• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fourgreatkids

cause that wasn't a biase prediction
1. Nudgee COllege
2. Churchie
3. Brisbane Grammar
4. TSS
5. State High
6. Ipswich
7. TGS
8. Terrace- Need to bring in new players
9. BBC weak age group who will struggle

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I have started up a new thread for 2012 and transferred some posts there.

Please do this yourselves next time.

Thank you

T

Thomas

BGS will have a very strong 1st XV if all players are fit, however this competition doesn't always go to the most talented team. I dare say BGS doesn't have the depth if they lose one of their back rows or a 10/12. Depth is my only question mark over an otherwise pretty solid outfit that if they can remain fit should finish top 3. Probably not potential premiers just yet like many are tipping and were tipping this year.

I've got to disagree with you their as they did lose their 10 (Grant Davies) against Ippy and won and they've been without Levi Aumua for the last 4 rounds and they've still put a good fight.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Won by a single point, then got Davies back and got smashed by NC and TSS. I considered the fact that maybe Davies was a little off this year, but his recent trials and selection for QLD 1 proved my initial thoughts wrong. Davies certainly contributed alot to BGS' success this year and last year, the addition of Sam Greene was a match changer and his pinpoint kicking is unrivaled in the GPS system. Levi Aumua has been underperforming all season, he was a contender for QLD and gained selection to the chairmans XV through injury and previous representation however failed to impress. Grammar need to address the negatives of this season before they start looking at the positives for next season. It's all well to move on and cover the leaving players but sooner or later the same cracks will appear, I've said all along that grammar has the ability and the desire, I just don't think they are there yet.

F

fourgreatkids

Won by a single point, then got Davies back and got smashed by NC and TSS. I considered the fact that maybe Davies was a little off this year, but his recent trials and selection for QLD 1 proved my initial thoughts wrong. Davies certainly contributed alot to BGS' success this year and last year, the addition of Sam Greene was a match changer and his pinpoint kicking is unrivaled in the GPS system. Levi Aumua has been underperforming all season, he was a contender for QLD and gained selection to the chairmans XV through injury and previous representation however failed to impress. Grammar need to address the negatives of this season before they start looking at the positives for next season. It's all well to move on and cover the leaving players but sooner or later the same cracks will appear, I've said all along that grammar has the ability and the desire, I just don't think they are there yet.

Grammar has not played NC yet. I think Davies performed so well at the QLD trials as these trails really focus on the individual rather than the team performance, and as an individual, Davies is a freak. But in the team game he seems to struggle. As for Amua, the stress fractures hes had in his back may have been a reason to hit poor form. Apparently when he ran on for GPS 1 against GPS 2, he was damaging scoring a try, and consistently bumping 4 players off everytime he touched the ball. Maybe Davies is the problem not the solution, hencing why grammar beat ippy, but struggled against TSS and Churchie, results would suggest show.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think any GPS team would be happy to have Grant Davies, the fact that the QLD 1 coach is the BGS coach suggests it's not Davies fault. Even if he doesn't fit the BGS framework you would still think the coach would have the ability to change the gameplan and focus on his strengths. Why wouldn't you base the game around him if he's so good individually and proven at representative level? It's not the players fault that he doesn't fit into the setup, the fact that the coach is recognised and obviously rated by his peers suggests it's not the coaches fault either, BGS just doesn't have the team required to win against the major contenders.

If anything they will do worse without Davies in the setup.

F

fourgreatkids

why would a coach change his entire game plan to focus on one player? sure you could tinker with it but to change it would be ludicrus. BGS gameplan is to kick and strangle and with Sam Greene have proven they can do it.

