• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
I thought Papworth was a hooker? or at least thats where i think i remember seeing him named.

I think the Marsden/Hussey battle will be a good one this year in GPS selections, and is there any confirmation about Third and Fielea repeating this year? I agree with the call about Mack Mason, if he's as good as people say then he should start over Third who had a limited game against BGS last year (I believe he was recovering from a serious facial injury when they played).

And please, dont let grammar trolls like Tubba God, Tubba Junior, Little Tubba or anything remotely related with Tubba tell you any differently, Lakehm Aiono is not repeating. I saw on facebook two days ago that he's working full time at some ice factory in mount gravatt whilst pursuing his rugby league, and not enjoying it. Not going to lie, in this heat I'm more than a bit jealous of the ice factory gig.

I just had an opportunity to play a game of touch with some new students in grade 11, it was a fun game but it was very skillful. These new players, if they play at all, do not look too bad at all
I am pretty sure that's Jake Lyon. Papworth is definately the tall lanky player. To be honest the loss of Lakehm isn't that bad he had minimal impact in the games I saw. As for the Hussey/Marsden situation, in my opinion Hussey has the spot. Hussey got the spot over him last year in the Queensland teams but time will tell I might be wrong. Remember that we are also yet to confirm Placid in 2013 and if he is then Isaac Nathan will probably move to the other wing spot over both of them

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
T
I thought Papworth was a hooker? or at least thats where i think i remember seeing him named.

I think the Marsden/Hussey battle will be a good one this year in GPS selections, and is there any confirmation about Third and Fielea repeating this year? I agree with the call about Mack Mason, if he's as good as people say then he should start over Third who had a limited game against BGS last year (I believe he was recovering from a serious facial injury when they played).

And please, dont let grammar trolls like Tubba God, Tubba Junior, Little Tubba or anything remotely related with Tubba tell you any differently, Lakehm Aiono is not repeating. I saw on facebook two days ago that he's working full time at some ice factory in mount gravatt whilst pursuing his rugby league, and not enjoying it. Not going to lie, in this heat I'm more than a bit jealous of the ice factory gig.

I just had an opportunity to play a game of touch with some new students in grade 11, it was a fun game but it was very skillful. These new players, if they play at all, do not look too bad at all
Mitch Third is repeating and Nili Fialea was in grade 11 last year. Third unfortunately missed a few games last year due to injury.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I am pretty sure that's Jake Lyon. Papworth is definately the tall lanky player. To be honest the loss of Lakehm isn't that bad he had minimal impact in the games I saw. As for the Hussey/Marsden situation, in my opinion Hussey has the spot. Hussey got the spot over him last year in the Queensland teams but time will tell I might be wrong. Remember that we are also yet to confirm Placid in 2013 and if he is then Isaac Nathan will probably move to the other wing spot over both of them

Jonah Placid is not repeating. Isn't he contracted by the ARU or a rugby league club? Papworth played 7 last year for Southport, but also has experience as 6,8 and second row. I picked him over MacMillan and McNamee in GPS 1 because last year he played in the Combined States team in the U18 Nationals. Lakehm IS repeating as far as I know of, so I think 'The King' is throwing people off.

About the Third Vs. Mason debate. They will be the two premier flyhalfs this year but I favour Third- he has a great kicking and passing game and is also very tactical in his play. I have never seen Mack Mason play so am unaware of his ability, but I know Third is a very good player. Should be a great competition this year. My predictions:

1. TSS- Best flyhalf IMO which really determined the outcome of the competition last. Strong and big backrow with 6. Brown, 7. Papworth and 8. Guttenbiel. Fielea is massive for a centre so should tear up the competition.
2. NC- Strongest front row in my opinion with Leilisiauo, Mafi, Luka who are all QLD U16 reps. Good backline with 9. Pilz, 10. Tuttle, 13. Maclean Jones and 14. Hussey. Jayden Rodwell (6,7,8) is a key impact player.
3. ACGS- Tanuvasa, Mason, Fox, Shcafer, Scott-Young. Not too sure about last years U16s.
4. BGS- Halliday, Cox, Aiono? , Marsden, Laud, Morrey, Kemp. A new outside back and new loose forward whose names I don't know. Where are they without Greene and Cornelsen?
5. GT- Sitanilea, McNamee, Green, Te-rupe, Leofa. A lot of First XV experience from last year, could cause the competition a real shake up. Wouldn't disregard them for a podium finish. Looking forward to seeing the reemergence of Terrace rugby.
6. BBC- Quick, Bowen, Peterson, Sala, new backrower (not too sure on the name). Loss of Fakaosilea will really hurt BBC, as will the departures of Kallel, Collins, Dyring and Banks.
7. IGS- Great team last year but most representative players have left (Pleash, Preen, Tela). Obviously the return of Hayes will do them good, as will Schultz having another year of First XV rugby. Could be lacking in the Tight 5 unless they have recruited.
8. BSHS- Apparently had a strong U16s age group last year but not many of those players got a regular starting spot in the First XV.
9. TGS- Really will struggle this year with the loss of their coach Jason Gilmore and all QLD representatives (Deck, Placid, Potgieter, Hartley, Vanzati). Don't know of too Year 11s from last year in the side.

