• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Once more on TSS.
I know they've got a lot of their squad returning this year.

2. Jake Lyon
3. Sam Clifton
7. Luke Papworth
8. Evan Guttenbiel (Although I've heard rumours- unconfirmed- that he's being moved to loosehead)
10. Mitch Third
12. Nili Fielea
15/11. Isaac Nathan

Plus I think there's a few other regular 1st XV players. I'm looking forward to the likes of van den Berg, Dorrough, Brown and Lyons making the step up from 16A's. Is there any other new talent at TSS this year?

And one other thing- a quick scroll through last year's 15A line-up revealed a blindside by the name of Jamison Quirk. Any relation? And are we likely to see him step up into the flagship team in 2013?

GPS_rugby

Frank Row (1)
Star player for BSHS Matt smitt out for the season after a career ending shoulder injury. it wil be very hard finding a replacement for this up coming cowboys star.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
TSS didn't loose to NC last year mate they won 31-19 at ross oval they di however loose to ippy in the opening round, and who is russell?
My understanding is that after the Polla -Monta debacle many years ago(aussie Schoolboy Rugby Captain signed with Bulldogs the day after the British Isles Tour) that the position is:
1)you can play for Qld Schoolboys if you w only have a training contract with an NRL club(like many of the boys in this post);
2)you cannot play for Qld Schoolboys if you have registered a contract with the NRL for a Toyota cup side;
3) one thing is certain -you cannot play for Aussie schoolboys unless you sign up with ARU. Any boy who makes the British Isles tour this year (coahed by Phillpots/Rapp)will NOT be playing NRL for at least 12 months after the tour and w ill have signed with ARU.

Your point is wellmade-there are dozens of former rugby schoolboy stars now playing NRL Toyota Cup

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
The selector's attitude at these things is to find the "other" guys. Whether anyone likes it or not, certain players are "in" because of what they are proven to have done at higher levels in the past and this drives selections because of the nonsensical state of having to pick rep sides before a competition ball has been played. I wouldn't be carried away with the trial results and most posters seem to be of the same mind. There are some decent players in AIC - sure - the likes of Wilkins (Iona)and Junior (Pats) spring to mind but year after year the AIC -GPS Games prove GPS is the strongest comp and thus the higher proportion of players come from those teams. Don't write off BGS, they have very competent coaches and Marsden is a match winner. IGS are scarily big, NC are always strong and Churchie played without at least 4 potential Qld reps in MacMillan, Parese, Tanuvasa and Mason. I'm going to make my call for the comp early and say TSS will take the cup. Third has a point to prove and he will be like Greene for BGS last year, their S&C program builds great rugby specific bodies and Coach Wallace is a very good operator. TSS - NC will be standing room only. The venue may determine the outcome and the premiership.

Specific rugby bodies! Well said ,I overheard one opposition coach saying about TSS reserves who ran on"shit here comes more slabs of granite",.Whoever does their S&C is doing a good job

Hits74

Frank Nicholson (4)
My understanding is that after the Polla -Monta debacle many years ago(aussie Schoolboy Rugby Captain signed with Bulldogs the day after the British Isles Tour) that the position is:
1)you can play for Qld Schoolboys if you w only have a training contract with an NRL club(like many of the boys in this post);
2)you cannot play for Qld Schoolboys if you have registered a contract with the NRL for a Toyota cup side;
3) one thing is certain -you cannot play for Aussie schoolboys unless you sign up with ARU. Any boy who makes the British Isles tour this year (coahed by Phillpots/Rapp)will NOT be playing NRL for at least 12 months after the tour and w ill have signed with ARU.

Your point is wellmade-there are dozens of former rugby schoolboy stars now playing NRL Toyota Cup

Mate can you show me where you got any of this from as I don't recall seeing it on the eligibility section last time I looked.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I think the favourite this year has to be TSS. They have depth, they have a winning culture and they have experience. NC, ACGS et al to be trailing behind them.

