• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hits74

Frank Nicholson (4)
From what I've seen in the last 3 or 4 years winning the GPS comp is not all based on the amount of star players/imports a team has. Some of these league players either have no or little union experience and will take a season or two before they start producing the kind of rugby that wins a title rather then a few good games. With each school featuring quality players, I tend to lean more on who the coaching staff is that are looking after these players. They are key to winning a title.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
All the schools were out there looking around. BBC apparently cleaned up, they are DESPERATE to try and win the premiership next year
I coached the Under 16 Brisbane Green side and pleased to hear a few boys have been picked by various GPS schools. For a team that cleaned sweep on all team by 20 + points during the carnival I do hope these names will appear on 1st XV in future posts. Talented bunch of players that are already part of an exciting age groups with some serious talent. In the end rugby will be the winners watching these guys playing no matter what competition.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
From what I've seen in the last 3 or 4 years winning the GPS comp is not all based on the amount of star players/imports a team has. Some of these league players either have no or little union experience and will take a season or two before they start producing the kind of rugby that wins a title rather then a few good games. With each school featuring quality players, I tend to lean more on who the coaching staff is that are looking after these players. They are key to winning a title.
Very good point indeed.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Without number 12, and 13 your backline is useless. With 13 coming back, im not sure you'll have it in you? Word is you're importing a polynesian boy by the name of Sua? Great player in league, never seen him play union before

Sam, not sure what you mean here. Izzy Perese (the player of the national U16 tournament) returns at 13 and the new boy Sua replaces Tanuvasu at 12. Ponga comes up from the 15A's, 9, 10, 11, 14 and 15 all return as legit Yr 12's and with solid 2013 1st XV experience. By my calculations, that is 8 quality players for 7 spots. The question has been posed before in this forum - can a team of stars become a star team?? This is Churchie's 2014 challenge.

Priemership

Frank Row (1)
Not sure what boys you are trying to talk up.

Do you think there is no space for:

- Sam Edwards (1st XV 2013, Qld Red U16 2013)
- Jerumi Nanai (1st XV 2013)

The biggest problem for this team is the workrate. One or two from last year would make a great tackle and then bask in the glory for 10 minutes. If they are going to be successful they need to work for 70 minutes. At least 2014 will have the greatest competition for spots in living memory.

Who will throw into the lineout? It was a massive fail all through 2013.
My pick for the backs:

9. Max Dempsey
10. John Seabrook
11. Sam Edwards
12. Jerumi Nanai
13. Tiaan Wilkins
14. Nathinel ???? (injured in 2013 15A's)
15. Len Itiaku

There are new centres/loose forwards that will be coming in to contend for postions, whether or not they are up to standard is yet to be seen.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sam, not sure what you mean here. Izzy Perese (the player of the national U16 tournament) returns at 13 and the new boy Sua replaces Tanuvasu at 12. Ponga comes up from the 15A's, 9, 10, 11, 14 and 15 all return as legit Yr 12's and with solid 2013 1st XV experience. By my calculations, that is 8 quality players for 7 spots. The question has been posed before in this forum - can a team of stars become a star team?? This is Churchie's 2014 challenge.

IMO Perese is a great player and well be a vital pillar for churchie next year, rumour is he is having a knee op and could be out for a couple rounds early in the GPS season. Ive personally seen Sua play at nudgee for league and he is a great ball runner, have doubts on his ability to compete with guys maybe 2 years older than him, have heard he doesnt play much rugby and will struggle to pick up the ropes with such an advanced team like churchie. Yes you do have 7 players returning, but in my eyes they werent stand outs like Perease this year, consistent yes, but no spark without 13 in your team 'monday expert'

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
whats the word around town about Ippy and BSHS. Have they changed coaching staff or brought in some new players? I agree with the comment earlier about league players making impacts depending on who is coaching them. What Emtage and Barker have done with BGS and BBC respectively are incredible, irrespective of imports or not.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
My pick for the backs:

9. Max Dempsey
10. John Seabrook
11. Sam Edwards
12. Jerumi Nanai
13. Tiaan Wilkins
14. Nathinel ???? (injured in 2013 15A's)
15. Len Itiaku

There are new centres/loose forwards that will be coming in to contend for postions, whether or not they are up to standard is yet to be seen.

