• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bottleneck

i agree Churchie will have no problems with an undefeated run for all their open teams.The 1st xv to the the 5th xv will be unbeaten.Grammar will be going for second place and will give it a shake. Toowoomba will not finish last,GT fav for the spoon.Nudgee not as strong as usual with injuries already biting them.BBC big improvers.A close year from second to eighth.Churhie way out in front for first and Terrace the other end.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
mate that is the most bias piece of work in favour of terrace, with grammar on the bad end, grammar have retained just as many people as terrace have with bigger names, more representative honours,bigger players and experience, also with no recognition of the recruiting grammar has done also? i would rate terrace fighting for the wooden spoon, with grammar fighting for a podium finish, i would have a serious rethink about your observations
Mate if I was being biased and put my ideal ladder it would be Terrace first and Nudgee last. Obviously the odds of that happening are slim to none.
If you have been following this age group (for grammar), you will know that they have had extremely few, if any, wins. Even against a struggling Terrace 16A's they managed to lose. Regardless of the big names they will be pulling back this year they will lack the depth that is required to win first XV rugby.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I am pretty sure this BGS age group finished 3rd in the 15A competition (beating terrace, as well as Churchie). 16A results any year are not inidicative of where a team will finish on the First XV ladder. Going back, the 2009 16A team at BGS won one game in the entire season and came out in 2010 and came 4th in the firsts.

Terrace constantly uses the argument that "they will do well in 2012 because they had a lot of year 11s in the side in 2011". I think you will find most schools had the same, if not more year 11s in their firsr XV. Although there were a lot of year 11s in the side, they still came last with no wins.

Yes, terrace did bring in two new players who are most likely good; but bringing in two new players does not make a satisfactory team a lot better.

Terrace for the spoon in 2012.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Typical Grammar v Terrace fight, both arguing about who's going to finish last. Both teams are capable of finishing mid-table and even perhaps higher but with a few injuries both could easily win the spoon. For now though, I think the pre-season spoon favourites have to be BBC who have lost Tarr and haven't recruited strongly or shown any indication that they were improving towards the end of last year.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
If you have been following this age group (for grammar), you will know that they have had extremely few, if any, wins. Even against a struggling Terrace 16A's they managed to lose. Regardless of the big names they will be pulling back this year they will lack the depth that is required to win first XV rugby.

While last year's BGS 16A's struggled, they had been decimated by injuries and a high-number of players in the 1sts squad. They'd lost their first-choice scrumhalf (Sam Burke), fly-half (Nick Traves) and winger (Jordan Cook) in addition to several other forwards. 2011 1st XV players #1 Nick Anderson, #2 Cody Blackhurst, #4 Jack Cornelsen, #5 Michael Gilbert, #7 Andrew Saunders, #11 Lewis Radford and #12 Hugo Starr-Thomas are all returning in 2011 to form the core of what should be a successful team, along with #8 Lakehm Aiono and #13 Josh Birch (both Australian Rugby League Representatives). Rumours of a new flanker and outside back have hit the school so they should make fine additions to squad. Factoring in other players like Al Harper (QLD U16's 2011) and Fergus Halliday (Junior Gold Squad, 2011 QJRU State Squad), the BGS 1st XV will be in strong contention for a podium finish.​
BGS Possible Squad (With 2011 credentials):​
1. Nick Anderson (1st XV)​
2. Cody Blackhurst (1st XV, GPS 3)/ Al Harper (QLD U16)​
3. Tom Spencer (Met North U15)/Stuart McReight​
4. Michael Gilbert (1st XV)​
5. Jack Cornelson (1st XV, GPS 2, QLD 2)​
6. Patrick Morrey/Hamish Swanson​
7. Andrew Saunders (1st XV)​
8. Lakehm Aiono (2010 Australian Rugby League Representative)​
9. Fergus Halliday (Met North U15, JGS, QJRU State Squad)​
10. Nick Traves​
11. Lewis Radford (1st XV)​
12. Hugo Starr-Thomas (1st XV)​
13. Josh Birch (2010 Australian Rugby League Representative)​
14. Jordan Cook/Jordan Innes/Zach Laud (the latter having made 2011 Wide Bay U15)​
15. Matt Marsden/Harry Bourke​

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Right as always Swarley. I feel Red Black's post was a bit of a troll and managed to bait the Grammar followers pretty well, but at this point it would be quite a stretch of the imagination to see Grammar in 7th, or 6th for that matter.

Regardless, I don't think that team is capable of grinding out the tough wins they will need to be top 3 material. The inside backs are impressive but the back three will be put under serious pressure and without an experienced 10/15 they could suffer, particularly as much of their attack last year was based around Davies, Laud and Greene. The back-row looks strong on paper but the decision to move Gilbert to lock might backfire as Cornelsen is the only real target in line-outs IMO.

