus at 12 and Moller at 13
HMP from Souths might be the pick but Grant also pretty good.
Louis would be my 9 but I like Farrer from Easts too. Good kicking game like Werchon.
Sam Mata'afa would be my 8 but he is in Prem grade so I am going with the Bond 8 - Zane Misios
Not too many out and out 7s running around. Wilson at Easts or Mitchell at Bond.
Carsen Patu at 6.
Bridgeman and Riori would be the locks
In terms of "best of 20's" chat ( above ) based on 80% of what I have seen ( IE : actual form or dominance through the season so far ) and 20% on unique positional upside / flashes of dominance I'd go with :

Team 1

1. Carsen Patu (Bond)
2. Max Craig (Easts)
3. Angus Ward (UQ)
4. Taine Riori (Easts)
5. Lachie Shaw (UQ)
6. John Bryant (Souths)
7. Jonathan Burnett (UQ)
8. Leandro Tupi (Souths)
9. Sam Farrar (Easts)
13. Tim Ryan (Brothers)
14. Gus Godwin (Easts)
15. Hamish Muir (Norths)

Team 2

1. Jack Booker (UQ)
2. Jake Tierney (UQ)
3. Tane Pardoe (Easts)
7. Henry Wilson (Easts)
10. Tom Lynagh (Wests)
11. Ethyn Martin (Bond)
12. Gus Rozanowski (GPS)
14. Ben McMahon (UQ)
15. Taj Annan (Easts)

I haven't included the following Australian U20 Reps who could play but haven't played Colts games .......Floyd Aubrey, Lukas Ripley, Mason Gordon , Kalani Thomas , Daniel Maieva , Nick Baker

*put Aubrey in for Muir in Team 1 and drop Annan from Team 2 and move Muir into 15
*put Ripley in on the Blind Wing (11) in Team 1 , and move McCulloch into 11 on Team 2 in place of Martin.
*put Thomas in at 9 on Team 1 and move Farrar into 9 on Team 2 ( dropping Johnston )

Gordon and Maieva don't make my cut. Insofar as Gordon is concerned - Harry MVP and Tom Lynagh are better. So is Harry Grant who is unlucky to miss the cut and a guy like Lachlan Kerr has had an outstanding season at 10 for Wests. I can't put Maieva ahead of Bryant or Tupi, or Nick Baker (who isn't a 7 ) nor can I put him in front of Leo McCarthy or Michael VDS. You could out VDS into the 2nd row and knock out one of QLD U18 Rep Dom Thygesen or Cooper Bridgeman - but I wouldn't. Nor would I for Nick Baker at this point. I prefer Bryant, Tupi, McCarthy and VDS at this pointy

I included U20 Rep Zac Hough as eligible ( who has played Colts ) but he doesn't make my cut. I have him behind Burnett , Wilson , Howse, Stoddart . In truth I even think Tevita Mapa is a better player
Has Lynagh gone to Wests?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
So with everybody available .....

Team 1

1. Carsen Patu (Bond)
2. Max Craig (Easts)
3. Angus Ward (UQ)
4. Taine Riori (Easts)
5. Lachie Shaw (UQ)
6. John Bryant (Souths)
7. Jonathan Burnett (UQ)
8. Leandro Tupi (Souths)
9. Kalani Thomas (UQ)
11. Lukas Ripley (UQ)
13. Tim Ryan (Brothers)
14. Floyd Aubrey (GPS)
15. Mac Grealy (UQ)

Team 2

1. Jack Booker (UQ)
2. Jake Tierney (UQ)
3. Tane Pardoe (Easts)
7. Henry Wilson (Easts)
9. Sam Farrar (Easts)
10. Tom Lynagh (UQ)
12. Gus Rozanowski (GPS)
13. Gus Godwin (Easts)
14. Ben McMahon (UQ)
15. Hamish Muir (Norths)

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
So with everybody available .....

