• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
bad troll is bad. College fielded 14D team that had a solid win against Terrace.

Perhaps you should consider that many of the boarders can't return before x date and the logistics of opening up the boarding house prior to then are a nightmare.

Or maybe just consider that life doesn't revolve around trial games for rugby champion

It is not about twinning : it's about planning and commitment. GT 13c team were warming up and told :"sorry - no game. Boarders are away"That's why NC , TSS , ACGS all had full teams with most boarders playing.At those schools - no trial,you get dropped next week . At BBC it's all fine to return from Aspen and meet your teammates for 1st time at training before match 1

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
It is not about twinning : it's about planning and commitment. GT 13c team were warming up and told :"sorry - no game. Boarders are away"That's why NC , TSS , ACGS all had full teams with most boarders playing.At those schools - no trial,you get dropped next week . At BBC it's all fine to return from Aspen and meet your teammates for 1st time at training before match 1
Jeez your fired up mate see how it all goes next week

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Tips for Round1 26/07/14

TSS by 15

TGS by 3

ACGS by 12

GT by 10

NC v Downlands by 20+

Has anyone got the link to that tipping competition someone set up? Would be good to see who really is the rugby genius on these forums come the end of the season

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
That's really the best you've got Yates ?? If you have nothing to say that will benefit anyone but your own axe-grinding myopic little world, then piss off . Interestingly -
  • It's a bit easier for a school that has already been back at school for a week to get organized.
  • You speak of commitment - what about commitment to families - families that these kids are away from most of the year - not sure what the world is like under your rock, but its not all about planning and commitment - balance is good
  • For someone told just prior to the game that they didn't have opposition, the GT 13C seemed to find another 15 boys to play pretty quickly - they got a game - isn't this about it being good that they all got a run anyway ? Depth is a great thing, and GT enjoys that.
  • Most of the BBC boys met each other at the three or four trials they had last term, and showed plenty of commitment and eagerness in those games.
  • Not much snow in Aspen this time of year pal ! And by the way, what is "twinning" ??
The season hasn't even stated yet mate - have a bex and a bit of a lie down and see if you can come to next week's games with a better attitude and enjoy the day !

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I'm just gonna leave this here.
http://mysportstips.net/

Comp Number - 10403
Comp Password - rugby

Should be interesting.
Previously people have kept there own tipping scores which have been unreliable.

TSS v BBC to be the game of the round imo.
Is there any way to set up a bonus point margin tip? Would be cool

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes they all met each other But do they know yet who is in their teams?
Is it normal to not have your teams set and the boys not to know what team they are playing in till the 1st game?????
Even the A teams ?

Smokin101

Frank Row (1)
I saw the match in progress at Miskin street yesterday and dropped in. GT deserved the win. I was impressed with GT #7 - a Michael Hooper like performance, the GT #5 did a good job in the tight and contributed around the field and the GT #1 was also a solid performer. GT backs attacked well to the right ( a harder pass) but constantly stole space from their wingers by running across field. The GT #13 needs a biol teacher to sit with him and explain how he is bigger than most others in the competition and then get a physics teacher to sit with him and explain speed and momentum and force. If he got out of 1st gear and actually ran hard and straight GT would have a wonderful weapon.
BBC were chaotic. Their lineout delivery was below 1st XV standard, their defensive lineout procedures were non existent, their scrum, despite its size, did not dominate and they ran their outside men out of space more regularly than GT did. Snappy short passing, a feature of Tom Barker teams when turnovers are on seemed to falter under pressure and we are not at the big dance yet. Although his first two steps with ball in hand are always across field, I thought the BBC #10 was one of their better ones and the BBC #9 always has a go.
If all the big guys are coming back, then BBC had better hope for a wet season because GT showed that BBC can be run off their feet by a gameplan which spreads the ball and supports it.
One thing that the teams deserved recognition for was the absence of aimless kicking - both sides tried to run it although if I was BBC, I would be committing my opponents to match me in forward contests where my size might count but the caveat here is that it must be done with vigour, not the pedestrian "we've already won this" attitude they started with. While I'm on this I may as well say it was disrespectful gamesmanship to be well late for the kickoff and then going through the totally unnecessary 'prayer on the knee' stuff to further prolong the wait for GT. Do that in the dressing room if it is important to you and be on time is my comment.
Best wishes to all teams for an injury free season of some of the most memorable games you will ever play.
I also think if some boys want to pray before a game , they should do so alone before the game. . The team huddle on field, should be motivational for all and focus on the job ahead.

Smokin101

Frank Row (1)
I just want to address a point here; people mention GT's "league filled backline" frequently - and they're right, there is a distinctively league flavour to that side: Nikau, Hiale, and Quilian Malaki-Pritchard are all league players.

However, Churchie has more - Jayden Sua, Izaia Perese, Mack Mason, and Kalyn Ponga (and Harley Fox but who's counting?)

BBC has Sam Edwards, Lenny Ikitau, Foulds and Smith in the mix, and I assume several more from 2013's 15As.

BGS at full strength has Sly, Lanskey, and Wolstenholme.

IGS has Maraentha Raeli, Ethan Page, and I believe the fullback Geoff Robertson has a league background too, with Unga Wolske involved in QRL rep teams also

Nudgee has a very high profile leaguie in Calvin Pritchard as well as Agassi Stowers and Reece Hewat (borderline now), I'm sure BSHS has a league influence in it's backline, as would Toowoomba and Southport somewhere.

