• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
What is the infatuation with this BBC 15A team?
Good team - yes. Good players - yes.
However, I've seen better.
Move on it's getting boring.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
The smokescreen here is that the 15A side that beat NC in 2013 had very little to do with motivational speeches ( which have worn off by the time the team runs to the middle) and a whole lot to do with the huge number of new faces in the BBC team that year. A BBC old boy and recent parent filled me in on it and he was livid. Again, I call for realism on this forum!!! You could have Churchill followed by Alan Jones followed by Ray Lewis from the Baltimore Ravens talking to an U15 team beaten 75-0 the previous year and playing NC at home and it would make very little difference. Completely revamp that team with around 12 new faces and all of a sudden - different story. I have said before on this thread I have no issue with the BBC scholarship agenda, and I especially love the irony of it playing out against NC but please don't gloss over it and claim the victory was because they had the Messiah coaching them. With the stockpiling of talent across the GPS, the whole rugby landscape is becoming less and less about true "coaching" and more and more about "management" of the assembled stars. You want real coaching? Go and see what is happening in club junior sides and lower GPS ( the old CIC level) competitions - those guys actually "coach". The basic maths on teams like Churchie and BBC and NC is that there is a good chance rep level players will be in the 2nd XV in some positions and that is a joke in my book.

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
Well the livid parent was wrong there was not 12 new faces in the team!
And again was this all not hashed over last year?
Is not rugby stronger for all these boys getting a chance to go to BBC and again have not all the other schools done it for years?
The boys from BBC were genuinely shocked at BBC winning that game.
The country kids from Cairns have been given amazing opportunity and others.
Just let all these boys enjoy the game and the coach was the main factor in putting the game plans together and making a team.
Coaches have a lot of work and responsibly in all sports (and they are NEVER going to keep every mum or dad happy)
So lets all move on from BBC 15A team from last year.As this year it will be a new 16A and a new coach.
Good luck all schools

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Well the 15a comp this year will be wide open ... As will the 13a ?? The 14a will be win by NC and not through coaching ... I could get the local club coach to coach that team ... The rest of the comps will be down to coaching ... Mark my words coaches make a difference and to all the BBC people including me lady thing on last year 15a's if Nudgee didn't drop the ball from 8 metres out from a poor pass and decision from an over rated NC 10 then the score would of been different ... Good job by all players and coaches ... Great game...

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Well the 15a comp this year will be wide open . As will the 13a ?? The 14a will be win by NC and not through coaching . I could get the local club coach to coach that team . The rest of the comps will be down to coaching . Mark my words coaches make a difference and to all the BBC people including me lady thing on last year 15a's if Nudgee didn't drop the ball from 8 metres out from a poor pass and decision from an over rated NC 10 then the score would of been different . Good job by all players and coaches . Great game.

With a brilliant side last year and some top shelf new boys I am predicting the NC 14A will put 60 points on a few teams this year. They put 70 on TSS in a trial . Talk about an overdose of talent

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
With a brilliant side last year and some top shelf new boys I am predicting the NC 14A will put 60 points on a few teams this year. They put 70 on TSS in a trial . Talk about an overdose of talent

Don't disagree Digby. The big danger for the NC 14A's could be too much rugby, if there is such a thing. Most of their "stars" were playing up a year in the ARU Gold comp at beginning of year, club rugby, the QJRU Champs this weekend, the City v Country next weekend, more school trials and then eventually into the GPS rugby season.

Just as the physicality of the game increases by a large step, by the time the boys are playing some of the schools they will be close to their 50th game, which may just open up the opportunity for an upset.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Wow, I may have predicted above only happened earlier than I thought. The BJRU Pink u14 team that contains many of the NC " stars" spoken about in earlier posts including the exciting new No.8 just got beaten at the QJRU State Champs. The BJRU Orange team that accomplished that feat included mainly BSHS and BBC "stars".

So maybe the u14 GPS comp is not the one horse race most of us on this G&G thread including me think it will be.

