• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
Sorry King, have to disagree. While I'm not naive enough to ignore that it is all about winning for the schools nowadays, I think it is to the detriment to the game as a whole that boys who have no interest in the game prior to and after their time at the school are brought in to bolster team lists. League has plenty of avenues to develop their own talent. It is argued that GPS is the springboard to higher careers in Union, and to have that option blocked by a kid who will be gone tomorrow is patently unfair. It's the kids who have slogged their way through the (struggling) club system and who will be the ones who are back at colts, keeping the clubs alive in the future, signing up their kids as juniors etc developing the next crop of potential 1st XVers who should be getting the support. No kid who ends up in the seconds because some leaguey came and went that year is going to be happy about it and be bragging about it to his mates. It will be something that will hurt for the rest of his life.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
All games at Ballymore. 3 x pools. Games played on Ballymore 1, 2 & 3 fields starting at 11am Saturday

Will be interesting to see if all the school's put their strongest teams on the pitch for the GPS Trials or if they use it as a way of trialing players.
I would think that the QLD teams selectors would have a rough idea of who they would like to select and won't base their selections on two games that last for 35min each?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Sorry King, have to disagree. While I'm not naive enough to ignore that it is all about winning for the schools nowadays, I think it is to the detriment to the game as a whole that boys who have no interest in the game prior to and after their time at the school are brought in to bolster team lists. League has plenty of avenues to develop their own talent. It is argued that GPS is the springboard to higher careers in Union, and to have that option blocked by a kid who will be gone tomorrow is patently unfair. It's the kids who have slogged their way through the (struggling) club system and who will be the ones who are back at colts, keeping the clubs alive in the future, signing up their kids as juniors etc developing the next crop of potential 1st XVers who should be getting the support. No kid who ends up in the seconds because some leaguey came and went that year is going to be happy about it and be bragging about it to his mates. It will be something that will hurt for the rest of his life.

I've just been contacted on Facebook by a First XV player with a rugby league background who has taken great offence to your post.

I disagree it is a detriment to the game by having boys who've never had the opportunity to experience Heaven's Game play First XV rugby. Campbell Magnay last year was a league boy through and through, but was selected to the Australian A Schoolboys and changed his mind having experienced Rugby, and is currently playing Premier Colts for GPS.

The point you make about kids "having their pathways blocked by a kid who will be gone tomorrow" is not quite accurate. School's do not write off tens of thousands of dollars each year to "replace", for lack of a better word, paying students that could contribute meaningfully to the First XV (except for maybe one or two). The players that are imported are done so because the existing talent just isn't there. The kids they are replacing are not having their options blocked, because they wouldn't have been selected in the Queensland Schoolboys to start with.

To play First XV Rugby in the GPS, you have to earn it. You don't get put in the team because you were the starting flyhalf for the 13a's through to 16a's, at least not anymore. You earn your spot by being able to compete in one of the elite schoolboy rugby competitions in the world. To play First XV is an absolute honour, and that point is driven home hard to those boys fortunate enough to possess the skills and talent to play in it. The boys who play Seconds train with the Firsts, and from my first hand experience form tight bonds and close friendships with those boys who go on to elite First XV competition.

To suggest that the players "denied their pathway" won't sign up for colts, and will deny their children rugby because they weren't good enough to play First XV Rugby for their school is ludicrous. If they wanted to play First XV Rugby and couldn't, they will have joined a club and proven that they deserved it. Besides, being able to train against players like Josh Bowen, Campbell Magnay, and Izaia Perese is only going to make those players around them even better for the experience, and help them to excel when they do play Colts.

I refuse to believe that boys will hold grudges "for the rest of their lives" against their mates for the crime of being better footy players than they are. When those mates are playing for Queensland and Australia, I guarantee you the seconds players will wish them the very best, all the while regaling their work colleagues about that one time they stepped a Queensland Origin player at school training.

If this comes across as particularly harsh I apologise, I've got no issues with you personally or your views, I'm just putting my opinions out there.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
King

You are right. every GPS school has league boys in the system.
What concerns me is that many of these boys do not seem to understand/ take advantage of the opportunities that a GPS school offers.Rather their (or probably their parents)plans A,B & C are whether they can make it in league.They are now being offered $ to sign contracts at 15.There are some boys in NRL under 20 on >$100,000 contracts.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
King

Footnote.The league boys in the GPS system I have met are,as you say-fantastic boys.Usually from the bush-they attend as boarders and have a great work ethic.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
My crack at GPS1 and 2

Gavin Luka
Alex Mafi
James McColl
Angus Scott-Young
Dylan Leyland
Tuaina Tualima
PJ van den Burg
Reece Hewat
Eli Pilz
Alex Horan
Fred Dorrough
Calvin Pritchard
Izaia Perese
Joey Fittock
Kalyn Ponga

GPS2

Toby Greenup
Kyle Leofa
Luke Peterson
Jeremy Gimpel
George Cox
Kareem Tuuga
Connor Moroney
Ben Gunter
Harry Nucifora
Mack Mason
Dean Bender
Eddie McCorley
Syd Smith
Tyrone Southorn
Rob Lane/ Jayden Ngamu (never seen either of these two play, but I assume they're the next best)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
BGS Headmaster on the new age changes:

"As we move into the rugby season I wish to remind all BGS parents that the school is bound by GPS guidelines regarding age
restrictions...ensure that all boys are
playing in the correct age group. We recognise that the regulations may cause some disruptions but we will work with all families
to fulfil our obligation to the GPS competition and our duty of care to all players. Please understand that there are no exceptions to these rules. BGS, like all GPS schools, is bound by these parameters. These rules
have been implemented to create safe playing environments."

