• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

underdone

Peter Burge (5)
Any stand out performances at tennyson yesterday?

Very good quality rugby, if the selectors were looking for team players it would be hard for them to pick two teams, most were playing for themselves.
A lot of injuries seemed to place as the games were very intense.

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Very good quality rugby, if the selectors were looking for team players it would be hard for them to pick two teams, most were playing for themselves.
A lot of injuries seemed to place as the games were very intense.

Major injuries worth following up or just tweaks and knocks?

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
My crack @ GPS 1 -

1. Luka/ Asiata
2. Mafi
3. McColl/ Vui
4. Leyland
5. Scott-Young
6. Fox/ Tuiana
7. Van Den Berg
8. Hewett
9. Nucifora/ Pilz
10. Horan
11. Hussey
12. Pritchard
13. Bender
14. Ogilvie
15. Southorn

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
My crack @ GPS 1 -

1. Luka/ Asiata
2. Mafi
3. McColl/ Vui
4. Leyland
5. Scott-Young
6. Fox/ Tuiana
7. Van Den Berg
8. Hewett
9. Nucifora/ Pilz
10. Horan
11. Hussey
12. Pritchard
13. Bender
14. Ogilvie
15. Southorn

Interesting. Is that based on second trial form?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
David Eagle is at IGS??

He's an absolute legend of Schoolboy Rugby in Queensland, he coached BSHS to a bazillion premierships, oversaw a program that produced Ed Quirk, Chris Sautia, Matt To'omua, Paul Alo Emile, and Curtis Browning as well as several dozen Australian Schoolboy reps. When Eagle and his parter Graham Noon left BSHS the program went to the dogs, this is the first year they've started to come good under Sione Fukofuka

TheKing
Its interesting to see how these GPS Old Boys came back through the GPS Rugby system:

1st XV Coaches:
Eagle from SH now at IGS
Gardner from BGS at BGS (Noon/Ross from BGS were at SH)
Barker from SH now at BBC - prev ACGS&NC
Wallace from SH now at TSS

Not sure about
Gillmore from ACGS ?? at ACGS
Connellan from ?? at NC
GT ? (Mark Stevenson from SH ex GT now Backs at BBC)
TGS ?

DORs:
Phillpotts from TSS - DOR BBC
Nucifora from BGS - DOR ACGS
Dyer from BBC - ex DOR SH

That's a hell of a lot of Rugby experience going back into the GPS system

Johnson1

Frank Row (1)
My crack @ GPS 1 -

1. Luka/ Asiata
2. Mafi
3. McColl/ Vui
4. Leyland
5. Scott-Young
6. Fox/ Tuiana
7. Van Den Berg
8. Hewett
9. Nucifora/ Pilz
10. Horan
11. Hussey
12. Pritchard
13. Bender
14. Ogilvie
15. Southorn

Really? I thought Pilz was full of errors and Pritchard didn't stand out at all. However I agree on Bender and Southorn those two were strong.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
My crack @ GPS 1 -

1. Luka/ Asiata
2. Mafi
3. McColl/ Vui
4. Leyland
5. Scott-Young
6. Fox/ Tuiana
7. Van Den Berg
8. Hewett
9. Nucifora/ Pilz
10. Horan
11. Hussey
12. Pritchard
13. Bender
14. Ogilvie
15. Southorn

Let me guess: you are a Churchie supporter!

Knockon

Bob McCowan (2)
Really? I thought Pilz was full of errors and Pritchard didn't stand out at all. However I agree on Bender and Southorn those two were strong.

It was a trial played like one. I found that the 9s and 10s were taking the ball themselves too many times when the ball should of been shifted with the exception of GTs 10 who was outstanding. The 12 your talking about did his job and distributed and organised his outside backs well. It was more of a forwads game in all matches. I assume the men with their boards are well aware of this and should show when they list the teams.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
I've heard TSS beat NC 3 tries to 2

Tries to Tyler Campbell, Emry Pere & Unknown (possibly Tyler Campbell again) for TSS. Tries to No. 14 & No. 16 for Nudgee

Some photos, more at https://www.flickr.com/photos/100900132@N02/sets/72157644643869829/

14364273355_5fc8b75db5_b_d.jpg

14177740009_0682b1f271_b_d.jpg

14364559155_caf97e8b2a_b_d.jpg

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
My crack @ GPS 1 -

1. Luka/ Asiata
2. Mafi
3. McColl/ Vui
4. Leyland
5. Scott-Young
6. Fox/ Tuiana
7. Van Den Berg
8. Hewett
9. Nucifora/ Pilz
10. Horan
11. Hussey
12. Pritchard
13. Bender
14. Ogilvie
15. Southorn

Would pick Tuiana over fox, Pilz over nuciforia. But Ogilvie doesn't deserve a spot here? He had a horrible pass to southorn and was very slow on return all day, returning kicks and contact were also abit rough. Would pick Joey Fittock or Fred Dorough over Ogilvie any day.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
David Eagle is at IGS??

He's an absolute legend of Schoolboy Rugby in Queensland, he coached BSHS to a bazillion premierships, oversaw a program that produced Ed Quirk, Chris Sautia, Matt To'omua, Paul Alo Emile, and Curtis Browning as well as several dozen Australian Schoolboy reps. When Eagle and his parter Graham Noon left BSHS the program went to the dogs, this is the first year they've started to come good under Sione Fukofuka

I know Dave Eagle and he is certainly a good coach. His time with Noon ( another fine coach) at BSHS certainly saw some good team play and some wonderful players developed. I think both men would shrug their shoulders and say that the stars aligned (literally) in those years when they ruled the roost. But let's keep things in perspective. I think under Eagle, BSHS won a couple of premierships, not a bazillion and maybe saw 10 -12 boys make Australian Schools or Australian A teams - not several dozen, although BSHS are certainly up there amongst the best nurseries in Australia since Schools rep sides started in 1969. Praise where praise is due - definitely - but let's not lose perspective in a frenzy. I think the winning-est current coaches in the competition are Barker (NC-ACGS-BBC) and Connellan (NC).

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Not sure about
Gillmore from ACGS ?? at ACGS
Connellan from ?? at NC
GT ? (Mark Stevenson from SH ex GT now Backs at BBC

Fantastic post, Linespeed.

I know Gilmore grew up on the Gold Coast, but couldn't say if he went to TSS. He was an Easts player for some years, coached the QLD U16s before coaching TGS. After a year or two he got head hunted by Churchie.

To replace him TGS brought in a a South African named Jono Farrell, but I believe he may have moved on..

No idea where Connellan went to school, and I'm not sure who coaches Terrace these days at all

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
"Would pick Joey Fittock or Fred Dorough over Ogilvie any day. "

add Sam Edwards to that mix-leading tryscorer for Qld maroon last year.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
He could probably add a whole heap of BBC boys to that list as well, pretty minor representation for the 2014 favourites

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Good to see Mondays Expert and GSP are both involved in the forums again this year. Should we be getting the popcorn ready?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
by4a9agu.jpg

McReight to start at 12 while only in year 10, pushing Eddie McCorley to the wing.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
"He could probably add a whole heap of BBC boys to that list as well, pretty minor representation for the 2014 favourites"

Dear King

BBC has had 116 years of being the underdog-and would prefer it to stay that way.
IMO the 20015 side will be considerably stronger than this year.The backline is far from settled but the new number 6-Farrell -is impressing the hell out of everyone & no one wants to be tackled by him at training.

Status
Not open for further replies.