• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)

Ok, same site ...

The site says: 16B: TSS 55 d BBC 10; GT d BGS

Yet you listed a score for GT v BGS

Also most 16B teams played and beat BSHS, yet no game is listed in that round between TGS and BSHS. Now it may not have been played, but then we can't count the BSHS games actually played in the Bs if we want to be fair.

Anyway this is pointless. You're probably right that NC won 2013 across the board. I don't have the time to check your stats. Regardless, it would be too complex to work out given just the example above.

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
I realize that the lower grades are subject to player movement up and down from the teams above, but I think it would be good if there were something like a shield or even a pennant for each team to play for in their age and grade. Give the kids a feeling that they are playing for something at least.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
I realize that the lower grades are subject to player movement up and down from the teams above, but I think it would be good if there were something like a shield or even a pennant for each team to play for in their age and grade. Give the kids a feeling that they are playing for something at least.

It's a good idea in principal but it won't happen.

Grade 10 immersion pretty much makes an u15 trophy pointless.

There's a host of other reasons too, but you get the idea.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
So I guess thats it for BBC's title hopes for another year, whats that 60 years now? (Never if you don't include shared premierships, but whos counting?)

Yes that is it Mr Red & black
Let's hope GT and their mosquito forward pack and " exempt "back line can win your 1st premiership since Digby Ione was a " full fee paying " (sic)student.
But you need to get your recruiting game in order to avoid a repeat of this year. Got to start day one year 11 to play in firsts.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
State high pinned them in their half after halftime, grammar couldn't get out with a heavy northgate wind blowing against them. BSHS just got too much possession in the attacking 22 in the end, unfortunately for my tipping.

I think I've just blown my chance to win it

Darvo, always going to be a tough for a team that are struggling to find a flyhalf with a full skill set. Need someone who can kick (with an attacking and clearing mindset) and has a half decent pass with a bit of vision to distribute to his outside backs. I haven't seen this from any of their options during the trial or GPS games so far.

2nds bloke seems to be going alright with some nice touches and good kicking, albeit in a lower grade. Any idea why he doesn't get a shot on the bench at least?

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Ok, same site .

The site says: 16B: TSS 55 d BBC 10; GT d BGS

Yet you listed a score for GT v BGS

Also most 16B teams played and beat BSHS, yet no game is listed in that round between TGS and BSHS. Now it may not have been played, but then we can't count the BSHS games actually played in the Bs if we want to be fair.

Anyway this is pointless. You're probably right that NC won 2013 across the board. I don't have the time to check your stats. Regardless, it would be too complex to work out given just the example above.
I think that's a big "BAZINGA" from Dark Shark to you Tooms.
An aggregate cup is a great idea, and whilst the 1st XV would always be the benchmark, a recognition for the broader programme and the boys not in the firsts would be fantastic. I imagine it would also encourage the schools to focus a bit more on the most important principle of schoolboy rugby - participation.
It works pretty well in the Doughty Shield for Brisbane Club rugby - but given your Tigerland lineage Tooms, I understand how you wouldn't appreciate or realize what it was like to win such an accolade !

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Let's hope GT and their mosquito forward pack and " exempt "back line can win your 1st premiership since Digby Ione was a " full fee paying " (sic)student.
But you need to get your recruiting game in order to avoid a repeat of this year. Got to start day one year 11 to play in firsts.
Another big "BAZINGA" directed at your inane comment Dead Crack ... sorry, Red Black. And to save you the time scrambling for the online dictionary looking up inane - read 'stupid'... maybe even 'adds no value whatsoever '.
This forum is fun tonight !

StewP

Bob McCowan (2)

All AIC teams play for a Premiership pennant from A's thru to D's and even E's if the school can muster numbers.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)

There's an aggregate trophy in the AIC and it takes the results from the A's, B's and C's of each age group (only A's and B's in U16) since schools like SPLC and Villanova can't field any more than that. Likewise, there's points tables for each of those competitions and penants for the winners.

Of course, it'd be dominated by Nudgee every year (correct me if I'm wrong) much like Ashgrove has since its inception.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
I think that's a big "BAZINGA" from Dark Shark to you Tooms.
An aggregate cup is a great idea, and whilst the 1st XV would always be the benchmark, a recognition for the broader programme and the boys not in the firsts would be fantastic. I imagine it would also encourage the schools to focus a bit more on the most important principle of schoolboy rugby - participation.
It works pretty well in the Doughty Shield for Brisbane Club rugby - but given your Tigerland lineage Tooms, I understand how you wouldn't appreciate or realize what it was like to win such an accolade !

He can have it if that's what he wants. There's still incorrect or missing results on that site. I've been around long enough to know that.