Johnny13

Peter Burge (5)
In my opinion this years premiership race will be between NC and Churchie.
They both have great coaches and players and Churchie have recruited well with Iziah Perese and Harley Fox both from St Edmunds college while Mack Mason is from Downlands. It's going to be interested with the Churchie outfit coming up against the likes of Rodwell,Jones and Mafi

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
Jonah Placid is not repeating. Isn't he contracted by the ARU or a rugby league club? Papworth played 7 last year for Southport, but also has experience as 6,8 and second row. I picked him over MacMillan and McNamee in GPS 1 because last year he played in the Combined States team in the U18 Nationals. Lakehm IS repeating as far as I know of, so I think 'The King' is throwing people off.

About the Third Vs. Mason debate. They will be the two premier flyhalfs this year but I favour Third- he has a great kicking and passing game and is also very tactical in his play. I have never seen Mack Mason play so am unaware of his ability, but I know Third is a very good player. Should be a great competition this year. My predictions:

1. TSS- Best flyhalf IMO which really determined the outcome of the competition last. Strong and big backrow with 6. Brown, 7. Papworth and 8. Guttenbiel. Fielea is massive for a centre so should tear up the competition.
2. NC- Strongest front row in my opinion with Leilisiauo, Mafi, Luka who are all QLD U16 reps. Good backline with 9. Pilz, 10. Tuttle, 13. Maclean Jones and 14. Hussey. Jayden Rodwell (6,7,8) is a key impact player.
3. ACGS- Tanuvasa, Mason, Fox, Shcafer, Scott-Young. Not too sure about last years U16s.
4. BGS- Halliday, Cox, Aiono? , Marsden, Laud, Morrey, Kemp. A new outside back and new loose forward whose names I don't know. Where are they without Greene and Cornelsen?
5. GT- Sitanilea, McNamee, Green, Te-rupe, Leofa. A lot of First XV experience from last year, could cause the competition a real shake up. Wouldn't disregard them for a podium finish. Looking forward to seeing the reemergence of Terrace rugby.
6. BBC- Quick, Bowen, Peterson, Sala, new backrower (not too sure on the name). Loss of Fakaosilea will really hurt BBC, as will the departures of Kallel, Collins, Dyring and Banks.
7. IGS- Great team last year but most representative players have left (Pleash, Preen, Tela). Obviously the return of Hayes will do them good, as will Schultz having another year of First XV rugby. Could be lacking in the Tight 5 unless they have recruited.
8. BSHS- Apparently had a strong U16s age group last year but not many of those players got a regular starting spot in the First XV.
9. TGS- Really will struggle this year with the loss of their coach Jason Gilmore and all QLD representatives (Deck, Placid, Potgieter, Hartley, Vanzati). Don't know of too Year 11s from last year in the side.
BSH did have a strong 16A side last year and a few of them managed some game time in the first last season. The BSH forwards will be much more impressive than last year. Props, Mclean, who played 4 games in first but missed most of the season through injury, Enoka kalupu (who I heard IGS were chasing) coming into the front row this year at 130 KGs, Alistair Berking, came into first last year from an injury, Ben Petaia, played all games in the first, Callum enoch-Barlow, Josh Wood coming up from 16A, others there are Matt Sautia (Chris brother) and a few others also pushing to get into the side. In the backs Antoine Isoefo has matured and set to have a big impact. Serge Panochini, Antonio Asiata and Jermaine Carter are all players with first experience and pushing for a spot in the team. All those players are regular selections in representative football and I do not believe you can dismiss them so lightly. I believe BSH will be looking at a top 3 finish this year.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
BSH did have a strong 16A side last year and a few of them managed some game time in the first last season. The BSH forwards will be much more impressive than last year. Props, Mclean, who played 4 games in first but missed most of the season through injury, Enoka kalupu (who I heard IGS were chasing) coming into the front row this year at 130 KGs, Alistair Berking, came into first last year from an injury, Ben Petaia, played all games in the first, Callum enoch-Barlow, Josh Wood coming up from 16A, others there are Matt Sautia (Chris brother) and a few others also pushing to get into the side. In the backs Antoine Isoefo has matured and set to have a big impact. Serge Panochini, Antonio Asiata and Jermaine Carter are all players with first experience and pushing for a spot in the team. All those players are regular selections in representative football and I do not believe you can dismiss them so lightly. I believe BSH will be looking at a top 3 finish this year.
No 'big name' players in there. How come none of those players were selected in QLD U16 teams or GPS teams last year?

