• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
...Ah because AIC schools don't need to do marketing they have plenty of potential students on waiting list who wish to get a great all-round education at a reasonable cost. AIC make great Men some of which become great footballers AIC makes them, GPS ....? many of them . So yeah your dead right there won't be any GPS boys sweet talked over to AIC, not the AIC game.

OK, XXXX,

I am very new to this but thanks for your advice. Honestly, after I wrote 'what I wrote, ' I was surprised to see it in the GPS category (I thought it was in the Schoolboys Qld section).

Either way all parents and kids need in our present day is an 'all-round' education as you have mentioned. I previously put forward in the AIC comp, 2013 'natter' how I played League and was amazed at how the 'Ruggers' could play piano and sing. Us 'Mungos' were amazed.

On a serious note: I pray/wish that all boys, regardless of their team in the trials, become great men and most importantly, CONTINUE PLAYING SPORT!

Now, I will get off this GPS discussion (and soap box) and go back to 'under-dog' AIC.

Cheers!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If I were to guess at a QLD 1 side.
1. Lakehm Aiono - GPS 2
2. Alex Mafi - GPS 1
3. Sam Clifton - GPS 1
4. Matthew Burke - AIC 2 - (Just like his name)
5. Jake Upfield - GPS 1
6. Jayden Rodwell - GPS 2
7. Brad Wilkin - AIC 1
8. Junior
Fakaosilea - AIC 1

9. James Tuttle - GPS 2
10. Mitch Third - GPS 1
11. Matt Marsden - GPS 1
12. Nili Fielea - GPS 2
13. Landon Hayes - GPS 1
14. Naryhl Bennet - AIC 1
15. Adrian Henley - AIC 1

8/15 ain't bad. Rodwell and Tuttle made the benches too.

Just quietly I'm backing Nudgee for the premiership again this year, TSS have a solid nucleus and a few star players but they are very over-rated IMO. Those two will fight it out for the title with TGS, ACGS and BGS battling for 3,4,5. IGS, GT and BSHS to round out the ladder.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
If the 2012 competition has taught us anything, it's not the team with the most representative players or the most imports that will win.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
If the 2012 competition has taught us anything, it's not the team with the most representative players or the most imports that will win.

Along those lines, in 2012 it was the team with the best play maker at 5/8. So, is it Third (TSS) or Mason (ACGS) who will make the difference? Or will anyone emerge during the season like last year?

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Dark Shark- Mason isn't injured and he has been trialling comepetently from what I have seen at 10 with his Churchie side after 2 years in Q16 - I know enough to know that those sorts of investments do not just get left alone. So where is he - Combined States?? Rugby League?? There's something fishy going on here with Churchie. On another point, you are certainly right about 2012 and the rep player influence on season outcomes. TSS would want to hope that their men get through injury free. No one has mentioned IGS who have quietly amassed a serious representative roll up. They are always hard to beat at home and can do some freaky things. I watched them play BSHS in their golden era and saw a game where BSHS were up something like 35-0 at halftime and only ended up winning 38-35 after a bizarre IGS comeback.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Dark Shark- Mason isn't injured and he has been trialling comepetently from what I have seen at 10 with his Churchie side after 2 years in Q16 - I know enough to know that those sorts of investments do not just get left alone. So where is he - Combined States?? Rugby League?? There's something fishy going on here with Churchie. On another point, you are certainly right about 2012 and the rep player influence on season outcomes. TSS would want to hope that their men get through injury free. No one has mentioned IGS who have quietly amassed a serious representative roll up. They are always hard to beat at home and can do some freaky things. I watched them play BSHS in their golden era and saw a game where BSHS were up something like 35-0 at halftime and only ended up winning 38-35 after a bizarre IGS comeback.

Good point Mr Expert/ Last year BBC were crowing about having 7 boys in rep teams and 2 in Australian schoolboys and they all got injured.2 ( Banks and the Captain(?) did not play a single GPS match and 2 (junior and Quick) played 2 matches and Kalell played 4 matches.Season was gone .Obviously TSS have more depth than that -but it will have an impact.

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looking at QLD's performance at the Australian Championships it seems to me that the "selectors" need to start picking sides based on current performance of players rather than reputation and the standing of the school!

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looking at QLD's performance at the Australian Championships it seems to me that the "selectors" need to start picking sides based on current performance of players rather than reputation and the standing of the school!

