• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Light, next time you see it with your own eyes please take a photo for us all to enjoy. Because it's not mentioned on the official GPS webpage (with all the other results, http://www.gpsqld.org.au/) or on the GPS' wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Public_Schools_Association_of_Queensland_Inc.) and since I've never, ever heard of it before I'm inclined to believe it doesn't exist.

Fair call, I can't find anything on it either so no point really continuing this mild digression. Next time I see it I'll throw up a picture, either way I'm sure you'll be back to tell me I'm right when Terrace win it haha

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
write nudgee off at your peril. people seem prepared to hand churchie the premiership this year, and for many reasons, rightfully so - they have assembled an incredible collection of talent in their bid to bring home the centenary premiership. but nudgee will have a good side too - the best player in the competition (tuttle), a queensland standard front row (sikimeti, anae, postale) and quality players generally across the board. foran returns to fullback, and this team has dominated in age group play from 13's through 15's. even though i have heard people quoting their coach in saying this is their worst team in 6 years, this group could walk into schools like tgs or bbc and they'd be saying this is their best team in 6 years - the match between nudgee and churchie will be an absolute cracker this year. one team however, that i am prepared to write off, is grammar. a few inevitable injuries and the fact that their players really aren't that good will lead to them not meeting their own expectations - i would love to proven wrong though. tss seem to be a bit of an unknown quantity this year, as is bbc - these two could really prove to be bogeys for teams who come across them on their day, especially perennially strong tss. igs will be looking to a top 3 finish with one of their stronger outfits in years, the demise of state high rugby will begin this year, and terrace's lack of backline depth will really haunt them throughout the year.

something

Jim Clark (26)
one team however, that i am prepared to write off, is grammar. a few inevitable injuries and the fact that their players really aren't that good will lead to them not meeting their own expectations

inevitable injuries? explain? can't you say that about any team?

also, bgs have got a pretty darn good back line. few rep players in there.

not saying theyre going to win it but i would put them in the top half of the competition. prediction is 4th

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
every team will get injuries, it just seems grammar don't really have much to cover an injury to say, lakehm aiono in a team that's fairly light on size. the same could be said of any team with a player of his caliber, but none of the other bgs backs really stand out. i'd tip grammar to come, at best, 6th

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
every team will get injuries, it just seems grammar don't really have much to cover an injury to say, lakehm aiono in a team that's fairly light on size. the same could be said of any team with a player of his caliber, but none of the other bgs backs really stand out. i'd tip grammar to come, at best, 6th

Good observation, I tend to think you hit the nail on the head. I haven't got them in my top 4 either but I think they are capable of a few upsets and on their day could certainly knock off the big contenders. Your previous point about Nudgee was also on the mark, however I think their backrow could be a problem as the quality of previous years is no longer there.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Writing BGS off this early is a massive mistake. A few things would suggest the light dark blue are in for a very successful 2012. Firstly this year's competition is considerably weaker than 2011, with a lot of schoolboy stars throughout GPS having graduated. Secondly, the Grammar playing group is very experienced and talented with a considerable proportion of last years 1st XV returning. Returning schoolboy stars Jack Cornelson, Lakehm Aiono, Cody Blackhurst and Sam Greene are all shaping up to be among the best players in the entire competition. Australian Rugby League representative Josh Birch is back from an injury ridden 2011 and will add tremendously to the backline. Players like Nick Anderson, Michael Gilbert and Lewis Radford will all be in contention for GPS representative selection along with darkhorses Hugo Starr-Thomas and Andrew Saunders. Another potential player, Ferg Halliday, has achieved QLD U15 selection at halfback and has been training in Gold Squad all summer so will be fit and firing come trials.
Finally, under coaches Jules Gardner and Damon Emtage the boys are playing under elite coaches with plenty of experience at the highest levels of the game. A top 4 finish is very likely I'd say.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
, the demise of state high rugby will begin this year, /quote]

could someone update me with State high demise, haven't seen much GPS rugby for a while. last time i saw state high play (3/4 yrs ago) they were very strong, went though undefeated. what changed? or is it just a cattle flow?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
xxxx, BSHS this year and probably next just seem to be lacking the star power they've had the past few years (Browning and Sautia). They'll have a reasonable 2012, with some good players (Tibbetts, Korczyk, Loukaras, Kendall) but they won't live up to the highs they've enjoyed recently.

