• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't think it is any coincidence that Queensland Schoolboys run of six national titles have been followed by two poor performances has come at the same time that Qld's GPS season has been moved to Term 3.

Expecting QLD players to perform at the level required that a National Championships having not played a genuine competition fixture is unrealistic. Trial matches just don't have the same intensity.

This of course also gives the AIC boys a distinct advantage and I am not surprised to see more AIC players were selected as a result.

Only the GPS Headmasters can change this. There attempt to contain the season to one term has clearly failed, with most GPS teams now training and playing over 3 terms.

Completely agreed, the movement of the QLD GPS season to post-National Championships and the associated trials has rendered selection largely a matter of reputation. My status as a Grammar supporter will undoubtedly see many regard this post as jingoistic bias, but a clear highlight of this can be seen with Tuttle's selection over someone like Fergus Halliday's at halfback in the GPS sides. While clearly a phenomenal talent, Tuttle's inexperience in the 9 jersey created a lot of problems last year during the U16's championships and if Halliday hadn't replaced him their eventual win would likely have never been secured. I'm not saying Halliday is a better player- I think Tuttle is a true standout- but I seriously doubt the selection would have been the same if the teams were named during the actual GPS QLD season.

Also Matt Marsden's injury is another example of the negative side of rescheduled seasons. Matt was arguably the premier winger in 2012 and unfortunately missed the opportunity to play for GPS 1 as named- he was subsequently the only player in GPS 1 not to make a QLD squad. Obviously injuries are often a result of poor luck, but had he had been match fit leading up to the trials maybe the same injury wouldn't have occurred.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
. My status as a Grammar supporter will undoubtedly see many regard this post as jingoistic bias, but a clear highlight of this can be seen with Tuttle's selection over someone like Fergus Halliday's at halfback in the GPS sides.

Swarley!, please leave out the big words so the rest of us can understand :)

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Rumour is Aiono and Laud will be playing in the centres for Round1.
Matt Marsden flyhalf
New kid Lachie Lanskey, is he injured? I doubt he would have been dropped from the firsts. Who will replace Laud in the second-row? Have the coaches decided to move Aiono back into the midfield?

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
My Premiership predictions 2013

1. TSS

2. NC

3.ACGS

4.IGS

5.BGS

6.GT

7.TGS

8.BBC

9.BSHS

Round 1 (July20)
TSS by 25

NC by 15

TGS by 9

ACGS by 20

My predictions are based on the asumption that IGS will suffer some injuries and depth will rear its ugly head:

TSS (if any team gets within 10 points I will be surprised)
NC
ACGS
BGS
IGS
BBC
Gt
TGS
BSHS

Round 1
TSS by plenty
NC by 15
BBC by 5
ACGS by 20

Early prediction for 2014.BBC have only 5 players in grade 12 in 1sts this year and rumour has it(through their relationship with Melbourne Storm) a new under 16 Australian Rugby league player starting today(cant play 1sts this year)-that Toowong boys will post a 3rd place in 2014.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
My predictions are based on the asumption that IGS will suffer some injuries and depth will rear its ugly head:

TSS (if any team gets within 10 points I will be surprised)
NC
ACGS
BGS
IGS
BBC
Gt
TGS
BSHS

Round 1
TSS by plenty
NC by 15
BBC by 5
ACGS by 20

Early prediction for 2014.BBC have only 5 players in grade 12 in 1sts this year and rumour has it(through their relationship with Melbourne Storm) a new under 16 Australian Rugby league player starting today(cant play 1sts this year)-that Toowong boys will post a 3rd place in 2014.
At least one of the current BBC Yr 12's definitely returning in 2014 (Peterson is Yr 11/12 this year) and two others are considering returning, all three would then be in their 3rd Yr of 1st XV.

G

Gregan

I think its downright dumb to rule ANY of these teams out of the competition.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I think its downright dumb to rule ANY of these teams out of the competition.
Agreed. Who at the beginning of last year legitimately thought BGS were going to win the premiership? The competition is so competitive now that anyone can win.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Agreed. Who at the beginning of last year legitimately thought BGS were going to win the premiership? The competition is so competitive now that anyone can win.
Agreed anyone can win - except Terrace, Ipswich, Toowoomba, BBC, BGS, Churchie and State High.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)

There was a lot of talk on these forums pre-season about BGS last year, they certainly weren't favourites but everyone knew they would be contenders (admittedly, I wrote them off and ate humble pie).

