• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Fairly certain Angus Scott-Young (ACGS), Alex Mafi (NC), Izaia Perere (ACGS), & Tyrone Southorn (BSHS) will be standouts in the GPS comp.

All great players, and yes definitely are players to watch this year, but still IMO these players will be the ones to watch closely.

Scorpion

Frank Row (1)
When you say Gunther(and it should be Gunter)is spending more time with his GF than in the gym. What do you mean by GF?

Scorpion

Frank Row (1)
Thanks for that. I don't know were some people get there information from but this is incorrect, he spent it with his family in NSW and spent plenty of time in the gym, take a look at him. Get your facts correct before you start bagging

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Thanks for that. I don't know were some people get there information from but this is incorrect, he spent it with his family in NSW and spent plenty of time in the gym, take a look at him. Get your facts correct before you start bagging
Probably just being hopeful.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rumors going around BGS that Logan Spaander has now started at the school after returning from NZ due to family reasons. This is a massive boost for BGS with Lanskey and Logan having played with each other on numerous occasions. Those 2 with Tom Sly should cause havoc for oppositions all across the board. BGS ladder prediction: 4/5

Great league player, like a lot of league imports, the question is whether or not he can be converted in time for season. Lanskey and Spaander would make a great combo, still wouldnt rate grammar that high with a team like they are going to have though.

leftrightout

Stan Wickham (3)
Players to watch in this years comp, a lot of talent in a wide range of positions:

Churchie: Kaylan Ponga (15/13)
BBC: Syd Smith (8/6/12)
NC: Reece Hewat (4/6/8)
TGS: Dean Bender (10/13/15)
TSS: Joey Fittock (13/14/15)
IGS: Issac Roda (4/8)
GT: Kyle Leofa (1/8)
BSHS: Tuiana Tualima (4/6/8)
BGS: Lachlan Lanskey (12/13/14)

I think a few of these players you have named here may struggle to make the 1st xv at some schools.

Its all very well to be dominate in your age group when you may be an early developer.

A lot of boys who are back for there second year playing in the open age group are already 18 and know what it takes to front up every week and take the hits from a fully developed 18yr old.unless these younger boys have spent the summer in the gym or working on there fitness may find themselves back playing age rugby or running on in the seconds jersey.

Rampage

Frank Row (1)
I think a few of these players you have named here may struggle to make the 1st xv at some schools.

Its all very well to be dominate in your age group when you may be an early developer.

A lot of boys who are back for there second year playing in the open age group are already 18 and know what it takes to front up every week and take the hits from a fully developed 18yr old.unless these younger boys have spent the summer in the gym or working on there fitness may find themselves back playing age rugby or running on in the seconds jersey.

BBC - Syd Smith
ACGS - Kalyn Ponga
IGS - Unga Wolske
TSS - Emry Pere
NC - Tony Hunt
TGS - Hamish Stewart

leftrightout - I disagree imo these guys should all make their schools 1st XV teams regardless of their age - fitness and strength won't be an issue they know what it takes. They may not dominate but they will definately hold their own.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
So what's a possible BGS lineup with Spaander included?

Also Isnt there a grade 11 import from NSW?
BBC - Syd Smith
ACGS - Kalyn Ponga
IGS - Unga Wolske
TSS - Emry Pere
NC - Tony Hunt
TGS - Hamish Stewart

leftrightout - I disagree imo these guys should all make their schools 1st XV teams regardless of their age - fitness and strength won't be an issue they know what it takes. They may not dominate but they will definately hold their own.