In regards to the Churchie vs Villanova trial, I've heard that ACGS trotted out a side of many of their fringe firsts players and still scored a 20-5 win, promising signs for this year.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In regards to the Churchie vs Villanova trial, I've heard that ACGS trotted out a side of many of their fringe firsts players and still scored a 20-5 win, promising signs for this year.

They played Eason and Watson at 9,10 and a second string backline. Was more of a trial for the forward pack but that's still a healthy scoreline, not much else to read into it.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
playing eason and watson is obviously a move to keep consistency in that key combination. it'll be interesting to see who wins the 12 jumper

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
playing eason and watson is obviously a move to keep consistency in that key combination. it'll be interesting to see who wins the 12 jumper

Impossible to know when you have Schafer, McClanahan and Poplowski. All representative players who won't fit into the squad anywhere else.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
my money's on mclanachan, or poplawski if they want more of a crash ball player. any of them would make the firsts at any school

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
McClanahan would play as a second playmaker while Poplawski the crash ball runner as you say. There are a few others in the frame for that position, particularly if Eason goes to 10 and Watson is looking for a spot in the back line.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. Jack Leamon
2. Joe Warriner/Sam Noble
3. Ethan Machin
4. Luke Sheperd
5. Charlie Brown/Will Godfrey/Sebastian Georgiou (QLD)
6. Michael Gunn (QLD)
7. Digger MacMillian (QLD)
8. Lochey Oppenheimer

9. Vincent Quigley
10. Darcy Eason (QLD)/James Watson
11. Alex West (QLD)
12. Jack Poplawski/Angus McClanahan (QLD)
13. Nigel Tanuvasa (VIC)/Jaidon Schafer (National Indigenous)
14. Monty Ioane (QLD)
15. Sam Hyne

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
9. Vincent Quigley
10. Darcy Eason (QLD)/James Watson
11. Alex West (QLD)
12. Jack Poplawski/Angus McClanahan (QLD)
13. Nigel Tanuvasa (VIC)/Jaidon Schafer (National Indigenous)
14. Monty Ioane (QLD)
15. Sam Hyne
I'd think they'd want to keep the Eason-Watson combo that worked well last year. Quigley (a year 11?) would get his chance next year, which also shapes up to be a very strong team

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
are you being serious or are you just making this up ??? I don't know why this hasn't been mentioned anywhere but here...

It's based on every single game from every single sport so it's not as simple as saying oh we're good at tennis or rugby and win heaps so we must've won it. I've seen the trophy with my own eyes and held it, it exists 100%. Not all schools do all sports so they're letting themselves down. Can't comment on Terrace's position because I haven't seen the FACTS.

In other words, you saying it doesn't exist because we haven't won it and Terrace is "Really good at sport" is a massive sweeping statement. Study Modern History

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's based on every single game from every single sport so it's not as simple as saying oh we're good at tennis or rugby and win heaps so we must've won it. I've seen the trophy with my own eyes and held it, it exists 100%. Not all schools do all sports so they're letting themselves down. Can't comment on Terrace's position because I haven't seen the FACTS.

In other words, you saying it doesn't exist because we haven't won it and Terrace is "Really good at sport" is a massive sweeping statement. Study Modern History

I was prepared to let it slide but you do have a very valid point :)

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Terrace Lineup for now
1. S. Wilson
2. T. McNamee
3. R.Green
4. I.French
5. J.Gwyn
6. B.Laxon
7. X. Power
8. D. Stianilei
9. A. Fowler
10. J. Dalgleish
11. J. Jenkins
12. K. Larosa
13. J. Heenan
14. L. O'Rourke
15. T. Given

H

Hayden Mitchell

Terrace Lineup for now
1. S. Wilson
2. T. McNamee
3. R.Green
4. I.French
5. J.Gwyn
6. B.Laxon
7. X. Power
8. D. Stianilei
9. A. Fowler
10. J. Dalgleish
11. J. Jenkins
12. K. Larosa
13. J. Heenan
14. L. O'Rourke
15. T. Given

What are your thoughts on the team Red Black?
Surely you would have to give Harlow one of the front row positions, and given the outstanding form of McNamee and the fact Robbie is on a scholarship, it seems as if Wilson will have a fight on his hands to keep his spot.
Bill Ovenden was inelligable for selection due to being away for a large chunk of training, so when he comes back in it seems as if Gwyn will be out, maybe causing a reshuffle of the forward back with Ovenden slotting into 6 and Laxon moving to lock. Apart from that it will be interesting to see how O'Rourke handles the move to the outside backs in the upcoming trial matches

Status
Not open for further replies.