• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terradome

Peter Burge (5)
Terradome, that was single handedly you're best post yet. 1 outta 13 ain't bad I suppose, finally seeing things from the other side. Anyway yes, but I think Birgin and Ayala will ensure Davies doesn't get an awful lot of time with the ball. I believe Greene will be the difference when the final whistle sounds, if the ref keeps it out of his mouth for long enough it should be an interesting match..

Eh the truth hurts i know, but Davies hit a few 60+ play kicks against GT last year

Terradome

Peter Burge (5)
i don't see BGS running Terrace down this weekend but, the GT backline proved their ability last weekend when the line was broke several times so, i will agree with light that if Grammar win, it will be through the boot of either Greene or Davies - but in the more desirable scenario, GT will prevail, proving our strength that will no doubt result in rep honours for most of the XV

S

Sollirep

Honour Within. Glory not bought. Dignity retained.

For this is Terrace's final hour. Though we are a body of a mere thousand we yield the strength and support of a million strong. We cheer vigorously till the sun sets, we play till the games called and we wake everyday with our hearts throbbing, yearning for the win. We exemplify daring and audacity beyond all measure that makes us truly Terracian's. Though, we may not be the best. Though, we are in the hallows of darkness. Though, we are down we will rise. We will rise to meet the challenges that confront us. We will rise to try our best. We are not perfect for we are just men. But by the will of God, we will be the best men we can be. We will support our 1st IX in their hour of darkness so that we may ascend once more. We play fair even though the rules are skewed and misshaped.

For we are but humble folk. For we are brave and game men. For we are the folk from Gregory Terrace, folk 130 years in the making. It is on the 18th of June that we will give it our best, give it a shot. We may not have the best players. We may not have the money to import. But we shall never dare to compromise our integrity. For the fore founders of GPS and our schools would roll in their graves for the travesty and ill fate that has befallen the GPS competition. For GPS is for competitiveness, for the fire, for the passion, not for the money and certainly not for the bought glory. We do not seek to buy glory but earn it honourably through sheer sweat and tears. But sweat and tears may not be enough. Though we yearn for the 18th of June to be a success, in the unlikely and unfortunate event of losing, we will accept defeat with our heads held high knowing we have followed the rules, followed our hearts to the ends of the earth. For we do not claim a piece of iron or brass, we do not claim a title, but rather we claim and retain our dignity and honour that schools like Grammar, Nudgee or Ipswich have never glimpsed or for that matter ever possessed.

For this is what stirs my heart, for this is why I call Terrace home with the upmost pride and the honour! For this is why I shout to the heavens Terrace to The Fore!

ljperk

Frank Row (1)
any chance someone could organise highlights packages of games (esp big games) to throw up on youtube..... would be a hoot

G

gpsrug2011

Also, it is interesting that you are talking up the performance of Monty Ioane for Churchie. I am conscious that he scored a try, but it was really nothing spectacular. Other than that, I thought he was shut down rather effectively by Terrace's opposing winger Tom Harvey, a small guy who was obviously at a size disadvantage to Ioane but really crowded him and made some nice covering tackles. Harvey is one of the fastest players I've seen in GPS rugby this season - his acceleration is incredible - and he has defensive skills which simply should not belong to a guy of his size. The video below is Tom Harvey playing for the Terrace 2nd XV against BBC at Ballymore, a great passage of play demonstrating his rugby skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUgG8OvooMs

Punter, I completely agree. Harvey made Ioane look like nothing special. His defence is incredible against formidable opposition and again, freaky acceleration. That same game in the youtube video he scored a 70 meter intercept try. Certainly one to watch. He'll bring it to BGS this weekend.

Good luck catching him boys.

something

Jim Clark (26)
any chance someone could organise highlights packages of games (esp big games) to throw up on youtube..... would be a hoot

this would be excellent - i wouldn't mind seeing one from the 2010 season either. there wasn't very many highlight vids (in comparison to 2009)

H

haydenmitchell

With the exception of 'new talent' into the equation I reckon a little like this
ACGS
NC
TSS
IGS
BSHS
BGS
TGS
BBC
GT

I don't think GT deserve the woodenspoon tipping for next year, especially given the fact that there 16a's are playing half a B team that was average in 2010. ie half there team is in the firsts. also, i hear the school is in the process of reshaping the entire rugby programme, including the appointment of a new 1st XV coach and the installation scholarships has been the talk of rugby board meetings for 2011.

