• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thumper

Bob McCowan (2)
Put a thought out here for rugby purists, I have been following GPS rugby for a few years, why is it that when reading the rugby reports from several schools and match reviewers that the glory seeking ball runners continually get all the praise and points. Surely the vaunted rugby brains understand ball runners don't exist without the grind work (yes I am an ex prop).
Do not miss understand my intentions, I love to see the winger/outside backs and ball running forwards fanging down the field, swan diving for the try line, but surely you coaches and point givers must give some credit to the beat up, broken nosed mugs who scrounge the ball for those pretty ball running boys. Backs I understand not wanting to mess up the brylle cream (or what ever product they use these days) hair do's, but you forwards who stand back and don't engage the enemy just so you can get the next run, and the next and the next, shame on you and a kick in the arse for the coach for allowing you to.
None the less I am loving the quality of rugby these boys are putting out on the field.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
Does anyone know how the current makeup of Australian Super Rugby sides relate to the Schoolboy program versus everyone else.

Any idea?
There is no relationship whatsoever between Australian Super rugby sides and school boy program's. Unlike NRL where there is a clear pathway after school with strong U19 and U21 competitions that feeds directly into the clubs, rugby boys are consigned to an under funded and poorly resourced colts program, where hopefully they do enough to be picked up by a Super rugby franchise sometime into the future. It is no wonder there is such a drain of talent away from rugby to league. League boys have a much clearer and more defined pathway to get to the elite levels of their sport...... if they are good enough of course.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Does anyone know how the current makeup of Australian Super Rugby sides relate to the Schoolboy program versus everyone else.

I guess it pretty much boils down to private school versus public schools students, and while crude that's still a good indicator of the conversion rate.

Any idea?

Well, looking at the 26 man Reds squad for 2014 listed on their website,
Anthony and Saia Fainga'a (St Edmunds, Canberra), Dave McDulig (Riverview), Lachie Turner (Newington), Beau Robinson (Bathurst), and foreign developing JJ Taulagi (Auckland Grammar) were developed outside of Queensland.

Of the 20/26 remaining, Nick Frisby (Marist), Blake Enever (Sunny Coast Grammar), Ben Daley (All Saints ON THE GOLD COAST*) and Ed O'Donaghue (Marist Rosalie) were produced outside of the GPS.

For the Western Force there are 5 GPS Reps - Angus Cottrel (BBC), Junior Rasolea (ACGS), Hugh McMeniman (NC), Richard Brown (NC), and Luke Morahan (TSS) in the squad.

In the Brumbies there are 8, with Jarrod Butler (TSS), David Pocock (ACGS), Stephen Moore (BGS), Josh Mann-Rea (NC), JP and Ruan Smith (TGS), Joe Tomane (NC), and Matt To'omua (BSHS) all graduating from GPS schools since 2000.

The Waratah's boast only 3, with Mitchell Chapman (BGS), Jono Lance (TSS), and Matt Lucas (GT) the sole representatives.

The Rebels boast 5, with Paul Alo'Emile (BSHS), Sean McMahon (NC), Scott Higginbotham (TSS), Sam Jeffries (NC - elder brother of current First XV lock Nick), and Ben Meehan (BSHS).

All up, 36 Queensland GPS players in roughly 150 professional rugby spots in Australia. That's not even counting the numbers of people like Digby Ioane (GT) and James O'Connor (NC) currently playing overseas.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Not completely true Nightmare. I know of more than a few boys have "signed" contracts while being 14/15/16. These are more than just t-shirt deals and involve the receipt of money.

Correct . But usually only once they turn 15. I know 2 boys in the qld state of origin under 16 team that have confirmed this.the real issue is when other clubs like the roosters then try and buy out the contract for more money.

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
Put a thought out here for rugby purists, I have been following GPS rugby for a few years, why is it that when reading the rugby reports from several schools and match reviewers that the glory seeking ball runners continually get all the praise and points. Surely the vaunted rugby brains understand ball runners don't exist without the grind work (yes I am an ex prop).
Do not miss understand my intentions, I love to see the winger/outside backs and ball running forwards fanging down the field, swan diving for the try line, but surely you coaches and point givers must give some credit to the beat up, broken nosed mugs who scrounge the ball for those pretty ball running boys. Backs I understand not wanting to mess up the brylle cream (or what ever product they use these days) hair do's, but you forwards who stand back and don't engage the enemy just so you can get the next run, and the next and the next, shame on you and a kick in the arse for the coach for allowing you to.
None the less I am loving the quality of rugby these boys are putting out on the field.

