• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
It seems I gave GT far too much credit for their earlier form against some of the better teams. The TB boys include Tibbetts, Dunn, Korczyk, Loukaris, Fortesque, Cooper, Kendall and Agresta. I think you will find they have made significant contributions this year (when asked to play) including the win against GT (except Agresta who payed in the 2nds). BSHS may also have to thank the GT coaching staff for stupidly dropping Given to the 2nds who incidentally is a former TB player.

Careful, Given may or may not have been dropped for non-rugby related issues, so calling the coach stupid is not a well informed statement.

G

Getzy

I had a word to a Terrace boy in the 2nd XV this evening and he said that Given was dropped for attitude problems. He also said that he has been moved back up into the starting XV and is now playing 10, Dalgleish has been moved to 12. Thoughts?

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
I had a word to a Terrace boy in the 2nd XV this evening and he said that Given was dropped for attitude problems. He also said that he has been moved back up into the starting XV and is now playing 10, Dalgleish has been moved to 12. Thoughts?

Hey even big name super stars have been dropped in the past for attitude problems, I say if that is true then good on Terrace for having the guts to drop a top player.

Hairy Test Eagle

Ward Prentice (10)
Hey even big name super stars have been dropped in the past for attitude problems, I say if that is true then good on Terrace for having the guts to drop a top player.
I think it's a good move as well. You see too many schoolboy rugby players strutting around thinking they're the next best thing. Terrace don't have much to lose though.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I think it's a good move as well. You see too many schoolboy rugby players strutting around thinking they're the next best thing. Terrace don't have much to lose though.

Many on here think Terrace lost a "gimme" game because of it and now face the wooden spoon. It is all relative, but the Terrace rugby management would consider it a big loss. If that report on Given's relegation is correct, then I also support the call made.

However, all due respect to BSHS, from reports they would have won in any event And great result for Liam Dunne. A talented player, tireless worker and an excellent person off the field. He did not deserve a winless season and the weekend result ensured this.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Sorry when does IGS call uncontested ? apart from when 4 of their props were injured in the GT game. They may have been an occasional game or two where there have been injuries or illnes but I don't see your point.. They do technically make the requirments of a GPS school so your point is invalid. Obviously their act is together because by the results I has previously listed, they are beating most GPS schools in any given sport. Even the so far success of the 1ST XV is an accomplishment itself seeing as none of the players are 'imports', where as many of the other GPS teams, even the one opposing importing last year has caved.

I have no problem with IGS remaining in the GPS. Oldest school in Queensland and a history to be very proud of.

However, the depth and basic forward skills in their rugby programme is appalling. Their tendency to call uncontested scrums across various age groups also points to gamesmanship when their scrums are under pressure. ( I have seen it happen this year across several age groups and heard of other occurrences also this year). Rather than reward mediocrity, if the call for uncontested scrums at least at "A" level should result in a forfeit result for the records but at least let the game be played on so the boys still get a game. That may just change how IGS rugby management approach their programme.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
On the note of uncontested scrums, on the weekend in the 13A GT vs BSHS (GT won 17-10), BSHS called uncontested about halfway into the first half. What was suspicious though was that 1. They had been losing their own feeds consistently and 2. They did not sub off a forward? (Can you even do this?)
I agree that there should be less non-contested scrums-its part of the game!
Its suspicious to note that IGS were also the team to have their first XV points stripped off them a few years ago (2001-2004?) for purposely calling uncontested.

gpsrugby2012

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone have tips on TGS vs NC? Injury reports? Anything. This round is very tight with possible knockout matches for NC, TSS and BGS.

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
TSS by 6.
Third will apparently play so the boot of Sam Greene will be nulified to a degree. Southport also go well away, remember they beat Nudgee the last 2 times on Ross Oval.

Yoloruggers

Stan Wickham (3)
without those three players they would be nothing. Shame they can't grow some talent themselves
That's a pretty slanderous and pitiful comment to make about any team / person.
Clearly youre just having a go at grammar because they have transformed their squad from a team that lost 103 - 0 to BSHS - to a team that is in serious contention this year.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
On the note of uncontested scrums, on the weekend in the 13A GT vs BSHS (GT won 17-10), BSHS called uncontested about halfway into the first half. What was suspicious though was that 1. They had been losing their own feeds consistently and 2. They did not sub off a forward? (Can you even do this?)
I agree that there should be less non-contested scrums-its part of the game!
Its suspicious to note that IGS were also the team to have their first XV points stripped off them a few years ago (2001-2004?) for purposely calling uncontested.

The Referee is actually allowed to call uncontested scrums if he feels that a front row player is not adequately trained. Technically a team can call uncontested scrums at any time on the grounds that they do not have an adequately trained front row, I mean, if you were the referee would you say "No, you started the game with contested scrums, you finish it" ... You'd open yourself up to some issues.

Yoloruggers

Stan Wickham (3)
The Referee is actually allowed to call uncontested scrums if he feels that a front row player is not adequately trained. Technically a team can call uncontested scrums at any time on the grounds that they do not have an adequately trained front row, I mean, if you were the referee would you say "No, you started the game with contested scrums, you finish it" . You'd open yourself up to some issues.

I agree with you, Tooms. But then again what kind of coach would subject a front row that isnt trained for scrums to compete in live scrums!?
Thats just asking for injury.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
I agree with you, Tooms. But then again what kind of coach would subject a front row that isnt trained for scrums to compete in live scrums!?
Thats just asking for injury.

I referee'd a match in the old ARC competition. In said game we started with contested scrums, but clearly one team was far superior. At half time my referee coach said to me that I really needed to make a decision about the scrum because it had become dangerous. At the time, this was new to me, but in the second half the team with the inferior scrum ran out and called uncontested scrums without any replacements. I took it, and after the game my coach told me that I really should have managed the scrums better in the first half by putting more emphasis on the dominant scrum keeping it safe, and I got lucky because the opposition coach called uncontested.

The issues are numerous, but I think a coach should have the right to say that he's come up against a scrum that is too good and it's put the safety of his team at risk. In that context that coach is a good one! But if they're asking for uncontested scrums because they're losing, that is a poor coach!

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think TSS will be too strong. They have probably 4 players capable of playing A's strongly such is the depth at TSS. Backs are very good. They have scored 124 points for and have 10 against in the last 3 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.