Nathinel ? Not sure who he is, havent heard any 'hype' over him, he was no stand out in the undefeated team this year mate, chris veriervis and ben simpson were two great wingers who will find a place in next years team.

Priemership

Frank Row (1)
Nathinel ? Not sure who he is, havent heard any 'hype' over him, he was no stand out in the undefeated team this year mate, chris veriervis and ben simpson were two great wingers who will find a place in next years team.

Apparently he had a season ending injury before he played a single GPS match. According to a few of the backs they reckon he will be the pick; I totally agree Kris Veriervis is right up there in contention if not better.

ftuah

Frank Row (1)
XV SQUAD 2014 PREDICTIONS CHURCHIE FROM WATCHING THERE TRAINING, PLAYERS AND GAMES AS WELL AS KNOWING THE COACHING STAFF
1. Angus Wagner or Max coyne or if William Bailey if he is repeating
2. Josh Webb (1st XV 2013 + QLD U15 2012)
3. Richie Asitia (2nd XV 2013)
4. Angus Scott-Young (1st XV 2013 + QLD U15 2012)
5. Josh Acworth (Qld under 15 and 2 games of first XV) or James gall( met east under 15 and 16A Bjru under 15)
6. Jeremy Gimpel (1st XV 2013 + Met East U15 2012)
7. Liam Wright (1st XV 2013 + Met East U15 2013)
8. Harley Foxx (1st XV 2013)
9. Harry Nucifora (1st XV 2013 + QLD U15 2012)
10. Mack Mason (1st XV 2013+ Queensland U16 Red 2012)
11.Kaylan Ponga
12. Jayden Tua
13. Izaiah Perese (1st XV 2013)
14. Max Quigley (1st XV 2013)
15. Benjamin Ogilvie (1st XV 2013)

ftuah

Frank Row (1)
ACGS 1XV

1. Angus Wagner
2. Josh Webb
3. Richie Asiata
4. Angus Scott Youung
5. Josh Acworth
6. Jeremy Gimpel
7. Liam Wright
8. Harley Fox
9. Harry Nucifora
10. Mack Mason
11. Ben Ogilive
12. Max Quigley
13. Isaia Perese
14. ???
15. Kalyn Ponga

14 could be Jayden Sua and James gilmore would run a large crash ball off him

ftuah

Frank Row (1)
ACGS team for 2014:
1. Angus Wagner (16A 2013 + Met East U15 2012)
2. Josh Webb (1st XV 2013 + QLD U15 2012)
3. Richie Asitia (2nd XV 2013)
4. Angus Scott-Young (1st XV 2013 + QLD U15 2012)
5. Jeremy Gimpel (1st XV 2013 + Met East U15 2012)
6. Liam Wright (1st XV 2013 + Met East U15 2013)
7. James Macmillan (15A 2013 + U15 Met East)
8. Harley Foxx (1st XV 2013)
9. Harry Nucifora (1st XV 2013 + QLD U15 2012)
10. Mack Mason (1st XV 2013+ Queensland U16 Red 2012)
11. Hugo Doessel (16a 2013 + Met East U15 2012)
12. Sam Wallis (15A 2013 + U15 Met East)
13. Izaiah Perese (1st XV 2013)
14. Max Quigley (1st XV 2013)
15. Benjamin Ogilvie (1st XV 2013)
Yes solid team except James Macmillan and the 12 are not up to XV they are under sized and struggled in under 15's. Jayden Sua will play 12 , Ponga on the wing , Liam wright will go to 7 as in the nudgee game, Jeremy gimple will go 6 as in the nudgee game, the number 5 will either go to James Gall, Josh Acworth or even James Mitchell. Please do note i have watched them play and know some coaching staff of the team

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
Apparently he had a season ending injury before he played a single GPS match. According to a few of the backs they reckon he will be the pick; I totally agree Kris Veriervis is right up there in contention if not better.