News out of BBC - Phillpotts taking over as director of rugby is, IMO, doing the program wonders. He has broadened the focus away from the First XV and really made it about the whole program. BBC will be short on depth this year but in years to come they will be much stronger than they have been. Making simple improvements like not cancelling training if it's raining, as well as having strong pre season numbers (particularly in the lower grades) will mean improvement right across the board. If they can keep it up in a few years they will have the quality and depth to push for a long awaited premiership. This has given Barker the freedom to manage the First XV.

Interesting on McLean, in his first game for bbc a few years ago they put him in my team - they wanted to give him an easy start in the c's (he's a year older so he could play at my age). I was at flyhalf and him outside c. He scored four times in the first half, he has electric pace. Got the ball straight off a scrum and threw a (very dodgy) cutout pass to him and he must've gassed 2 men marking him and then shown the fullback the door (ala Jason Robinson, Chris Latham). He is fantastic on attack. But his defense was woeful at that stage (probably as bad as me lol), he had no idea how to tackle. I'm guessing if he's been with the Storm they have been doing a lot of work on his defense?

Is Lakeham repeating or is he not repeating? I keep hearing that he is then he isn't then he is? Could someone at BGS please confirm?

Moving to GT (seeing as this forum is by and large obsessed with GT) and I can see them making steady progress this year, but not being world beaters. The loss of Dalgleish is an issue - he provided a lot of leadership and was a real professional in the way he trained (know him, great bloke), but I can see them having enough cover.

Looks to be another exciting season, bring it on!

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I think the favourite this year has to be TSS. They have depth, they have a winning culture and they have experience. NC, ACGS et al to be trailing behind them.

News out of BBC - Phillpotts taking over as director of rugby is, IMO, doing the program wonders. He has broadened the focus away from the First XV and really made it about the whole program. BBC will be short on depth this year but in years to come they will be much stronger than they have been. Making simple improvements like not cancelling training if it's raining, as well as having strong pre season numbers (particularly in the lower grades) will mean improvement right across the board. If they can keep it up in a few years they will have the quality and depth to push for a long awaited premiership. This has given Barker the freedom to manage the First XV.

Interesting on McLean, in his first game for bbc a few years ago they put him in my team - they wanted to give him an easy start in the c's (he's a year older so he could play at my age). I was at flyhalf and him outside c. He scored four times in the first half, he has electric pace. Got the ball straight off a scrum and threw a (very dodgy) cutout pass to him and he must've gassed 2 men marking him and then shown the fullback the door (ala Jason Robinson, Chris Latham). He is fantastic on attack. But his defense was woeful at that stage (probably as bad as me lol), he had no idea how to tackle. I'm guessing if he's been with the Storm they have been doing a lot of work on his defense?

Is Lakeham repeating or is he not repeating? I keep hearing that he is then he isn't then he is? Could someone at BGS please confirm?

Moving to GT (seeing as this forum is by and large obsessed with GT) and I can see them making steady progress this year, but not being world beaters. The loss of Dalgleish is an issue - he provided a lot of leadership and was a real professional in the way he trained (know him, great bloke), but I can see them having enough cover.

Lakehm is repeating at BGS. If you go back a couple of pages to Taipan's photos of the trial games you will see him. Looks like he ran out as captain. They've moved him to LHP this season so hopefully they have put a lot of time into his fitness. I can see him being one of the premier props in the GPS this season.

Onto BBC, is it true that they have actually imported an entire team? or is this just a rumour?

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Lakehm Aiono (looshead prop), Michael Murray (hooker), Stuart McReight (tighthead prop), Dalton Cox, (lock), Patrick Morrey (openside flanker), Fergus Halliday (scrumhalf/flyhalf) and Matt Marsden (winger/fullback) have all been selected from BGS to compete at GPS trials this Saturday at Ballymore. Any news on other selections?