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
No 'big name' players in there. How come none of those players were selected in QLD U16 teams or GPS teams last year?
That is a good question that only the "selectors" can answer and is probably best left to another forum, as there is a lot of "feeling" out there over the manner in which selections are made. There are many good players, both club and school, who have been overlooked for selection, who are just as good, if not better than some of those "big names" that you rely so heavily upon. To base your predictions purely on what teams have "big names" in them is too simplistic and fails to take into account player development. I will wait until a few games into the season before judging the impact those "big names" have had on the success of those schools they play for as opposed to a school like BSH without any "big names".

mr pls

Allen Oxlade (6)
I believe Terrace will go well but not a top 3 finish due to lack of experience but they do have big impact players that will still keep them up there. BSHS are in the same boat as Terrace. Nudgee and Southport have recruited some good players by the sounds of it and both teams will be contesting podium positions because of the mixture of skill, experience and good rugby programmes. Don't have much of an opinion on other teams but the loss of junior will definitely have an impact on BBC.

Scrummy

Bob McCowan (2)
TSS 1st XV Predictions:

1. Brandon Kay
2. Jake Lyon/Brad Undi
3. Sam Clifton
4. Tom Perkins/ athan Lyons/Luke Papsworth
5. Jake Upfield
6. Joel Brown
7. Luke Papsworth (Maybe 2nd Row)
8. Evander Guttenbiel (Maybe prop)
9. Issak Fines
10. Mitch Third
11. Issac Nathan
12. Fred Dorrough
13. Nili Fielia
14. Ben Pearce
15. Ed Gibson

Other boys (Possibility in team or reserves):
Joey Fittock
Toby Greenup
PJ Van Den Berg
George and Charley Chapman
Benji Neal
Tom Kliese

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
TSS 1st XV Predictions:

1. Brandon Kay
2. Jake Lyon/Brad Undi
3. Sam Clifton
5. Jake Upfield
6. Joel Brown
9. Issak Fines
10. Mitch Third
11. Issac Nathan
12. Fred Dorrough
13. Nili Fielia
14. Ben Pearce
15. Ed Gibson

Joey Fittock
Toby Greenup
PJ Van Den Berg
Benji Neal
Tom Kliese

I think that team is very close to the mark. Lyon should hold his position, he was oustanding last year. Perkins should be at 4. I think maybe Gibson at 12 and Neal at 15. Is Joey Fittock from NSW. Plenty of depth at TSS.

mr pls

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can anybody tell me what the skills and playing style of these new imports of GT, Nudgee and churchie are?

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Jonah Placid is not repeating. Isn't he contracted by the ARU or a rugby league club?

Jonah Placid is back this year, that's been confirmed since 2012. And he's enough to push any team up a few spots- he was judged the best Aus Schools player last year for a reason. If it wasn't for Sam Greene's interference Placid would've won Toowoomba the game against BGS at Northgate and flipped the entire season's results on their head.

Papworth played 7 last year for Southport, but also has experience as 6,8 and second row. I picked him over MacMillan and McNamee in GPS 1 because last year he played in the Combined States team in the U18 Nationals. Lakehm IS repeating as far as I know of, so I think 'The King' is throwing people off.

MacMillan and McNamee are solid players, but I'd agree that Papworth stands above the two. Even Grammar's unheralded Patrick Morrey (#7) is a contender for the openside spot, coming in after their only loss to IGS and providing a brilliant platform for BGS's end-of-season surge to the premiership with incredible displays of ball running and pilfering. And I'm pretty confident Lakehm isn't back- as I've said before, last I heard he was involved with the Junior Broncos- especially considering the returning talents of Matt Marsden (wing/fullback), Fergus Halliday (scrumhalf/flyhalf/fullback), Trey Kemp (centre/wing), Dan Forsyth (scrumhalf/wing) and Zac Laud (centre/wing) (all 1st XV starters, with the first four having played U16 QLD Red/White).

