• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
I didn't see the game, but credit to Nudgee for a clinical win to put one hand on the cup.
It's now a fight for second.
GT will have their work cut out against Churchie this weekend (The Range Rover/Ralph Lauren set aren't happy) and BBC should roll Ippy.
The Spray Tans (tks MondayEx that's gonna stick) will thump Grammar.
Leaving it a fight for second in the last round - BBC Vs TSS. And that's probably fair and should be a cracker.

GT are in with a chance this Saturday.
It depends if Mack Mason returnsas flyhalf.
Last week's standin flyhalf Max Quigley failed to ignite their
awesome backline.
Terrace have a formidable pack.
Expect a close match. ACGS by 3

TSS to dominate BGS. Expect high score

NC will be too powerfull for TGS.

BBC in a canter against IGS.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Terrace are really going to have to step up again to win against ACGS this weekend. The way they played against BSHS will be punished by a side like churchie. However you have to give some props to the state high boys in particular their #10 I thought played quite well. They seem to be an inconsistent side but are capable of stepping up when they think they can win it.
On another note remember when everyone was talking about BGS making a podium finish? Lol

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Terrace are really going to have to step up again to win against ACGS this weekend. The way they played against BSHS will be punished by a side like churchie. However you have to give some props to the state high boys in particular their #10 I thought played quite well. They seem to be an inconsistent side but are capable of stepping up when they think they can win it.
On another note remember when everyone was talking about BGS making a podium finish? Lol

My Premiership predictions (before season started)

1. TSS (premiership favourites)

2. NC (contender)

3. BBC (inconsistant)

4. ACGS (better than 2012)

5. GT (surprise)

6. BSHS (big improvers)

7. BGS ( injuries, no depth)

8. IGS (below expectations)

9. TGS (disappointing)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Big Brother(Nudgee) v Little Brother(Terrace).

The rivalry brings out the best in both schools.

Imagine, if they combined..awesome First XV :cool:

I think Terrace is the big brother in years. Nudgee the big brother in premierships obviously. Terrace still churn out more wallabies though.

Great rivalry - what schoolboy rugby is actually about.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
I think Terrace is the big brother in years. Nudgee the big brother in premierships obviously. Terrace still churn out more wallabies though.

Great rivalry - what schoolboy rugby is actually about.

Terrace have 32 Wallabies as of 2012.

Does anyone know how many Wallabies from Nudgee College.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Terrace have 32 Wallabies as of 2012.

Does anyone know how many Wallabies from Nudgee College.

Never mind, found it Google search.
25 Nudgee Wallabies.
Forgot to add Joseph Tomane and Will Chambers.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
GPS Wallabies Count
Terrace: 32
Brisbane Grammar: 28
Nudgee College: 25 (according to Taipan)
Anglican Church Grammar School: 15
Brisbane State High School: 15
The Southport School: 13
Toowoomba Grammar: 10
Brisbane Boys College: 9
Ipswich Grammar School: 5

Downlands College: 8 (Produced Timmy Horan!)
AIC- Marist College Ashgrove: 19

* Players I believe that have not been included in the count include Luke Morahan(TSS), Liam Gill(GT), Scott Higginbotham (TSS), James Hanson (GT), Rob Simmons (TSS), James Slipper (TSS), Ben Tapuai (TSS) + others?

GPS Queensland Reds Count
Brisbane Grammar: 108
Gregory Terrace: 96
Anglican Church Grammar School: 76 (edited)
Nudgee College: 59
Toowoomba Grammar: 40
Brisbane State High School: 34
The Southport School: 35
Brisbane Boys College: 20
Ipswich Grammar: 18

Downlands College: 17
AIC- Marist College Ashgrove: 43

Again, players from 2011 onwards have not been compensated for. Not entirely accurate but I Hope this gives a good indication nonetheless.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
GPS Wallabies Count
Terrace: 32
Brisbane Grammar: 28
Nudgee College: 25 (according to Taipan)
Anglican Church Grammar School: 15
Brisbane State High School: 15
The Southport School: 13
Toowoomba Grammar: 10
Brisbane Boys College: 9
Ipswich Grammar School: 5

Downlands College: 8 (Produced Timmy Horan!)
AIC- Marist College Ashgrove: 19

* Players I believe that have not been included in the count include Luke Morahan(TSS), Liam Gill(GT), Scott Higginbotham (TSS), James Hanson (GT), Rob Simmons (TSS), James Slipper (TSS), Ben Tapuai (TSS) + others?

GPS Queensland Reds Count
Brisbane Grammar: 108
Gregory Terrace: 96
Anglican Church Grammar School: 76 (edited)
Nudgee College: 59
Toowoomba Grammar: 40
Brisbane State High School: 34
The Southport School: 35
Brisbane Boys College: 20
Ipswich Grammar: 18

Downlands College: 17
AIC- Marist College Ashgrove: 43

Again, players from 2011 onwards have not been compensated for. Not entirely accurate but I Hope this gives a good indication nonetheless.

Did you include Ben Lucas (GT) - Qld Reds

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)
This topic of number of wallabies produced comes up every year lol. Fuelling the egos. Id argue that no. Australian schoolboys produced is more testament to the school as opposed to wallabies and reds who are produced at club level

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
Did you include Ben Lucas (GT) - Qld Reds
Sure did, would have liked to have included his brother Matt, but thats another story.

This topic of number of wallabies produced comes up every year lol. Fuelling the egos. Id argue that no. Australian schoolboys produced is more testament to the school as opposed to wallabies and reds who are produced at club level

No doubt, just thought it would be interesting, keeping in mind that schoolboy rugby is the backbone for club level (with the exception of Higginbotham). Nudgee, State High and TSS are the top three for Australian schoolboys.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Looks to be a strong year for ACGS next year, 8 of those 15 are U16.

