• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brandonk

It's not a coincidence. However playing Qld U16's will not win you the competition. For example in 2009, State High had 7 of their 1st XV players representing the Australian Schoolboys. This was the year state high beat BGS 103-0. Churchie will do more than just Qld 16's, because they need to do more than that to win the competition.

*8 mate

Phoenix

Stan Wickham (3)
brandon khuu whould really be thought about at 7 ... really doesnt get the opportunity to play his preffered position as statehigh likes to use his speed and agility in the back three ... maybe not a gps 1 no7but definately a shot a GPS 2 at either 6 or 7

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm not sure you know who Brandon Khuu is. He is kind of a winger with absolutely no forwards experience. Awkward..

hahaha i like this a lot, finally someone helps me police the thread of all the rubbish posts. Khuu is in fact playing on the wing, perhaps you are talking about Maile who has been a standout in the BSHS pack. Nevertheless, he plays #8 and is certainly a contender for GPS 2 if not 1. Pheonix fly back to the QLD Representative thread and post some more of these classical no-brainers, I thoroughly enjoy the task of bringing you back to reality

B

brandonk

hahaha i like this a lot, finally someone helps me police the thread of all the rubbish posts. Khuu is in fact playing on the wing, perhaps you are talking about Maile who has been a standout in the BSHS pack. Nevertheless, he plays #8 and is certainly a contender for GPS 2 if not 1. Pheonix fly back to the QLD Representative thread and post some more of these classical no-brainers, I thoroughly enjoy the task of bringing you back to reality

probably the wrong thread but maile in my opinion, massive contender for gps 1. 7 tries in 2 games..

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So we've heard a fair bit about ACGS, BSHS, GT, BGS.. Any other contributors have anything to say about NC, TSS, TGS or IGS? we haven't had too much discussion on these four teams so what are their goals, who are their standouts and so on.

Silverback

Bob McCowan (2)
Bshs did not field a full strength team, Ben Meehan did not play. obviously Curtis and Chris through injury. but also Joseph Swan.

Not that it makes any difference but Downlands had starting 3, 4, 7 and 15 out. A daunting task for replacements to come up against BSHS.
What must be most pleasing for the Toowoomba guys is that they put 4 tries on and perhaps surprising for some commentators two were classy tries from the backs.

B

brandonk

Not that it makes any difference but Downlands had starting 3, 4, 7 and 15 out. A daunting task for replacements to come up against BSHS.
What must be most pleasing for the Toowoomba guys is that they put 4 tries on and perhaps surprising for some commentators two were classy tries from the backs.

Although they did score some good tries, they did scores these late in the second half after bshs made substitutions and put in players who had never even trained witht he squad.

F

fourgreatkids

I have taken that into account and am aware many BGS U16 players are playing 1st XV, however so are many other schools. And just based on talent in the firsts and what they have coming into the 1st XV next year I think that table will be close. Sure, BGS may have more U16s in the 1sts than any other school but if the talent coming into the team next year isn't at a similar level and has a culture of losing (i.e 0-8 in grade 11) they won't find much success.

That and it's impossible to replace the likes of Grant Davies (Aus. Schools) and Sam Greene (Best kicker in GPS). No matter who they have coming through that cannot be replaced. The likes of Churchie, NC, TSS have a nucleus of players to build around and the players they lose, are replaceable.
so true. the winning culture is definitely there, as when the team was together they came 3rd in the u15 age group. Grammar's issue is, and will continue to be, their lack of depth, this year is a perfect example. They had a very formidable side, but losing Amua, Aiono and Birch has definitely made them struggle. If they keep their teams together they could go alright

C

czar01

Looking from the bottom up

As a GT supporter it was great to see the GT crowd out on Saturday supporting the lads. After a season from hell and on a cold afternoon it would have been easy for all GT players and parents to head home before 3:05pm. They didn't.
Not being and Old boy, it stirred the soul as did the performance by the lads who have taken a major step in "self belief".

Well done to Churchie who were the superior side. Also, it is always a great day at Churchie, well organized, friendly, great stuff.

Now, from the the "Bottom Looking Up" I was asked Saturday post game by a Churchie coach as to how I would rank the teams GT has played to date.

1. Nudgee

Ruthless. Clinical. powerful. Did I mention Ruthless?
The difference between Nudgee talent, coaching, culture and GT is a chasm.

2. BSHS

Hard to believe it was 5-3 after 17 minutes. Give them a sniff and they are rampant. GT's weakest side for the year but no excuses.

2. IGS

Can't really split IGS from BSHS. I believed after round 1 they would win this comp. Didn't account for how far behind the pace GT were.

4. Churchie

They were playing a humiliated GT team. Doubt they were at their best mentally. Still you can only call it as you see it. Forward battle was excellent. Churchie always had the edge out wide.

4. TGS

The outside backs tore us apart. Still close at half time. Teams were well matched otherwise.

5. BBC

We were never really in it although behind by 5 from memory at half time. Well drilled making the best of what they have. Coaches doing a great job.

