• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Good work Mr Kick. Some deeper considerations to ponder. NC, Churchie and to a lesser extent BBC and BSHS increase the likelihood of injury to their "stars" by contributing as they do in this forum. I think this improves the chances of a well drilled, well coached and well S&C'ed TSS side in the race for the cup. The hidden statistic is that all of Churchie's RubbyLoig players ( Sua, Ponga, Perese and Mason) did not trial and won't feature. All of these players would be run on in either GPS 1 or 2.

The contribution of a school's elite players is further risked with the National Championships being held before a GPS school competition has begun and before GPS players have been able to build a game fitness base. In these days of risk management for teachers/coaches and the arse covering paperwork that comes with it, there really is a case to suggest there is a discernable risk by playing a carnival with such a poor match play preparation. I am under strict medical advice not to say any more on this topic lest I be driven completely insane by the stupidity of the GPS Headmasters, that august band of urine soaked, silver templed, saggy testicled ponces who have basically handed NSW Schools teams all future national championships in perpetuity - but I digress.

My money is still with Churchie. Managing the egos that come with this status as favourites and with all these rep spots may be just as much an X factor as managing the injuries. Tim Horan tipped Churchie at the 1000 seat pre Test lunch the other day so the pressure has started. I wonder if this means they play " not to lose" instead of "trying to win". Time will tell.

One final thing. By running against in season AIC players, in the trials, the playing field at selection time for QRFSU teams is not level and I think this is why more AIC players featured in rep sides last year. There is no argument. AIC at its best can not match GPS at its best and there are many years of parallel seasons proving this fact - esp with 40+ -0 scorelines in the GPS1 -v-AIC1 matches. I'm not interested in hearing from AIC people because you may as well try and say Rolf Harris doesn't like hanging around Wiggles concerts.

PS Is it just me or is the Polynesian yearning for double barreled surnames the latest trend?

All good points. In 2012 BBC had 5 players injured in rep trials who only played a handful of Gps matches between them.2 went on to play Aussie schoolboys and 3 went on to play Aussie under 20. Oh what might have been

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Great stuff and congrats to those selected for the next step towards the QLD Schoolboys jersey.

With three starting teams selected, I don't see too many players who could have a real gripe about not being selected to have a shot at QLD selection.

No massive surprises, although I thought it was unusual for Gunter (BBC) to be a reserve lock and not a reserve loose forward.

Those tables above are excellent, but while providing a pointer of the season to come, means no guarantees. The (poor) form of IGS last year during the regular season after getting a fair share of selections at this point comes quickly to mind.

Mr shark
It is a well known secret at BBC that Gunter is not playing well because he is carrying an injury. He either plays with it or bites the bullet and gets an op

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Moving away from gps teams, who will be playing who this week in trials. I believe BBC take on BSHS, any other inter school games?

TSS v TGS @ TSS (Sunday)

TSS Team
1 Josh Taylor
2 Toby Greenup
3 Bradley Undi
4 Will Rudland
5 Liam Clifton
6 Tipene Mavoa
7 PJ van den Berg
8 Emry Pere
9 Josh Neal
10 Tyler Campbell
11 Ethan Lolesio
12 Jai Whitbread
13 Dylan Riley
14 Ben Turnbull
15 Fred Dorrough

Injured:
Jordan Lenac
Joey Fittock
Angus Allen

gtarmy

Frank Row (1)
ippy beat terrace 4 tries to 2 however terrace was dominant the whole game just got a few interceptions to hget in front. stand outs were connor moroney and alex horan and shambeckler vui

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
BGS got up 19 to 15 against Downlands. Very wet game which restricted the moves of the backs. Standouts from BGS: Paddy Dooley, Oli Fison, Nick Ebzery and a few others. Tom Sly in his first game back from injury controlled the backs well, as well as some personal razzle dazzle.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Had the pleasure of watching a brilliant display of schoolboy rugby today - BBC vBSHS
background
BBC won 16A 79 - nil(yes-seventy)
BBC won 2nds 7 tries to 1
BBC had 5 out in firsts includingSwain,Smith,Peterson , Ngamu