B

Boomboom

well mate they might, when you lose 4 players to the firsts, 2 players to injury, no matter what school you are, that will severely deplete a side, particuarly as they were the nucleus of the side, and with churchie having no players from the 15as playing up they practically have a full strength thus resulting in them being successful, whilst teams like grammar continuously send out a 2nd rate team that would be far better off with these players back.
Hahaa mate if u look igs have lost more players to the firsts then grammar and those players are all defiant Queensland players. where grammar struggled to beat terrace last year, it is obvious that it is grammars lack of depth is what's killing them

J

jddd

everyone is getting distracted about schoolboys, but some big rounds to come starting of next saturday and i was wandering what peoples thoughts were. espicially in the other half of the split round.

churchie vs ipswich will be a decent test for the box seat premiers churchie. yes they beat nudgee but besides from that have not yet faced the likes of a team with real attacking flair. this game should go churchies way but if the ipswich backline finds its strides they will definatley run away with it.

tss vs bbc, everyone would tip tss to take this one. but having seen both teams play i beleive that bbc will come away with a victory here. with a good solid team that has been bolstered by a few injury returns will be spirited playing their last home game infront of a massive crowd, i expect it to be a good encounter with bbc winning by less then 3.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I think any GPS team would be happy to have Grant Davies, the fact that the QLD 1 coach is the BGS coach suggests it's not Davies fault. Even if he doesn't fit the BGS framework you would still think the coach would have the ability to change the gameplan and focus on his strengths. Why wouldn't you base the game around him if he's so good individually and proven at representative level? It's not the players fault that he doesn't fit into the setup, the fact that the coach is recognised and obviously rated by his peers suggests it's not the coaches fault either, BGS just doesn't have the team required to win against the major contenders.

If anything they will do worse without Davies in the setup.

BGS are a solid team but on the day TSS and ACGS were the better teams. To be honest, I thought that ACGS were nothing special- some big and fast centres and thats about it. If BGS had Josh Birch (outside) and Lakhem Aiono (prop/flanker/no.8/inside) i think they would have beaten churchie.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
BBC are bringing a massive crowd to the TSS game so watchout the boys always lift for the big games.
Few boys returning from injury too.
What's the TSS team looking like?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
BGS are a solid team but on the day TSS and ACGS were the better teams. To be honest, I thought that ACGS were nothing special- some big and fast centres and thats about it. If BGS had Josh Birch (outside) and Lakhem Aiono (prop/flanker/no.8/inside) i think they would have beaten churchie.

Everyone's known that for a while, Knockers. What Churchie have is the ability to always find a way to win, and quite frankly that beats a talented side that can't play cohesively anyday. Churchie have been underdogs since day 1 and even during their match with Nudgee they were considered to be weak, but they play controlled rugby, truck it up in the forwards without making mistakes and allow their speed in the backs to get them over the line. It's quite a successful gameplan if the every member of the team knows their limits and plays their specific role. Nevertheless, now that I look at it I think BSHS will beat them in two weeks time, the form of Browning at the state championships was scary and with QLD II flanker Joseph Swann they are unbackable favourites.

Anyone have word on Sautia, I'm guessing he won't be back in time?

P

Prop

TSS vs BBC this weekend,TSS with a few injurys such as paraka,what is BBC like? Predictions?

O

OLDDOG

TSS vs BBC this weekend,TSS with a few injurys such as paraka,what is BBC like? Predictions?

parakas injury is another big blow to their squad, like UJ's. I think this will now be quite a tight encounter. Tough season for TSS with injuries, still some strong players left, but the lads have to get over the loss of some key players, and play strong.

P

Prop

BBC are bringing a massive crowd to the TSS game so watchout the boys always lift for the big games.
Few boys returning from injury too.
What's the TSS team looking like?
Looking good but heaps of players out, well key players

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
If I recall correctly Terrace went up against a touring side from Victoria this week - has anyone heard the result from that one?

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
that's true, the school was St Kevin's from Toorak
GT vs St Kevin's
16A's - GT 67, SKC 0
2nd XV - unsure of score, know Terrace won
1st XV - SKC 13, GT 9

Word was they were playing Nudgee on Saturday (Nudgee was apparently playing their 3's against SKC 1's which seems fair enough considering Terrace was leading St Kevin's until 5 minutes to go, and we all know what happened when Terrace met Nudgee), does anybody know the result of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.