• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G&GR News Bot

In a competition of nine sides, five now sit in a logjam at the top of the table. Ipswich, Nudgee, Toowoomba, TSS and BGS each have had a single loss; Ipswich and Nudgee are tied for first only because they’ve played an extra match and are yet to have their bye. With every result crucial,

Click this link to read the full article...

P

ProneBone613

Sorry mate they had 1 key player out and sorry to say they were just severely outplayed on the day. There front row would have weighed more than the entire TGS pack yet if you throw a ball around enough the big fellars just can't keep up and run out of puff. TGS U15s just played smart rugby and IGS had no answer. Half time score was 12 to 10 to IGS how do you explain a 41 to 17 score line to TGS if they were just lucky . Go figure
Obviously this is a tgs supporter, and i do believe it was 3 players being, the #12 Ethan Page, #11 Mitchell Michael and #2 Yohan Koorts. Injuries during the game were a cause, but considering they had 3 B players playing for the A's. Also the ref was a big help for tgs allowing 2 tries where their had been a previous knock on. IGS forwards demolished TGS, let down for IGS was the back-line where nearly every try was scored.

Blogs

Frank Nicholson (4)
Obviously this is a tgs supporter, and i do believe it was 3 players being, the #12 Ethan Page, #11 Mitchell Michael and #2 Yohan Koorts. Injuries during the game were a cause, but considering they had 3 B players playing for the A's. Also the ref was a big help for tgs allowing 2 tries where their had been a previous knock on. IGS forwards demolished TGS, let down for IGS was the back-line where nearly every try was scored.
Obviously you are an Ipswich supporter and guess what you lost stop making excuses the ref was equally bad both ways. End of discussion.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
We watched that one too, and we've watched a few more previously, and still can't pinpoint anything that shows a deserving spot in that schoolboys squad.
Common guys,
He was a standout in a winning QLD u16, in 2012 QLD red team, in Aus A against Tonga, and best forward of BSHS and TB, 2012 winners of under 17 club comp. Cut him some slack.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
went and saw the tss v bshs

Dont really know how Korcyzk made aus, very overrated player imo
Yes agreed, I've watched him against BGS and now TSS, and he hasn't shown anything to be impressive enough to be called into the Aus squad. Particularly considering that he has essentially been a direct replacement for Jack Cornelson of BGS, who has been very impressive in the game that I have watched previously this season. The video of the tries shows him making some great runs against BBC on Sat

D

damo1

went and saw the tss v bshs

Dont really know how Korcyzk made aus, very overrated player imo

I have to agree with this. He is a big guy with a good build , but he doesnt get involved enough in the play, nor get his head over the ball enough for my liking.

Also, the defensive technique of the BSHS backline is atrocious. They just didnt mark up at all on the TSS centres. The TSS 5/8 plays well at the line and it seems the BSHS centres were watching him and not their man, and hence got totally carved up. They werent even getting a hand on their opposites. The 15 for BSHS just kept getting caught standing still in defence, so the TSS backs stepped past him for 5 or 6 tries without getting even a hand on them- he needed to be coming forward to make the tackle - very unsatisafactory for First XV standard.

having said all that, I cant believe that any coach at BSHS hasnt worked with theses players to address this, as this is fundamental, and very fixable.
State High has a long history of recruiting league players from primary schools, moreso than junior union reps - as a casual observer, it seems they may have gone away from this

U

Usain Bolt

After seeing quite a few of the teams this year, I can really see State High winning the wooden spoon. Talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse for such a distinguished rugby program.
Terrace already has a win (& more ticker this year) and BBC is on 3 points.
Churchie (1 point) will get some wins as pride will take over now that expectations have been shattered.
There are bigger kids in the State High U15A's than a lot of the 1sts!
The state high rugby programme went off the rails after Noon and Eagles retired from coaching in 2010. They had the cattle last year to win the comp but nothing seemed to jell. The new coaches seemed to generate a lot of negativity no doubt resulting from inexperience having not ever coached at first XV level. This year has been an unmitigated disaster. More of the same negativity but no cattle. The forwards hold their own (just) but they concede 50 points a game through the back three. Defence is about attitude which appears to be sadly lacking with state high this year especially out wide. They are playing small grade 11 players at full back and at least one wing who are easy targets. They just can't or won't tackle. There have also ben some player management issues. Ben Roy Sala (prop) was confined to the 16A's last year and told there wasn't much interest in him playing first XV this year. He packed up camp and went to BBC where he has been playing the house down. The 16A's #10 from last year Jack Martin was given similar info. He hung around but ended up playing starting #10 for Prem Colts at Brothers. They re called him for 2 games but has not been seen since. Word is he is back at Brothers. Unfortunately it appears state high will get the wooden spoon. So disillusioned with the way things are going a few key players in the 14's and 15's have left for other GPS schools. Whist state high offer merit entry in grade 8 for rugby players this also has to be done in grade 10 and 11. The problem is there are no longer unlimited places in the school for rugby . It is now up to the headmaster. He needs to take a leaf out of BGS book who needed to be belted 103-nil in 2009 to make changes. State high need to get professional coaches and directors of rugby (ie Noon and Eagle). Talented rugby players won't go to a school where the coaching is substandard. They also have to make room for at least 5-6 players each year in grade 10 and 11. The key to a good rugby programme is the success of the first XV. Build it and they will come.

