• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Very disappointing to see Grammar's fall from grace this year. They've descended quickly from a side that looked like contenders with a narrow, hard-fought loss against Nudgee in the 2012 Grand Final rematch, to a side who look to be fighting it out for this year's wooden spoon. Whilst the loss of Greene, Birch, Cornelson, Blackhurst et al. was always going to hurt the Light Dark Blue, I think the biggest loss is that of captain Patrick Morrey (#7). A crowd favourite, his knee injury against State High (a game in which he broke the school record for positive match involvements- tallying an astonishing 55) has had disastrous repercussions for the team. The loss of the senior team leader is damaging enough without losing the biggest workhorse and the best pilferer in the school.

New face Lachie Lanskey (#13), Stuart McReight (#3), Patrick Dooley (#6/#8), Tom Spencer (#1) and Dalton Cox (#4) have been the team's strongest players on a consistent basis. Flashes of brilliance have also been seen from Matt Marsden, Dan Forsyth, Trey Kemp and Lakehm Aiono- all of whom featured in the 2012 premiership team and yet this year have been plagued by injuries and absences, with all having already missed one or more matches. It's a real shame to see a squad with so much promise and potential fall so swiftly.

Predicting wholesale changes for next week's clash against BBC. I'm praying we see Matt Marsden moved closer to the centre of the action ASAP. Without a player like Sam Greene to throw a 30m cut-out ball to his wing, or a player like Josh Birch to make a dicing line-break to draw defenders, Matt has been left stranded on the flank, leaving the most natural talent in the school almost completely squandered.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
Thankgoodness Swarley, for a moment there I thought I was on the "GT vs BBC onfield and offield banter" page! The fantatic light-dark-blue supporters will now know how BBC felt last year, loosing key players that ultimately depleted their structure and confidence.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Is there a lack of depth at Grammar. :eek:

Surely, Emtage/Gardner have a back up plan for expected injuries. :(

Also, wholesale changes do not build combinations and team unity.

Pick the right person for each position and stick to it for the whole season.

Start planning for 2014 because this year has been a 'balls up' :cool:

Predict losses to BBC, ACGS, TSS and GT in the following weeks.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Light I swear you have a man-crush on this kid

Now that is interesting. Yes, I have mentioned him a few times in posts related to TSS but that was the first time I have actually referred to him in an appraisal. I rarely post about individual performances or players so perhaps you could show me to wear your evidence is?

Furthermore, I'd like to think I am objective in my posts and other than the occasional Churchie bias (yes, I am an old boy), I tend to judge players on their abilities from my perspective. Maybe I have no better idea than the next person but I am more than welcome to express my opinion and the sentiment that Third is a good player is echoed throughout Australia, hence his representative selection.

It's about time you stopped playing the man, you are beginning to sound like a troll.

Cheers for the support Big Game. Often these forums feel like a constant uphill battle, the problem is that the trolls will never be satisfied and will take any opportunity to bag you. Been around here long enough to understand it and accept it for what it is. Funnily enough, I was one of the more vocal GT supporters during their dark years at the bottom of the ladder. Although they may be a rival of my beloved Churchie, I have GT family members and friends and they will always be a team I like to watch succeed.

My remark that GT has a weak rugby program was purely in reference to the last few seasons, particularly 2011 and '12. It was very harsh, but lets face it they were a long way off being competitive. Fortunately things are looking ALOT better now.

I'd like to see them get up over NC this weekend coming but I'm not sure it will happen just yet.

jmc07

Frank Row (1)
Great win by Downlands at TGS on Saturday in the annual grudge match. A massive crowd, as usual, saw captain and man of the match, John Moloney (Number 7) lead his boys to a 38 to 33 win to secure the O'Callaghan Cup.

Downlands were up 38 to 12, but dropped their intensity a little too early to allow TGS to score a few late tries and make the result look a little more respectable.

Downlands Number 8 (Damien Vagg), Number 9 (Will Jackson) and Number 10 (Izzy Tittor) were also outstanding.

2 tries to John Moloney and 1 each to Damien Vagg, Andrew Gough, Teina Cameron and Izzy Tittor. 4 conversions to Will Jackson.

The match showed that having more representative players in your team does not necessarily ensure a win. John Moloney said that his team were all great mates who loved playing for each other and it showed on the field.

This was the first time that any of the Downlands players had beaten TGS - they had lost their matches from Grades 8 to 11, but the hard work paid off for the one that counted the most.

