• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
2/4 for last weekend (Not sure where the draw with Churchie BBC stands, but Ill count it as an inaccurate prediction) which makes me 7/12 for the season
TSS d ACGS by 7
NC d BSHS By 30+
GT d BBC by 7
BGS d IGS by 3-Sam Green's kicking game to be crucial, expect many penalties (Wind on the day could be a factor)
Also, TGS d Downlands but not including that in my tally count
3/4 last weekend-makes me 10/16
TSS d BSHS by 20+
GT d NC by 2
BGS d BBC by 10+
IGS d TGS by 5 (I'd say IGS are going to try and play a really forwards based game, whilst TGS will try and dominate through the backs)

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
First, this is my first post. Hi to everyone.

Second, I don't recall there ever being absolute silence around any Rugby ground when a kick is taken . There was always at least one group of no-hopers booing or yelling.

I was at the GT v BBC game on Saturday. The referee is actually a TMO for Super Rugby (no not the one who didn't award Liam Gill that try), he's quite the technical referee also sometimes favouring technical decisions over ones that would reward say the team who really deserves it. Regardless, he's probably one of the better referee's you can expect for a 1st XV. I had a chat to a few parents who were complaining, I said to them, well if he was a perfect referee then he'd be refereeing the Bledisloe on Saturday and there'd have some other chump you'd be complaining about controlling the game.

Anyway, what's all this talk about aethetic rugby players?? Please, this is schoolboy rugby.

To have a referee of this ability is awesome for schoolboy rugby. Perhaps the players don't know how good they have it. The refs rolled out for Prem Colts are no where near as good. It puts in perspective the questionable decisions posed, particularly about the "held up" try in the BBC v GT game. If this guy is a Super 15 TMO, unless he sees a grounding he ain't awarding it.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Some food for thought guys, would anyone like to comment on the amount of injuries at First XV level? It's akin to professional rugby with the amount of games players are missing. I know for example that here at BBC we are missing Hood, Junior and Quick for the season, who are essentially our three best players. Why is it that the higher up in the game of rugby we go the more injuries we get? Is it because players are pushing themselves harder in training? Is it because the hits are tougher and the game longer?

When we compare levels of professionalism it always seems that the closer you get to Amateur the less injuries. How many times do you see a kid walking off with an ankle injury at 14c level? I know I've played rugby as a low team player for 12 years and I can't say I've ever missed a game with injury. Was there less injuries at a national level etc in the Amateur days? It's disappointing not just at schoolboy level but at SupeRugby and indeed the Wallabies to see so many players constantly on the injury toll.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Some of these injuries are because of a combination of loads of weight training with either bad technique and little/no stretching. You see a bloody pulled hammy each weekend now because they don't want to take the time out to stretch. Saying this though most injuries are just accidents and because the bigger and faster and stronger players in the higher grades its always going to happen more often

D

_dark

Some food for thought guys, would anyone like to comment on the amount of injuries at First XV level? It's akin to professional rugby with the amount of games players are missing. I know for example that here at BBC we are missing Hood, Junior and Quick for the season, who are essentially our three best players. Why is it that the higher up in the game of rugby we go the more injuries we get? Is it because players are pushing themselves harder in training? Is it because the hits are tougher and the game longer?

When we compare levels of professionalism it always seems that the closer you get to Amateur the less injuries. How many times do you see a kid walking off with an ankle injury at 14c level? I know I've played rugby as a low team player for 12 years and I can't say I've ever missed a game with injury. Was there less injuries at a national level etc in the Amateur days? It's disappointing not just at schoolboy level but at SupeRugby and indeed the Wallabies to see so many players constantly on the injury toll.
It's a high contact sport but that's why we love it. Injuries are a natural part of the game and when you get masses of over 100kg it's just up to physics to figure the rest out. They are disappointing, indeed, but maybe you're noticing it more from a BBC perspective?

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
It's a high contact sport but that's why we love it. Injuries are a natural part of the game and when you get masses of over 100kg it's just up to physics to figure the rest out. They are disappointing, indeed, but maybe you're noticing it more from a BBC perspective?
I think most schools are feeling the impact of injuries. BBC has probably been one of the worst schools effected, but Churchie and BGS are not far behind. Churchie lost their best player, Nigel Tanuvasa, in round two for the season, and many other players in that team are carrying injuries while playing. BGS are also missing Andrew Saunders and Nick Anderson with what looks like season injuries as well. Nudgee were without Tuttle for a game due to injury and lost that convincingly. Serious injuries happen every year in the GPS, and schools with the most depth are able to cover them well.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
I think most schools are feeling the impact of injuries. BBC has probably been one of the worst schools effected, but Churchie and BGS are not far behind. Churchie lost their best player, Nigel Tanuvasa, in round two for the season, and many other players in that team are carrying injuries while playing. BGS are also missing Andrew Saunders and Nick Anderson with what looks like season injuries as well. Nudgee were without Tuttle for a game due to injury and lost that convincingly. Serious injuries happen every year in the GPS, and schools with the most depth are able to cover them well.

