• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIKEATIGER

Stan Wickham (3)
As a sideline Interesting info coming through MARIST AShgrove is playing league in 2016.... Looks a bit like the QRU ignoring their grassroots? Who's asleep at the Wheel there.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
“They said they’d never make it”, but the boys from the range weren’t listening to the pundits as they eked out a 33-31 win over their more fancied Churchie rivals (ACGS). There was a fair sized crowd at East Brisbane on a wonderful winter’s day to watch if Churchie were going to be real contenders and step forward for the title this year.

First half

The first scoring opportunity occurred in the third minute after a TGS mistake part way between their 10m and 22m. From the scrum Churchie were able to string together seven pick n drive phases before some traction and a nice run by the Churchie #15 Frazer Suffren took them to within 5m from the TGS line. A “fumbley” pass was gathered by the #10 before he switched the ball back inside to the ever present #12 Su’a who fended two “would be” tacklers to score adjust to the posts. The conversion was successful and gave Churchie an early 7-0 lead.

The change of possession soon after the kick-off came from an error from the try scorer and TGS spent the next 6-8 or so minutes camped in the Churchie red zone. There were a number of good forward runs from the TGS #1, #6 and #8 to push the TGS claim closer; Churchie were constantly infringing the ruck with the referee “barking” advantage at every carry, but they were able to quell the advance.

When the ball finally came Churchie way they were unable to clear the 22 with a kick and this provided the opportunity for the TGS #15 whom had already made a couple of jinking runs and put Churchie back defending inside their 22 m. Four phases later the TGS backline made three draw and passes which located the #15 for TGS outside his opposite number and a clean pair of heals to score. The conversion was successful and after 13 minutes of play it was all tied up at 7 apiece.

For the next 5 minutes the play and possession was maintained between the 22 m lines, with a couple of nice runs; one of note from the Churchie #13 but he was stopped just short of the line and a penalty relieved the pressure for TGS. The forward packs were fairly evenly matched with line outs, scrums and rucks going the way of the possession holder.

However the Churchie scrum was a little more dominant and on more than one occasion had the TGS pack edging back. This could have been off-putting for a number of backlines, but provided the next opportunity for TGS as the Churchie backs in their eagerness “overran” the play and allowed #10 Watson to make a break which landed TGS inside the 22m. The ruck saw a pass to #1 Harry Hoopert and then onto #15 who crossed over in the corner. The conversion was successful and after 19 minutes it was 14-7 to TGS.

TGS dominated the next period of play and made the vantage line on just about every carry. Churchie were stuck in a tackle-a-thon with no way out. This lead to really good retention of possession for TGS and lead to a snipping run on the blind, by that man again #15, and another try in the corner. Another good conversion made it 21-7 to TGS after 25 minutes.

Churchie had to be the next to score as this game was starting to run from their grasp. As luck would have it the kick-off was fumbled and possession returned to Churchie. From a penalty and good lineout win (Churchie #6) the ball with looping pass the Churchie #10 Croft was able to allude and slip through the tiniest of holes to score. The conversion was successful giving a score of 21-14 to TGS in the thirtieth minute.

Churchie would of have been happy with this score line, given their limited possession, and how TGS was playing. However, another failure to clear their line, another offside and the penalty push Churchie back again. The lineout was won, a well structured forward moving maul and the #6 scored TGS’s fourth try of the half. The conversion was unsuccessful and left the score at 26-14 TGS way. Churchie had one more chance due to a dropped ball but were unable to convert the opportunity.

HT: ACGS 14 TGS 26. TGS had control of this game and the weight of possession and their ability to convert this into points was going to make a win for Churchie hard.

Second half

The second half found both teams “upping the tempo” somewhat and TGS through controlling the ball and penalties found themselves deep in attack again early in the second half. However a dropped ball right on the line stopped the movement and started the change in momentum back to Churchie. Churchie were able to retain possession and poor line speed and marking allowed a very “fleet-footed” #13 Stanghon to beat the line, run 40 m where he dished the ball off to a very willing #12 Su’a to run 20m to score. The conversion was successful and the score line after 6 minutes was Churchie 21 TGS 26.

