• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruckhudson

Peter Burge (5)
Kids learn from very young that rugby is played for fun but its more fun when you win.
No matter if there is an official premiership or not everyone playing knows exactly where they sit on the "table" every game (especially in GPS rugby).
Even in club under sixs where there are no premierships the coach, parents and kids want to win and know where they sit on the unofficial table.
If they dont want a winner why do they keep score???

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Kids learn from very young that rugby is played for fun but its more fun when you win.
No matter if there is an official premiership or not everyone playing knows exactly where they sit on the "table" every game (especially in GPS rugby).
Even in club under sixs where there are no premierships the coach, parents and kids want to win and know where they sit on the unofficial table.
If they dont want a winner why do they keep score???

No you're spot on. The majority of kids know, they look at results, etc. No one is arguing to stop tracking the score in a game.

In the context of the discussion we're having about an all school shield it's just another emphasis on winning we don't really need.

It's fine if a bunch of kid's in a school's 15 C team want to keep an unofficial table and brag about winning it ... But if you then made that official and have it count to an all school shield, it would be asking all the kids across all the schools to pay attention. It's drawing attention to winning when before it was just an informal and fun addition to the competition.

I'm not sure if my point is coming across clearly, but I'm not sure how else to say it.

ruckhudson

Peter Burge (5)
I get it and disagree whole heartedly. A whole of school aggregrate is fantastic as it gives all the kids in all the games something to play for. And means more emphasis on supporting the lower grades. I know it is a really important thing in AIC and witnessed the 1st XV get there early to support a 14C team (i think) as it meant a better spot in the aggregate even though the school was only going for second as first was well and truly won by that stage by marist ashgrove. The boys love it..

It does surprise me GPS does not have this for Rugby and if your view winning is what it is why dont we just leave the athletics or swimming title to be decided by only the open relay.?

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
It does surprise me GPS does not have this for Rugby and if your view winning is what it is why dont we just leave the athletics or swimming title to be decided by only the open relay.?

That's a fair point that one.

I'm still opposed to it, but that's my personal view but if it was an option I'd like to see how an all school shield plays out. I'd be skeptical however.

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
The simple mistakes hurt BBC . Nudgees first 2 tries were from BBC kicks that failed to find touch. The 3rd try came at 13 to 5 with BBC applying plenty of pressure on Nudgee try line and BBC 2 throws a wild fling pass to winger which leads to try at other end .if defence is about attitude then Nudgee have plenty of it. On my figures BBC in 3 games have missed 11 out of 14 shots for goal .
BBC centres were given no room to move by Nudgee and 15 was totally closed down also.
I was concerned in the last 20 watching Gunter I thought he was going to collapse just walking to the scums.Is he unfit or hurt again.If unfit he needs to do some old fashion running.
The kicker for the last two games did not play in BBC game against TSS but had played in some trials and kicked successfully.
He is 16 I am told and played well on the wing against TG and Nudgee.
He was not given any indication by Barker that he would get a run in the 1st's kicking.
But after having no kickers in the team against TSS he was brought into the team.
I am hearing that he has stayed after training and kicked till dark for 2 weeks and has the talent BUT nerves have gotten to him.
They also had a kicking coach with him last week to tweek his kicking.
Hope this didn't effect his individual style.
I am sure all the 1st's are showing him support as I hear he is a great kid.
Sounds like an induction of fire to me.
Either way if over the last two game he had kicked the goals BBC would not have won.
Nudgee looked worried and hated any tackles made by BBC and came out fighting a few times.
Was a much improved BBC with less dropped ball.
Nudgee should have won by a lot more with so much ball in the first half.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Monday Ex,
Good analysis on how how to undo our East Brisbane, cheque book wielding, shiny guy cousins. TGS have plenty of ticker no doubt about that. Your point about being able to ruffle the feathers of even the best 17/18 year old players is well made. I find it hard to believe that some of these First XV coaches don't concentrate more on making life a misery for the opposition 9, 10 and 12. Lots of drifting in defense and standing off waiting for switch balls should be replaced with some good old fashioned, in your face, niggle.
From all reports BBC with some more focus and better execution of the basics could well have taken the game up to NC and maybe even away from them. As the NC boys got distracted by BBC putting some hits on and putting pressure on.
I think you're right, this comp has some upsets left in it and IGS, BBC, GT and TGS are all capable of providing them.