Couldn't agree more. At the GPS trials I noticed that more often than not the 1's and 3's were lined up on the wing. The hard work at the breakdown seemed left to others. When I asked one of the boys why the forwards were staying wide, he said that that's what the coaches wanted, so that they could run on to the ball and crash the line. The boys eventually picked for both QLD front rows were the most obvious at doing this throughout the trials. It seems now that that is how GPS is being played these days as well.

NextPropModel

Frank Nicholson (4)

Love your work!

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
My tips for Round 4 /16 Aug 2014

ACGS v NC
Churchie by 3
However, if it rains, Nudgee by 7

GT v IGS
GT by 7

BSHS v BBC
State High by 3

BGS v TGS
TGS by 10

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
How did Fraser McReight (AKA Snacks) go at #12 for BGS on the weekend? Up to the standard?

Snacks had a solid game. Good carries, reliable defence and competed well considering his age, running great lines and getting over the advantage line. Battling an injury for most of the match. Word has it that he'll be undergoing a position change for this weeks game vs TGS.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
Opinions from the parish this week. Currently 7/8

Churchie v Nudgee

Match of the round - probably one of the matches of the season. This is a hard one to call. NC have had the bye and doddle v BSHS and then were made to work harder than they needed to v BBC but were not as slick as they'd like to have been. Churchie have had unpressured try fests against two schools with nowhere near their $1M hired gun budget and then had TGS turn them into a rabble by bringing the contest to them. This will be a battle of the breakdown and a contest of will and nerve. I'd be kicking every penalty within range and considering some well placed bombs to unsettle the wingers who will feel the pressure of a crowd I'd tip will nudge a good few thousand. I think the NC forwards will just shade Churchie but unless there is calculated pressure from NC on the ACGS 9-10, the game could be won by the Churchie backs. I'm going to say Nudgee by 3 in a cracker because their luck is about to change in big games. How scary that TSS will be there to a man and filming the whole thing in preparation for hosting ACGS in two weeks time in a match that will be bigger than Christopher Skase's oxygen bill.

GT v IGS

Ipswich are still capable of upset but their big pack must fire consistently for this platform to be laid. I think GT will have too much across 1-15 and the GT running game should expose the passengers in the IGS pack by the ends of both halves. GT by 12.

BSHS v BBC

This week my crystal ball says the White Elephants will shake off the shackles of 3 rounds of under performance and chalk up their first win. SH should look to play to the flanks and expose the woeful BBC offensive and defensive lineouts and grind their way up the field. The only thing surer than Rolf Harris' farts have no sound anymore will be the likelihood that BSHS kids will go home with Mercedes hood ornaments snapped off BBC cars. BBC by 7

BGS v TGS

TGS have taken the "unbeatable" Churchie side to the edge of the precipice last week and should have gained a lot of heart from this. Grammar will turn up, go through the motions and have their mind on the forthcoming QCS test. TGS by 15

Sam Hauser

Sydney Middleton (9)
Round predictions:

TGS vs BGS:
With a massive pack tgs are going to be dominant and get over the advantage line every phase, and a strong backline capable of finishing the job off. TGS by 15

BBC vs BSHS:
BSHS missing a few names mcnamara, southern and kalapu, BBC back to full strength bar one in the second row. State high will have go forward through their big pack and BBC just as good in the backs. A tough game. BBC by 5

GT vs IGS:
Will be a tight game, but IGS mobile and big pack to get them over the line, as well as the X factor in the backs. GT hardly competitive in the forwards and will rely on big names in the backs to get a win. IGS by 10.

