• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

interested68

Bob McCowan (2)
agree with this post, however these games are going to be quite close and upsets from any of the teams you have picked to loose wouldn't be an enormous surprise.

Tuttle played today at nationals according to other threads so i'd imagine he'll be ready for round 1

Tuttle played did he, nice. The best players should be playing.

interested68

Bob McCowan (2)
Hmm making comparisons with GPS schools to AIC schools hey, GT should be winning those games quite easily. Also Marist only had one qld schoolboy this year so not a very good comparison to make

Lets just remember that a lot of tour games are tradition. I think there are only five at tops, rugby schools in Canberra. Grammar, St Eddies, Daramalan and I am allowing for a couple I havent heard of, so yes they may have been short a couple each. I am pretty sure we all played the game for the places we went and the people we met.

T

theonceblueandwhite

sh
GT play NC in a weeks time thoughts?
should be a cracker down on the flats at nudgee. the last nc vs gt trial held there, GT bailed out during the game. however, gt's side this yr has a bit of talent, should be a close game with NC edging ahead in the 2nd half. my tip is NC by 10

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
sh
should be a cracker down on the flats at nudgee. the last nc vs gt trial held there, GT bailed out during the game. however, gt's side this yr has a bit of talent, should be a close game with NC edging ahead in the 2nd half. my tip is NC by 10

not a good year for the red and black worst rugby results in their long history...
GT's line up against Nudgee does them some favours as GT's strong front row will be one of the better controllers of the God-like nudgee front row for this year. Do you know if any Oz schoolboys will miss GPS games because of their test matches against tonga and another team. If so NC could be without Tuttle and Sikemeti for a few games

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
not a good year for the red and black worst rugby results in their long history.
GT's line up against Nudgee does them some favours as GT's strong front row will be one of the better controllers of the God-like nudgee front row for this year. Do you know if any Oz schoolboys will miss GPS games because of their test matches against tonga and another team. If so NC could be without Tuttle and Sikemeti for a few games

Sikimenti, James, Postale, Tuttle and co. should be back but I doubt they will play the whole game.. Nudgee by 20+

As for round 1 fixtures (without injury consideration)
BBC v NC: Both teams have strong backrows but you can't go past Nudgee in this encounter. Hood and Fakaosilea will be a handful for Rodwell and Fitzgerald but I think Nudgee will really dominate the forwards, particularly with Postale, Wessels and Sikimenti. Tuttle to be the difference in the backline, J Boyer-Bowen(BBC #15) appears to be under injury cloud. Nudgee by 20.
TGS v ACGS: Oppenheimer's (ACGS #8) fitness will be vital to the backrow. He's been the number 8 man for three years now and there doesn't appear to be any suitable replacement. TGS should get forward domination through the likes of 4. Vanzati and 5. Potgeiter with the assistance of 7.Bougoure but they will meet QLD 1 representatives 6. Gunn, 9. Quigley, 11. Ioane and 21. Eason. Churchie backline might be a little too strong with the inclusion of Vanuseva, McClanahan, West, Schafer and Hyne. Weather will be important in what should be a high scoring affair.. Churchie by 5
TSS v IGS: Home game for TSS in what is probably the match of the round. Both teams will feel a little hard done by in the representative selections and out to prove a point. Both have very strong front rows including the likes of 1. Pleash (IGS) and 1. Tarr (TSS). TSS backline to be the difference under the guidance of Third, Cooney and Fielea. TSS by 12
BGS v BSHS: Another great match early on. Both teams are very capable but haven't shown their hands yet in the trials. 4. Korzyck (BSHS) has been one of the form locks at the Oz Schools trials according to all reports and the presence of 10/12/15. Tibbets in the backs should help their cause. BGS will be heavily relying on QLD 1 players 4. Cornelsen and 22. Greene, they should also have some dominance in the forwards. BSHS by 3

Terrace v Downlands: GT by 7

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
they will definitely be back and why wouldnt they play a full game it's not this Saturday but the following

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
BGS v BSHS: Another great match early on. Both teams are very capable but haven't shown their hands yet in the trials. 4. Korzyck (BSHS) has been one of the form locks at the Oz Schools trials according to all reports and the presence of 10/12/15. Tibbets in the backs should help their cause. BGS will be heavily relying on QLD 1 players 4. Cornelsen and 22. Greene, they should also have some dominance in the forwards. BSHS by 3

You forgot to mention the BGS midfield, consisting of Lakehm Aiono (QLD U16 2010, QLD Rugby League 2010, injured 2011, did not trial for GPS), and Josh Birch (Australia Rugby League 2010, injured 2011, also did not trial for GPS teams). Cody Blackhurst made QLD Schoolboys 2, so I think BGS will win the battle upfront.