As for the second point that is complete rubbish. The competition is such that any more than one loss and you probably won't finish top of the table. There is very little room for error in any game, consistency is vital. Just ask any member of the Churchie XV from 2011.

I do get what you are saying though, on their day any team at any time can win. That is what makes this competition so interesting, that being said NOT every team can win the premiership this year, it takes years of planning and the right combination of players.

Just to further my point, it is rare that any school (other than probably TSS or NC) expects to win the title on a yearly basis. Recruiting, coaching and the draw play important roles in success, mearly having a team of superstars will not get a team over the line. ACGS had a big tilt at the title in 2011 followed by disappointment in 2012 when they had arguably the best squad on paper, TGS had the squad to challenge in 2012 but couldn't find any consistency despite bucket loads of individual talent. BGS saw the writting on the wall in 2011 to better the squad and repeat a certain key player, the result of which led them to success last year. GT and BSHS have been off the pace for years now. BBC have rated their chances but rarely looked a premiership winning side, their squad does look good on paper but they haven't installed any winning culture whatsoever and rarely get up for big games.

deansy

Bob McCowan (2)
Very well said Light, some schools Rugby programs are still a long way behind NC & TSS. Schools thinking they can Import to fix a short term problem will not perform long term. The development of players from an Under 10 to 13 age is where it begins, ensuring the basics are taught correctly.
IMO the importing in the GPS schools has completly got out of hand look at both BBC & ACEGS this year, players have turned up from everywhere.
The GPS headmasters have agreed on a code of behaviour but it seems to be ignored. Perhaps they need to review this again & ook at new kids brought in to play footbal at year 8 to 10 only.
That way they can settle into the school culture & enjoy being part of a GPS school.
Any fee assisted student starting in year 11 or 12, should not be eligible for 1st XV football.
Winning at all costs has become an issue.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Very well said Light, some schools Rugby programs are still a long way behind NC & TSS. Schools thinking they can Import to fix a short term problem will not perform long term. The development of players from an Under 10 to 13 age is where it begins, ensuring the basics are taught correctly.
IMO the importing in the GPS schools has completly got out of hand look at both BBC & ACEGS this year, players have turned up from everywhere.
The GPS headmasters have agreed on a code of behaviour but it seems to be ignored. Perhaps they need to review this again & ook at new kids brought in to play footbal at year 8 to 10 only.
That way they can settle into the school culture & enjoy being part of a GPS school.
Any fee assisted student starting in year 11 or 12, should not be eligible for 1st XV football.
Winning at all costs has become an issue.
I can only assume, Churchie, with it's great history of GPS rugby, has a good rugby program, as well as a strong scholarship program.
Also, I'd be very careful about accusing Phillpotts and Barker from BBC of not honoring the GPS agreement on scholarships (I'm assuming that's what you are referring to) or for relying on imports: they are doing a total makeover of the rugby program @ BBC from Yr 5 to Yr 12 and, what what I can see, are keeping well withing the spirit and letter of the GPS scholarship policies. BBC are retaining a high degree of integrity- as demonstrated by their suspensions - even expulsions of some of the biggest names in GPS rugby- at a huge cost to their rugby program.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think it is fair to say most of the GPS schools are willing to take huge risk in order to get positive results. For every 1 or 2 elite schoolboy rugby players they may import there will always be a handful who fail to assimilate into the school and end up having their scholarship revoked or simply not playing 1st XV rugby (true across all sports, not just rugby these days). These kids who follow this path are a failed investment on the schools behalf.

I'd like to think that academic performance is equally important to sport success, I respect the schools which have the balls to revoke a scholarship following bad academic results. We can't stop scholarships but we can limit numbers and ensure it is for the right reasons. It is the reason I was a fan of the Islander importation scheme at Churchie, the kids had numerous academic priorities and encouraged a community within the school which still exists today (Nudgee has something similar). Following school they would often pursue club rugby for a year or two before returning home, often educating and working in their community. To me this is the greatest contribution a well-off school can make.

SideKick - Agree regarding Philpots, the BBC program has had a huge overhaul in recent years. It does help encouraging rugby inclined students to BBC having the national schoolboy selector as head of the rugby program. He is highly respected and I don't question his integrity.