So why does Terrace get singled out, when it only seems to boast a moderate number of code hoppers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King, I don't know where you get your info from but it is often very very wrong. Just one example, It is well known that Sam Edwards has played union for kenmore and GPS since age 11 . He played rep rugby league in yr 6/7 at primary school but has always played club rugby.

will connor

Frank Row (1)
A few things have become clear from trials over the weekend-
- 13A big wins by BBC and BSHS
- 14A Nudgee continues to win by cricket scores . BBC and GT play a draw but BBC is missing many of their boarders
- 15A Lucas is a class act for GT ( they beat BBC by a try) and ACGS continue to win
-16A BBC and NC had big wins
- opens . ACGS. Keep cards close to their chest .NC continue to win. GT have real depth and BBC do not

So predictions for 2014
1st xv ACGS & NC
2nds NC and GT

16A BBC and NC

15A NC and ACGS

14A NC by a cricket score
13A BBC &BSHS

GT 15As beat NC 15as 5 tries to 1, they also won the Gold Coast Cup in the holidays, they must be favourites to take out the 15s.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
King, I don't know where you get your info from but it is often very very wrong. Just one example, It is well known that Sam Edwards has played union for kenmore and GPS since age 11 . He played rep rugby league in yr 6/7 at primary school but has always played club rugby.

Sometimes I do get mixed up Smokin101, you're right.

But Edwards played u16s rugby league for Queensland as well as U16s union last year. In my book that makes him eligible to be counted as a league influenced player if we're listing them

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
Re: Terrace V BBC Trial
Can't take too much from it: both teams short of a full 1st Xv side. BBC did not handle Terrace back-line at all. The BBC scrum was splitting the terrace front row but the ref kept short-arming them. The score 22-19? could have gone either way. A few injuries to BBC, an expensive trial to have one week from the start of the season.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)

But Edwards played u16s rugby league for Queensland as well as U16s union last year. In my book that makes him eligible to be counted as a league influenced player if we're listing them

I try to follow the different codes a bit to see who/what/where - eg my qn a while back re Moseley AFL or rugby #15/10 for NC etc - he's a talented kid. Edwards & RL - nope.
http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2013/04/30/queensland-under-16-team-for-june-match.html

Bring on Round 1

Smokin101

Frank Row (1)

He wasn't in that team. Check website.

NextPropModel

Frank Nicholson (4)
While I'm on this I may as well say it was disrespectful gamesmanship to be well late for the kickoff and then going through the totally unnecessary 'prayer on the knee' stuff to further prolong the wait for GT. Do that in the dressing room if it is important to you and be on time is my comment.

This is your big concern Monday's Expert?? A prayer on the knee? From what I've been told by parents who watched the game, they'd rather have a group of boys praying than the foul mouthed mob of GT boys sitting near them. Effing and blinding, with parents sitting with them, and nobody bothered to pull them up. I'm not religious, but seems to me a parent would a damn side prouder of their boy praying than shaming his school with loutish behaviour.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
This is your big concern Monday's Expert?? A prayer on the knee? From what I've been told by parents who watched the game, they'd rather have a group of boys praying than the foul mouthed mob of GT boys sitting near them. Effing and blinding, with parents sitting with them, and nobody bothered to pull them up. I'm not religious, but seems to me a parent would a damn side prouder of their boy praying than shaming his school with loutish behaviour.

No NPM, it wasn't my big concern, which is probably why it appeared virtually as a post script to the match report and then again only because it was tacked onto an already long wait by the GT side because BBC had mistimed their warmup. I have previously mentioned that in my experience GT and BBC are the worst behaved spectator groups in all of GPS so I am not surprised at your report but I am not wanting to make this the focus of my post. I'm not religious either but I'm sticking to my opinion that the place for this is in the dressing room pre match if it absolutely has to be in your repertoire. Parents from any school who sit and stew through this sort of thing from any school and who can not get up and find a staff member from that school to sort things out really don't deserve a voice here. Let's keep to the rugby.

NextPropModel

Frank Nicholson (4)
No NPM, it wasn't my big concern, which is probably why it appeared virtually as a post script to the match report and then again only because it was tacked onto an already long wait by the GT side because BBC had mistimed their warmup. I have previously mentioned that in my experience GT and BBC are the worst behaved spectator groups in all of GPS so I am not surprised at your report but I am not wanting to make this the focus of my post. I'm not religious either but I'm sticking to my opinion that the place for this is in the dressing room pre match if it absolutely has to be in your repertoire. Parents from any school who sit and stew through this sort of thing from any school and who can not get up and find a staff member from that school to sort things out really don't deserve a voice here. Let's keep to the rugby.

Yes, let's keep to the rugby then shall we? You're the one who brought up the prayer, and in a very snide way, so yes, perhaps we should all just stick to commenting about the game, and leave petty, childish jibes at schools aside. Post script or no post script, it was unnecessary. I promise I won't mention any loutish behaviour again, and you can be assured if I experience it, I'll be bringing it to a teacher's attention, irrespective of the school. My final comment is that if you actually think the BBC boys were late to show contempt for Terrace, you don't know Tom Barker or Steve Phillpotts very well...

Status
Not open for further replies.