It also showed that the excellent displays by Downlands against teams like Terrace were not a fluke. The decision not to play Downlands First XV by some schools this year I think is a poor reflection on those schools. I hope my former school (Churchie), BBC and BSHS do the right thing by Downlands in the next few weeks. If time permits, I would love to watch them in action again.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I don't think it is a poor reflection on other schools that they don't play their first choice teams against Downlands at all, nor it is a mark of disrespect. The fact is that Downlands are not part of the GPS competition.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Great win by Downlands at TGS on Saturday in the annual grudge match. A massive crowd, as usual, saw captain and man of the match, John Moloney (Number 7) lead his boys to a 38 to 33 win to secure the O'Callaghan Cup.

Downlands were up 38 to 12, but dropped their intensity a little too early to allow TGS to score a few late tries and make the result look a little more respectable.

Downlands Number 8 (Damien Vagg), Number 9 (Will Jackson) and Number 10 (Izzy Tittor) were also outstanding.

2 tries to John Moloney and 1 each to Damien Vagg, Andrew Gough, Teina Cameron and Izzy Tittor. 4 conversions to Will Jackson.

The match showed that having more representative players in your team does not necessarily ensure a win. John Moloney said that his team were all great mates who loved playing for each other and it showed on the field.

This was the first time that any of the Downlands players had beaten TGS - they had lost their matches from Grades 8 to 11, but the hard work paid off for the one that counted the most.

It also showed that the excellent displays by Downlands against teams like Terrace were not a fluke. The decision not to play Downlands First XV by some schools this year I think is a poor reflection on those schools. I hope my former school (Churchie), BBC and BSHS do the right thing by Downlands in the next few weeks. If time permits, I would love to watch them in action again.
The downlands game should be a highlight of the GPS calendar like it used to be. Nothing better than a trip up the range too. Id love to hear some current downlands students voice their opinions on this.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Now that is interesting. Yes, I have mentioned him a few times in posts related to TSS but that was the first time I have actually referred to him in an appraisal. I rarely post about individual performances or players so perhaps you could show me to wear your evidence is?

Furthermore, I'd like to think I am objective in my posts and other than the occasional Churchie bias (yes, I am an old boy), I tend to judge players on their abilities from my perspective. Maybe I have no better idea than the next person but I am more than welcome to express my opinion and the sentiment that Third is a good player is echoed throughout Australia, hence his representative selection.

It's about time you stopped playing the man, you are beginning to sound like a troll.

Cheers for the support Big Game. Often these forums feel like a constant uphill battle, the problem is that the trolls will never be satisfied and will take any opportunity to bag you. Been around here long enough to understand it and accept it for what it is. Funnily enough, I was one of the more vocal GT supporters during their dark years at the bottom of the ladder. Although they may be a rival of my beloved Churchie, I have GT family members and friends and they will always be a team I like to watch succeed.

My remark that GT has a weak rugby program was purely in reference to the last few seasons, particularly 2011 and '12. It was very harsh, but lets face it they were a long way off being competitive. Fortunately things are looking ALOT better now.

I'd like to see them get up over NC this weekend coming but I'm not sure it will happen just yet.
I agree with ya there light, they were dark days in 2011 and 2012. I know you have contacts around the place, do you know if a live stream of the terrace nudgee game is possible and others gps games in general? I tried to watch acgs TSS last week but there were technical issues. I live out in the bush and can't travel every weekend

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The downlands game should be a highlight of the GPS calendar like it used to be. Nothing better than a trip up the range too. Id love to hear some current downlands students voice their opinions on this.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to Downlands, but I don't recall the Downlands fixture as being a highlight on the GPS calender.
I am sure the opinions of current Downlands students will be fairly predictable. The opinions of GPS students may differ somewhat.

Johnny13

Peter Burge (5)
TSS must be shattered after leading 19 nil at half time. Was such an entertaining game. So many great performances from both teams. Every game I have watch this year has never been disappointing. Schoolboy rugby at its best.

RunDMC

Frank Row (1)
Wonder if the 14a terrace parents will be yelling as loud this weekend when they play Nudgee on Ross. Is it true Nudgee gave them a lesson in the trials earlier this year with a new look team. ??? What's happened to Nudgee 15a's . They are very average this year. Didn't they win easy last year ?? Doesn't look like they have come on as players at all. I have watched the BBC 15a's the last couple of weeks and they are very good and the improvement in the team each week. as some good imports in recent weeks have made a huge difference.. Can see many of these players move straight to firsts next year.