I think such a shield would do the opposite. Schools would just recruit from grade 8 instead. Kids who would normally plays As would get pushed down and so a 13B side would be like a 13A side.

I know the kids who play B, C, D, etc ... If someone made their games count some of them would just stop playing.

It's like that AFL idea of a no points round. If it's about participation and fun, them don't put a trophy to it. If we were serious about that, then there'd be no first XV premiership.

Club rugby is different. They're adults who play because that's what they want. Those guys want to be competitive and have a massive crack at winning every weekend. The majority of schoolboy rugby players just want to play.

If you wanted to really make school rugby about participating? Scrap the schoolboys program and run it for clubs by met north, east, etc... Rip schools out of any relationship to rep footy. You'd see a lot of things change then.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Darvo, always going to be a tough for a team that are struggling to find a flyhalf with a full skill set. Need someone who can kick (with an attacking and clearing mindset) and has a half decent pass with a bit of vision to distribute to his outside backs. I haven't seen this from any of their options during the trial or GPS games so far.

2nds bloke seems to be going alright with some nice touches and good kicking, albeit in a lower grade. Any idea why he doesn't get a shot on the bench at least?

It's been an issue ever since you left mate, BGS just haven't been able to find someone who could replicate anything Greene could produce. Sly at 10 was a nice idea, but like you said didn't have the skills to execute. He's always played his best footy at 15 with a bit of extra time, so he'll hold down the fort just fine at the back.

I've never met Jacob Dallas, but from all accounts he seems a talent. He had a trial by fire coming on against Nudgee, 60 points down on Ross Oval though, and he hasn't stuck out as an underperformer.

I believe a kid named Max Buckley (not sold on the name, Max might have been his elder brother) is playing 10 for the Bridge. I didn't pay too close attention to the match, but they did okay to win 4 tries to 1. He must be in line somewhere, probably needs just one more injury.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
He can have it if that's what he wants. There's still incorrect or missing results on that site. I've been around long enough to know that.

I think such a shield would do the opposite. Schools would just recruit from grade 8 instead. Kids who would normally plays As would get pushed down and so a 13B side would be like a 13A side.

I know the kids who play B, C, D, etc . If someone made their games count some of them would just stop playing.

It's like that AFL idea of a no points round. If it's about participation and fun, them don't put a trophy to it. If we were serious about that, then there'd be no first XV premiership.

Club rugby is different. They're adults who play because that's what they want. Those guys want to be competitive and have a massive crack at winning every weekend. The majority of schoolboy rugby players just want to play.

If you wanted to really make school rugby about participating? Scrap the schoolboys program and run it for clubs by met north, east, etc. Rip schools out of any relationship to rep footy. You'd see a lot of things change then.
Fair reply Tooms, and an interesting proposition in changing the focus from schools to regions.
I do have to disagree with you on a number of points though -
  • I also know, and have coached for many years, the kids who play B, C and D rugby, and from my experience, yes they do enjoy playing. What they enjoy even more is winning as part of a team - no matter if it the As, Bs or even Fs, there is nothing more galvanizing and uplifting than busting a gut with your mates, and then talking and re-living the highs the following week at school. Even better if they get some recognition for their collective endeavor. Again, from my humble experience, the boys who don't run on wanting to win, and for that matter, win with their mates, don't seem to participate much past Grade 8 or 9.
  • Hallelujah Tooms - I think , without realizing it, that you may have hit the nail on the head and not have even realized it ! If an aggregate shield means recruiting in Grade 8, bring it on ( incidentally mate, it is rampant already ). Far better to have a scholarship boy start his schooling in Grade 8 and give him a chance to grow and engage in the culture of the school over 4 or 5 years, rather than just one or two ( or a semester as has been the practice by some ), and experience something in the journey other than rugby. While we are at it, how about we then draw the line - no more sports scholarships after Grade 9. Boys get a chance to grow with their school and their peers, and also don't get disappointed when a fly-by-night ring-in, who doesn't give a shit about the school except that it may enhance his pathway to the NRL, is bought in for one season.
  • I don't get your comparison with club rugby - Rugby is rugby Tooms, and players, be they 8, 18, 28 or 58, generally play because they want to - you even suggest that - "adults ... play because that's what they want ..... schoolboy rugby players just want to play. " Agreed - see, we are on the same page !!
  • Rugby , Tooms, is competitive, and last time I looked, there was points, and a winner and a loser, and the former is far more enjoyable - just like everything else in life. The boys know that, and again from my humble experience, respond positively to a win, and also to recognition of their achievements. Lets leave the 'every child wins a prize' at the school fetes and the Ekka.
And before we get too far - Moderators, I know there is another thread on scholarships ( a very Sydney-centric one I have to say ), so I will stop there ..... he started it !!