PommyPowerhouse3

Frank Nicholson (4)
Wow, I may have predicted above only happened earlier than I thought. The BJRU Pink u14 team that contains many of the NC " stars" spoken about in earlier posts including the exciting new No.8 just got beaten at the QJRU State Champs. The BJRU Orange team that accomplished that feat included mainly BSHS and BBC "stars".

So maybe the u14 GPS comp is not the one horse race most of us on this G&G thread including me think it will be.

Agreed. Thing is a lot of the state teams are put together within a matter of weeks (usually not enough time to fully set up a team) so going of what you've posted that NC u14 team is very well coached along with having some natural talent which completely contradicts what some have said about how important coaching really is. Fact is their 14 they can't coach them selves. Congrats to BJRU Orange though would have been great to watch

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Let's just say you have highlighted the very average 13,14 and 16 concept that the QRU has put together to try and keep the kids from playing league ... Just how many are at the league carnival and how many don't play club union ... You do the maths .... NC 14 well coached???? .while I don't disagree that the coach has ability as an underage coach, facts are they have done 5-6 weeks of skills and two trial games ... Lol ... It's easy to coach talent ... Just ask Mal...

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
We should appreciate all the coaches that give up their time to develop players across all schools ... Rugby wouldn't be the same without the GPS system..

PommyPowerhouse3

Frank Nicholson (4)
Let's just say you have highlighted the very average 13,14 and 16 concept that the QRU has put together to try and keep the kids from playing league . Just how many are at the league carnival and how many don't play club union . You do the maths .. NC 14 well coached???? .while I don't disagree that the coach has ability as an underage coach, facts are they have done 5-6 weeks of skills and two trial games . Lol . It's easy to coach talent . Just ask Mal.

No doubt it is easier to coach talent but that talent is useless with out direction.
We should appreciate all the coaches that give up their time to develop players across all schools . Rugby wouldn't be the same without the GPS system..
Couldn't agree more. GPS rugby is the pinnacle of Queensland rugby

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
6 GPS boys make Australian Schools Squad - Asiata, Fittock, Luka, Mafi, Moroney, Vui

That's the sum of Queensland's involvement, with 3 to be added

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Can you explain how the BJRU colour system works, i cant find details anywhere
Without digressing to much on the gps sight, it's loosely divided into north, central,west and south. They use the color system as some of the talent can spread around if required.
Getting back to the gps, round one less than two weeks away, last trial games this coming weekend. Anyone seeing any upsets for round one?

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
6 GPS boys make Australian Schools Squad - Asiata, Fittock, Luka, Mafi, Moroney, Vui

That's the sum of Queensland's involvement, with 3 to be added

Don't think having the gps season in term 3 helps matters

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Don't think having the gps season in term 3 helps matters

Not at all. The lack of AIC representation seems to suggest that having the term 2 season doesn't give them any advantage though..

The NSW trials are midway through their AAGPS season. The Queenslanders have all played between 3 and 6 trial games apiece.

It just may be that this current trial system is the most fair. I don't think there are any GPS boys who really could put there hand up that haven't been named already - Moroney was a surprise package though.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
I don't think there are any GPS boys who really could put there hand up that haven't been named already

Reece Hewat? Tuiana Tuilima? Sam Edwards? Calvin Pritchard? I heard all these players and more missed out on tight selections. Maybe with a few more games pre the championships, the players wouldve been able to fully develop their individual games before going away and trialing for the highest honour, aus schoolboys.

countrylad18

Frank Row (1)
Just wondering was anyone else shocked that Harley Fox of ACGS wasn't picked for top spot? I wasn't able to go down and see the matches but I heard he played really well all week.

Surely will be a wrecking ball during the season.

Also wondering was their any other players from other schools which picked league pathway and not Union pathway. Someone was telling me that from ACGS M Mason, K Ponga, J Sua, B Croft and I Prease all picked League pathway. Heard rumours players out of BBC and grammar also decided on that? Anyone know anything about it?

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Just wondering was anyone else shocked that Harley Fox of ACGS wasn't picked for top spot? I wasn't able to go down and see the matches but I heard he played really well all week.

Surely will be a wrecking ball during the season.

Heard there were some questions asked about workrate - that seemed to play a big role in selections particularly across the back row.

Status
Not open for further replies.