Stranger things have happened though..

ackers

Bob McCowan (2)
I've seen Sam Greene's name mentioned in some tweets from bgsport for their 2012 1st XI. Guess he's repeated. But you guys haven't mentioned it at all? Can anyone confirm he's repeated?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Churchie XV
1. Jack Leamon/ Ben White - 16A
2. Joe Warriner - 16A
3. Ethan Machin - 16A
4. Luke Shepherd/ Will Godfrey - 16A
5. Sebastian Georgiou - 1st XV 2011
6. Michael Gunn - 1st XV 2011, QLD White
7. Digger MacMillian - 1st XV 2011, QLD Red
8. Lochey Oppenheimer - 1st XV 2010-'12

9. Darcy Eason - 1st XV 2011, GPS 2, Combined States
10. James Watson - 1st XV 2011
11.Alex West - 1st XV 2011, QLD White
12. Jack Poplawski/Angus McClanahan - 16A
13. Jaidon Schafer - National Indigenous
14. Monty Ioane - 1st XV 2011, GPS 2
15. Sam Hyne/ Moses Clarke - 16A

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't think that team is capable of grinding out the tough wins they will need to be top 3 material. The inside backs are impressive but the back three will be put under serious pressure and without an experienced 10/15 they could suffer, particularly as much of their attack last year was based around Davies, Laud and Greene. The back-row looks strong on paper but the decision to move Gilbert to lock might backfire as Cornelsen is the only real target in line-outs IMO.

Stranger things have happened though..
Agreed Light, the lack of an experienced #10 looks to be the biggest weakness this year. Nick Traves performed admirably in the 16A's before he was injured but the loss of Grant Davies and Sam Greene will hurt the team- especially Greene's freakish goal kicking ability. I think they can cover Blake Laud's departure with Josh Birch stepping up this year- although he is also another big loss, as you said. Luckily with our back three, if you are right and they're under too much pressure players like Hugo Starr-Thomas and Lewis Radford both have long-term experience playing wing/fullback at a 1st XV level, having featured there in 2011. I think Damon Emtage should be able to work something out in that regard.

I imagine Michael Gilbert's potential move to lock would only be to accommodate the talent of Morrey, Swanson and Saunders. Al Harper could also be contending for a 6/7 spot with Cody Blackhurst more than likely to take the #2 jersey. But I can see how it could backfire, we'll have to wait to find out.

I've seen Sam Greene's name mentioned in some tweets from bgsport for their 2012 1st XI. Guess he's repeated. But you guys haven't mentioned it at all? Can anyone confirm he's repeated?

I haven't heard anything serious about Sam Greene repeating, more than likely just wishful thinking from the BGS boys.

ackers

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep....Sam Greene's name is in all of the BGS 1st XI cricket scorecards on the web for 2012. Would they move Greene to 10 this year then?

H

Hayden Mitchell

this is the inside word from the terrace rugby director who's my homeroom teacher
1. Tom Mellor
2. Luke Harlow
3. Liam McInerney/Sam Wilson
4. Isaac French
5. Ben Laxon
6. Bill Ovenden
7. Xavier Power (C)
8. Robbie Green
9. Angus Fowler
10. James Dalgleish
11. ???
12. Daniel Sitanilei
13. Jack Heenan
14. Jack McSweeney
15. Tom Given

Polynesian Warriors

Frank Nicholson (4)
i was going to start my own thread on this but im not sure where to start. anyway nudgee won the northside region sevens tournament at ballymore yesterday beating wavell high school twice in round robin and in the final.

B

bottleneck

i was going to start my own thread on this but im not sure where to start. anyway nudgee won the northside region sevens tournament at ballymore yesterday beating wavell high school twice in round robin and in the final.
What was the score in the final and were Wavell any good

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Do Churchie even play 7's rugby?

If so, I doubt they would be sending many 1st XV members along.

Polynesian Warriors

Frank Nicholson (4)
Dont think think we will see title favorites Churchie risking injury in this sevens comp. I hear a few more "rugby types"at school.
nudgee won by seven tries to three and i was even surprise at how well they did. the wavell team were all members of the met-norths rugby league team and most are on nrl contracts and playing in the mel meninga state-wide cup. one of their player plays for the sydney roosters jersey flegg team and were totally outplay by nudgee, it was only northside teams im not sure when the other regions will have theirs.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Rugby premiership is shaping up as pivotal towards GPS Cup result. Churchie just won Cricket premiership to add to Rowing premiership two weeks ago, Nudgee still in the race with the GPS swimming cup. Interesting to see how the remainder of trophies are allocated.

B

bottleneck

Rugby premiership is shaping up as pivotal towards GPS Cup result. Churchie just won Cricket premiership to add to Rowing premiership two weeks ago, Nudgee still in the race with the GPS swimming cup. Interesting to see how the remainder of trophies are allocated.
HAS ANY SCHOOL EVER BEEN PREMIERS FROM THE 1STS TO THE 5THS AND BEEN UNBEATEN .VERY HARD TO DO BUT WILL HAPPEN THIS YEAR FOR CHURCHIE.

Status
Not open for further replies.