ACGS vs NC:
The talk of the round, I'm backing NC to get redemption on ACGS turf. Both packs capable of winning the game, but NC composer and structure against BBC was outstanding and I'll bet on NC forwards running over their tries up against a smaller and less experienced ACGS pack. Mosley's boot to get them lots of metres and outside backs good enough to finish the job off. NC by 10

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Moseley is the key ... Kicking And passing game ... Mac mason below pat this year and if Churchie attack the 13. - 15 channel
They might be in which a chance. ... I like the forwards at NC and if it's wet which I predict NC by 2... BSHS to get close to BBC in the wet but not good enough ..GT ouch reality check this week in the wet.. 13a BSHS to win .... 14a NC to win big and 15 a BBC to out a cricket score on BSHS

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just as an aside to the predictions for this bound-to-be-exciting next GPS round: in Brisbane anyway, heavy rain is currently forecast for Saturday arvo.

If so, could predictions need updating?

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Just as an aside to the predictions for this bound-to-be-exciting next GPS round: in Brisbane anyway, heavy rain is currently forecast for Saturday arvo.

If so, could predictions need updating?

Rain is simply the great leveler ... Terrible sides suddenly become a real chance in the rain!

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
TGS defensive structure and constant kick for territory game plan will be the order of the day against BGS who may simply hate the conditions and just want the day to be over and done with. TGS by 7-15

GT on paper should win this match after their 35 to 18 win against Downlands last weekend. Same same again. GT will be looking for a strong kicking game from Horan to get them downtown on a wet pitch and look for errors or turnover ball from Moroney. If IGS pressure Horan and stifle this kicking game then I think it turns into a massive forward battle and thats where IGS have the cattle. Lots of nervous people from GT but I think GT should get over the line. To predict a score will be difficult as depends on what Horan provides on the day and what IGS allow him to do. GT by 1-12

I must have missed something as the BBC v NC game was brutal. I had the privilege of meeting players from both teams and it was no easy game by any standards. Earlier posts suggest issues with the BBC 10 spot which is destabilising direction in both attack and defence and I have to agree. Delivery of pass to the 12 is late and when the 10 crabs across, the 12 running line was initially aimed at 1 maybe 2 people, to which by runs end is around 4. Set piece, field position and discipline will be the order of a very cold and wet day. I hear BSHS have some key players out. I hear that BBC have all key players available. Comes down to the first 10 minutes of the game. If BBC start slow again, the massive heart shown from BSHS and home ground support will prevail. If BBC turn up, not just in the forwards but as a 15 and dominate time and space around the set piece FROM THE WORD GO, then I think BBC will win. Once again score range hard to predict will go BBC by 5-15

What an absolute belter this game will be and I read that maybe the TSS lads will be sitting in the crowd watching their intending prey. For me it's a Nudgee win. Utterly impressed with that Mosely (NC 10), his monster kicking game and his leadership of his 12 - 13 particularly in defence. The forwards will belt each other ( thats if NC are fully recovered after last week ie shoulder injury to Mafi) so it will come down to direction on the field. Once again I may have missed something but the player of the match for the NC-BBC match was clearly the NC 9 in Pilz. He was everywhere. His ability to read an oppositions game plan is incredible and he just seems to be there if a chip kick is on or a player gets through the line. His communication and ability to direct ALL his players is fantastic and the best that I have seen. Churchie will have their home crowd going off. Be interesting though if it's pouring how many end up staying on to watch if NC get in front early. Absolute belter of a match. NC to win by 12

Great forum. Trust everyone enjoys their weekend

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Moseley is the key . Kicking And passing game . Mac mason below pat this year and if Churchie attack the 13. - 15 channel
They might be in which a chance. . I like the forwards at NC and if it's wet which I predict NC by 2. BSHS to get close to BBC in the wet but not good enough ..GT ouch reality check this week in the wet.. 13a BSHS to win .. 14a NC to win big and 15 a BBC to out a cricket score on BSHS

Home ground advantage should be enough to get Churchie home RD. Whilst I thought the NC forwards were good, some of the option taking from the NC 10 and 12 cost them tries at the back end of the first half against BBC.

Digby, you saw the BBC 13As last week - "Best U13 backline you have ever seen" was the quote. Can you see State High rolling them?

Have heard that NC 14A team is very good, so I'll agree with you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.