Other names such as Lewis Radford (GPS 3) and Michael Gilbert (GPS 3) also contribute to a very strong Grammar outfit.

Do you still predict BSHS to win?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Very well aware of those lads, and yes I still think BSHS will get up. My prediction of 3 still stands but the result could very easily swing the other way.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Fair enough. But I think most people on the thread would agree that the BGS team is stronger than the BSHS outfit this season, as they have retained around 8 players with first XV experience from last year.

Any further justification for why you think the result will favour State High?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I'm really interested to see how Grammar goes this year, but I don't think they'll live up to the expectations some seem to have on them.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's just a feeling Knockers, happy to be proven wrong. I don't see how anyone can rule out State High just yet. I am doubtful of their premiership winning ability but I do think they have the class to upset BGS and a few others.

There are a fair few Grammar supporters on this site, I am just merely playing the devils advocate by tipping BSHS. What makes you think Grammar are any better than last year?

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Its not as if State High are a bad side, just the GPS competition is stronger than ever this year- anybody can win it IMO.

BGS has 8 players returning from last year, probably the most out of any of the schools. We all know how important First XV experience is, as seen by Terrace's improvements from 2011. The 10-12-13 combination is lethal (Greene, Aiono, Birch). This centre pairing is arguably one of the best in GPS. Out wide there is serious speed in Radford, who last year was actually able to run around his opponents.

The forward pack consists of players such as Blackhurst (QLD 2), Cornelsen (QLD 1), Gilbert (GPS 3) and Anderson who are all premier players this season in their respective positions.

I think a top 4 finish is well within reach for BGS, but with competition so tight this year, games could end up being won and lost only by a few points.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
As for round 1 fixtures (without injury consideration)

TSS v IGS: Home game for TSS in what is probably the match of the round. Both teams will feel a little hard done by in the representative selections and out to prove a point. Both have very strong front rows including the likes of 1. Pleash (IGS) and 1. Tarr (TSS). TSS backline to be the difference under the guidance of Third, Cooney and Fielea. TSS by 12

Its actually a home game for Ipswich.
Last encounter there was a high scoring 39-36 TSS win.
Last year the highest IGS win was U14B's

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
IGS lost a lot of quality players last year, in particular Oz Schoolboy #8 Tasi and GPS representatives #9 King, #12 Gordon and #15 Bowen.

I can't see them upsetting TSS at this point, that's not to say they don't have the ability, #1 Pleash and #4 Preen have the ability to get them on the front foot early but I think the Southport backs will be too strong.

The first round could really set apart the pretenders from the contenders.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
IGS lost a lot of quality players last year, in particular Oz Schoolboy #8 Tasi and GPS representatives #9 King, #12 Gordon and #15 Bowen.

I can't see them upsetting TSS at this point, that's not to say they don't have the ability, #1 Pleash and #4 Preen have the ability to get them on the front foot early but I think the Southport backs will be too strong.

The first round could really set apart the pretenders from the contenders.

IGS vs TSS is going to be a really interesting clash. Both sides have two of the best props in the competition, with Aaron Pleash (IGS, QLD 1 LHP) and Ben Tarr (TSS, QLD 2 LHP). I have a feeling Tarr could create a lot of trouble in the scrum for opposing TPH THP Latham Takau. Takau's an exceptional talent (and made the QLD 1 reserves) but has previously been used in the back row, and his scrummaging is still relatively weak. He'll really have to step up to combat Tarr. Similarly, locks Dan Preen (IGS, CSS) and David Findlay-Hennaway (TSS, GPS 1) will go up against each other in a fiercely contested battle. I think Preen's ultimately a better player, both better around the park and in the line-out. That being said, IGS are going to have to work hard to combat flankers Luke Papworth (GPS 2) and Joel Brown. I'm not sure who IGS will be playing in the back row alongside 2011 QLD U16 representative Connor Mulheron, but I honestly doubt they'll be able to negate the influence Papworth and Brown.

In the backline, GPS 3 fly-half Mitch Third is returning at #10 for Southport, as are Vince Cooney and QLD 2 winger Nili Fielea (likely to be playing at #12). I'm sure Light will agree with me when I say that Third, although overshadowed by players like Dalgliesh, Greene and Eason for QLD selection, is one of the better players in the entire competition. With his brilliant distribution skills, Fielea, Cooney and 2011 QLD U16 rep Adam Gauder will be seeing plenty of ball. TSS could arguably have the best attacking backline of all 9 schools, with the possible exception of Churchie and Brisbane Grammar. However, Ipswich should be no means be written off. With National Indigenous fly-half Carlin Anderson playing he'll certainly threaten Third's standing as the premier #10 on the field. Along with Landon Hayes and QLD 2 reserve Miki Tela, IGS also have some outstanding attacking players. That being said, I similarly don't see them emerging victorious over TSS, who always seem to play more cohesively as a unit than IGS.