rugbyhead01

Stan Wickham (3)
New to the forum and having a chuckle at some of the posts here and find it interesting on what people “think” they know. I also went to the TGS and ACGS game and what a game it was. I was sitting with both TGS supporters and Churchie supporters and know boys on both teams (I am a TGS supporter however). It was interesting hearing from both camps during the game though. Yes, there were a few questionable refereeing decisions which frustrated one half of my companions, however our TGS boys really came out firing and should be proud of their efforts and are only going to improve each week. Mondays Expert is correct in saying the end result was imminent when ACGS scored while one man down. ACGS did lead by more than 20 points at one stage but TGS never gave up with in your face defence and attitude to boot and at home, will upset a few teams I think.

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
Nudgee looked worried and hated any tackles made by BBC and came out fighting a few times.
Was a much improved BBC with less dropped ball.
Nudgee should have won by a lot more with so much ball in the first half.

Are you sure you were watching the same game as me?! It was BBC who looked rattled by some massive tackles by the NC numbers 11, 6, 3 and 8 to name a few; especially the BBC 8 who knocked the ball on continuously in the big tackles ...... In regards to NC coming out fighting, are you referring to the numerous late tackles on the NC 10, who still managed to get the ball out every time, despite his treatment; including being pushed into the stand out of play at one stage?!

I agree Nudgee should have buried BBC in the first half as BBC were going backwards at a million miles an hour....

Smokin Joe

Frank Row (1)
Yes NC were far superior over the ball up front and in the backs, BBC on the other hand lacked experience on the field from what it looked like amongst other things.

BBC pack looked unfit and provided small efforts around the paddock once they could catch their breath. Very obvious with BBC front row 6 & 8 although the 8 showed some heart....question, does the BBC coach believe in interchange? there were guys off there feet with only 5 minutes into the second half which was a shocker at this level and made very little impact. Maybe it could have been a lot closer if a few changes were made?

That BBC 9 though has to be made of rubber band or something he just kept bouncing back!!

Smokin Joe

Frank Row (1)
BBC 2nds were woeful in the end after putting up a good fight in the first half.
They did show some depth in the forwards with the blonde second rower, he worked hard and the open side flanker ran and defended really well with some great hits and looked like he could have played another game. They pulled him off early for some reason and then the gates opened up after unavoidable changes.

BBC Backs Jess & Johnny? well that's what I could hear people calling out anyway, were the best backs on field for BBC.
NC just exposed them open rugby and then on the 1, 2, 10 channel breaks galore, sometimes simple rugby with attitude is how its done. Nothing flash about NC 2nds but more committed to the rucks and around the corner. Robbie at hooker is small but tenacious!! Great kid

swillo5

Bob McCowan (2)
I've been reading a while mainly to get game reports and see how the GPS comp is shaping up.

This thread is dominated by posts/discussion about BBC. About 50%. seems disproportionate given there are 9 schools in the comp and given that BBC aren't performing.

Is there just a lot of BBC people on here or am I missing something about BBC this year?

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
Yes NC were far superior over the ball up front and in the backs, BBC on the other hand lacked experience on the field from what it looked like amongst other things.

BBC pack looked unfit and provided small efforts around the paddock once they could catch their breath. Very obvious with BBC front row 6 & 8 although the 8 showed some heart..question, does the BBC coach believe in interchange? there were guys off there feet with only 5 minutes into the second half which was a shocker at this level and made very little impact. Maybe it could have been a lot closer if a few changes were made?

That BBC 9 though has to be made of rubber band or something he just kept bouncing back!!