Josh Webb
Jeremy Gimpel
Angus Scott-Young
Harry Nucifora
Max Quigley
Hugo Doessel
Izaia Perese
Ben Ogilve

Every year we hear this, but they keep failing
to live up to expectations. eg 2012

You can build a team full of Champion players, but not
be a Champion team.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)

be a Champion team.
I think they will be good next year. Where schools fail (and i think this is what happened to Churchie last year), is that they bring in too many players and it stuffs up team chemistry for their senior year. The crux of those players have been there since year 8 or earlier.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)

be a Champion team.

Yeah, it is a fine line.

2011 was a big recruitment mistake and there were far too many blokes who were new to the side. It was obvious as soon as Tanuvasa went down in the Nudgee game that their season was over.

As Knockers noted above, a handful of those boys have been there since Grade 8 so they should be pretty well used to each other.

Add Liam Wright and Kalyn Ponga and you have a pretty solid XV. I think depth will be an issue, as too will the front row. Locks and back three are very solid.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah, it is a fine line.

2011 was a big recruitment mistake and there were far too many blokes who were new to the side. It was obvious as soon as Tanuvasa went down in the Nudgee game that their season was over.

As Knockers noted above, a handful of those boys have been there since Grade 8 so they should be pretty well used to each other.

Add Liam Wright and Kalyn Ponga and you have a pretty solid XV. I think depth will be an issue, as too will the front row. Locks and back three are very solid.

..........plus add J Gilmore as coach to the mix, overall I think he's done quite well with the mix of resources he's had this year (his first) at ACGS and it's likely he'll do even better next year when his XV will have a stronger base of forwards coupled with a very solid back line in the making.

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)

It shows how tough this comp is. I said a few weeks ago the Grammar Rugby support group are getting T-Shirts printed with "2013 Penthouse to the Outhouse" on them.

it was said in jest, but it shows if you have one year where you struggle with depth in a few key positions - then you end up with the spoon in your drawer.

They have some good players this year and will be better next year with many of them returning in 2014.

The shirts next year might be "2014 Outhouse to the Penthouse".

Nudgee, BBC, TSS, ACGS and GT will be in the way though...

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeah, it is a fine line.

In 2011 Churchie came second and were the only ones to defeat Premiers NC. I think you meant 2012. Quigley (9) and Tanuvasa (12) were the only new ones in that year. Quigley was Q1 9 and Tanuvasa was a Q2 12 before busting his knee. 2012 Churchie forwards punched well above their weight but lacked punch in the backs and the overall team seemed to believe too much of its own press before the season actually started. You can bet there will be some new faces for 2014 despite the solid base they have built in 2013. The x factor is how this is accepted in the team. The question will be whether they can deal with the weight of expectation and the press they'll get......the 2012 side couldn't, and TSS this year couldn't, a lot can happen in that weird off season, especially after half the team has "been there, done that" - or think they have and they are all only 17-18 years old. Bring on the divisive love struck Yoko Ono style girlfriend somewhere and watch a carefully crafted plan fall apart at the seams. Schoolboy footy - dontcha love it?
On another note, I think Sea Eagles or RedBlack mentioned the fall from grace of BGS this year. I saw them play Churchie on the weekend and thought even with a horror injury toll in the match, they kept trying and certainly did not lie down. One try was disallowed touch in goal and that could have made things VERY interesting with a strong Northgate wind behind them. Credit where it is due.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
It shows how tough this comp is. I said a few weeks ago the Grammar Rugby support group are getting T-Shirts printed with "2013 Penthouse to the Outhouse" on them.

it was said in jest, but it shows if you have one year where you struggle with depth in a few key positions - then you end up with the spoon in your drawer.

They have some good players this year and will be better next year with many of them returning in 2014.

The shirts next year might be "2014 Outhouse to the Penthouse".

Nudgee, BBC, TSS, ACGS and GT will be in the way though.

I'm not so sure. Returning in 2014 will be Lachlan Lanskey, Tom Sly, Patrick Dooley from the starting line up, with fringe players Eddie McCorley, Matt Forsyth, Nyoah Rosmarin and Harry Egan also returning. Not a whole lot of experience there.

1. No depth at prop. Likely to see two new students filling the front row spots next year.
2. Jack Childs- 16As player and member of the QLD 16 extended training squad. No real competition.
3. See above.
4. Not too sure. No real standouts.
5. Harry Egan- played against BSHS with an extremely low involvement rate. Has featured sporadically from the bench with no notable impact.
6. No idea.
7. Patty Dooley- one of the best forwards for Grammar this year. Consistently high positive involvement rate. Tackles, turnovers, counter-rucks complete with fine ball skills. A front-runner for the captaincy next year.
8. No idea.
9. Candidates include Campbell Halliday (15A) and Ben Knight (2nd XV). No real standouts. Both players have performed solidly this season and will likely fight it out for the scrumhalf position next year.
10. Nyoah Rosmarin- played 10 minutes against ACGS before being sent to hospital for shoulder surgery. This follows a shoulder reconstruction from last year. Hopefully this one works out as Nyoah is a real talent.
11. Eddie McCorley- QLD White U16 in 2013. Started against BSHS with Matt Marsden rested, not too many involvements (as per the game plan) but no mistakes. Very strong, very quick. Could be a real weapon next year.
12. No idea. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new face in the 12 jersey next year.
13. Lachlan Lanskey- arguably the standout back in this year's 1st XV. An admirable replacement for Josh Birch.
14. Matt Forsyth
15. Tom Sly- shaky season so far. Looks the goods with the ball in hands but looks nervous and out of place without it. Hopefully the experience of 2013 and a strong off-season aid the confidence and defense problems

Status
Not open for further replies.