• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Incident right before half time here, attacking kick from Nudgee results in a churchie player diving on the ball in the in goal. WHistle goes, late charge from Nudgee. Penalty churchie, Nudgee player lucky to still be on

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Jeez everything I say turns to shit...

Well done to grammar though, firmed up as genuine contenders with Greene rightfully regarded as the premier player in the competition alongside Tuttle.

gpsrugby2012

Stan Wickham (3)
Last round of the GPS rugby calendar is Nudgee vs Grammar. Is it too ambitious or naive to predict a grand slam finish and a possible decider for the premiership? Both teams have asserted their dominance over the playing field with two convincing wins at the start of the season and are the only undefeated teams alongside Ipswich. Shall be a great few weeks to come indeed!

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
I am by no means a Churchie supporter, but I can't help but to feel disappointed for them.

Can anyone who has watched them tell me what is going on? They literally have a backline full of QLD representatives, as well as a backrow that could line up for their state. Is it a problem with their tight five? Or are they truly suffering from having a 'team of superstars' rather than 'a superstar team'?

For their sake I hope they can find some form against BBC next week, but not too much for the week after against Southport. ;)

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Last round of the GPS rugby calendar is Nudgee vs Grammar. Is it too ambitious or naive to predict a grand slam finish and a possible decider for the premiership? Both teams have asserted their dominance over the playing field with two convincing wins at the start of the season and are the only undefeated teams alongside Ipswich. Shall be a great few weeks to come indeed!

A bit naive. It's only week two and anything could happen. Even a four way premiership. Here's hoping not. But agree with you, plenty of great games to come.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just got back from the Nudgee-Churchie game, not much to say that hasn't been said already. At oranges it was 19-0 and finished 26-10. Churchie had serious injury issues from the beginning of the game losing 12 Vanuseva in the 1st minute. They were gifted an early kick at goal from right in front but decided to press for the 5 pointer and ended up losing their own line-out (Churchie hooker couldn't throw straight numerous times and when he did the jumpers missed the ball anyway). From the lineout Nudgee spread the ball and Tuttle broke straight through 3 tackles and set up a try. It was pretty obvious that the loss of the Churchie 12 effected the backline but it was still very obvious that Nudgee was the better team.

Churchie lost 12 Vanuseva, 15 Watson and one other player but I didn't quite catch the number. Watson's looked to be a very serious concussion after a knee to the head and Vanuseva's was an ankle injury which saw the end of his day, it looked pretty bad too. Nudgee's only injury worry was 12 Tuttle who appeared to injure his shoulder late in the match, not sure how serious it was though, he did manage to stay on.

Overall, the big difference was the forwards. Nudgee's pack was twice as big as Churchie's and the big boppers made their presence felt, in particular 2,3,7 and 8. If I had to pick a best on ground it would go to either 12 Tuttle or 8 (Tuifao?) , both were exceptional. Churchie tried hard but didn't have the cattle, #6 Gunn was their best but as earlier posts have said the back-line struggled and the Nudgee forwards dominated the rucks. That being said, I thought Churchie's scrum held its own and even won a few penalties. Churchie #10 Eason was outclassed by his opposite number who showed how to properly distribute the ball.

To pick each sides bests:
Nudgee - 2, 3, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14
Churchie - 4, 6, 7, 11

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
You could argue the same for TSS, TGS, NC, ACGS and BBC. Once again, it's a matter of perspective. For those with Grammar-tinted glasses, a top 3 finish seems reasonably achievable, for the rest of us that prediction would be a little too bold.

I repeat my question from a previous post, how have BGS improved from last year to become 'contenders' right now? Yes, they started last year well with a few consecutive wins but they also struggled in the run home (you can blame that on the injury to Davies or whatever but he is no longer there to steady the ship). For mine, right now they are below TGS, NC, ACGS and TSS in the pre-season title pecking order and BSHS if you want to go on trial results..

TGS v ACGS: Oppenheimer's (ACGS #8) fitness will be vital to the backrow. He's been the number 8 man for three years now and there doesn't appear to be any suitable replacement. TGS should get forward domination through the likes of 4. Vanzati and 5. Potgeiter with the assistance of 7.Bougoure but they will meet QLD 1 representatives 6. Gunn, 9. Quigley, 11. Ioane and 21. Eason. Churchie backline might be a little too strong with the inclusion of Vanuseva, McClanahan, West, Schafer and Hyne. Weather will be important in what should be a high scoring affair.. Churchie by 5

BGS v BSHS: Another great match early on. Both teams are very capable but haven't shown their hands yet in the trials. 4. Korzyck (BSHS) has been one of the form locks at the Oz Schools trials according to all reports and the presence of 10/12/15. Tibbets in the backs should help their cause. BGS will be heavily relying on QLD 1 players 4. Cornelsen and 22. Greene, they should also have some dominance in the forwards. BSHS by 3.

