• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G&GR News Bot

The two leading contenders for 1st XV honours this year, Churchie and Nudgee College, each have work to do on the training paddock this week. Churchie went down 24-18 to a determined Toowoomba Grammar outfit, while Nudgee College chalked up a tough win against BBC with a deceptive 28-13 scoreline.
Toowoomba Grammar School (TGS) v. Anglican Church Grammar School (Churchie)

From the opening whistle, TGS took the game to their visitors. With all the early territory (90% for the first ten minutes), they took on the Churchie defence in wave after wave of attack, finally breaking through courtesy of an ACGS handling error at the back of a scrum on the 5m line. Swooping on a loose ball in the corner, the TGS blindside was over. 5-0.
The match soon settled into the rhythm it would take for much of the afternoon, turning into a tight, well-contested match. Both sides were largely equal up front, with both packs hitting rucks well and generally offering a stable platform.
Similarly, both sets of backs offered some sparkles in attack and largely performed well in their individual positions. There were no glaring faults in either team, nor were there any substantial areas of dominance. It took moments of error or brilliance to separate the sides.
The former came in abundance from each. In spite of their many trial matches and doubtlessly substantial time in training (each squad had five trials against GPS and other opponents) handling errors and simple mistakes dominated proceedings, disrupting much of the flow that developed and giving the other team territory and possession advantages. In the tight contest that this was, these advantages were key and opened the door for much of the scoring that took place.

Vincent Quigly chips for the corner (a try resulted)
Vincent Quigly, the Churchie scrumhalf, looked as if he may be the difference for much of the match, having a major hand in each of Churchie’s three tries, running skilful lines, taking good options and exhibiting great vision to guide his side around the park. Leading 18-12 with 15 to go, Churchie looked to be gaining an upper hand against their tiring foes.
With the clock winding down, Churchie soon gifted TGS with good field position through some poor handling. TGS were able to twice get over the line with some great hands taking runners through some sloppy Churchie defence.
Full-time, 24-18 to TGS and a major upset in Round 1, hurting the prospects of title hopefuls Churchie in their centenary year.
Brisbane Boys’ College (BBC) v. Nudgee College

With a scoreline reading 13-28 to Nudgee, and BBC only scoring the one try to Nudgee’s four, a logical conclusion would be that Nudgee College had substantially controlled, if not dominated this match. Such a conclusion would, however, be one too hastily reached.
The match opened with fierce intensity from both sides in their exchanges, with the play moving end to end. BBC opened their account with a penalty in the sixth minute, and Nudgee got their reply soon after with a try from a lineout turnover in the 13th minute. 3-7.
Minutes later, BBC hit back in a clinical counter-attack through their #15, running a great line from inside his own half to offload in contact for a great try in the corner. Though converted, it was to be BBC’s sole try.
Nudgee again responded quickly with a try, pouncing on spilled ball from a charge down in the 20th minute. 10-14. The half finished with ten minutes of sustained pressure by BBC on Nudgee’s line, and despite getting over the line twice, BBC’s groundings let them down, the first being ruled inconclusive and the second spilled at the last moment for a knock on. At oranges, the score remained 10-14 to Nudgee.

BBC secure their own lineout
The second half opened with much the same intensity as the first, with Nudgee ultimately pulling a ye olde ‘turn your back to the defence and hide where the pass is going’ move, with #12 Jack Tuttle putting his #8 through the BBC line almost untouched to score under the posts. 10-21.
After another BBC penalty and a bread and butter overlap try to Nudgee, the scoreline read 13-28, which it would remain for the rest of the match, despite more sustained pressure from BBC.
BBC’s forwards truly took on the vaunted Nudgee College pack and the contest was at very least even, and any conclusion that BBC got on top in the battle up front wouldn’t be an unfair one. BBC created more opportunities than Nudgee and would have come out ahead in terms of both possession and territory.
Two key factors separated the sides:
  1. Support play - Despite their more numerous opportunities, most BBC attacking movements ended with a pass going to ground, or an isolated man. Conversely, Nudgee runners consistently came from depth, at speed, and had the hands to capitalise upon the opportunity.
  2. The BBC #9 - BBC were always at a disadvantage, as their scrumhalf consistently ‘cocked’ his pass before letting it go, allowing the Nudgee defence that extra second and shutting down the space in front of his team’s runners. The loss of momentum frequently stalled any momentum BBC had gained.
Ultimately, it was a solid and deserving win to Nudgee College, though both teams certainly have their work cut out for them. BBC may yet strengthen when key men, including Australian Schoolboys rep and wrecking ball Lolo Fakaosilea return from injury.

Continue reading...

