• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD CSS Representative team 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
With the AIC and GPS teams to be announced in the coming weeks, anyone got any predictions for the Combined Secondary Schools representative teams?

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
With the AIC and GPS teams to be announced in the coming weeks, anyone got any predictions for the Combined Secondary Schools representative teams?

Selection trials for CSS this coming weekend at Caloundra - early favourites should be Darling Downs who have 14 of the Downlands 1st XV in the team but strangely not any of the coaches

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Caleb Timu - Ex Nudgee 1st XV now captain of the Marsden SHS Rugby League Team.
I'd even tip that he makes Oz Schools if you look at what he had done last year with such a limited rugby background.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Early Predicitons:

15. Jesse Roach (?)
10. Lorenzo Clarke (Sunnybank SHS)
8. Caleb Timu (Marsden)
7. Shane Hatton (Southern Cross)
6. Chazz Mahina (Marsden)
4. Marcus Tanzer (Downlands)
3. Alex Tongakilo (Keebra)
1. Marley Tane (Downlands)

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
CSS Squad named

CSS Squad below - 8 Downlands players plus somne ex NC and BSHS boys

MacKenzie Barnes John Paul College
Joshua Bowen-Bowyer Trinity Bay SHS
Tylor Bunting Benowa SHS
Nick Chapman St Teresa's Catholic College
Hayden Collins Rockhampton SHS
Jack Cook Downlands
Feao Fotuaika St Francis
Lachlan Hoch Rockhampton Grammar School
Charles Hose Downlands
Stuart Hubbert The Cathedral School, Townsville
Ben Hyne Downlands
Callum James Rockhampton Grammar School
Eamon Kelly St Patricks Mackay
Fa'atausili Lafaitele Victoria Point SHS
Jarrod Lee Downlands
Camryn Lloyd Forest Lake SHS
Jeremiah Lynch Cathedral College
Chazz Mahina Marsden SHS
Morgan Marks The Cathedral School, Townsville
Lachlan McLean Mathew Flinders Anglican College
Cuan Neyland John Paul College
Josh Nicholson Mountain Creek SHS
Samsen O'Neill The Cathedral School, Townsville
Jack Payne St Columbans College
Lochie Penberthy Downlands
Tye Ryan The Cathedral School, Townsville
Tyrone Studer Keebra Park SHS
Nat Taber St Brendans College, Yeppoon
Marley Tane Downlands
Marcus Tanzer Downlands
James Thompson Mountain Creek SHS
Billy Thompson Downlands
Caleb Timu Marsden SHS
Livingstone Tuigamala Wavell SHS
Chris Wellington Burdekin Catholic College
Barlen Wilson Palm Beach Currumbin SHS
Brad Wingti St Teresa's Catholic College
Jaidyn Yeatman The Cathedral School, Townsville

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Last Count 10 Downlands boys. Two call ups Mead and Ryan.

Silverback, given you have seen more of Downlands than anyone else, how do you see CSS going this year.

Using Downlands as a benchmark, they went down to TSS/BGS/BSHS but beat TGS and a depleted Churchie. They have beaten the AIC premiers comfortably. Says to me that CSS will struggle against the GPS teams but will be competitive against the AIC teams

Your thoughts?

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Silverback, given you have seen more of Downlands than anyone else, how do you see CSS going this year.

Using Downlands as a benchmark, they went down to TSS/BGS/BSHS but beat TGS and a depleted Churchie. They have beaten the AIC premiers comfortably. Says to me that CSS will struggle against the GPS teams but will be competitive against the AIC teams

Your thoughts?

When they played Padua, it was padua's first game compared to downlands 5th or 6th, not a true indication, and would be a different story if the 2 teams played now

Silverback

Bob McCowan (2)

Your thoughts?

As usual Downlands struggles for depth and at times self belief when taking on the much larger GPS schools. The current team on a number of occassions finished a match thinking that they could have or should have won, unfortunately a bit late. They were 7 all with TSS at half time, should have beaten BGS and a few errors against BSHS led to 14 point turn araounds. Player wise they have some real talent and guts, evidenced by the Grandfinal appearance of Darling Downs at CSS and 10 picked for CSS. I am yet to see a better lineout from any GPS team and the backs are unheralded but consistently carve up and finish off against GPS teams. I think CSS can produce good teams this year and man on man from what I have seen they have nothing to fear from either GPS team that I have seen announced. However a lot of the CSS squad do not play a lot of rugby and that will most likley be an issue comming up against the rugby skills of both AIC and GPS teams. Time will tell.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm tipping Caleb Timu as the darkhorse for the Qld 1 #6 jersey. Expect maybe a winger or prop aswell to be in the equation as GPS seems low on quality #3's and #11/14's.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm tipping Caleb Timu as the darkhorse for the Qld 1 #6 jersey. Expect maybe a winger or prop aswell to be in the equation as GPS seems low on quality #3's and #11/14's.

If the Downlands lineout is as good as Silverback reckons, one of the jumpers could be a real chance - quality line out jumpers are hard to come by at any level

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Very true, with the exception of Curtis Browning - GPS seems to be struggling there too, maybe also at number 8.

Silverback

Bob McCowan (2)
If the Downlands lineout is as good as Silverback reckons, one of the jumpers could be a real chance - quality line out jumpers are hard to come by at any level

CSS will have a couple of great jumpers Penberthy, Ryan, Tanzer and Hine (Downlands) are all tall kids and confident up high. Tane has been good at 1 for Downlands. Timu as discussed, Yeatman & O'Neil (Townsville) and Mead (Downlands,scored a good try agaisnt BSHS last week) look the goods out wide. Also keep an eye on Thompson 9 and Hose 12, they will press for a Qld spot.

insider18

Stan Wickham (3)
most of your predictions seem pretty far fetched the only chances for queensland from css that i can see are tanzer, ryan, tane and possibly yeatman the rest just simply cant match the quality of GPS players

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Timu played QLD 1 #6 last year when he was in grade 11. Doesn't seem too far-fetched to see him back there again?

insider18

Stan Wickham (3)
sorry i was referring to silverbacks predictions on the downlands players, i think we will definitely see a qld jersey on timu

Silverback

Bob McCowan (2)
sorry i was referring to silverbacks predictions on the downlands players, i think we will definitely see a qld jersey on timu

Sorry insider, I was just making some suggestions regarding Light' s comment about 3, 11 and 14 and rugby interests comment about lineout jumpers. The CSS squad has definately got some talent in those areas. Regarding the other two I am just putting them on the radar. Thompson is in year 11 and is playing well and Hose is new to school rugby this year and in my opinion has more than matched his GPS opposition.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The CSS team is training at Sunnybank today and I must say they have some big boys in the team. I would expect that they would go quite well in the lineouts if they can work together. Also some of the Northern players look quite good too. Lets hope they put on a good show against GPS 1 tomorrow night. It's normally the best game of the weekend as the GPS team start to rest players after the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.