P

ProneBone613

Obviously you are an Ipswich supporter and guess what you lost stop making excuses the ref was equally bad both ways. End of discussion.
Sorry champ but im a nudgee oldboy. TGS were the better team on the day dont get me wrong, but seeing both teams at thier best IGS would easily have to be the better team.

sniper22

Bob McCowan (2)
Common guys,
He was a standout in a winning QLD u16, in 2012 QLD red team, in Aus A against Tonga, and best forward of BSHS and TB, 2012 winners of under 17 club comp. Cut him some slack.

You just summed up his past performances right there, so he should have the skills and experience from all that, but there's nothing to brag about. Surely he would have leadership in the forwards playing with his school mates, so I highly doubt he would've been chosen if selectors watch him now. There's just no x factor, and inconsistency is

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
Tips for round 6?

TSS d TGS by 5
NC d IGS by 10
BGS d ACGS by 10-15
GT d BSHS by 10

This weekend looks to hold some of the biggest match-ups of the season and should give us a look at the true contenders for the premiership. NC v IGS seems to be the game to be at this weekend, will be interesting to see how IGS can recover from last weeks loss and how well they can shut down Tuttle's backline.
TSS v TGS will be quite a match with both teams having everything to gain and everything to loose, High stakes as the winner will have their foot in the door for 1st place. Who else thinks this game will be won through Southport's intricate Forward play?

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
You just summed up his past performances right there, so he should have the skills and experience from all that, but there's nothing to brag about. Surely he would have leadership in the forwards playing with his school mates, so I highly doubt he would've been chosen if selectors watch him now. There's just no x factor, and inconsistency is
Sorry, but you should not make these comments after watching this kid in 2 games. Your points are not true or fair and deny the idea of this forum. For your defence I agree that BGS and TSS supporters may feel disappointed that their players were not selected and a kid from the worst team in comp got in. This kid has been performing extremely well this season (you should make an effort to see all comments on this forum re; all BSHS games, he played with number 8 so you should easily find this). He wasnt that good against TSS I agree but how would you feel every saturday to see your full of holes backline badly exposed. So if you have any other negative comments to make re: Korczyk give me real examples. Not this biased stuff.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Korzyck not good enough?

...You have got to be kidding me, he's about to be selected for Oz Schools run-on due to his recent form.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I have spoken to some Terrace parents about this team and there are some impressive bloodlines in this 13A team. ( while being related to good players does not necessarily mean the same performance or results, the names piqued my interest). Some of the players in this team include Birgan, Reiser, Nasser and Lucas. Not saying they are the standout players, but results would suggest pedigree is helping

I refereed these guys a couple of weeks ago (I've refereed 7 of the GPS 13A teams) and was mightily impressed by them. Their No 2 was outstanding (from memory I think he was their captain as well). Every time he got the ball he would get over the gain line and frequently would stand in the backline on kick-off receives and just smash them up the middle. Their set piece play was rock solid and continuity excellent - very well-drilled pack. Lucas at No 9 looked pretty handy too. As you say, bloodlines...

P

Papa Cracks NC

DoeS anyone know where i can watch the nudgee v terrace game recored?

gpsrugby2012

Stan Wickham (3)
can someone share some light into the BGS v BBC game? Grammar winning when down by 2 tries with 10 mins to go is pretty exciting - who played well etc?

It was an exciting game indeed! With merely 10 minutes left on the clock roughly, College looked sure to win the game and possibly end Grammar's hopes of a title. But the Grammarians prevailed and through the swift feet of winger Matt Marsden, Grammar posted two more tries to seal the game and provide an almost convincing scoreline, not reflective of the closeness in the late minutes. Sam Greene held strong in this last quarter of the game and showed his skill and leadership whilst other players stepped up to the mark. Pat Morrey, in his first game in the 1sts for BGS wearing #7 played extraordinarily joining his fellow Year 11er, Marsden with 2 meat pies for the game.

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
It was an exciting game indeed! With merely 10 minutes left on the clock roughly, College looked sure to win the game and possibly end Grammar's hopes of a title. But the Grammarians prevailed and through the swift feet of winger Matt Marsden, Grammar posted two more tries to seal the game and provide an almost convincing scoreline, not reflective of the closeness in the late minutes. Sam Greene held strong in this last quarter of the game and showed his skill and leadership whilst other players stepped up to the mark. Pat Morrey, in his first game in the 1sts for BGS wearing #7 played extraordinarily joining his fellow Year 11er, Marsden with 2 meat pies for the game.

Hmmm ... a minor detail ... perhaps BBC being reduced to 14 players in the last 10 minutes had a little something to do with the game opening up??
FYI ... I believe BBC have led at half time in every match this season ... soon some team is going to cop a full 70 minutes from them.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Hmmm . a minor detail . perhaps BBC being reduced to 14 players in the last 10 minutes had a little something to do with the game opening up??
FYI . I believe BBC have led at half time in every match this season . soon some team is going to cop a full 70 minutes from them.
Yeah i also heard there was a prop 10 minutes in the sinbin or something for the end of the game? apparently the offense was pretty blatant though...
sucks for bbc, lose one player and 4 tries are scored on them. thats a rough finish. kudos to bgs though, sounds like they played pretty well. how was greene? still the player to watch this season? ive only seen one bgs game (vs tgs) and he was brilliant in that..

Status
Not open for further replies.