From kickoff BBC went 15 phases to score under the posts
But gee the state high team has heart and what defence. !'
BBC really missed Ngmau . countless overlaps but needed his jet shoes.
Henjak for state high was inspirational
3 tries all at halftime.
BBC eventually won 6 tries to 3.
Serious injury to Gunther and Tauuga also injured.
Best on ground was Farrell of BBC .what an athlete !i can see why he is in GPS team 1

This State High team is good but I really worry about depth if there are injuries. Their 2nds and 16a teams are very weak

BBC now have a lot of injuries .
Great game. I can't recall any kicking at all

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Had the pleasure of watching a brilliant display of schoolboy rugby today - BBC vBSHS
background

3 tries all at halftime.
Best on ground was Farrell of BBC .what an athlete !i can see why he is in GPS team 1

This State High team is good but I really worry about depth if there are injuries. Their 2nds and 16a teams are very weak

Well done. Good summary. I was also impressed with heart and commitment of BSHS
In fact I thought the BSHS back line outplayed BBC in 1st half.
However in the end the size and. Fitness of BBC forwards prevailed. It helps when you can bring a 1stxv player From last year like Palmer off the bench
No celebrations from BBC as Gunters injury looked very bad and they now have 7 out injured.
I agree with what you said about Farrell and Henjak

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
Gunter is in hospital and heard he is talking ok.heard the kicker in the 16As didn't miss one has real kicking depth.
Looks like they don't have that in the 1st's yet

Just a Parent

Frank Row (1)
Disgusted with our GPS competition (BSHS vs BBC 'trial' games yesterday).
Read this forum often but it has taken a while to join.
Managed to get a park close to field 2 at BBC yesterday - there the fun stops.
Watching BSHS16As down to 11 players, while BCC enjoyed the 'victory' with 15 sucks (who cheers when ambulances are taking people to hospital?)
Not sure what we are trying to teach our sons.

Blindsidemagic

Frank Row (1)
background

3 tries all at halftime.

Well Done to BBC 16A's they should be proud of them selves. Beating a state high team who had already played a full game in the B's (being nice and giving the BBC B's a game). then running on tired in the A game. Losing players due to 1st XV and injury at Half time (down to 11 players). and the BSHS A's still front up and give BBC a game, and all you can hear from the sideline is parents giving those boys crap. Disgusting display by BBC parents and players they should be ashamed of themselves. As for the First XV game BSHS had their Halfback out and their blindside flanker out two key players. and has anyone said that state high were wining at one stage against a imported team and school throwing countless amounts of dollars at their rugby program.

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
Is not BBC doing with their Scholarships what other schools have done for countless years?
And were the BBC boys aware that all the 16A's had played before.I don't believe so.
I heard the boys were concerned with boys being injured.

kickingtee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well Done to BBC 16A's they should be proud of them selves. Beating a state high team who had already played a full game in the B's (being nice and giving the BBC B's a game). then running on tired in the A game. Losing players due to 1st XV and injury at Half time (down to 11 players). and the BSHS A's still front up and give BBC a game, and all you can hear from the sideline is parents giving those boys crap. Disgusting display by BBC parents and players they should be ashamed of themselves. As for the First XV game BSHS had their Halfback out and their blindside flanker out two key players. and has anyone said that state high were wining at one stage against a imported team and school throwing countless amounts of dollars at their rugby program.

Let's not get nasty here but haven't State High physically held scholarship trials for years? I wasn't at the game but if BBC were doing what they I have read they were doing then that was disappointing of a school that is trying to pride itself in sportsmanship. However it was BSHS's own fault if they chose to run the A team twice and lose that badly. Not trying to fire anyone up but surely State High cannot get mad when they are beaten by teams that 'scholarship' players, as they have done for years. I honestly doubt as well that they would cheer another boy being injured, as many boys I know get would not be happy with causing serious harm to their opposition.

Just a Parent

Frank Row (1)
Let's not get nasty here but haven't State High physically held scholarship trials for years? I wasn't at the game but if BBC were doing what they I have read they were doing then that was disappointing of a school that is trying to pride itself in sportsmanship. However it was BSHS's own fault if they chose to run the A team twice and lose that badly. Not trying to fire anyone up but surely State High cannot get mad when they are beaten by teams that 'scholarship' players, as they have done for years. I honestly doubt as well that they would cheer another boy being injured, as many boys I know get would not be happy with causing serious harm to their opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.