• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Just on half way through the 2015 season - in under age teams the undefeated teams remaining are:-

16A's - NC
15A's - NC, GT
14A's - GT, BBC, BSHS
13A's - GT, IGS, BSHS

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
I could not agree more the dominate teams in the lower age groups from what I have seen definitely have a size advantage. On a skill level, ability is fairly well spread between the big and little kids. Sure there a bigger kids that will go on to great things but there will be a lot more fall off the radar. I don't know what these schools are trying to achieve by stacking these teams with giants for their age, to physically dominate the smaller teams. Its a bit like putting up a D9 against a Fergie Tractor in a tug a war, of course the D9 is going to win you would be worried if it didn't.

There are plenty of little guys out there that still have a fair bit of growing to do, out there running around in the A and B teams that are holding their own in a lot of cases giving up over half there body weight to some of the other boys currently making an impact.

Yet the schools these boys a coming from are spending the time on developing these kids they are taking a long term view and are looking to reap the rewards later. To me just going out and finding the biggest team you can put together in either U13 or U14 is just short sighted and lazy how it makes a good Rugby program is beyond me but maybe I am missing something.
They are going out and picking good rugby players. Some of them happen to be big. They aren't going out and picking big players. The top players a IGS and BSHS aren't big. In fact, I consider the BSHS team quiet small. So this big player thing you keep referring to I don't know where you get it from.

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
Lazy recruitment .really .. so are you going to guarantee us that the other schools arent going to find some front rowers and tall players for that age group in later years .lol.. i know we will at BBC ..
Poor churchie/nudgee parents.. maybe you should take your model to the reds. ..lol
In all honesty, Churchie are alway going to have small under age teams.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
FWIW I don't think there is anything wrong with viewing GPS Rugby as a 5 year journey .

And I don't think there is anything wrong with doing your utmost to build a winning culture in your age group early.

As far as recruitment is concerned ....get it done in Year 8 and 9 and let it ferment

Insofar as Coaching is concerned and catering for the local full freight fee troops that have possession mentality.....yeah they are owed something .....invest in Coaching and let them play with and develop with earlier talent maturation

It's not either or .........it's actually both

And the art is melding both together and getting everyone on the same Culture Page

And punting Dad Coaching past Junior School

ACT

Stan Wickham (3)
The NC U15 team are poorly coached this year . but dont you judge players on how effective they are in their age groups. how they contribute to the program .eg results and years playing first . lol they will be the backbone of NC program for the next 2-3 years.

Unsure about the word poorly - one would say "neglected", prior to the start of the season the person that was appointed to coach the U15s left and the current ones were selected.

These guys had prior commitments to there prospective schools, therefore they came first and the U15s 2nd......this was evident when watching the U15 at the first few warm up matches and the Rugby Director was running the team. He didn't do too bad either!

IMO the current coaching staff have no where near the same impact or grunt on the u15s this year as what the coach last year (U14s) did, he had this team working off all cylinders at every game, hence the large point differentiation. Current coaches are lucky that the individual brilliance of the players are getting them across the line, that includes the boys that are/have been playing up from the B's (well done, you deserve your spots in the A's!).

I agree that there have been some very interesting selections in different positions on the field, I think this shows how much the coaches don't know about the boys individual strengths, this has impacted performance but could seriously cause injury to certain players if they haven't traditionally played or have been coached properly in these demanding positions. This could mean a few things, 1. building for the future NC 2. filling in positions for players that are injured or 3. they don't know, that they don't know?

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Unsure about the word poorly - one would say "neglected", prior to the start of the season the person that was appointed to coach the U15s left and the current ones were selected.

These guys had prior commitments to there prospective schools, therefore they came first and the U15s 2nd..this was evident when watching the U15 at the first few warm up matches and the Rugby Director was running the team. He didn't do too bad either!

IMO the current coaching staff have no where near the same impact or grunt on the u15s this year as what the coach last year (U14s) did, he had this team working off all cylinders at every game, hence the large point differentiation. Current coaches are lucky that the individual brilliance of the players are getting them across the line, that includes the boys that are/have been playing up from the B's (well done, you deserve your spots in the A's!).

I agree that there have been some very interesting selections in different positions on the field, I think this shows how much the coaches don't know about the boys individual strengths, this has impacted performance but could seriously cause injury to certain players if they haven't traditionally played or have been coached properly in these demanding positions. This could mean a few things, 1. building for the future NC 2. filling in positions for players that are injured or 3. they don't know, that they don't know?

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Etal, you key board critics need to find a real cause.
Let us say these coaches, teaches, uni students, old boys that you attack get paid.
Let us say that they work 18 weeks each season coaching times three days a week times two hours each session= 108 hours.
Now let us say that these coaches work every game day on a Saturday x eight games times 1.5 (Union rates) x 6 hours minimum= 72 hours.
Now let us not forget that admin and paper work is done at night plus game reports, meetings etc, I will allow 30 hours.
If I was to estimate, give or take care, compassion and duty of care, 250 hours. Now let us say they do get paid. Let us say $2500 a season. I will let you do the sums..... Stuck $10 per hour per coach, if they are paid at all.
To my weekend warriors, get your levels, get your safe rugby, get your blue card, get your armour and join the coaching staff of any of these colleges. Teachers do this for the love of the boy! The vocation (look it up) is hopefully to educate the young man in all facets of life. Honour, integrity, respect, loyalty, and sometimes to win or lose with grace.

