• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Has anyone got team lists for TGS , IGS and TSS
Thanks

The TSS team yesterday was:

1. Ben Tarr
2. Jake Lyon
3. Sam Clifton
4. Michael Parfitt
5. Jake Upfield
6. Cato Perrin
7. Luke Papworth
8. David Findlay-Hennaway
9. Harry McCallum
10. Mitch Third
11. Isaac Nathan
12. Nili Fielea
13. Vincent Cooney (c)
14. Brock Anderson
15. Adam Gauder

When Evander Guttenbiel (#8) returns, I can see Findlay-Hennaway slotting into the second row. Alternatively, and in a less likely scenario, Findlay-Hennaway and Papworth could become the second rowers to accommodate Brown at 7. I wasn't able to make it to the game but I've heard that Fielea, one of the best wingers in the competition (playing at 12) made some great runs but really starved his outside backs in a few significant errors in judgement. I'm sure the team will work hard for two weeks given the bye, and hopefully bounce back because as Light has said, the season is far from over and many people seem to have forgotten last year.

Good luck to premiership favourites Gregory Terrace against Ippy. :p

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I am not saying your predictions are wrong but your deep hate for Churchie is a little concerning. You may have predicted their loss to TGS last weekend but it wasn't that much of an upset, TGS were at home and ACGS managed to stay within 10 points despite not playing to their scholarship 'potential' as some would say.. I guess after one loss they are no longer premiership contenders and should just lie down and let TGS or Nudgee win it. You have a short memory, it is still round one and schoolboy rugby is known for its unpredictability. I'll be surprised if any team goes undefeated and to write off last years runners-up after one performance is a silly mistake to make.
I have no deep hatred for Churchie at all, it's a highly respectable institution with a strong rugby program. But their team is lacking and they have two of my absolute pet hates - a neglected forward pack and a team stacked full of scholarships. It's an extraordinary mass of talent but for once I'd even like to see Nudgee beat them, the arrogance of bringing almost a whole team really shits me. The same thing would go for any school, including BBC.

But Nudgee went on to win the premiership last year after losing round one, there's plenty more road to hoe. But I'll be very surprised if the winner doesn't come from Boondall or Toowoomba.

C

churr

Who stood out for both teams?
I travelled out to Ipswich yesterday as a Southport old boy to watch the red, white and blue give it to IGS. I was sadly dissapointed as all i saw was silly errors and a Southport team well below their best but i also got to see a very underrated Ipswich outfit. If i had to pick a player of the day it would be Dan Preen, a slow start to the season has well and truely come to an end as he had an absolute blinder. Other IGS standouts were props Latham Takau and Aaron Pleash, and the centres Mika Tela and Landon Hayes. Southport only had few standouts but one that really caught my eye was skipper Vincent Cooney who was trying his best to lift his team with atleast 4 big hits and a few good runs. Unfortunaly he got no ball as Nili Fielea, a brilliant winger is playing inside centre and struggles to make decisions and just hits it up. Others who played well included Ben Tarr and Sam Clifton aswell as winger Brock Anderson who made the most of limited oppurtunities. A bad day for the boys from Southport but im sure they will hit back hard in a couple of weeks at home against Churchie, this is also Old Boys weekend

P

ProneBone613

I travelled out to Ipswich yesterday as a Southport old boy to watch the red, white and blue give it to IGS. I was sadly dissapointed as all i saw was silly errors and a Southport team well below their best but i also got to see a very underrated Ipswich outfit. If i had to pick a player of the day it would be Dan Preen, a slow start to the season has well and truely come to an end as he had an absolute blinder. Other IGS standouts were props Latham Takau and Aaron Pleash, and the centres Mika Tela and Landon Hayes. Southport only had few standouts but one that really caught my eye was skipper Vincent Cooney who was trying his best to lift his team with atleast 4 big hits and a few good runs. Unfortunaly he got no ball as Nili Fielea, a brilliant winger is playing inside centre and struggles to make decisions and just hits it up. Others who played well included Ben Tarr and Sam Clifton aswell as winger Brock Anderson who made the most of limited oppurtunities. A bad day for the boys from Southport but im sure they will hit back hard in a couple of weeks at home against Churchie, this is also Old Boys weekend
The 10 for ipswich kicking game was outstanding. Also had great defence up against the huge inside centre Fiela of TSS. Forwards worked hard and Preen was exceptional in the line outs.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah, completely understand. I was chatting to one of the blokes high up in the Churchie program earlier this year about their chances of a premiership. Interestingly he thought last year was their best opportunity and referred to their forward pack as the key difference between this year and the team of 2011. IMO they were pretty unlucky last year and were seriously affected by the mid-season break, they took their foot off the pedal and were upset by a very good Ipswich team. He didn't rate their chances this year, perhaps I was a little bias in my prediction of a premiership but to be honest there's about 5 teams capable of winning it this year, last year there were 2 or 3 at most.