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Well . you could say the whole team was 'lost' not just #4 & 5. Then again #5 is no more a second rower than #13 was a centre (he's a better winger). #5 has played the majority of his rugby in 8, 6 or 7 not the second row. He wasn't the only one made to play out of position. In the aftermath there will be those looking for someone to blame for the loss as it is with all such games, but the things players do well in a losing game are never given cred. I stand by my view 5, 7, 8, 15 and others 'Globetrotter' mentioned had to (in what was a pathetic performance by Corne Uyc's standards) needed to do what could be done. I concede that the loss of #12 was detrimental to the team (couldn't mention everyone, my posts are too wordy) and stemming the tide against a BGS side running hot was a lot to ask. I believe if all things were in place for the entire game as you, it would have been a better result.

Unlike 'Corne Uyc'only recognising #8 (played/plays for Australia), but he was one man doing what he does best and he was darn good at it too. But he wasn't the only one who acquitted himself.

After seeing the kid play and just finding out he played for Australian School, I'm not surprised at his selection. The rest of the team are just not up to scratch. No need to keep going over old ground with State High. They won't be troubling too many this year except the scoreboard attendant. Funnily enough, after the Grammar game they all went and stood in front of the scoreboard to get a good dose of reality.

I reckon I might head out to GT v IGS this weekend to see what all the hoo haa is about with those two teams.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
BBC dominated possession and territory, and had most of the play. In a way they where similar to the Reds on Saturday night, a couple of derpy decisions in defense lead to Nudgee taking advantage with clinical skill. The pack however did dominate the nudgee pack, which may come as a surprise to some, but not to me after having a chat to captain Hood on Thursday - the pack is huge! Lawless, Stewart, Hood, Junior to name a few but if they can capitalize on the strength of that pack then other teams are in trouble.

Two dropped balls over the line let them down, however the 1st XV and indeed the entire open age group can take a lot of heart from what happened on Saturday. Next week is state high and a great opportunity to get some points on the board and build confidence in time for Churchie in round 3.

Other than the open boys BBC was rubbish though.

G

G&GR News Bot

Round 1 Results:
Brisbane Grammar 63 defeated State High 10 (Review)
Toowoomba Grammar 24 defeated Churchie 18 (Review)
Ipswich Grammar 25 defeated Southport 17
Nudgee 28 defeated BBC 13 (Review)
Terrace had the bye
The competition table after Round 1 stands as:
TeamPlayedWonLostDrewPnts DiffTotal
Brisbane Grammar1100532
Nudgee1100152
Ipswich Grammar110082
Toowoomba Grammar110062
Gregory Terrace000000
Churchie1010-60
Southport1010-80
BBC1010-150
State High1010-530

Round 2 games are as follows:
Churchie v Nudgee
Terrace v Ipswich Grammar
State High v BBC
Brisbane Grammar v Toowomba Grammar
Southport have the bye.

Continue reading...

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fair enough call: Nudgee did make the most of fewer opportunities. True, BBC forwards did more than hold their own: kudos also needs to go to the lessor known BBC forwards, really no weaknesses there, incl. the two 16 yr olds at 1 & 4.

gbanger

Peter Burge (5)
Nudgee has an amazing depth in their 1st XV team. With 7 year 11's playing and 1 year 10. I reckon next years team as well will be the team to beat IMO. Also there was 8 debutants.

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nudgee has an amazing depth in their 1st XV team. With 7 year 11's playing and 1 year 10. I reckon next years team as well will be the team to beat IMO. Also there was 8 debutants.
Nudgee should strengthen as the season goes then, they have amazing depth and won't be as impacted by injury, possibly, as other teams.
Actually I think BBC played with 5 or 6 Yr 11's (??) but a number of them are 17yrs (ie Jnr, Conrad), I think three are 16's (1,4 & 10), one of which (Peterson @ no. 4) is at the College till 2014.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
You can hardly tell the Chruchie and Toowoomba jerseys apart. The ref must have had a hard time know who to penalise at the rucks.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)

And that is without Paulo or Hagan either recovering from injury or still injured.

gbanger

Peter Burge (5)
Wit
And that is without Paulo or Hagan either recovering from injury or still injured.
Without hagan and paulo. They would have been extremely lucky to make the team anyway. Hagan is a heavily overrated player IMO. Paulo defiantly would have been on the bench.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Predictions for Round 2?

GT vs. IGS
ACGS vs. NC
BSHS vs. BBC
BGS vs. TGS

i think Ippy will get over GT. will be close though. Ippy by 5-10 points.

NC will beat Churchie. i havent seen any games but purely from what ive read, NC sounds like a young, but well coached team where as Churchie sounds like a team of individuals who havent learnt to play together properly yet. That being said, if churchie gets the act together they will have a fantastic team. NC by 10-15 points

BBC should shred state high. 20+ points

BGS vs TGS is going to be the closest game of the round in my books. Both coming off very solid wins in round 1. I feel that TGS will win it if the boys in blue get complacent (after the 50 point victory on saturday) That being said it could go the other way with TGS getting complacent after the victory over one of the competition favourites. The game will be close either way. I predict the home team will win by under 7 points. Where is it being played?