ACT

Stan Wickham (3)
Etal, you key board critics need to find a real cause.
Let us say these coaches, teaches, uni students, old boys that you attack get paid.
Let us say that they work 18 weeks each season coaching times three days a week times two hours each session= 108 hours.
Now let us say that these coaches work every game day on a Saturday x eight games times 1.5 (Union rates) x 6 hours minimum= 72 hours.
Now let us not forget that admin and paper work is done at night plus game reports, meetings etc, I will allow 30 hours.
If I was to estimate, give or take care, compassion and duty of care, 250 hours. Now let us say they do get paid. Let us say $2500 a season. I will let you do the sums... Stuck $10 per hour per coach, if they are paid at all.
To my weekend warriors, get your levels, get your safe rugby, get your blue card, get your armour and join the coaching staff of any of these colleges. Teachers do this for the love of the boy! The vocation (look it up) is hopefully to educate the young man in all facets of life. Honour, integrity, respect, loyalty, and sometimes to win or lose with grace.

Ahhh...so fatigue is to blame?.....didn't have this problem with last years coach.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ahhh.so fatigue is to blame?...didn't have this problem with last years coach.

ACT - Why don't you wait until the end of the season and see how they end up ? Rugby in year 10 at Nudgee and terrace is pretty disrupted with immersion & state champs. All the boys are back (besides injuries) now- be interesting to see how they perform.

ACT

Stan Wickham (3)
ACT - Why don't you wait until the end of the season and see how they end up ? Rugby in year 10 at Nudgee and terrace is pretty disrupted with immersion & state champs. All the boys are back (besides injuries) now- be interesting to see how they perform.

Well lets see then, starting with tomorrow.

Kepu

Herbert Moran (7)
Following an injury sustained last week against 'Woomba, Fraser Suffren (#14) will miss this match at the prestigious Ross Oval.

Backup winger Wilson Gough also sustained an injury to his ankle during the weekends fixture. This means that Matthew Barakat (2XV #5) will be playing wing against NC. He played winger and centre in the 16A's last year. He's a big fella so hopefully he will make the game a touch more interesting out wide.

ACGS 1XV (15/08):
1. Angus Wagner
2. Jacob Williams
3. Joel Kuchel
4. Harry Hockings
5. Ashley Whitehead
6. Henry Sharp
7. James MacMillan
8. Sam Wallis
9. Matthew Oberholzer
10. Brodie Croft (C)
11. Joel Papa
12. Jaydn Su'a
13. Tristan Stanghon
14. Matthew Barakat
15. Jake Mason

Kepu

Herbert Moran (7)
Late predictions for R5 (15/08):

BBC def BSHS by 15: State High will be raring to get another win on the board following their solid win over Grammar last week. BBC will be feeling worse than Nick Kyrgios after a post-match media session following the loss against NC. The BBC parents will be more hacked off than a mosquito in a room full of mannequins and have arranged a meeting throughout the week to discuss possible plans to take out the premiership. After endless discussion it was decided the best idea was to disguise themselves as Churchie mothers to distract the Nudgee boys this weekend at Ross. Despite the surprising lack of parental support BBC will come out on top.

TGS def BGS by 30: The TGS boys will be happier than Steve Hansen following the release of the Wallaby XV after the arduous battle at Range Rover's spare showroom. BGS will be more pissed off than a dragon trying to blow out candles this week after loosing their best opportunity to win a game this season. TGS will come out hot just like last week against ACGS and blow the Grammar boys over.

ACGS def NC by 5: You can call me crazy on this one but Churchie have had a good recent history of causing upsets on Ross, in particular defeating the eventual premiers at Nudgee's home turf in 2013. Also, last years 16A's (now 1XV, duh) convincingly beat NC 16A's 28-0 if I remember rightly.

IGS def GT by 6: IGS, as per usual, have had a tough early run this season consisting of 3/3 losses. Despite their loss last week to TSS, they came off better than GT the week prior. After seeing both teams play throughout the season, I am calling the boys from Ippy to pick up a solid first win at home.

N

NotJustGps

How has Stanghorn been playing? Heard he's only in grade 10, what is the future looking like for him at schoolboy level?

Kepu

Herbert Moran (7)
How has Stanghorn been playing? Heard he's only in grade 10, what is the future looking like for him at schoolboy level?

He's been playing rather well considering his lack of experience at the top level. His pairing with Su'a has worked well and his continuos penetration of the opponents back line week after week shows that he's in good stead for a very successful penultimate year in 2016 and hopefully a schoolboy's debut in the year following.

Status
Not open for further replies.