I wrote a few posts about Toowoomba at the very end of the GPS 2011 thread regarding their potential in 2012. It was clear that serious changes were taking place out west and I'm not surprised we are considering them title contenders, they have a very strong spine and a few players who can really light up a rugby field, particularly their #15 Placid. Their depth will be tested this year, I can't see them going undefeated but the win against Churchie has given them some serious momentum, I can see it ending against Grammar next week though.

As for Nudgee, they will always be up amongst the favourites but this year they will be tested. I really didn't like what I saw from them at Suncorp, regardless of the results they looked incredibly unfit. They have had a few weeks to turn it around so I look forward to seeing if they can keep up with the Churchie backrow which is very mobile, not to mention the backs. I think Nudgee might just get home but if Churchie turn up to play, use the crowd and chance their arm out wide they could really throw the form guide out the window and if I had to choose a team Nudgee is most likely to lose to, it's Churchie at Main Oval.

We can rant on for hours about who is favourite or whatever but I think that the team in White and Red could prove a darkhorse yet again and cause headaches toward the end of the season for the contenders.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
I travelled out to Ipswich yesterday as a Southport old boy to watch the red, white and blue give it to IGS. I was sadly dissapointed as all i saw was silly errors and a Southport team well below their best but i also got to see a very underrated Ipswich outfit.

You said on the 16's forum that you didn't rate an AIC kid having marked him defence? Couple of weeks later, you're a Southport Old Boy? Woops...

C

churr

You said on the 16's forum that you didn't rate an AIC kid having marked him defence? Couple of weeks later, you're a Southport Old Boy? Woops.
no, not woops. I am a recent old boy of just last year and i marked the boy in a club game where i would assume he would have been playing above his age. so now the woops is targeted at you for making the error

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
So after all this coyness old mate light admits to being a Churchie fan. Interesting stuff.

Agree with the comment about last year being Churchie's best chance, their forwards and I daresay their backline were better last year.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
no, not woops. I am a recent old boy of just last year and i marked the boy in a club game where i would assume he would have been playing above his age. so now the woops is targeted at you for making the error

"As a student at TSS i think you will find Fielea at 12 with Brock Anderson at 14 and Gauder at 15 but other than that you have got the team spor on from my point of view " You said this a month ago mate. Woops.

But let's not dwell on it, I was just taking a light-hearted stab - we'll leave it there.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So after all this coyness old mate light admits to being a Churchie fan. Interesting stuff.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove!

'Fan' slightly undervalues the association but I'll give you 10 points for figuring it out, not that it was rocket science..

I've worn my heart on my sleeve since my very first post on these forums, the sudden influx of Terrace posters around here has just brought it out more than usual, primarily due to their individual attacks and general bullshit ranting. I find solace in the fact that these posters won't hang around too long and by the time 2013 kicks-off another new batch of trolls will be around.

C

churr

"As a student at TSS i think you will find Fielea at 12 with Brock Anderson at 14 and Gauder at 15 but other than that you have got the team spor on from my point of view " You said this a month ago mate. Woops.

But let's not dwell on it, I was just taking a light-hearted stab - we'll leave it there.
haha, yes Globetrotter you win, I am a grade 12 student at the school and you have just found out I dont like being proved wrong but yes i agree we should leave it there hahaha, but in all seriousness were you at the game yesterday and what did you think? And by the way the reason i said i was an old boy was it made the story sound a little better haha, well in my mind anyway

G

Getzy

Who do you think will come out on top in the GT vs. IGS encounter?
GT have a few injury/sickness concerns i hear as 2 of their certainties were sidelined for their clash with Downlands (Laxon and Given). Will Given be making a return anytime soon with his shoulder injury?
IGS are looking promising after their narrow win over a highly talked up Southport outfit, will be a great game out at tennyson.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Agreed this round has raised a lot more questions than it answers.

Few comments:

i) Morbid fascination with who light supports - who cares! Just talk about the rugby!

ii) Everyone in the open age group lifts

It's just a thing about being in year 12, but the attitude is much stronger. Even in the lower divisions, for example in the Third XV against Nudgee this week, we lost 20 - 5 (10 - 5 with five minutes to go) - last year we lost by 99+...

Let's look forward to another big round!

AusBoyRugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Who do you think will come out on top in the GT vs. IGS encounter?
GT have a few injury/sickness concerns i hear as 2 of their certainties were sidelined for their clash with Downlands (Laxon and Given). Will Given be making a return anytime soon with his shoulder injury?
IGS are looking promising after their narrow win over a highly talked up Southport outfit, will be a great game out at tennyson.
Personally, I think that IGS will win by at least 1 or 2 converted tries. Although GT have picked up from their terrible 2011 season, they are still lacking many vital factors to beat a higher team like IGS. Sure they beat Downlands on the weekend quite easily, however they still lack the real GPS firepower in which we see from the better schools. They recently have recruited 2 new forwards to their team which according to them is going to win the premiership for them this year. The reality is, two players don't make the whole team and they have some of the smallest flankers and backs I have ever seen across the GPS competition.

As for the injuries, I hear Given in out for the entire season and that his current injury is very serious and any physical contact will make it difficult for his bright future. Whether or not Given was to play against IGS they would still not win. As for Laxon I hear he will be playing on Saturday and he is a remarkable player when he pulls himself together, but my bet is that Ippy will go on top by 10 points.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Spikhaza, what were your thoughts on Nudgee at the weekend, were the forwards dominated by BBC as some posters are leading me to believe?

J

John Coffee

you obviously saw BGS play yesterday, and i can tell your a state high man, but how do you think grammar will go this year?

I'm more of a Rugby man in general actually. I appreciate the standard of GPS rugby but not the concept.

Well if the stars are aligned BGS like any other can beat anyone on their day (cop-out I know). The science of variation, the balance of probabilities plus historical indicators doesn't provide me with a good form guide for BGS. Based on this 1 game performance, BGS wasn't tested and that makes it harder to predict. There is nothing wrong with SamoanNo8 predicting 4th place but its way too early to say I reckon. Thats my best answer. The hope is that BGS can go all the way. Why not? throw caution to the wind and someone else take the honours for a change aye?

G

G&GR News Bot

Brisbane Grammar School has announced that they are here to play this year after a fantastic performance against a struggling Brisbane State High School at Northgate. Grammar looked cool, confident and in control as they breezed past a State High side that struggled severely for the majority of the game.

State High handed a thrashing by Brisbane Grammar.
State High started the game well and raced out to a 10-8 lead through some tight forward play against a Grammar side that looked rattled early. This was as good as it got for the State High men as Grammar turned on an outstanding performance both offensively and defensively which would have beaten the majority of sides in the competition.
Grammar began their run of 58 unanswered points with a great try by the winger Lewis Radford after a swift play off the back of the scrum orchestrated perfectly by Sam Greene at 10. From the kick-off, Australian Schoolboys representative Jack Cornelson made a run straight up the middle of the park, easily brushing some horrific defense by the State High boys. This lead to another backline move off the back of some quick ball which again put Radford in the corner for his second try of the game. Greene converted and Grammar led 20 – 10 going into half time.
The second half began with Grammar having to defend for 3 or 4 minutes, showing some fantastic determination and class to keep the State High boys out and causing an eventual penalty. Grammar immediately entered the State High 22 and after 4 or 5 phases strolled over for what really was a soft try. Greene again converted and Grammar lead 27 – 10.
Again from the kick-off Grammar made a break and entered the State High red zone. A penalty ensued and Greene knocked it over to put Grammar 30 – 10 up. The floodgates really opened up from this point onwards as State High struggled to hang onto the ball for longer than 3 phases, losing line-outs and scrums by the minute. Radford sliced straight through some woeful High defense to go under the posts and put Grammar ahead 37 – 10.
At this point State High were just throwing the ball from side to side in hope, Grammar moving up swiftly and taking care of any threat that High posed. Working to either force a penalty or turn the ball over and throw it wide. On this occasion a turnover lead to another Grammar try as Blackhurst got over the line after a few phase of quick pick and drives from the Grammar forwards.
State High retained the ball from the kick off but a long cut-out pass was intercepted by the outside centre Joshua Birch who ran 60 metres to go under the posts and increase the lead to 49 – 10.
Grammar again worked up the field and put Birch in the corner, a great conversion from Greene to put Grammar up 56 – 10. Another intercept and more ensuing forward play again put Grammar over the line just before the full time siren and leave the final score at Brisbane Grammar 63 – Brisbane State High 10.
Stand-out Players:

1. Cody Blackhurst (BGS) worked hard all day in an outstanding forward pack, had numerous powerful runs and was fantastic at set piece time, throwing in at line out time and scrummaging State High off the park.
6. Michael Gilbert (BGS) was at every breakdown pressuring the State High ball, has an enormous motor and didn’t coast once Grammar was ahead.
10. Sam Greene (BGS) was outstanding and clearly the best player on the park, guiding his team around well, making a number of dangerous runs and kicking superbly both in general play and off the tee.
11. Lewis Radford (BGS) scored a triple and looked dangerous with every touch he had, fantastic feet that mesmerised the High outside backs.
15. Hugo Starr-Thomas (BGS) showed real class at the back and had a number of great kicks and probing runs which set up others around him.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.