The decisive match-ups will be:

Aaron Pleash vs. Ben Tarr
Dan Preen vs. David Findlay-Hennaway
Connor Mulheron vs. Luke Papworth
Carlin Anderson vs. Mitch Third
Landon Hayes vs. Nili Fielea
Vince Cooney vs. Miki Tela

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I rate Takau, according to reports from Oz Schools he's a definite shot at the highest representative jersey offered in schoolboy rugby (by that I mean he's one of the premier props at the national trials). Tarr has been hammered by the boys south of the border, he will benefit from the experience in QLD 2 though and should find things a little easier in the GPS. Pleash and Takau are two very tough props to have first up though. As you say Takau is a converted #8 and the Ippy backrow doesn't look nearly as strong as TSS', I think this could be the difference as the locks pretty much neutralise each other, I rate Preen but his form has been a little off from last year.

Agree regarding Third, I have rated his distribution skills for a while, even higher than guys like Eason (ACGS) and James (NC), however he is no Dalgleish. Cooney and Fielea are real danger men in the TSS backline, they should have enough fire power to overcome IGS. If IGS are smart and play to their strengths (forward-orientated game) then they could very well come out on top if the scoring is low, weather could also be a key contributor, not sure if Ippy will get a big enough crowd to influence the match.

We could preview these matches for hours, personally can't wait for BSHS v BGS and TSS v IGS. Definitely think they will be the two matches of the round, Churchie should have the wood on TGS and Nudgee will role BBC with the return of Tuttle, Postale, Wessels, Sikimenti, James and Rodwell (3 of which are heavy favourites to make Oz schools 1)

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
IGS vs TSS is going to be a really interesting clash. Both sides have two of the best props in the competition, with Aaron Pleash (IGS, QLD 1 LHP) and Ben Tarr (TSS, QLD 2 LHP). I have a feeling Tarr could create a lot of trouble in the scrum for opposing TPH THP Latham Takau. Takau's an exceptional talent (and made the QLD 1 reserves) but has previously been used in the back row, and his scrummaging is still relatively weak. He'll really have to step up to combat Tarr. Similarly, locks Dan Preen (IGS, CSS) and David Findlay-Hennaway (TSS, GPS 1) will go up against each other in a fiercely contested battle. I think Preen's ultimately a better player, both better around the park and in the line-out. That being said, IGS are going to have to work hard to combat flankers Luke Papworth (GPS 2) and Joel Brown. I'm not sure who IGS will be playing in the back row alongside 2011 QLD U16 representative Connor Mulheron, but I honestly doubt they'll be able to negate the influence Papworth and Brown.

In the backline, GPS 3 fly-half Mitch Third is returning at #10 for Southport, as are Vince Cooney and QLD 2 winger Nili Fielea (likely to be playing at #12). I'm sure Light will agree with me when I say that Third, although overshadowed by players like Dalgliesh, Greene and Eason for QLD selection, is one of the better players in the entire competition. With his brilliant distribution skills, Fielea, Cooney and 2011 QLD U16 rep Adam Gauder will be seeing plenty of ball. TSS could arguably have the best attacking backline of all 9 schools, with the possible exception of Churchie and Brisbane Grammar. However, Ipswich should be no means be written off. With National Indigenous fly-half Carlin Anderson playing he'll certainly threaten Third's standing as the premier #10 on the field. Along with Landon Hayes and QLD 2 reserve Miki Tela, IGS also have some outstanding attacking players. That being said, I similarly don't see them emerging victorious over TSS, who always seem to play more cohesively as a unit than IGS.

The decisive match-ups will be:

Aaron Pleash vs. Ben Tarr
Dan Preen vs. David Findlay-Hennaway
Connor Mulheron vs. Luke Papworth
Carlin Anderson vs. Mitch Third
Landon Hayes vs. Nili Fielea
Vince Cooney vs. Miki Tela

Swarley I know that you're a knowledgeable poster on here so just out of interest, on what basis can you say that BGS has a better backline than the likes of Nudgee and TGS? Also, they are some very even key match ups (with regards to IGS vs. TSS). I believe that Pleash may have a slight edge in the front row though Third should run rings around Anderson (is he the young lad currently playing in the Indigenous XV?)

Status
Not open for further replies.