AlthoughI find it hard to believe that Barker shares that philosophy, I know as Head Coach at ACGS he would ensure students were at training and games regardless of their academic results, even so far as pulling kids out of detention to attend training. Maybe things have changed.

P.S: sorry mods for digressing and discussing the 'i' word. Let's get back to rugby talk!

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I think it is fair to say most of the GPS schools are willing to take huge risk in order to get positive results. For every 1 or 2 elite schoolboy rugby players they may import there will always be a handful who fail to assimilate into the school and end up having their scholarship revoked or simply not playing 1st XV rugby (true across all sports, not just rugby these days). These kids who follow this path are a failed investment on the schools behalf.

I'd like to think that academic performance is equally important to sport success, I respect the schools which have the balls to revoke a scholarship following bad academic results. We can't stop scholarships but we can limit numbers and ensure it is for the right reasons. It is the reason I was a fan of the Islander importation scheme at Churchie, the kids had numerous academic priorities and encouraged a community within the school which still exists today (Nudgee has something similar). Following school they would often pursue club rugby for a year or two before returning home, often educating and working in their community. To me this is the greatest contribution a well-off school can make.

SideKick - Agree regarding Philpots, the BBC program has had a huge overhaul in recent years. It does help encouraging rugby inclined students to BBC having the national schoolboy selector as head of the rugby program. He is highly respected and I don't question his integrity.

AlthoughI find it hard to believe that Barker shares that philosophy, I know as Head Coach at ACGS he would ensure students were at training and games regardless of their academic results, even so far as pulling kids out of detention to attend training. Maybe things have changed.

P.S: sorry mods for digressing and discussing the 'i' word. Let's get back to rugby talk!
Some schools do it better than others though. GT, TGS and BGS don't give out too many scholarships, and almost every new kid that arrives at the school ends up playing first XV when they are in Year 12. I don't like Nudgee's system. They bring in kids in year 8 and 9, but by year 12 they are no long bigger than others and end up being very good 2nd XV players. on top of this, they will also bring in players in Year 11 as well.

Not a fan of this system.
I think IGS will be the darkhorses again this year; they have a really good team with a few very key returning players.

Round 1 Predictions
TSS V GT- TSS by 15
BGS V NC- NC by 8
ACGS V BSHS- Churchie by 20 (still not convinced about State High)
TGS V BBC- TGS by 10 (Toowoomba at home is always tough)

footylegend101

Frank Row (1)
GPS Round 1 Preview:

TSS to walk over GT by 35
NC by no more than 10 over BGS
TGS by 7 over BBC out west
ACGS in a close one against BSHS by 7

A few selections by Nudgee have raised the eyebrow a bit, but the experienced players from last year should hold out a Sam Greene-less Grammar. Mafi will be buoyed by his Australian call up and will have a huge impact. He and Tuttle the difference.

Black234

Stan Wickham (3)
BSHS line up:

1. Addi Isaac
2. Liki Naupoto
3. Enoka Kalapu
4. Alastair Berking
5. Tuaina Tualima
6. Matt f'sautia
7. Josh Wood
8. Ben Petaia
9. Isaac Douglas
10. Jake Strachan
11. Serge Panochini
12. Antonio Asiata
13. Antoine Pereira
14. Tyrone Southorn
15. Jim Henjak

Churchie by 15+

guildford

Peter Burge (5)
GPS Round 1 Preview:

TSS to walk over GT by 35
NC by no more than 10 over BGS
TGS by 7 over BBC out west
ACGS in a close one against BSHS by 7

A few selections by Nudgee have raised the eyebrow a bit, but the experienced players from last year should hold out a Sam Greene-less Grammar. Mafi will be buoyed by his Australian call up and will have a huge impact. He and Tuttle the difference.
Agree with these results except a possible upset of the round could be BSHS over Churchie. I understand Captain of Rugby Macmillan out for the season. Anyone confirm this

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
At least one of the current BBC Yr 12's definitely returning in 2014 (Peterson is Yr 11/12 this year) and two others are considering returning, all three would then be in their 3rd Yr of 1st XV.

I did not know that.it seems the Melbourne Storm -BBC connection is getting stronger each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.