Too much self publicity from Nate.

Yes injured early then played Bs until rep AFL became his priority.

Ben Simpson (U15 Bris Blue BJRU and U15 Bris Rep Vs Country 2013) was a standout as was Fraser Cotton and Kris Verevis. IMO Nate has the build but will start behind the other three. Kris will play 1st XV but where. His work rate is as good as anyone in GPS and he is hard as nails as a National Boxing Champion.

Lots of pressure on Jon Seabrook to prove he can be a regular match winner. Premierships are rarely won without a flyhalf with mercurial skills.

Luckyleague

Frank Row (1)

I am fairly new to the rugby scene but do know a bit about the league boys mentioned quite a bit lately on this forum. They all seem to be performing quite well in the rugby world and many involved in the recent u16 championships. BBC have picked up a few young ones though, who might struggle at first. Tiaan will be good for them if remains injury free. Perese for Churchie will be a loss if he is out a couple of games. Looking foward to Jayden Sua performing. Another poster mentioned doubt about going up against players 2yr older, but he played with my oldest boy in league this year for opens in league Qld states (18s) and played in the top high school league comp in the 18s for league. Its all about how they adapt to the game of rugby thats all. My youngest starts GPS union next year, another league convert.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
Could look something like this:
1 Kahn Helms - 2nd XV 2013
2 Bronson Tauakipulu - current 1st XV capt (if he repeats)/??
3 Luke Petersen - current 1st XV
4 Darcy Swain -current 1st XV
5 Dylan Leyland -current 1st XV
6 Kareem Tuuga - current 1st XV
7 Christian Malalau - current 1st XV
8 Ben Gunther - current 1st XV
9 Max Dempsey - current 1st XV
10 Johnny Seabrook - current 16As
11 Sam Edwards - current 1st XV
12 Josh Betar - current 16As
13 Jerumi Nanai - current 1st XV
14 Kris Verevis - current 15As
15 Tiaan Wilkins - current 1st XV (injured)

Cant find a place for Lucas Palmer or John Swain who are in grade 11 and playing 16As, 2nd XV respectively nor Tom Jellie (current 2nd XV fullback). Son of "Brick with Eyes" will also struggle to be in the top side. Not to mention room for members of the current 15As, but as we all know injuries do happen and you need depth.
I heard from a friend that a half back is coming to the school from a school further out West. The lad has to repeat Yr 11 but has a great reputation. Has anyone else heard this rumour

Hits74

Frank Nicholson (4)
14 could be Jayden Sua and James gilmore would run a large crash ball off him

Going by J Sua's background, he will definitely get one of the centre spots. Churchie looking more and more like the team to beat in 2014

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
TSS look pretty weak next year, no repeating from 2013 1st XV, only have Greenup who plays in the front row, with a couple games at 1st XV level, fairly strong 16s and 15s coming through, sound like they wont be too strong next year. Maybe importing, anyone heard anything?

Scrummy

Bob McCowan (2)
TSS look pretty weak next year, no repeating from 2013 1st XV, only have Greenup who plays in the front row, with a couple games at 1st XV level, fairly strong 16s and 15s coming through, sound like they wont be too strong next year. Maybe importing, anyone heard anything?
I've heard the winger with blue or black headgear may be repeating... I doubt TSS will be weak... 16's have got a fair few talents, plus there were at least 5 yr 11's in the 2nds who were nearly up to the 1sts level.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
I've heard the winger with blue or black headgear may be repeating. I doubt TSS will be weak. 16's have got a fair few talents, plus there were at least 5 yr 11's in the 2nds who were nearly up to the 1sts level.
I believe that Freddie D, who played wing and fullback, as well as 'PJ', who played at 6: are in Yr 11 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.