About the Third Vs. Mason debate. They will be the two premier flyhalfs this year but I favour Third- he has a great kicking and passing game and is also very tactical in his play. I have never seen Mack Mason play so am unaware of his ability, but I know Third is a very good player. Should be a great competition this year.

In regards to the Third vs. Mason debate, I'm backing the former. 2013 ironically marks his third year as Southport's starting #10, and with Nili Fielea and Isaac Nathan, arguably the two best outside backs in the GPS competition, starting outside him, he'll be looking the goods and I'd have thought the selectors would want to keep that combination together come representative season.

TSS, Nudgee, BGS are my picks. But it's anyone's game. This time last year Grammar were considered cellar dweller's and Churchie had their centenary title in the bag before trials had started. Look how those predictions turned out.

FootyHead29

Stan Wickham (3)
TSS 1st XV Predictions:

1. Brandon Kay
2. Jake Lyon/Brad Undi
3. Sam Clifton
5. Jake Upfield
6. Joel Brown
9. Issak Fines
10. Mitch Third
11. Issac Nathan
12. Fred Dorrough
13. Nili Fielia
14. Ben Pearce
15. Ed Gibson

Joey Fittock
Toby Greenup
PJ Van Den Berg
Benji Neal
Tom Kliese
great prediction, only change i would make is Fittock for Pearce and perkins will be the 4. look for gibson this year, very underated player

FootyHead29

Stan Wickham (3)
And from all reports the TSS sqaud are training very well with 1st 11 cricketers, Lyons, Gibson, Campbell, Menzies and Mcmahon aswell as rowers including Jake upfield, Stonhill, Scholefield still to join full training to spice up competition. Great signs for the southport boys

J

John.rawl

TSS 1st XV Predictions:

1. Brandon Kay
2. Jake Lyon/Brad Undi
3. Sam Clifton
5. Jake Upfield
6. Joel Brown
9. Issak Fines
10. Mitch Third
11. Issac Nathan
12. Fred Dorrough
13. Nili Fielia
14. Ben Pearce
15. Ed Gibson

Joey Fittock
Toby Greenup
PJ Van Den Berg
Benji Neal
Tom Kliese

Pj has a good chance at making the team also, and i think neal will play 15, with gibson moving to 12 with fittock taking ben pearces spot

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Prediction GPS 1:
1. Lakehm Aiono (BGS)
2. Alex Mafi (NC)
3. Harley Fox (ACGS)/Paulo Leleisiuao (NC)
4. Dalton Cox (BGS)
5. Maclean Jones (NC)
6. Jayden Rodwell (NC)/Digger MacMillan (ACGS)
7. Luke Papworth (TSS)/Toby McNamee (GT)
8. Daniel Sitanilea (GT)/Jamason Shultz (IGS)
9. James Tuttle (NC)
10. Mitch Third (TSS)
11. Matt Marsden (BGS)/Tyrone Hussey (NC)
12. Nigel Tanuvasa (ACGS)
13. Conrad Quick (BBC)
14. Nili Fielea (TSS)
15. Isaac Nathan (TSS)

Lakehm's best chance of making rep teams would be as a prop considering how strong the other centres in the competitions are. Not too sure about Harley Fox but I know he made QLD Red last year as reserve THP, even though he will be playing in the backrow for Churchie. Maclean Jones isn't a second-rower, but their isn't much depth in the GPS in that position. The backrow is extremely competitve with a lot of competition for GPS 1 spots. The backline looks really strong though.

Too early to be making predictions like this. That being said, I'd have thought Jake Lyon and Evander Guttenbiel (TSS hooker and lock/eight respectively) would have been in contention. Obviously Mafi has to start but Lyon's form was impressive last year. MacLean Jones is highly unlikely to start, yet alone in the forwards. I'm looking forward to seeing how selectors fit Tanavasu, Quick, Bowen, Fielea, Marsden, Hussey, Nathan, Third, Mason, Schafer etc. into GPS 1/2.

I'm also hoping that if James Tuttle is selected at 9, it's deserved and not just based on reputation. He was much better at fullback than scrumhalf for Nudgee and I personally think he struggled at QLD U16s in the 9 jersey. He's reasonably inexperienced in the position and he struggled to provide width and quick ball in various patches. Which other candidates are there for the scrumhalf spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.