Given BBC have 2 players in the firsts, (hooker and inside) they won't be boosted very much and i'm tipping them for wooden spoon 2012.

Phoenix

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't think GT deserve the woodenspoon tipping for next year, especially given the fact that there 16a's are playing half a B team that was average in 2010. ie half there team is in the firsts. also, i hear the school is in the process of reshaping the entire rugby programme, including the appointment of a new 1st XV coach and the installation scholarships has been the talk of rugby board meetings for 2011.

Given BBC have 2 players in the firsts, (hooker and inside) they won't be boosted very much and i'm tipping them for wooden spoon 2012.

i regards to the position for next year, lets have a look back the results of this age group in the u15 when all schools had there top players in there teams ( none in firsts )
the order went
NC , BSHS , ACGS , BGS

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
GT Firsts will go much better than second last. A win against BGS is foreseeable as the corresponding battle in 15's was very tight. I'd predict GT to beat BGS, TGS, BBC, ACGS (the 16A game was tight for most of the game last week, with terrace running a second string backline to what they will have next year) and have a tight game with Ipswich and TSS.

Beating ACGS? that's a stretch of the imagination. They are on top of the 16A table and second on the 1st XV table. Not only that but half their current 1st XV are under 16's and the only players they lost next year are being replaced by other representative players from the 16A's who are not playing 1st XV.

To give you an idea, ACGS will still have 6,7,8,9,10,11,14,15 of their current 1st XV team (with rep players backing up positions 7,10,11,15.). This doesn't include players in the 15A this year and new recruits.. Churchie will be top 3 next year, a loss to GT isn't forseeable.

As for Ippy and TSS, both teams are looking to the future. IGS has stronger younger grade and numerous of their current 1st XV are 16's and TSS always field a strong team.

I'd give Terrace a change against TGS and BBC. BGS have been recruiting heavy and have one of their strongest age groups next year, ACGS have too much depth and its their 100th year, IGS are a young team with sights on the future and have a strong nucleus of 16's in their 1st XV, TSS are self explanatory but will be a few levels above terrace.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Please keep the talk of imports in the imports thread, a few posts have been deleted / cards issued.

H

hatman

Please keep the talk of imports in the imports thread, a few posts have been deleted / cards issued.
..........and where is this thread for Qld GPS schools? It is very difficult to talk about GPS without referring to 'imports'. Not unless you support the concept or have been the recepient.
I note your location is Sydney. There are different issues down there & a separate thread. This a 'Qld GPS 2011' thread & I believe you are being severe or don't understand the issue as it effects QLD schools. GPS rugby & imports are almost synonomous in Qld.
By the way I wasn't one of those deleted / cards issued.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's no different in Sydney, believe me.

The trouble with talking about imports and scholarships is that it leads to slanging matches as anybody who visited the Sportal forum in recent years will attest. The toxicity of it corrupted their forum. Now Sportal has a more rigid policy that we do.

We saw the toxic signs last year and resolved to have a separate thread for the subject. People objected to this last year too but the slanging matches stopped, which was our aim.

The policy is to delete all posts that refer to the matter, or if we have time (yes it takes our time), to transfer the post to the Scholarship thread.

As part of that policy any post that contains anything about the subject can be zapped, or transferred to the relevant thread, even if it pertains to other matters as well. This is a pity because there is good stuff that is so treated and also because most posts on the subject are matter of fact and not mischievous.

Although we try to vet every schools post we do miss some things; so that should not be construed as a licence to mimic what others have posted.

As one who has followed schools rugby for some time and has spoken to many parents about the matters in question I am not unsympathetic to the views about inequity in schools rugby - quite the contrary - but my experience over 12 years of posting to rugby forums tells me this is the way to go from a forum health point of view.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Indeed, but there is a way around it. If some folks want to link a GPS matter to scholarships, NTS, rugby politics etc. they could write something in this thread like:

... I would write further on the matter but it relates to a subject that has to be discussed on a separate thread. Please refer to my post on this thread:

[URL="http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/5780-School-sporting-scholarships/page18"]http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/5780-School-sporting-scholarships/page18[/URL]

or ....

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/8261-Schools-selections-NTS-politics-and-bias

It may be a pain, but at least there is a vehicle to express ones views on the matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.