Good luck to all for the remainder of the season!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
abcde, very good post sir. The amount of underrated props in this competition doesn't surprise me. Alo-Emile, is one that I know is a contender for GPS jersey but thank you for shedding some light on the Nudgee boys. Unfortunately in this type of forum you can't get every school's players mentioned so when I started reading about these 'unknowns' I was kinda skeptical (past experience tells me not to believe all I see, looking at you Pheonix). However, you're justification seemed valid and you're ideas not only logical but unbias. Maile is one of the red hot players in this competition and watching him play is quite a treat, his ball running and defence seems to be second to none and I too am be interested in his progression, certainly a contender for not only a GPS jersey but also QLD.

In terms of Terrace, it finally seems they are slowly getting their shit shorted. No one really enjoyed watching them get thrashed week-in-week out (except maybe NC). To witness them put up such a strong fight against Churchie was nothing short of impressive and BGS won't be sleeping too well this week I think. With GT, NC and BSHS school as their remaining games Grammar looks to be in doubt of a top 5 finish after such an impressive start. I certainly don't like the chances against either of the later two and a loss to GT would really hurt their confidence for next year.

Just to give you an idea of each teams run home, might give a little prediction too but I'll leave the justification till later

NC: BYE. BGS(W), BBC(W)
ACGS: IGS(W), BSHS(?), TGS(W)
BSHS: TGS(W), ACGS(?), BGS(W)
TSS: BBC(W), GT(W), IGS(W)
GT: BGS(L),TSS(L),BYE.
IGS: ACGS(L), BYE. TSS(L)
BGS: GT(W), NC(L), BSHS(L)
TGS: BSHS(L), BBC (L), ACGS(L)
BBC: TSS(L), TGS(W), NC(L)

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
As a GT supporter it was great to see the GT crowd out on Saturday supporting the lads. After a season from hell and on a cold afternoon it would have been easy for all GT players and parents to head home before 3:05pm. They didn't.
Not being and Old boy, it stirred the soul as did the performance by the lads who have taken a major step in "self belief".

Well done to Churchie who were the superior side. Also, it is always a great day at Churchie, well organized, friendly, great stuff.

Now, from the the "Bottom Looking Up" I was asked Saturday post game by a Churchie coach as to how I would rank the teams GT has played to date.

1. Nudgee

Ruthless. Clinical. powerful. Did I mention Ruthless?
The difference between Nudgee talent, coaching, culture and GT is a chasm.

2. BSHS

Hard to believe it was 5-3 after 17 minutes. Give them a sniff and they are rampant. GT's weakest side for the year but no excuses.

2. IGS

Can't really split IGS from BSHS. I believed after round 1 they would win this comp. Didn't account for how far behind the pace GT were.

4. Churchie

They were playing a humiliated GT team. Doubt they were at their best mentally. Still you can only call it as you see it. Forward battle was excellent. Churchie always had the edge out wide.

4. TGS

The outside backs tore us apart. Still close at half time. Teams were well matched otherwise.

5. BBC

We were never really in it although behind by 5 from memory at half time. Well drilled making the best of what they have. Coaches doing a great job.

Good luck to all for the remainder of the season!

No doubt that was a much improved effort by GT on Saturday albeit against a Churchie side that seemed to be in 2nd gear and only applied itself when it had to. They seem to have a lot in reserve holding themselves for the bigger games ahead. Not prepared to say that GT has put their season back on track yet based on one reasonable game. Let;s see how they go in the battle of Spring Hill this week. BGS will feel deflated after high expectations against TSS but strikes me that they won't want to be the first to lose against Terrace. Shaping up as a good contest of pride.

The other game should be won (at least on paper) by BSHS but strange things can happen on the range particularly if the fog comes in. From all reports, BSHS were efficient against Downlands but not a walkover as the score seemed. Given Downland beat TGS, the Brisbane boys should be favourites.

C

cheekychooks

I was able to get out to the TSS v BGS game on saturday and I witnessed a far superior TSS side dominate a what seemed to be unorganized BGS outfit. TSS dominated upfront giving the backs the ability to score some magnificent tries out wide. TSS were able to shut down #10 Davies all day and he didnt really shine with the ball, seemed to be quite an ill-disciplined player always trying to start arguments and fights with the opposition consistently from the first whistle. Despite this, early in the game #15 Greene kicked some magnificent goals from 50m+ best kicker i've seen in GPS in a while. In the forwards standouts were #2 Blackhurst and #8 Cornelson both ex-TSS boys who worked very well together when it came to lineout time. For TSS, the game was won up front with awesome forward work, but when this was done ball was quite slow when the call was given to get it wide. Often 1 or 2 too many phases with the ball in the forwards saw TSS forfeit their 3+ man overlap to be shut down midfield. When the ball did get out wide tries were a plenty with a substituted winger from the 2nds getting a double, thanks to the fast hands of the TSS #15. All in all a great display of the high standard the TSS side are capable of despite losses early in the season.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
What are people's views on the impact of Jason Gilmore (ex QRU talent ID and development) as coach at TGS. From what I have seen, there is no discernible improvements and if anything gone backwards a little. Have only beaten Terrace after a struggle and lost the local derby against Downlands and looked lacklustre in other games. If Terrace were not going so bad, may be we would be talking about TGS. Thoughts?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
TSS have always been a threat, people just ruled them out after early loses to the title heavyweights. Unfortunately Grammar underestimated them and obviously went in with the wrong game plan. Their form is ominous so expect them to jump a few places on the table, should certainly be favourites for their remaining matches as they have finally managed to click.