Barker was the same last year. Seems he will only interchange to cover injuries. Agree there are some unfit forwards running (or walking more like) around for BBC.

L Yates

Herbert Moran (7)
[quote="swillo5, post: 646074, member: 5866"]I've been reading a while mainly to get game reports and see how the GPS comp is shaping up.

This thread is dominated by posts/discussion about BBC. About 50%. seems disproportionate given there are 9 schools in the comp and given that BBC aren't performing.

Is there just a lot of BBC people on here or am I missing something about BBC this year?[/quote]

Does it really matter?Maybe you could go on a membership drive for whoever you support.

underdone

Peter Burge (5)

BBC pack looked unfit and provided small efforts around the paddock once they could catch their breath. Very obvious with BBC front row 6 & 8 although the 8 showed some heart..question, does the BBC coach believe in interchange? there were guys off there feet with only 5 minutes into the second half which was a shocker at this level and made very little impact. Maybe it could have been a lot closer if a few changes were made?

I have seen a lot of hard players in this comp over the years, the #9 for BBC would have to be up there with the best of them, obviously that's why they promoted him to Captain for the Nudgee game.

swillo5

Bob McCowan (2)
L. Yates... It was just a query champ.

I have no affiliation, just a rugby fan... Thus my question.

Anyone got a sensible answer or is it just the case that many on here are BBC Supporters? No issue with that, mine was a genuine query about the background as to the interest in the BBC team.

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
L. Yates. It was just a query champ.

I have no affiliation, just a rugby fan. Thus my question.

Anyone got a sensible answer or is it just the case that many on here are BBC Supporters? No issue with that, mine was a genuine query about the background as to the interest in the BBC team.
Imagine if they actually won a few games. For a school that is famous for trying to buy a premiership this year they don't seem to be doing to well.

Jamo

Bob McCowan (2)
My prediction igs will win one game this year against bggs a shame , down to the culture of igs focused just on athethics , and have got sub standard teachers trying to get a few dollars more to coach rugby - and doesn't it show

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
IGS have got sub standard teachers trying to get a few dollars more to coach rugby - and doesn't it show

It's funny to compare the coaching standards of the two schools you've mentioned.

The grammar schools of Ipswich and Brisbane have completely disparate views.

I'm currently coaching the Grammar 16C/Ds, and each Wednesday afternoon we're visited by a guest coach.

Last week it was former Fijian test Captain Moses Raulini to run the Cs and Ds backline through their paces.

The week before that we had Souths head coach Michael Broad drop by to help out our forwards.

Also on the roster of rotating coaches are FoxSports own Greg Martin, and former Wallaby Julian Gardner (forwards coach of the First XV), who does a session with every single team to look at their scrummaging. Alec Evans comes around every so often to terrify the younger boys, and Phil Mooney was a big influence on the BGS Rugby pre-season camp. EDIT: Lachie Turner has also appeared to help out with the coaching.

On top of that all-star coaching panel, Brothers head coach Anthony Matheson coaches the 16A's, assisted by Tim Holzgrefe who coaches Queensland II each year.

Carl Marshall is the backs coach at Brothers as well as Queensland I coach, and he handles the 15As.

Damon Emtage was backs coach for the Reds under Phil Mooney, charged with the development of the up and coming young guns that won the Super Rugby title, and now coaches the First XV.

When you throw me in the mix as well it's a pretty talented coaching staff! Results may not go so well this year (BGS have won something like 6/50 games over the first 2 rounds, I haven't heard the stats for round 3), but rest assured Grammar are building for the future.

There won't be another 20 year wait between premierships, I can guarantee that

Jamo

Bob McCowan (2)
And who are you ? Doesn't really matter , I was talking about dub standard coaches within the igs system trying to earn a few extra dollars , with you only mentioning the people they have got on to help , only substantiates what I said the igs teachers / coaches are not up to it - and they have to get outside help - which was always the case but the igs coaches are getting paid for it , just a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.