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)

Sorry mate, but for someone who has his username, you really should know that Digby graduated in 2003 with Terrace winning the first XV undefeated in 2004 (Something BBC haven't managed to do despite nearly 100 attempts). Btw can you remind me who won in the GT v BBC match last year? Its slipped my mind

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Fair reply Tooms, and an interesting proposition in changing the focus from schools to regions.
I do have to disagree with you on a number of points though -
  • I also know, and have coached for many years, the kids who play B, C and D rugby, and from my experience, yes they do enjoy playing. What they enjoy even more is winning as part of a team - no matter if it the As, Bs or even Fs, there is nothing more galvanizing and uplifting than busting a gut with your mates, and then talking and re-living the highs the following week at school. Even better if they get some recognition for their collective endeavor. Again, from my humble experience, the boys who don't run on wanting to win, and for that matter, win with their mates, don't seem to participate much past Grade 8 or 9.
  • Hallelujah Tooms - I think , without realizing it, that you may have hit the nail on the head and not have even realized it ! If an aggregate shield means recruiting in Grade 8, bring it on ( incidentally mate, it is rampant already ). Far better to have a scholarship boy start his schooling in Grade 8 and give him a chance to grow and engage in the culture of the school over 4 or 5 years, rather than just one or two ( or a semester as has been the practice by some ), and experience something in the journey other than rugby. While we are at it, how about we then draw the line - no more sports scholarships after Grade 9. Boys get a chance to grow with their school and their peers, and also don't get disappointed when a fly-by-night ring-in, who doesn't give a shit about the school except that it may enhance his pathway to the NRL, is bought in for one season.
  • I don't get your comparison with club rugby - Rugby is rugby Tooms, and players, be they 8, 18, 28 or 58, generally play because they want to - you even suggest that - "adults . play because that's what they want ... schoolboy rugby players just want to play. " Agreed - see, we are on the same page !!
  • Rugby , Tooms, is competitive, and last time I looked, there was points, and a winner and a loser, and the former is far more enjoyable - just like everything else in life. The boys know that, and again from my humble experience, respond positively to a win, and also to recognition of their achievements. Lets leave the 'every child wins a prize' at the school fetes and the Ekka.
And before we get too far - Moderators, I know there is another thread on scholarships ( a very Sydney-centric one I have to say ), so I will stop there ... he started it !!

Yeah there's many points of view on it and they're all valid. Life's not black and white so I think it's fair to say we can both be right and wrong.

As for the club rugby thing ... I guess what I mean is, you don't have your parents driving you to training or the games. You don't have all 100+ friends in your year playing at the same place at the same time, let alone having a whole day of rugby your connected to via the school.

I see it at colts. The recently graduated turn up and realise there's no crowd, no fancy gear or fields, the coach isn't going to hold your hand and be nice because he's working for a school. Fundraising has to happen, there's no P&F. I could go on but you get the idea. Blokes playing club rugby want to play much more than a lot of schoolboys!

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
Yeah there's many points of view on it and they're all valid. Life's not black and white so I think it's fair to say we can both be right and wrong.

As for the club rugby thing . I guess what I mean is, you don't have your parents driving you to training or the games. You don't have all 100+ friends in your year playing at the same place at the same time, let alone having a whole day of rugby your connected to via the school.

I see it at colts. The recently graduated turn up and realise there's no crowd, no fancy gear or fields, the coach isn't going to hold your hand and be nice because he's working for a school. Fundraising has to happen, there's no P&F. I could go on but you get the idea. Blokes playing club rugby want to play much more than a lot of schoolboys!
My 13 year old son got driven to club rugby on the week-end. And i'm pretty sure the other 1050 juniors at Easts all got driven as well. Every team right down to division six play for points and a premiership. Doesn't seem to have impacted on the participation rated playing club rugby.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
My 13 year old son got driven to club rugby on the week-end. And i'm pretty sure the other 1050 juniors at Easts all got driven as well. Every team right down to division six play for points and a premiership. Doesn't seem to have impacted on the participation rated playing club rugby.

For clarity I'm talking about senior and colts footy, people not at school.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Pretty sure this thread is about school boys. Thanks for explaining your comment is irrelevant.

Mate if you're going to make inane comments at least understand what's being said.

We're talking about a shield for whole of school results. The senior club rugby thing is just one tangent from that discussion.

What happens to schoolboys when they leave school and go to colts is very relevant. We want then to stay playing rugby, and there's a tonne of reasons why they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.