BGS have hit a new low in terms of confidence following the upset to TSS. I don't see them recovering and next week could be a real struggle against GT although I think they will leave it down to Greene's boot to win it for them. Expect them to blood a few more under 16s as their campaign is all but over with matches against BSHS and NC left. Certainly a contender for the 2012

NC have been dominant ever since round two and have looked the form team of the comp. They will be regretting the early loss to ACGS and are just waiting for a slip up. I don't feel as if they will take the silverware this year but they are certainly having a good go at it. Expect some more thrashings to be dished out, in particular to BBC, Grammar may get off lucky if news of a ACGS win over BSHS spreads like wildfire.

ACGS have been far from convincing and many are unsure how they are on top. It's easy, they do the bare minimum to win and know what gear to stay in to avoid injuries. Interestingly enough they only have had one player out all season and this has got to be attributed to the conditioning work the school is doing. I see them as the premiers this year, mainly due to the long break reinvigorating their lust for a premiership. State high is the final hurdle and to stop a team charging towards a premiership will take nothing more than brilliance. Something State High have an abundance of.

GT. Nothing more to say than dissapointing so far. Huge early losses put many question marks over the school's rugby program but thankfully they are starting to show some promise, a little to late. Their final two matches seem unwinable but they will fancy their chances against an under fire BGS outfit. TSS are far too strong and so GT look rooted to the bottom of the table for 2011. Expect some fireworks, a lot of grade 11s and the most vocal spectators to be the factors in their final games. It's a season to forget for the boys in the butcher stripes.

TGS are the one team I haven't seen play (plan on it in round 8), but as a statistician they are by no means a team to be written off for next year. The younger age groups are still competitive and strong and the 1st XV have been satisfactory but not brilliant. I think they have goals for the future and so are certainly a team to watch, their run home looks a little daunting and so I'd have to put them as second in line to the wooden spoon. Expect few rep players from this outfit, there have not really been any standouts and they seem to be lacking the killer punch. Still a team on the rise and they won't feel too hard done by this year as they have stronger years to come (check 16A table).

IGS have been one of the surprise packets for mine, started the season with a bang and have slowly dropped to their home at the middle of the table. Looked very impressive early and are showing ominous signs for the future. Seem to have figured the ingredients for success and have the squad to carry them to the top of the table. Very few standouts however they will be represented well come the 14th June. Certainly a contender for 2012 with their style of play and youth.

BBC are just not where I thought they would be. I always have high hopes for this team and I'm not sure why. They seem to have the will but not the talent and I think it's becoming more mental problem than anything else. The younger grades look average and the 1st XV has had very few standouts if any. I'm not sure if they will be competitive next year but their home run for 2011 is not looking promising. Might get spared by NC in the final round if ACGS has sealed the premiership, but I certainly wouldn't count on that one not getting to triple figures. Will need change before they move forward but I think as a whole they haven't been sub-standard.

BSHS are the darkhorse team for mine. They have responded well from early loses and although out of the premiership race, have a chance to knock the favourites off their perch next round. I'm not sure if they will be all that keen on TGS this weekend in the blistering cold but expect that to be a comfortable win. A few big loses including Sautia and Browning have kept this team from title contention and their prospects for 2012 are looking concerning. I have no doubt that BSHS will be thereabouts in 2012 but expect them to go out with a bang this year. ACGS won't be sleeping easy for quite some time.

F

fourgreatkids

BGS have lost games to teams no one gave them a chance to beat. I think they will be looking to make amends to their 2 disappointing losses and unfortunately it is Terrace that stands in their way. Expecting the game to be tight for the first 20, with plenty of big hits and fire (could even boil over to fists), with BGS eventually running away with it by 20 in the end. Crowd will be massive with hopefully close to 1000 schoolboys alone coming out to support the two in what should be another classical SPring Hill Cup Battle.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Terradome, that was single handedly you're best post yet. 1 outta 13 ain't bad I suppose, finally seeing things from the other side. Anyway yes, but I think Birgin and Ayala will ensure Davies doesn't get an awful lot of time with the ball. I believe Greene will be the difference when the final whistle sounds, if the ref keeps it out of his mouth for long enough it should be an interesting match..

K

klol

BGS #10 Davies has the skill, but his attitude really needs a bit of tweaking

Status
Not open for further replies.