Again Churchie indiscretions, both offside and at the ruck, were providing TGS the opportunities at critical points in the game. And so it was in the 9th minute when a penalty given for not rolling-away was kicked to the corner and from the ensuing lineout and ruck the TGS #9 was to cut-out pass to the ever present #15 for a try in the corner. The conversion was successful and had TGS out to 33 points to Churchie’s 21 after 11 minutes.

It was from this point that Churchie started to string a number of meaningful possessions after what must of seemed an eternity of defending to date. From the kick-off they retained possession within forward (rucking) and found themselves with room and a snipping run from the #10 to beat the forwards in defense and scoring in a handy position midway between the posts and the sideline. However the conversion was missed and left the score at TGS 33 Churchie 26 in the 15th minute.

An error by TGS from the kick-off made the Churchie momentum and self-belief grow further; a very dangerous sign for any opposition! The Churchie scrum was becoming more dominant and a turn-over at the TGS scrum base may have shifted the momentum back to Churchie, but it didn’t. The game entered a phase of repeated attacks and counter-attacks in which no one team was able to gain the upper hand with errors stifling any progress in the score.

This phase of the game lasted for some 11 minutes until a scrum for Churchie on the TGS 10m line. This provided an opportunity for some interplay between the Churchie #9 and #10 (the #10 was halfback for the move) with Su’a a decoy allowed for the #10 to outpace the defense, who were “man watching” and run 40m and only be held up 3m out. Then Churchie cranked it up with their traditional pick n drive and in almost no time at all they were OVER! The conversion was missed and the score was TGS 33 Churchie 31. What a final 10 minutes was in store for the good sized crowd.

Errors once again started to creep into the TGS backline and Churchie was willing to take full advantage, with yet another 45m run by #10 Croft which landed him over the line but unable to control the ball. NO TRY! scrum. Churchie had “all hands on deck” and TGS were in for a torrid time in defense. Churchie were held up a number of times (#8 Wallis twice within a minute), but TGS were determined to hold-on. A penalty in the last minute inside the 22 could have provided for the win, however, Churchie opted for a scrum. Time after time they raided the TGS line, and time after time they were repelled. In the end time won out and Churchie faced their first defeat of the season. A wonderful game of schoolboy rugby all round.

Full-time score: Churchie 31 - TGS 33

The Players

Best for their teams

Churchie: #3, #6, #8, #10, #12, #13 & #15. The best was Croft whom kept Churchie in the game for longer than their controlled possession would have normally allowed.

TGS: #1, #2, #5, #7, #8, #9, #10 & #15. Hard for this one, Harry Hoopert had a great game, whilst #10 Watson was also instrumental however the man of the match performance #15. He just wanted to be where the ball was all day, he defended well and ran the ball with speed and purpose.

The wrap-up

Toowoomba in the end probably deserved to win today’s game; with the weight of possession and control they created some good team tries. That said, Chuirchie also had their opportunities but I felt untimely indiscretions and some lack of patience in attack, particularly in the last 10 minutes may have cost them. It was a credit to Churchie’s tenacity in the second half performance that they made the game so close after a 12 point deficit in the first.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
As a sideline Interesting info coming through MARIST AShgrove is playing league in 2016.. Looks a bit like the QRU ignoring their grassroots? Who's asleep at the Wheel there.
LIKEATIGER, Yesterday at 10:48 PM Report

That does not surprise me. There are quite a number of kids playing GPS Rugby who are on Rugby League scholarships. So maybe Ashgrove felt that either the competition is better for them in League or maybe they are catering to a new crowd of Rugby League junior players. We will wait and see.

It is a pity however to see a grand 'ol rugby school like Ashgrove having to make that decision. Part of the problem I think is the concentration of players to GPS rugby at the detriment of other school systems.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
does anyone know the Terrace XV from the weekend? i was at tennyson to watch my little brother play the Terrace u13s, who i hear from A-E havent lost a match so i then stayed behind to watch the 1sts and they were very impressive.

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
does anyone know the Terrace XV from the weekend? i was at tennyson to watch my little brother play the Terrace u13s, who i hear from A-E havent lost a match so i then stayed behind to watch the 1sts and they were very impressive.
When are they playing Ippy Grammar or BSHS?? How do you think GT 13's will go?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sage #1626
Maybe after this round we could get some updated predictions for the season??