All schools should embrace this approach....

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
My crack at GPS1 and 2

Gavin Luka
Alex Mafi
James McColl
Angus Scott-Young
Darcy Leyland
Tuaina Tualima
PJ van den Burg
Reece Hewat
Eli Pilz
Alex Horan
Fred Dorrough
Calvin Pritchard
Izaia Perese
Joey Fittock
Kalyn Ponga

GPS2

Toby Greenup
Kyle Leofa
Luke Peterson
Jeremy Gimpel
George Cox
Kareem Tuuga
Connor Moroney
Ben Gunter
Harry Nucifora
Mack Mason
Franky Calugay
Eddie McCorley
Syd Smith
Tyrone Southorn
Rob Lane/ Jayden Ngamu (never seen either of these two play, but I assume they're the next best)

Looks strong TheKing - would be interested to see your GPS 3 predictions?

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
I'm not taking any offence, but I guess we will have to differ in our opinions. I certainly mean no offence to any player past or present. All of the boys I have met have been true gentlemen. I, like you, was just putting my opinion forward. You slightly misunderstood me, though. It's the boys that (re)turn to league who won't be playing club, not the ones misplaced.
For every player who plays QLD schoolboys, there is someone else who misses out. If that QLD player then leaves rugby after school, how is that benefiting the game? If he never plays union again, all that investment is lost. Maybe developing that slightly less talented player was the better option for the long term viability of the game.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Looks strong TheKing - would be interested to see your GPS 3 predictions?

I tried earlier, but there are just too many players I haven't had an opportunity to watch before. In the past GPS 3/Chairmans have been selected on the form not reputation, making it difficult to guess. I'll be there, so I'll post my updated predictions probably late Saturday afternoon.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
@samoanno8 what are these age groups changes? This is the first I've heard of them

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
@samoanno8 what are these age groups changes? This is the first I've heard of them

TheKing, new age group changes have been implemented:

Basically, the "October 31st" cut off has been disregarded, rather, is just based on the year you were born (December 31st). e.g. Boy in Year 11 born on November 5th 1997 (who would usually make the cut off) must play Opens Rugby

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
My crack at GPS1 and 2

Gavin Luka
Alex Mafi
James McColl
Angus Scott-Young
Darcy Leyland
Tuaina Tualima
PJ van den Burg
Reece Hewat
Eli Pilz
Alex Horan
Fred Dorrough
Calvin Pritchard
Izaia Perese
Joey Fittock
Kalyn Ponga

GPS2

Toby Greenup
Kyle Leofa
Luke Peterson
Jeremy Gimpel
George Cox
Kareem Tuuga
Connor Moroney
Ben Gunter
Harry Nucifora
Mack Mason
Franky Calugay
Eddie McCorley
Syd Smith
Tyrone Southorn

What happened to Sam Edwards . Leading tryscorer for Qld Maroon last year ?

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
My crack at GPS1 and 2

Gavin Luka
Alex Mafi
James McColl
Angus Scott-Young
Darcy Leyland
Tuaina Tualima
PJ van den Burg
Reece Hewat
Eli Pilz
Alex Horan
Fred Dorrough
Calvin Pritchard
Izaia Perese
Joey Fittock
Kalyn Ponga

GPS2

Toby Greenup
Kyle Leofa
Luke Peterson
Jeremy Gimpel
George Cox
Kareem Tuuga
Connor Moroney
Ben Gunter
Harry Nucifora
Mack Mason
Franky Calugay
Eddie McCorley
Syd Smith
Tyrone Southorn

Looks like a great team @TheKing

Just wondering...so you obviously think Horan is better than Mason and Hewat is better than Gunter? Interesting decision

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Thanks Digby, I'd assume he'd be thrown on to the wing in GPS 2. If he does end up paired with Tyrone Southorn though I'd be concerned with the size in that backline. Is there anyone else I've missed that you believe warrants selection?

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
My crack at GPS1 and 2

Gavin Luka
Alex Mafi
James McColl
Angus Scott-Young
Darcy Leyland
Tuaina Tualima
PJ van den Burg
Reece Hewat
Eli Pilz
Alex Horan
Fred Dorrough
Calvin Pritchard
Izaia Perese
Joey Fittock
Kalyn Ponga

GPS2

Toby Greenup
Kyle Leofa
Luke Peterson
Jeremy Gimpel
George Cox
Kareem Tuuga
Connor Moroney
Ben Gunter
Harry Nucifora
Mack Mason
Franky Calugay
Eddie McCorley
Syd Smith
Tyrone Southorn

Is Syd Smith actually playing tomorrow OR
Have the Broncos told him to rest up after his state of origin heroics.
Got to laugh with everyone saying " it's a big step up to play 1st xv" are you kidding ??firstly he will be the biggest centre in the comp. secondly under 16 rep league on the highest stage is as harder or harder than gps .

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Is Syd Smith actually playing tomorrow OR
Have the Broncos told him to rest up after his state of origin heroics.
Got to laugh with everyone saying " it's a big step up to play 1st xv" are you kidding ??firstly he will be the biggest centre in the comp. secondly under 16 rep league on the highest stage is as hard or harder than gps .

Status
Not open for further replies.