• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Finally I would like to thank Mr & Mrs Appleby for their contribution on the weekend. It was brave and raw, and above all made quite a few people in the audience (players included) take note that rugby is only a game and that life is the most precious commodity of all!

For those that were not aware on the weekend BBC and NC played for the inaugural "Halley Appleby" cup. Halley was a Nudgee student that was tragically killed in a first grade (premier) game playing for University v GPS in 2011. It was a described as a one in a billion situation where the ball squirted out from a ruck Halley went for the ball and sustained a neck jury (similar to that sustained by cricketer Phil Hughes). He was by all reports just your average happy young man, similar I'm sure to all our boys, just enjoying life when it was tragically taken away.

There was great emotion and sense of loss within Ryan Hall. The delivery by Mr Appleby touched everyone in the room. Therefore just a moment to think of safety of all our young men and hope they have many good years ahead of them. I can not think of a better way to honour his life than in the game that he loved. The contemplation of the what happened I cannot even fathom to think of, yet alone bare what the Appleby family has endured.

TB KingPin

Stan Wickham (3)
Great game between Churchie and TGS on the weekend! Toowoomba's #15 stood out with 4 tries and saved just as many in a man of the match performance. Ashton Watson did well to control Sua even though he crossed for 2 tries i think Watson held him well giving the reputation he has. Hamish Stewart played very physical and lead from the front as he does week in week out.
A dominating performance was also shown by the #1 from TGS with great ball carriers which lifted the entire forward pack to triumph over the churchie pack.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Great game between Churchie and TGS on the weekend! Toowoomba's #15 stood out with 4 tries and saved just as many in a man of the match performance. Ashton Watson did well to control Sua even though he crossed for 2 tries i think Watson held him well giving the reputation he has. Hamish Stewart played very physical and lead from the front as he does week in week out.
A dominating performance was also shown by the #1 from TGS with great ball carriers which lifted the entire forward pack to triumph over the churchie pack.

TGS Fanboy

Murphys Law

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sage, definitely agree with a lot of what you are saying here. After watching the two games of the week IMO Nudgee vs BBC and TGS v ACGS. Who wins this year will all come down to the forwards, so one would have to say Nudgee are favourites for now. A lot of people rated BBC backs as the best in the comp, however Saturday Nudgee showed that if your forwards dominate and pressure is put on, that's all that matters. Reece Hewatt was outstanding as already mentioned and is the best number 8 we have. Same reviewing TGS and ACGS. IMO ACGS have the most lethal 10 & 12 in the comp, even more evidenced in game against TGS. However the forwards were just a too slow. If they can get that right, they are a formidable pack who are capable of competing against Nudgee, TSS and BBC. I actually don't agree TGS were the better team in all aspects as one kick was the difference, and I counted 6 times that ACGS were just stopped cm's from the line or over the line - credit to TGS defence, but credit to Churchie's attacking ability also.

Ross Oval will be buzzing on Saturday, Churchie wanting to stay in the comp and Nudgee wanting to put their boogie team to rest.

P.S - I don't think the bye will hurt TSS too much. They are a classy outfit and with a few niggling injuries - time is on their side.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
TB KingPin, 10 minutes ago Report
Hey TB KingPin, so did Harry (#1 for TGS) play? I love the way he plays his footy and can be quite a handful as he was with NC. He is the cornerstone for the TGS team; if he's in then they can have a chance to win, if not well....
Watson and Stewart are also very good footballers; against NC Stewart had to do so much defending which I think may have detracted from his other aspects of his play.

Murphys Law

Allen Oxlade (6)
Harry played well and was hard to handle. Love his style. Croft probably is more exciting in attack than Stewart, but Stewart was outstanding in stealing the ball. I wasn't that impressed with Watson though and felt Sua definitely won that battle easily. I note Watson did put on a try saving tackle on the line on Sua, but Sua had easily bamboozled him first to make the break. Line breaks between the two would have been about 10 to maybe 2 and Watson didn't take any chances. The TGS fullback showed great speed in attack. The big difference in that game, was the unforced mistakes by Churchie in the first half, which gave TGS brilliant field possession and they were able to turn that into points, leaving Churchie to adapt their game to stay in it.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Just a brief note on the NC performance over the last two weeks. The #2 & #9 have had an outstanding time of it.

The #2 Blake Schoupp showing courage in defence, throwing the ball in the line out almost perfectly every time (YES, finally a #2 that can do it!!!!!), scrimmaging well; even taking a few balls up to help the attack. Everything you could ask of him. Well done that man!

The #9 Jack Smith, I take my hat off to him. I don't know him too well but let's say he started a little slowly in the trials, but I think he is a player that requires a little confidence (as you would playing with some of the schoolboy legends of the day). He has stuck it out and now is becoming a key cog in the machine. His delivery has improved out of sight, his connection work is starting to take real shape and if someone makes a break (if no loose forward is there) it's Jack who is throwing his body on the line. Well done. And well done to the coaching staff and the players for giving him that support he required.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
The #2 Blake Schoupp showing courage in defence, throwing the ball in the line out almost perfectly every time (YES, finally a #2 that can do it!!!!!), scrimmaging well; even taking a few balls up to help the attack. Everything you could ask of him. Well done that man!