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
Lakehm Aiono (looshead prop), Michael Murray (hooker), Stuart McReight (tighthead prop), Dalton Cox, (lock), Patrick Morrey (openside flanker), Fergus Halliday (scrumhalf/flyhalf) and Matt Marsden (winger/fullback) have all been selected from BGS to compete at GPS trials this Saturday at Ballymore. Any news on other selections?
12 were selected from BSHS

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)

10 from BBC-Nathan Russell, Josh Bowen, Bronson Tauakipulu, Max Dempsey, Benroy Sala, Brad Saunders, Luke Peterson, Tiaan Wilkins, Darcy Swain, Dylan Leyland.(5 are new)
Wilkins is the new kid from NZ on traing bursary with the M/Storm in Grade 10!. Conrad Quick would be there(made it last year) but is injured again!!.But where the hell is Noel McLean? Maybe he has signed a real contract with the Storm and Phillpots said "see ya".

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)

You are correct about BBC.Losing Junior/Lolo scared the shit out of them.They based their whole team around him.Phillpots is apparently like Rod McQueen-you will know where to be 6 months away to the minute.They have also dragged in Phil White (souths A grade coach)to coach the forwards.But do they have enough depth??If injuries -then same as last year.
Mclean has been to a number of Melbourne Storm camps with Bowen & Wilkins and was a standout in their trial against Sunshine coast rep team.He should win GPS 100 again,But will Barker ever forgive him for last year against BGS when they lead by 15 with 10m to go and he didnt lay a finger on Marsden. Word is (new halfback-) Dempsey brought with him a league winger from Gold Coast who is putting plenty of pressure on him.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Lakehm is repeating at BGS. If you go back a couple of pages to Taipan's photos of the trial games you will see him. Looks like he ran out as captain. They've moved him to LHP this season so hopefully they have put a lot of time into his fitness. I can see him being one of the premier props in the GPS this season.

Onto BBC, is it true that they have actually imported an entire team? or is this just a rumour?

Rumour-7 new players in BBC number 1 team-all in grade 10 or 11.Next year is real aim.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
10 from BBC-Nathan Russell, Josh Bowen, Bronson Tauakipulu, Max Dempsey, Benroy Sala, Brad Saunders, Luke Peterson, Tiaan Wilkins, Darcy Swain, Dylan Leyland.(5 are new)
Wilkins is the new kid from NZ on traing bursary with the M/Storm in Grade 10!. Conrad Quick would be there(made it last year) but is injured again!!.But where the hell is Noel McLean? Maybe he has signed a real contract with the Storm and Phillpots said "see ya".
4 new in 2013 on this list- Wilkins (outside back/fullback-Kiwi), Swain (lock-Nth QLD), Leyland (lock-Gold Coast) and Dempsey (9-Gold Coast), the rest- Russell, Bowen, Tauakipulu, Sala and Peterson all 1st XV 2012.

FootyHead29

Stan Wickham (3)
18 players, YES 18 have been selected to trial tomorrow from TSS!

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I take it that new kids Sly and Lanksey didn't trial? Surprised not to see guys like Kemp and Laud in there.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Just back from NC - ACGS trial. Again numerous players out from both sides due to injury or GPS trials. Churchie very dominant early but structures fell away as game wore on and the trial squad got rotated. NC ended up about 6 tries to 3 winners and indicated their Sanix match experience and organisation made them better at this stage of the season. Churchie defence on their line kept NC out time and again in the first half. The ref generally played the right sort of trials style advantage and fairly sinbinned one from each side during the game just to remind players who was boss. Churchie #4 made several monstrous hits and he is apparently only Yr 11. His hit on NC #4 was as loud as I have heard in many seasons and I was 40m away from it. Churchie #10 had some good touches. NC #'s 13, 17 and 3 ran strongly all day. Churchie #15 made about 5 last line tackles in a composed performance. Still not much to go on here, maybe a slight favouritism to NC as both sides will improve with triallists funnelling back in over coming weeks and peripheral squad members returning to 2nds and 16As.

Status
Not open for further replies.