• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Country - official NRC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm not sure how the allocations are made as to what makes you eligible for City or Country but the number of players from the Reds on the injured list, there appears to be some room to a give a few smokies a chance.

In that list I would include names like Anton Minenko, Simana Halaifonua from Souths, Kristian Satui from Norths (much in the same way Mahina was used last year.) as possible back row options.

I think Scott Malolua has done enough to warrant an opportunity after a solid season at the base for Souths as well. Aside from the halfback fundamentals he obviously possesses, his kicking in the clutch could prove useful.

Also agree on the Wests centre as well.

From GPS I think Ryan Freney's versatility allows him to still get a look in, alongside someone like a Rubin Leilua. Which may unfortunately come at the expense of the highly improved AJ Campbell from Easts (who worked wonders with him this year).

I still cant believe Andrew Muirhead isn't rating a mention as well. Has had a solid year of QPR, has played ITM and is in good form too. Not to mention Varesa Mataitini, the guy knows his way to the try line, and hard to imagine what he could do in a good backline.

The lock position in both squads will be the most intriguing for me as to who will get selected. Excited to see the squads.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
QRU's response to the Vikings' squad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be a formiddable squad set to be announced. However, country will have most of the rising Reds including Taulagi, F'Sautua, FTS, FTA new recuirts L. Tui and Tongan Thor

T

Train Without a Station

Probably a response to JJ Tualaigi playing 15 for Country last year and going pretty well.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
JJ is a liability at best, his first tackle completion is equivalent to Bronwyn Bishops approval rating, and his attempted tackles lower still.
Seems way to interested in clips for a highlight reel without any feel for the game situation or his team mates.

T

Train Without a Station

He was not a liability in the NRC. Which is what we are talking about. He was quite good at that level last year.

NoExit

Frank Row (1)
With selections about NRC teams floating about I find it hard to believe Scotty Malolua will not get a look in for selection off the back of his form this season and more so in the finals series I'm sure should warrant a selection.

Any surprise selection news or rumors anyone is hearing out there?

T

TOCC

Yep JJT was a revelation at NRC level and would have looked even better had he been on the end of the Brisbane City backline

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
Have to agree to disagree on JJ, I just don't see quality in him. Life would be pretty boring if we all thought the same way I suppose.

Samking

Stan Wickham (3)
Questionable as to Mololua getting a gig in the NRC, Yes he had a good year behind the best forward pack In the competition.
But hard to put him ahead of Frisby, Gale, Mullins, Tuttle, or Smith
He has scored 169 points this season playing in 18 games,
2 Try's 45conversions and 23 penalties not bad stats but nothing Any other half back couldn't achieve in the same team.
Smith himself scored 152 points 8 of them been try's and I also remember him kicking a conversion from the side like to draw the game on full time vs the bankers. Yes a good player but not in the same
Category as the ones pushing ahead.

T

TOCC

Tongan Thor rumoured to be aligned to QLD Country, likewise with Souths centres CFS and Van Der Walt.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
do we know whats happening for Lachie, Beau and Quirk? i know Lachie signed with Toulon and wants to come back but what about Beau and Quirky? have they signed with anyone else?

NoExit

Frank Row (1)
Questionable as to Mololua getting a gig in the NRC, Yes he had a good year behind the best forward pack In the competition.
But hard to put him ahead of Frisby, Gale, Mullins, Tuttle, or Smith
He has scored 169 points this season playing in 18 games,
2 Try's 45conversions and 23 penalties not bad stats but nothing Any other half back couldn't achieve in the same team.
Smith himself scored 152 points 8 of them been try's and I also remember him kicking a conversion from the side like to draw the game on full time vs the bankers. Yes a good player but not in the same
Category as the ones pushing ahead.

Some fair points you make there, although to say it was the best forward pack in the comp maybe a stretch given the 9 wins 7 losses going into the finals series.

I also agree he shouldn't be in front of anyone you mentioned just saying he should at the least be in the mix some where. Love the different perspective on players though always makes for good chats.

To be honest the whole Souths Back line Malolua, Teti Tela, Brown, CFS (automatic selection) Mika Tela, Van Der walt, Muirhead should at the least be in the frame not saying selected but in the frame of discussions as they looked the goods during the season and especially during the final series and not to mention the final. Either way whoever gets selected i'm sure will do the region and clubs proud. All the best to the players who eventually have the opportunity to wear the Country or City Jerseys.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and here's the QLD Country team:

RADIKE!!!!

Haydn Hirsimaki* Sunnybank
Sef Fa’agase Reds/University of Queensland
Taniela Tupou Reds/Brothers
Greg Holmes Reds/
Sunnybank
Andrew Parker* Townsville Brothers
James Slipper* Reds/Bond University
(Wallabies Allocation)
Saia Fainga’a* Reds/GPS
(Wallabies Allocation)
Alex Mafi Reds/Bond University
Tonga Ma’afu* University of Queensland
Campbell Wakely* University of Queensland
Lukhan Tui Reds
Richie Arnold Bond University
Phil Potgieter University of Queensland
Cameron Bracewell* Bond University
Rob Simmons* Sunnybank
(Wallabies Allocation)
Jack Cornelson University of Queensland
James Turner* Souths
Conor Mitchell University of Queensland
Ed Quirk Reds/Easts
Radike Samo GPS
Lolo Fakaosilea* Reds/
Sunnybank
Scott Gale* Reds/University of Queensland
James Tuttle* Reds/GPS
Harry Nucifora Bond University
Sam Greene Reds/Brothers
Dion Taumata Bond University
Duncan Paia’aua* Reds/GPS
Matt Gordon Easts
Izaia Perese Easts
Anthony Fainga’a* Reds
Jamie-Jerry Taulagi* Reds/University of Queensland
Tom Banks Reds/University of Queensland
Chris Feauai-Sautia Reds/Souths
Stephen Van Der Walt Souths
Elliot Hagen Easts
Campbell Magnay* Reds/GPS

T

TOCC

Anthony Fainga'a captain again..
Assistant Coaches (Defence): Adrian Thompson

Assistant Coach (Forwards): Anthony Connellan

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fred Burke (prop), Maclean Jones (lock/backrow), Tyrell Barker (lock/backrow), Milton Sikuea (backrow), Tom Pincus (wing/fullback), Pierce Fitzgerald (wing/fullback), Reuban Lealua (prop), AJ Campbell (prop) and Sam Reiser (lock) all part of a wider training squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.