Well said.The lineout was superb.
Was it 3 or 4 BBC lost on own throw?

No back up hooker = no depth = same old story.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So, its now down to Nudgee, TSS, or Churchie as far as outright or shared winners. I think Churchie could drop another vs BBC, but may not and may also beat one of the other 2. But realistically 2 horse race.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Sage I didn't get a chance to pick up a program on the weekend. Could you list Nudgee's starting team please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I lost my program as well. Sure about the NC guys; don't know of the BBC listing.

Team list FirstXV BBC v NC
1.Christensen 1.J Ireland
2.Yanopa 2.B Schoupp
3.Foulds 3. G Luka
4.Swain 4. J Dalle Cort
5.Hope (?)5. D Verryne
6.Middleton 6. K Meni
7.Farrell 7. T Zappala
8.Gunter 8. R Hewat
9.Verevis (?) 9. J Smith
10.Raoren 10. A Ranginhua
11.Carswell 11. S Armstrong
12.Seabrook (?) 12.T Hunt
13.Ikitau 13.
14.Stead 14. T Meni
15.Ngamanu 15. S Tupou

Write a report tonight.

phil samson

Frank Row (1)
An interesting observation from thee weekend regarding Churchie under 16A. They have a small but mobile back however have some real standouts that will put them in good stead for next year. There No. 10,4 and 9 where outstanding. The 9 and 10 combination really took control of the game. With the players that are in the first XV this year that will be there next year have them poised for something special. I understand this they this age group have some real depth and throw in Sharp, Stanghon, Mason and Suffren and Churchie could be back on top in 2016.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Mate I'm going to take care of my report for that game tonight, did you say you'd watched ACGS V TGS? Would you fancy giving that a crack first, and I'll put it up on the front page - that way we wouldn't be doubling up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taipan

Chris McKivat (8)
I lost my program as well. Sure about the NC guys; don't know of the BBC listing.

2.Yanopa 2.B Schoupp
3.Foulds 3. G Luka
4.Swain 4. J Dalle Cort
5.Hope (?)5. D Verryne
6.Middleton 6. K Meni
7.Farrell 7. T Zappala
8.Gunter 8. R Hewat
9.Verevis (?) 9. J Smith
11.Carswell 11. S Armstrong
12.Seabrook (?) 12.T Hunt
13.Ikitau 13.
14.Stead 14. T Meni
15.Ngamanu 15. S Tupou

Write a report tonight.

5.Xavier Vela-Tupuhi(BBC)
13. S Armstrong
11. W Malala

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks Taipan....you must have my Program! :)

OK King I'll start again.

2.Yanopa 2.B Schoupp
3.Foulds 3. G Luka
4.Swain 4. J Dalle Cort
5.Vela-Tupuhi 5. D Verryne
6.Middleton 6. K Meni
7.Farrell 7. T Zappala
8.Gunter 8. R Hewat
9.Verevis 9. J Smith
11.Carswell 11. W Malala
12.Seabrook 12.T Hunt
13.Ikitau 13. S. Armstrong
14.Stead 14. T Meni
15.Ngamanu 15. S Tupou

TB KingPin

Stan Wickham (3)
TB KingPin, 10 minutes ago Report
Hey TB KingPin, so did Harry (#1 for TGS) play? I love the way he plays his footy and can be quite a handful as he was with NC. He is the cornerstone for the TGS team; if he's in then they can have a chance to win, if not well..
Watson and Stewart are also very good footballers; against NC Stewart had to do so much defending which I think may have detracted from his other aspects of his play.

Yes harry played in his first game back from hurting his shoulder against Nudgee.
I have to agree about Hamish against Nudgee, he is a former #7 who is very good in defence and formidable at the breakdown. Croft's attack is bloody good and with Sua outside Hamish and Ashton were always going to have their hands full

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Thanks Taipan..you must have my Program! :)

OK King I'll start again.

2.Yanopa 2.B Schoupp
3.Foulds 3. G Luka
4.Swain 4. J Dalle Cort
5.Vela-Tupuhi 5. D Verryne
6.Middleton 6. K Meni
7.Farrell 7. T Zappala
8.Gunter 8. R Hewat
9.Verevis 9. J Smith
11.Carswell 11. W Malala
12.Seabrook 12.T Hunt
13.Ikitau 13. S. Armstrong
14.Stead 14. T Meni
15.Ngamanu 15. S Tupou

11.B Simpson (BBC)
9. I Henry (BBC)
12. Carswell (BBC)
14. Verevis (BBC) wasted on wing, should have been halfback in my opinion.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks Taipan and Taipan168! You get all that King (the teams list completed in NC v BBC 3 above)??

So King want me to cover ACGS v TGS? Ok then guys teams list for ACGS v TGS on the weekend please!

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
NC v BBC Firsts team list

1. Ireland 1. Christensen
2. Schoupp 2. Yanopa
3. Luka 3. Foulds
4. Dalle Cort 4. Swain
5. Verryne 5. Vela Tupuhi
6. K Meni 6. Middleton
7. Zappala 7. Farrrell
8. Hewat 8. Gunter
9. Smith 9. Henry