Wilreason that's a long bow to draw I think. Those games aren't thumpings and you might find that NSW might have a bit more talent pumping out than us, but nothing major. You'll also find that our lads haven't started the season yet and NSW well and truly have. Match fitness makes a huge difference.

That said, I'm prepared to say that the GPS Comp will be a lot tighter than many on this forum believe. And the potential winner has not narrowed to NC and TSS just yet.

I'd throw IGS, ACGS, BGS and BBC right into the mix.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Wilreason that's a long bow to draw I think. Those games aren't thumpings and you might find that NSW might have a bit more talent pumping out than us, but nothing major. You'll also find that our lads haven't started the season yet and NSW well and truly have. Match fitness makes a huge difference.

That said, I'm prepared to say that the GPS Comp will be a lot tighter than many on this forum believe. And the potential winner has not narrowed to NC and TSS just yet.

I'd throw IGS, ACGS, BGS and BBC right into the mix.

Almost agree with you on all of the above Eagles.

To add to that, tournament rugby can also throw up some wobblies from time to time. I also think it is difficult to pick on current performance when the GPS teams are still yet to play any competition matches.

Saying that, the selectors saw all the GPS boys play two round robin games at Tennyson one weekend. Then narrowed selection and watched a reduced number play two or three games the following weekend. Then two weeks later saw them play three games in the QLD trials. I think the selectors got to see plenty of performance and made selections based on that.

I also believe the GPS comp will be tight, but still reckon that TSS are a head and shoulders above the rest at the moment. But anything could happen. I hear that after the 13 or 14 TSS boys that went down to the Nationals and have basically been full on with rugby for the last two and a half weeks will then have to back up with a TSS Rugby tour to Sydney next week. There could be some fairly tired, jaded and injured TSS players for Round 1, let alone Round 9.

I am also not sure if BGS and BBC will be in the mix at the end of the season. From what I have seen of them in the last month or two they just look off the pace and no real spark igniting the team.

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
Almost agree with you on all of the above Eagles.

To add to that, tournament rugby can also throw up some wobblies from time to time. I also think it is difficult to pick on current performance when the GPS teams are still yet to play any competition matches.

Saying that, the selectors saw all the GPS boys play two round robin games at Tennyson one weekend. Then narrowed selection and watched a reduced number play two or three games the following weekend. Then two weeks later saw them play three games in the QLD trials. I think the selectors got to see plenty of performance and made selections based on that.

I also believe the GPS comp will be tight, but still reckon that TSS are a head and shoulders above the rest at the moment. But anything could happen. I hear that after the 13 or 14 TSS boys that went down to the Nationals and have basically been full on with rugby for the last two and a half weeks will then have to back up with a TSS Rugby tour to Sydney next week. There could be some fairly tired, jaded and injured TSS players for Round 1, let alone Round 9.

I am also not sure if BGS and BBC will be in the mix at the end of the season. From what I have seen of them in the last month or two they just look off the pace and no real spark igniting the team.

You might be right on BGS and BBC Shark.

I just thought with BGS knowing how to win again and with quality coaching they could pull some wins out. And BBC with some classy backs - they will threaten most teams at times and if they can build pressure and win a bit of ball who knows. Bowen-Bowyer is also one of the top 2 or 3 kickers in the comp.

As always the injury genie will dictate the outcome.....

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
You might be right on BGS and BBC Shark.

I just thought with BGS knowing how to win again and with quality coaching they could pull some wins out. And BBC with some classy backs - they will threaten most teams at times and if they can build pressure and win a bit of ball who knows. Bowen-Bowyer is also one of the top 2 or 3 kickers in the comp.

As always the injury genie will dictate the outcome...

I'd say BGS will play consistently but won't perform to last year's standards. Emtage and Gardner are phenomenal coaches and whilst some star players are returning, the loss of Greene, Birch, Blackhurst, Gilbert, Radford, Starr-Thomas etc. (the most underrated player in BGS' squad- if he hadn't had stayed on the field after being hit by Charles Tenakanai during last year's decider, I seriously doubt Grammar would have won the game) will likely prove too damaging for the Light Dark Blue to repeat their 2012 heroics.