NC 14A's have only got 2 new players this year but are very well coached and drilled as you would expect. A lot of last years 13A's are not in the A's this year. It is indeed correct that they gave GT a good touch up at Tennyson in the trials by about 30 points or so. GT scored their only points right on the bell. They play to a great structure and their set piece is excellent. Expect a big game this week though with GT coming off a loss. NC have IGS away and TGS at home to finish after this week.

15A's are struggling at the moment with a few injuries and the fact that they are not the biggest in the comp anymore which is what they relied upon to a great extent.

NCGPSRUGBY2012

Bob McCowan (2)
GT did improve remarkably last year losing 3 games within 5points and almost beating TSS in the final round (pass to open player to score 5m out was intercepted on full time) The NC game was also very close until half time and Jack Heenans injury. If I recall no more than a 10 point lead at half time but then after the break NC blew them away. Also beating BBC
I think these results may suggest an improvement from losing every game by 50+ the previous year. Also disagree with your prediction usually terrace are very competitive in the first half it's the end of the game that lets them down. I still believe GT are definitely coming in as the underdogs and are not even close to favorites
From what I recall Jack Heenan's injury (the outside right?) happened quite early on in the game and I can assure you the lead was greater the 10 at half time. I completely agree with you though in that GT has improved since 2011, I was simply referring to the countless posters last year saying GT were a title chance etc. Very much looking forward to this contest, especially watching GT's #7 who I remember watching last year and their #13 whom I have read many great reports about.

TSSMUM

Frank Row (1)
Cant wait for this weekends big game between Terrace and Nudgee. its going to be a rippa game and you can expect a bumper crowd. Huge amount of old boys from both schools.

The key match ups are going to be:

#12 for both teams are talked up to be very good players, but i believe that the NC #12 will have a good game as he has been in great form and should break most of his first up tackles attempted by GT #12. The GT #12 will have to find an extra gear has i believe that he isnt the fastest in the comp. He might even be the slowest.

#5 for nudgee seems to be a big bloke and it wouldnt suprise me if he made some very good runs. The Terrace #5 is one of the smallest in the comp, but week after week manages to make great runs even with that pathetic hair cut.

The battle of the Macca's (GT #7, NC #8) should be a beaty to watch. The NC #8 is seen as a good player and over the last few weeks has show his quality as an QLD 1 rep. The terrace #7 has in some people eyes been having some great games over the last 3 weeks, but i believe that he is thriving of the great wiork of the GT #4 And #6. He needs to work on his fitness and it has seen that he has put on some fat during the of season. It will be hard to see him having a great impact during this weekends game.

#9 is going to be a key position and i believe that GT #9 is running in with some great form, but his running game is very weak and it would be the best for the team if he just passed it to someone who can run it and the NC #9 just needs to get the ball to NC #10 as quick as he can.

good luck top both teams this weekend and i will be posting my tips later in the week. cya then

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Thankgoodness Swarley, for a moment there I thought I was on the "GT vs BBC onfield and offield banter" page! The fantatic light-dark-blue supporters will now know how BBC felt last year, loosing key players that ultimately depleted their structure and confidence.

Shit don't mention BBC & 2012.I remember watching the GT game last year when the 2nds halfback was playing at number 7 for BBC and 2 Aussie schoolboys (junior & Kallel) and all 3 Qld reps ( Hood,Banks and Conrad Quick) were all out injured.
I think you will find with the injury to Russell on Saturday that BBC will be missing him,Bronson & Wilkins again on Saturday.They really missed the latter 2 against GT

Also I hear that BBC undefeated 15A side will have up to 6 away on Saturday on rep duties. How is BGS 15A team going?

OfInterest

Frank Row (1)
Thanks snake . That opens up that comp.. Thought TSS were unbeatable from early round results . Good effort from NC . Especially down there. Who is coaching that side ?? Still that old Aussie schools coach from years back .???
I think everyone thought TSS 16As were unbeatable, but Nudgee prevailed, had some luck on their side, but then again made a bit of their own luck. NC 16As have benefited from getting key players back into the side since the BGS loss and close win against BBC. Players have returned either from injury or from the First XV. The FiveEight returned from an injury having missed the first 2 games and played against Churchie, TSS and State High, makes a significant difference to the teams pattern and ability to get over the ad line consistently. The centre partnerhsip has firmed up since the first 2 games and the back row has delivered more grunt. The old Aussie schools coach is in charge of the 15As with the 16As are being coached by one of the longer term Nudgee teachers (knows his stuff by looks).

Status
Not open for further replies.