• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Reminds me of the 103-0 thrashing BSHS dished out to BGS back in 2009 (?)

Dont get too cocky RB that team will put 60 to 80 on a few other schools before year is out.Helps when you have 6 or 7 of the best Qld primary school league team in a decade in your team .

Speaking of brilliant league players those 3 boys who enrolled at GT last week ( all related) and starting term 4 or next year are sensational players. Let me pick GT for under 15 premiership,next year and go close in 1st xv in 2018.
A number of schools after them ( as a package) but GT won the race. They are really out there recruiting and not just anglo- saxon boys from Cav Rd or Wavell High .

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Sometimes I just don't know about Ngamanu.

He's the fastest player on the field whenever he plays, but his go-to move is to step off his outside foot, force his defender to plant and then beat him by accelerating to the outside.

Works a treat when he's got space in the wider channels, but beating defenders laterally every time just doesn't work.

As evidenced by the Nudgee game. He blew past them on a few occasions, but more often than not was dragged to the ground harmlessly. He even took a few big shots from Tony Hunt, Nudgee's 2014 winger turned centre in 2015.

One thing I forgot to ask Phillpots that I'd been meaning to was whether BBC's go to exit strategy in the first half was meant to be those short kicks, or whether that was Kris Verevis having a crack himself. He would have done it six times through the game, chip and chasing out of his 22.

Combine those turnovers inside their half with the shithouse handling errors, BBC never had a hope in hell of winning the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)

He's the fastest player on the field whenever he plays, but his go-to move is to step off his outside foot, force his defender to plant and then beat him by accelerating to the outside.

Works a treat when he's got space in the wider channels, but beating defenders laterally every time just doesn't work.

As evidenced by the Nudgee game. He blew past them on a few occasions, but more often than not was dragged to the ground harmlessly. He even took a few big shots from Tony Hunt, Nudgee's 2014 winger turned centre in 2015.

One thing I forgot to ask Phillpots that I'd been meaning to was whether BBC's go to exit strategy in the first half was meant to be those short kicks, or whether that was Kris Verevis having a crack himself. He would have done it six times through the game, chip and chasing out of his 22.

Combine those turnovers inside their half with the shithouse handling errors, BBC never had a hope in hell of winning the game.

He is quick on his feet but he tends to run sideways a lot beating his opponents not sure about his ability to really break tackles. In saying that still a fine footballer on the field and a great asset on any team.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
A great asset on any schoolboy* team.

Breaking for the outside with every touch runs his outside support out of room.

Disciplined defences will flex to accommodate, but not break, as evidenced by Nudgee on the weekend.

If Phillpots hasn't coached it out of him after three years in the First XV squad, his lateral running is probably a major turn-off for a professional team looking to sign him straight out of school.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from TSS v IGS here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100900132@N02/sets/72157656866599252

20368633806_bdf4a145ee_b_d.jpg

20368782596_ea84a50639_b_d.jpg

20404236111_313f0a8c92_b_d.jpg

20389638212_28e5c20960_b_d.jpg

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)

TheKing
You have to give credit to the Nudgee defence.
They pressured the BBC backs into silly errors.
Ngamanu, Verevis and Raoren tried hard, but were well contained.
Ikitau clearly lacking match fitness.

Thumper

Bob McCowan (2)
Any news on how jack Farrell fared against Nudgee, have been tracking his and Angus Allens form through the comp, Allen tore the Ippy ruck apart with absolutely no help from the ref and made some telling hits and runs.
Gotta be the two best open sides getting round.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
He is quick on his feet but he tends to run sideways a lot beating his opponents not sure about his ability to really break tackles. In saying that still a fine footballer on the field and a great asset on any team.
You probably mean a great asset to any " school" .A polite humble young who is a real role model to many young boys at the school.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
A great asset on any schoolboy* team.

Breaking for the outside with every touch runs his outside support out of room.

Disciplined defences will flex to accommodate, but not break, as evidenced by Nudgee on the weekend.

If Phillpots hasn't coached it out of him after three years in the First XV squad, his lateral running is probably a major turn-off for a professional team looking to sign him straight out of school.

that Mr King , is probably why he has an ARU 7s contract rather than a reds.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Any news on how jack Farrell fared against Nudgee, have been tracking his and Angus Allens form through the comp, Allen tore the Ippy ruck apart with absolutely no help from the ref and made some telling hits and runs.
Gotta be the two best open sides getting round.
As much as Nudgee , across the board , were a German Panzer Tank Division yesterday ....I thought Jack Farell , for me , was the pick of the BBC forwards on a very difficult day . Chris Yanopa 2nd. BBC were just pounded on the game line in attack and defense and Nudgee, once they had front foot ball , could do whatever the hell they wanted

BBC's backs were trying to create something out of nothing ( as they had to ) so I wouldn't be casting diss on Kris Verevis - who I believe tried to do whatever the hell he could and find something to spark BBC . He's that kind of player so he wasn't out of character . Jayden Ngamanu can also only do so much and in a heavily marked afternoon where BBC didn't really have much front foot ball he did what he could .