You forgot Dylan Sikimeti (NC). Injured in trial game against GT
He is expected back for IGS Round 6 (aug25)

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
You forgot Dylan Sikimeti (NC). Injured in trial game against GT
He is expected back for IGS Round 6 (aug25)
Very true, my mistake. This also highlights Nudgee's depth in the front row- they were able to replace him with another QLD schoolboy rep!

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
To have a referee of this ability is awesome for schoolboy rugby. Perhaps the players don't know how good they have it. The refs rolled out for Prem Colts are no where near as good. It puts in perspective the questionable decisions posed, particularly about the "held up" try in the BBC v GT game. If this guy is a Super 15 TMO, unless he sees a grounding he ain't awarding it.

In theory, the priority for appointments in QLD should be Prems -- Reserves -- Prem Colts -- 1st XV... However a 1st XV is considered auch a good appointment mainly because the games have a good atmosphere and attract a great crowd. A top class 1st XV match as such has an appointment that usually jumps up the priority order to just below Prems. Which means you're getting referees who would be able to referee Prems. You'll probably not see like likes of Mitchelmoore (the top referee in qld) because he's either off on Super Rugby duty or refereeing Prems, but you will see blokes who come finals time in QLD would be in the Reserve grade finals pool.

Referees are usually rotated. So you're not guareenteed a Prems game every week unless you're in the top 2-3 referees in QLD. So you'll generally find 1,2 or sometimes 3 of the 1st XV games in a weekend have a high quality referee.

1st XV matches are spoiled in terms of the quality of referee they get, usually at the expense of a Reserve grade or Prem Colts match that same day. Of course, there are always 2-3 1st XV games who receive referees from the general pool of appointments. What everyone has to remember is, there is honestly not really anyone better to have controlling the game. So even if you feel they are not up to scratch, a better way to approach it is to teach the players how to deal with those situations and how to take matters out of the referees hands rather than complain.

G

G-78-XV-V

question from Sydney....any news on why Cornelson missed selection for the schoolboy touring side after playing against Tonga?

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Referees for this weekend:

TSS v BSHS - L Monaghan
GT v Nudgee - J Christophersen
BGS v BBC - D Sheahan
TGS v IGS - S Leszczynski (Super Rugby TMO)

I know these guys, all good blokes, all deserving.

oldref

Bob McCowan (2)
Referees for this weekend:

TSS v BSHS - L Monaghan
GT v Nudgee - J Christophersen
BGS v BBC - D Sheahan
TGS v IGS - S Leszczynski (Super Rugby TMO)

I know these guys, all good blokes, all deserving.

Backing up what you have said, Christophersen is a Premier Referee.

However, I think you will find that Darren Rees is doing the 1st XV game between BSHS and TSS, but Laurie is still doing his bit in the 16As - pretty fine effort that considering he was an international winger and fullback in the 1970s which would make him over 60 by my calculations.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Interesting with those injuries. I think it affects everyone equally and tests depth. Guess the big brutal hits are all part of rugby these days.

On the topic of referees, as a lower grade ref it's not as easy as some think. You have to get out there at the right time, talk to all the players about your expectations, and that's just before kick off! It's challenging but fun to be a rugby referee because there are so many decisions to get right, and unlike other sports you can't have any ordinary gumby out in the middle - in league the refs have to pick up knock ons, forward passes, offsides and that's about it.

When I get to a ruck (and I might add you have to get to every ruck), I'm looking for firstly the tackler to release the tackled played and allow them to play the ball, or if they don't get back to their feet for them to roll away, then I'm looking for the tackled player to release it. Normally by then a ruck has formed with a cleanout here and there. I'm looking to make sure the cleanout is fair and not dangerous and once the ruck is formed I'll immediately call hands out.

Then I've got to make sure people come through the gate. This is a grey area and you've got to use your best judgement, particularly at lower levels where the techniques aren't the best. Often as more players come through one side wins the ball but everyone ends up off their feet like a collapsed maul. I've got to make a decision as to whether they've deliberately done this to seal the ball or whether it was all part of the cleanout. Then I've got to decide whether the ball is out or not. All this time you have to make sure the other team is behind the last feet.

This process is repeated every phase, or about 150 times per game, something which is unique to rugby, and this is the ruck alone, and I'm sure I'll have missed something there.There is still the lineout, the scrum, open play, restarts.

So you can make a case that rugby has the best referees in the world given that they have the biggest job. Probably because unlike the AFL we don't dish out 50 bucks a game for someone to throw a ball in from the sideline... it's all about the passion! I ref two GPS games a week for free, usually C & B level.

Always respect the refs, they are doing their best. There is no such thing as bias in a referee, no matter what level they ref at.

Status
Not open for further replies.