J

John Coffee

After seeing the kid play and just finding out he played for Australian School, I'm not surprised at his selection. The rest of the team are just not up to scratch. No need to keep going over old ground with State High. They won't be troubling too many this year except the scoreboard attendant. Funnily enough, after the Grammar game they all went and stood in front of the scoreboard to get a good dose of reality.

I reckon I might head out to GT v IGS this weekend to see what all the hoo haa is about with those two teams.

Agree with you. I have read your profile posts and indeed it seems you have not spoken as harshly in your 9 comments about anything, but this team. Perhaps years of defeat has left you bitter & twisted or ... I should change my pseudonym.

Nudgee/Churchie game will be a more interesting contest.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
i think Ippy will get over GT. will be close though. Ippy by 5-10 points.

NC will beat Churchie. i havent seen any games but purely from what ive read, NC sounds like a young, but well coached team where as Churchie sounds like a team of individuals who havent learnt to play together properly yet. That being said, if churchie gets the act together they will have a fantastic team. NC by 10-15 points

BBC should shred state high. 20+ points

BGS vs TGS is going to be the closest game of the round in my books. Both coming off very solid wins in round 1. I feel that TGS will win it if the boys in blue get complacent (after the 50 point victory on saturday) That being said it could go the other way with TGS getting complacent after the victory over one of the competition favourites. The game will be close either way. I predict the home team will win by under 7 points. Where is it being played?

TGS are coming to BGS (Northgate)

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree with you. I have read your profile posts and indeed it seems you have not spoken as harshly in your 9 comments about anything, but this team. Perhaps years of defeat has left you bitter & twisted or . I should change my pseudonym.

Nudgee/Churchie game will be a more interesting contest.

Ha. Just harsh coz haven't seen a performance that bad. Rest assured, never wore any jersey with blue on it

B

Boomboom

Light the reason you will see a different group of posters each season is because at the end of the day schoolboy rugby should be discussed by schoolboys. People out of school clearly have no life if they spend hours commenting on schoolboy forums.

Schoolboy posters I believe give the best reviews because they simply know what's happening. Although they are bias towards their school there information is credible. This rubbish people post on this forum thinking they know things that they don't.

D train

Frank Row (1)
I've watched replays of every match using the live stream in my 3d television in my mums basement. To be honest, what's all this raving about terrace making the top 5? They were less than impressive in their trial round against Nudgee. It will be interesting to see how churchie responds to their loss against Tgs. The talk of them being the dark horses of queensland gps has defiantly been proven.

B

Boomboom

On a LIGHTER note.

I'm excited for the bgs-tgs game and the gt-igs games.
What we know is this all 4 teams won which means they didn't lose. Although gt's was a by it still gives confidence( nothing compared to the other three but everything counts)

The tgs game is imperative because they have a very good chance at premiership and the relatively unknown form of grammar is dependent on if they turn up to play. To be honest I would like to see grammar win because that would mean the competition would be extremely tight but I feel that tgs will pull through with a narrow win.

Gt-igs
This game is interesting. Terrace seem to be more a defensive team from what I gather from the forum. Ipswich on the other hand have a large selection of strong ball runners and are very dominant in the offensive side of things. This means tHat whilste igs are attacking the game will be locked up. Once gt get position it all changes. Either they will develop some attacking flare or fall into a slump similar to their churchie trial. Set peice is going to be dominated by igs. Rep front rowers and dominant Lineout jumpers will mean they will kill in those areas.

This games is important if gt want to develops any real momentum moving into the middle season. Igs if they get up will secure their spot well in the top 3 and move into an attacking position.

Couldn't separate the 2 so I'll go with a draw .

Nc churchie is irelavant. If acgs lose they will pretty much be out of the comp top 2 spots. And nudge remain at the top. If nudgee lose it simply evens the comp out and makes it a more thrilling ride. Going of previous years I believe churchie will win this. Every year they pull a win out of no where.

Bbc will win with ease. Pretty much engraving bshs into the wooden spoon. If some how state high scrape a win, it will take all chances of a top 5 spot for bbc away as they will defiantly lose future games against nc, acgs, tgs and most likely terrace. Injuries remain a big problem for bbc so this game I feel is a real battle for the wooden spoon

Fellow bloggers, fire away with any questions

gbanger

Peter Burge (5)
After viewing the nudgee/terrace trail game the huge ''unknown' nudgee winger will be returing for this weeks game against churchie. After investigating this boy the 100kg winger that runs sprints for gps can be named as Robert donerly. With his older brother playing city for Brisbane and his father playing wallabies it is no surprise! Look out churchie winger, you will need an ambulance because the beast is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.