State High will struggle this year if that's the best they can do against a side like Grammar. Toowoomba beating Churchie would have to surprise a few, that being said the score reflects a close game between two title contenders. Perhaps a few of us underestimated Toowoomba, Churchie face an uphill battle for the premiership with Nudgee next weekend.

I recall reading not so long ago that the premiership team would be lucky to go undefeated. Just because Nudgee lost last year in round one did not end their season hopes, Churchie lost to Ipswich and TSS were well off the pace. It's early to start speculating but I won't be jumping on the Grammar bandwagon after one result against a clearly weak State High.

What does Greene offer that you don't get from both Placid and Eason. Eason can kick fairly well and Placid offers a lot more size and pace from the back. I am not saying you are wrong but I can't see both Greene and Placid making QLD 1, they are both very different players and one will have to get cut.

BGS 29 def. TGS 12
NC def. ACGS 10

That makes Grammar 2 from 2- Churchie are still to win a game. You must be pretty surprised that "a team like Grammar" managed to beat TGS so convincingly without someone as good as Darcy Eason and up against a firing Jonah Placid. Maybe you're right, Light- maybe BGS haven't improved enough to win the premiership- but to deny their status as contenders is simply stupid. Especially when you compare it to the fabled Churchie Centenary Premiership that you have been advocating so strongly. I'm sure you'll come back with some excuse, but its as simple as this: BGS outplayed TGS and BSHS, and Churchie don't resemble anything close to the premiership-destined unit you continue to talk up.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I've been a big critic of Churchie's plan to seemingly buy out the competition, but now I can't help but feel a bit sorry for them. With a heap of pressure they've most definitely wiltered. While anything could happen, I don't think a 2-loss team has ever won the premiership and they'll look to spoil the season. Globetrotter raises a great point, and I think the case of 'team of superstars' might ring true with ACGS.

I didn't pick BGS to beat TGS, but it doesn't really surprise me. BGS seem to have a well drilled team this year and they're definitely in a great position going forward.

Terrace dropped to Ipswich in an absolute nailbiter. 0-0 at oranges, kicking was an issue for both teams. Terrace seemed to lack momentum in attack, however their defence was almost perfect - the only tries came from a defensive lapse, especially the second try where Terrace #14 (not sure who, have to check the programme) rushed up out of the line leading for a lovely cross kick and try. Terrace went over for a try at the end, (again not sure who, most likely one of the forwards), and I could've sworn there was more time to go, but nothing can be said to change what happened. The whistle was blown a heap of times in iffy calls today, which seemed to hamper each team who wanted to play some running footy. Could've been a great game without the mostly unnecessary interference of the whistle, still ended up being a good game. Ipswich is a definite darkhorse team for the premiership. I think any team that counts out Terrace this year is in for a shock though, excellent defenders.

I've heard that BBC pulled away from State High at the end (after being close), no surprises there.

Table after Round 2
T1. Brisbane Grammar School (2-0) 4
Ipswich Grammar School (2-0)
St Joseph's Nudgee College (2-0) 4
T4. Toowoomba Grammar School (1-1) 2
Brisbane Boys' College (1-1) 2
T5. St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace (0-1) 0
The Southport School (0-1) 0
T7 Anglican Church Grammar School (0-2) 0
Brisbane State High School (0-2) 0

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
BGS 29 def. TGS 12
NC def. ACGS 10

That makes Grammar 2 from 2- Churchie are still to win a game. You must be pretty surprised that "a team like Grammar" managed to beat TGS so convincingly without someone as good as Darcy Eason and up against a firing Jonah Placid. Maybe you're right, Light- maybe BGS haven't improved enough to win the premiership- but to deny their status as contenders is simply stupid. Especially when you compare it to the fabled Churchie Centenary Premiership that you have been advocating so strongly. I'm sure you'll come back with some excuse, but its as simple as this: BGS outplayed TGS and BSHS, and Churchie don't resemble anything close to the premiership-destined unit you continue to talk up.

So you're digging up old posts to prove a point now, half of which you have taken completely out of context.. I'll accept that I was intially wrong about Grammar, happy?

I have a very strong feeling the White and Blue are going back to back.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
BGS 29 def. TGS 12
NC def. ACGS 10

Swarley I'm not going to go through all of the biased/incorrect predictions you have ever made on this forum but I think this attack is a bit unfair. Sure, enjoy your success as a Grammar supporter, and yes, I do think they are looking very good this season - let's not get ahead of ourselves though. Further, I think Light would be happy to admit that Greene is certainly 'as good as Darcy Eason' and if not better.

Anyway Swarley, what were your thoughts on TGS and who were the best players on the park? (Assuming you were there).

Status
Not open for further replies.