Team 1

1. Carsen Patu (Bond)
2. Max Craig (Easts)
3. Angus Ward (UQ)
4. Taine Riori (Easts)
5. Lachie Shaw (UQ)
6. John Bryant (Souths)
7. Jonathan Burnett (UQ)
8. Leandro Tupi (Souths)
9. Kalani Thomas (UQ)
11. Lukas Ripley (UQ)
13. Tim Ryan (Brothers)
14. Floyd Aubrey (GPS)
15. Mac Grealy (UQ)

Team 2

1. Jack Booker (UQ)
2. Jake Tierney (UQ)
3. Tane Pardoe (Easts)
7. Henry Wilson (Easts)
9. Sam Farrar (Easts)
10. Tom Lynagh (Wests)
11. Will McCulloch (Bond)
12. Gus Rozanowski (GPS)
13. Gus Godwin (Souths)
14. Ben McMahon (UQ)
15. Hamish Muir (Easts)
Pretty good
Hamish Muir is Wests
Tom Lynagh is Uni

Jack Small should feature in my humble opinion - would be close to best on ground in every Norths game

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Yes aware of Lynagh and Muir's clubs ....copy and paste mistakes with Lachlan Kerr from Wests previously in at 10 and Taj Annan from Easts

Anyway .....a young guy like Jeeps Tualima is in the conversation at lock , 6 and 8 as well and with regard to Mataafa I just haven't seen him this season , however , Tupi and Bryant in their Colts Team have been nailing it . But based on what I saw of Sam last year at the Bank ......my socks weren't knocked off . I realise that this is a new season though and things might be different . Obviously Souths have him in Prems ahead of both Bryant and Tupi

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
There is U19 national championship competition at the end of the season. October/November.

Are QLD teams going to be Brisbane City and QLD Country?

Does anyone have any further information on the championship? Where etc?

Will be the perfect test to see if the Academy/QRU/RA have learned anything from the Junior Wallaby ineffectual selection process. How do you benchmark a First XV player v Colt?

Team 1

1. Carsen Patu (Bond)
2. Max Craig (Easts)
3. Angus Ward (UQ)
4. Taine Riori (Easts)
5. Lachie Shaw (UQ)
6. John Bryant (Souths)
7. Jonathan Burnett (UQ)
8. Leandro Tupi (Souths)
9. Sam Farrar (Easts)
13. Tim Ryan (Brothers)
14. Gus Godwin (Easts)
15. Hamish Muir (Norths)

Team 2

1. Jack Booker (UQ)
2. Jake Tierney (UQ)
3. Tane Pardoe (Easts)
7. Henry Wilson (Easts)
10. Tom Lynagh (Wests)
11. Ethyn Martin (Bond)
12. Gus Rozanowski (GPS)
14. Ben McMahon (UQ)
15. Taj Annan (Easts)

I haven't included the following Australian U20 Reps who could play but haven't played Colts games .......Mac Grealy , Floyd Aubrey, Lukas Ripley, Mason Gordon , David Vahiu, Kalani Thomas, Louis Werchon, Daniel Maieva and Nick Baker

*put Grealy in for Muir in Team 1 and drop Annan from Team 2 and move Muir into 15
*put Ripley in on the Blind Wing (11) in Team 1 , and Floyd Aubrey into 14 on Team 1. Will McCulloch goes to 11 in Team 2 for Ethyn Martin , Gus Godwin goes to 13 in place of Noah Navarro on Team 2
*put Thomas in at 9 on Team 1 and move Farrar into 9 on Team 2 ( dropping Johnston ) Was close with Louis Werchon in place of Farrar - but Farrar for me by a whisker

Gordon and Maieva don't make my cut. Insofar as Gordon is concerned - Harry MVP and Tom Lynagh are better. So is Harry Grant who is unlucky to miss the cut and a guy like Lachlan Kerr has had an outstanding season at 10 for Wests. I can't put Maieva ahead of Bryant or Tupi, or Nick Baker (who isn't a 7 ) nor can I put him in front of Leo McCarthy or Michael VDS. You could out VDS into the 2nd row and knock out one of QLD U18 Rep Dom Thygesen or Cooper Bridgeman - but I wouldn't. Nor would I for Nick Baker at this point. I prefer Bryant, Tupi, McCarthy and VDS at this point.

I included U20 Rep Zac Hough as eligible ( who has played Colts ) but he doesn't make my cut. I have him behind Burnett , Wilson , Howse, Stoddart . In truth I even think Tevita Mapa is a better player and I'd taken him over Hough.

I didn't include UQ's Lachie Pheely in the mix due to front row constructs / balance considerations , and , work rate around the park needs to improve notwithstanding his set piece skill.
I'd have to agree on your assesment of Zac Hough. I watched him play against Bond on the weekend and he certainly didn't look like the hyped up teenage superstar he was made out to be. Perhaps another schoolboy wonderkid who doesnt push on

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not many of those u20 player have had the opportunity to prove worthy. The next few weekly round give them the chance. But last weekend many had a tough comeback to grade. Maybe a letdown? Maybe confidence?