Not sure Smith will even make the BBC team . Word is the centres will be Folds and ( a fully fit) Tiaan Wilikns ( who scored 4 tries in 2 matches last year and then got injured).
If there has been a bigger centre combination in the last decade in GPS rugby then I have not seen it.Interestinly they are both on contract with the Melbourne Storm ( as was McLean last year).
And the scary thing is: they both in grade 11,!,

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Not sure Smith will even make the BBC team . Word is the centres will be Folds and ( a fully fit) Tiaan Wilikns ( who scored 4 tries in 2 matches last year and then got injured).
If there has been a bigger centre combination in the last decade in GPS rugby then I have not seen it.Interestinly they are both on contract with the Melbourne Storm ( as was McLean last year).
And the scary thing is: they both in grade 11,!,

But Jerumi is back this year & played every match in the 1sts last year in the centres>.where does he go?Guess he & Smith will play wing?
Holy shit -depth at BBC -things are changing.
Word is that thenew kid NGAMU is impressing everyone at QRU -especialy Carozza.And they have him playing flyhalf /fullback.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
The depth in the centres this year is unbelievable, nothing BBC has ever seen before, but both Foulds and Syd have an equal amount of talent, size and speed, its hard to judge who will make it over who, also Jerumi Nanai to add to the pick who played last year also, but a definitely lock down of 13 for Wilkins. Nguma at 15 or 10 leaves the wings open, would see Chirs Verivis, Fraser Cotton and Len Ikitau in the mix for those spots.

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
The depth in the centres this year is unbelievable, nothing BBC has ever seen before, but both Foulds and Syd have an equal amount of talent, size and speed, its hard to judge who will make it over who, also Jerumi Nanai to add to the pick who played last year also, but a definitely lock down of 13 for Wilkins. Nguma at 15 or 10 leaves the wings open, would see Chirs Verivis, Fraser Cotton and Len Ikitau in the mix for those spots.

I suspect Sam Edwards would have first go for one wing spot.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
I suspect Sam Edwards would have first go for one wing spot.
Yes, it would be hard to pass over players returning for a second (or in one case, third) year in 1st's, especially since BBC had a strong side in 2012. No doubt Edwards will have first shot at wing and Wilkins in centre. There will be many players who in past years would have been a walk-in on the BBC 1st XV, who may not even make the bench this year.

AICgossip2014

Frank Nicholson (4)
Extremely overrated competition, unfair that the more you pay the better competition that you are in. AIC boys are treated unfairly when there is huge amount of talent. It is disgraceful since boys parents have more money that they get better priority.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
GPSGPSGPS

I'm not sure why my computer won't let me quote, but your post in reply to mine was fair and reasonable. It's all good.

After all, we Jeeps guys have to stick together!

It should be fascinating to see how the GPS comp plays out this year, with BBC's performance being the most intriguing of all. I've seen Ben Gunther play a couple of times and think he could have a huge season (isn't he only in Year 11?).

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Gunter,Wilkins ,Foulds,,Ngmau,Smith etc etc all grade 11.So next year at least 4 of them will be 3rd year in 1st xv.

Mate -BBC are like the Boston Red Sox(always the Bridesmaids)-as we have seen in the last 3 years(5 Qld players injured in 2012!) something will go wrong:injury,expulsion,awol league games,,bubonic plague etc.

As for the AIC v GPS debate.I remember almost a decade ago St Laurances with Cooper Cronk dishing up Churchie and Ashgrove with the Frisby boys beating Terrace.But now without the imports that GPS has some of the trial matches from 2 years ago show the size and strenght of the GPS players is too much.That is why Aussie Schoolboys have beaten NZ schools 2 out of last 3 years-plus a brilliant coach in Phillpotts of BBC..Pity so many of Aussie schoolboys of last 3 years went to league.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
So what's a possible BGS lineup with Spaander included?

Also Isnt there a grade 11 import from NSW?

Spaander to go to 10 and shift Nyoah Rosmarin to 15, Tom Sly to 14. And yes their is a new kid who has arrived in Year 11 at BGS, not really sure who he is/what credentials he has, but is definitely at BGS. Seems tall and fast, outside back possibly (says my friend who goes to BGS).

Desle Aslo

Bob McCowan (2)
Logan Spaander apparently will not be playing for BGS this year, he has arrived back from NZ and will finish his schooling at Wavell according to close family friends and relatives

Status
Not open for further replies.