He is still quality as are KV and Jack Farrell

It just wasn't their day yesterday and Nudgee just did what champion teams do

I can't see TSS doing them

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
i got to watch the 14A match on Saturday and I can tell you it will take a good side to beat that BBC team. That backline is electric. What impressed me the most was that they do not rely on 2 or 3 man- childs but use teamwork and ball movement to win. The right winger scored 3 tries and all in the corner ; he did not cut back inside once - just pinned his ears for the corner .
Brought back memories of the great Brendan Moon.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Blue and White re :BSHS and the best RL in a decade

4 - by my count -not 6 or 7. Two forwards and two backs ( one of whom is out with a broken leg )

They do have 1 or 2 others that were Met East RL

Not you, per se , but there is a bit of embellishment around this "team of a decade" label and who and how many where etc

I hear one of them that is in your neck of the woods is coming your way next year

One of the Terrace signings you refer to in your earlier post is another that will give Terrace 2 from this " team of the decade"

Ipswich have 2 I think but also a few of Met West RL team as well - all of whom are quality young players

Having seen it all up close Ipswich have the best of it , for now , IMO

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The great thing about the BBC 14A's is that a decent number of their pack have been at the school in a time range since Prep to Grade 5

A couple of local boys came along in Grade 8 to join

A great example of organic growth and development from within and in the under layer of external recruitment and melding the two together , early, to make it work .

Probably the flagship team in the overall program behind the First XV

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
5 rep boys.biased selections!!!
Blue white blue
bluewhiteblue, Saturday at 5:52 PM Report

No bluewhitblue it is not biased selection. After watching the GPS trials, the Queensland trials and the Nationals the people selected were the best available.

The important word here is available. The coaches put the players forward and the players play in the trails. There are a number that may of been injured at the time, a number that wanted to concentrate on school rugby and therefore did not trial. You must also remember that the school combinations may bring out the best in some players (not for BBC this week!) but trailing with "strangers" does nothing for their individual performances.

So the 5 selected did play very well and deserved their selection.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
King, it was the pressure that was telling for the NC v BBC game.

Rugby is essentially a game of pressure and how an individual and teams cope with that pressure. It you have good technical skills and experience then you will be able to cope with the pressure dished out and probably win the game. If not then you end up like BBC did on the weekend. Nudgee are very aware of this fact.

In addition the ability to read and have "good" reaction to pressure often leads to a more conservative style of play or outcomes.....like throwing to you best lineout jumpers in the first 5 of a lineout inside your 22m or kicking the ball OUT inside your 22m.....or not overplaying a good run and being patient to score. These are basically playing simple rugby really well. And that's what Nudgee does well and consistently. Then they use pressure to score and to put the opposition off their game.

Some great coaching staff down at Nudgee over the last 5 years that understand these concepts well.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
As I have previously mentioned the draw will be critical and just not who is played (for that is the same order every year, once removed) but where it is played. I still think NC has the best draw. Whilst they have the holy trinity (BBC, Churchie and TSS) coming up, it is where they are being played which is important.

As Luck would have it, the three of the four most dangerous opponents are all played at Nudgee (TGS, BBC and Churchie) whilst the fourth is at TSS where Nudgee historically have had some good success.

Historically the teams that usually present issues for NC are (in order) Churchie, GT and to a lesser extent recently TSS. Churchie and GT are teams that grow something in playing NC. For Churchie you can never underestimate them. You need to get them down and not release your foot from their throat! They have been probably the most tenacious group of footballers in the competition, not necessarily the best skilled but just don't give up. NC v GT is like a sibling battle, need I say more.

I think if NC keep their main players (still left) on the field then they will win. I think whilst some of you think that TSS bye in this round is a good thing, I think it may be problematic for them. How many times have we seen the leaders of a competition go down in a semi-final because of there position and the week off? The answer, quite a few! And as Reece Hewat said he feels the side was scratchy in the first two rounds and are starting to get some rhythm (god help the opposition if they find all the rhythm). NC will be running hot with games whilst all TSS can do is train. The hard game this week for NC (barring injury) will only strengthen their resolve and their rhythm.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
King like your take on the NC backline? They are unusual aren't they? They seem to be going slow but it's really quick; the first try was a great example, with the BBC #15 not even coming close to tackle the try scorer.

I jested to some of them (NC backline) that the opposition need to bring a net on the field to catch them!

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
On the back rowers...... I think NC has the best back row. They run hard, they tackle well, they hunt well, they jump well, fast to the break down etc. All these skills were on show on the weekend, probably the best they have played as a unit.

Next I would rate Churchie, even though I think Wallis can be a little "light" for a #8; ....by this I mean, well probably the best way to describe it is at the nationals, where the opposition found it very easy to tackle and lift him; this is either that he runs too high or else his top half is weightier then his legs... therefore his centre of gravity is high. Don't worry, I think he is a very good footballer just light when it comes to the bigger competitions. Maybe Churchie are playing 3 flankers?

Next equal is BBC and TSS. Both have very good #7 and competent #6 but lacking in the #8 compared to NC and Churchie. However in saying that I think Ben Gunter had a good game on the weekend. I will report back on Jack Farrell once I review the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.