The lineup this year will look vastly different from last year's side. Cox, Kemp, Marsden, Aiono, Laud, Forsyth, Halliday- all capped last year- are returning for 2013, with all except Dalton Cox (lock) playing in a different position. I guess this is a natural progression as players like Matt Marsden move from starring roles on the wing in their debut 1st XV seasons, undertaking more central roles in the team as they hit senior year. The same can be said for almost every aforementioned player.

One of the biggest losses will be Josh Birch. Whilst Greene and Cornelson, BGS's two Aus Schools players from last year's side, were undoubtedly lauded as the biggest names in the entire competition (almost unarguably the standout back and forward respectively from the premiership team with both playing central leadership roles as captain and vice-captain), Birch's presence in the #13 jersey shored up the defensive capability of the side. His line speed was phenomenal and his tackling technique dominated every single player he hit throughout the season. Not to mention his incredible ability to run lines, tearing apart opposition defences, often finding himself scoring after supporting Marsden and Greene as they charged down the field (and vice-versa). His absence, I think, has been really underestimated and hopefully Grammar can find a solution because I can't think of a player in the setup who could adequately fill his role.

chisolm

Bob McCowan (2)
With the national champs over for another year, attention turns to a new Qld 1 coach given the failings over 3 of the past 4 years. Wallace TSS is the obvious choice but a return to the most successful Qld coach of all time- Jones???? Sillier things have happened....

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
With the national champs over for another year, attention turns to a new Qld 1 coach given the failings over 3 of the past 4 years. Wallace TSS is the obvious choice but a return to the most successful Qld coach of all time- Jones???? Sillier things have happened..

Is it possible that NSW are just better than QLD?

willreason

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is it possible that NSW are just better than QLD?
I don't think so..given that selectors in both States have a very similar player base to draw from. Perhaps QLD can review their selection practices against those of NSW and see if changes need to be made there. Maybe it is time to review the coaching. Looking for excuses is not going to win games.

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't think so..given that selectors in both States have a very similar player base to draw from. Perhaps QLD can review their selection practices against those of NSW and see if changes need to be made there. Maybe it is time to review the coaching. Looking for excuses is not going to win games.

Interesting to see 3 AIC boys in the Australian Schools XV and only 1 QLD GPS! Could be a selection scheme matter.. Wonder if that has ever happened before?

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
I'd say BGS will play consistently but won't perform to last year's standards. Emtage and Gardner are phenomenal coaches and whilst some star players are returning, the loss of Greene, Birch, Blackhurst, Gilbert, Radford, Starr-Thomas etc. (the most underrated player in BGS' squad- if he hadn't had stayed on the field after being hit by Charles Tenakanai during last year's decider, I seriously doubt Grammar would have won the game) will likely prove too damaging for the Light Dark Blue to repeat their 2012 heroics.

The lineup this year will look vastly different from last year's side. Cox, Kemp, Marsden, Aiono, Laud, Forsyth, Halliday- all capped last year- are returning for 2013, with all except Dalton Cox (lock) playing in a different position. I guess this is a natural progression as players like Matt Marsden move from starring roles on the wing in their debut 1st XV seasons, undertaking more central roles in the team as they hit senior year. The same can be said for almost every aforementioned player.

One of the biggest losses will be Josh Birch. Whilst Greene and Cornelson, BGS's two Aus Schools players from last year's side, were undoubtedly lauded as the biggest names in the entire competition (almost unarguably the standout back and forward respectively from the premiership team with both playing central leadership roles as captain and vice-captain), Birch's presence in the #13 jersey shored up the defensive capability of the side. His line speed was phenomenal and his tackling technique dominated every single player he hit throughout the season. Not to mention his incredible ability to run lines, tearing apart opposition defences, often finding himself scoring after supporting Marsden and Greene as they charged down the field (and vice-versa). His absence, I think, has been really underestimated and hopefully Grammar can find a solution because I can't think of a player in the setup who could adequately fill his role.

Yes-BBC do have some exciting backs with Russell,quick and Bowen-Bowen all in Qld 1 or 2 and Wilkins trialing for NZ under 16 league over the holidays and Mclean(GPS 100m champ) on contract with the Storm.But if they have injuries like last year then we will see the ame result-good start then a fadeout.
Incidentally a good judge tells me Bowen was the best goalicker with at Nationals but has already signed with Broncos and will not be joining uncle Matt at Cowboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.