It will pretty much be all said and done after round 6 (NC vs TSS GF).
All seems to have gone quiet after ACGS lost their first game this past weekend and BBC lost their second. My early predictions for this coming weekened are:
NC hosting ACGS (NC by 15+)
IGS hosting GT (IGS by 7 or less)
BBC hosting BSHS (BBC by 10+)
TGS hosting BGS (TGS by 15+)
TSS bye.\

P.S. Anyone doing a post review on the TSS vs IGS game?

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Still a lot to play for.

BBC and Churchie will call the season an abject failure if they don't finish 3rd - so the next round will be a cracker over at Casa el Grande East Brisban-o.

And of course the bikini line waxers vs the Boondall Bears is the GF next weekend as well.

That's of course unless Churchie do the unthinkable against Nudgee this week and the whole Southport team goes for a surf with Mick Fanning at J Bay on their bye this week.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)

Yes Smart little 13 A team with some new RL boys.
Make sure you watch them play IGS & BSHS . Then watch them play BBC for 3rd.place.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
are Ippy grammar and State High both undefeated as well? and does anyone have the GT 1st XV lineup from the game against Downlands?

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes.
Gary Owens will know
but BSHS put 100 on BGS & IGS put 90 odd on ACGS.
BBC & GT are putting 35 or 40 on most schools(including NC) and IGS beat them by 40 so it may get ugly when BSHS/IGS play other than GT/BBC.
This was predicted back in FEB.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
EDIT : U13 REPLY ( FOR OLD MATE OLD SCHOOL )

Thank you Gungenia

Terrace haven't been blowing teams out by 35 to 40 .

They've had Churchie ( 12 v 5 ) in Round 1 , Grammar ( 26-0 ) in Round 2 and TSS ( 17 v 10 )

BBC did Grammar 48-12 in the last trial before the 1st week of GPS without 3 x significant starters who between them add a lot defensively and are probably good for another 20 points a game- and that's the real misunderstood element of this team for the casual observer . There are a lot of different weapons , and so , the easy mail of "crowd the 10" ultimately doesn't work as it just heats up other strike weapons in the overplay of one point - but yes , 10 in his own right is a beast anyway

BBC did TSS 38-12 in Round 2 and TGS 31-12 in Round 3 and Nudgee 48-17 in Round 4

Churchie have been a bogey team for this team over the last few years , and , I still have great respect for a lot of their forwards and a couple of their backs that I am aware of from Club Competition .....so Churchie are not to be taken lightly despite their 97-0 result against the latest NRC entry from Ipswich Grammar :)

Terrace always play with great spirit and are always well prepared and well coached . But the 2nd half of the season is going to be a massive challenge for them with IGS , TGS, BBC ,Nudgee and then State High last - whoa!

Nudgee are not too far away from Terrace . They are a good team with good size in the forwards who showed great commitment. Terrace backs have the edge. Check back on this team in a couple of years . They'll be fine

TGS are definitely no pushovers and I see them competing for 4th place this year. Note well their 40-5 result over Churchie last weekend v Terrace's 12-5 result over Churchie in the 1st round , and BBC's 31-12 result over TGS . TGS are however a well drilled team and definitely have a couple of X factor backs that you underestimate at your own peril. Terrace have to get past them after IGS to guarantee at least 4th spot before the so called "play off for 3rd" consolation prize . Mind you , BBC have to get past Churchie on the same day ,and on the form , you would think this is likely - but nothing is over until its over.

I guess BBC and Terrace both have deliverance day this Saturday with games against State High and Ipswich Grammar respectively .

Will be interesting to see if Terrace can fare better than a 46 point margin to what BBC could manage in Round 1 against Ipswich Grammar.

Best of luck this Saturday to both teams

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Nice little write up GO, but can you guys throw in a little u13 or u14 etc in your posts so we (I) know what age group you're talking about. Especially for old heads like mine who have spent way to many times at the bottom of a ruck and can't recall which age you're talking about, just in case I feel like sticking an oar in, cheers.

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
EDIT : U13 REPLY ( FOR OLD MATE OLD SCHOOL )

Thank you Gungenia

Terrace haven't been blowing teams out by 35 to 40 .

They've had Churchie ( 12 v 5 ) in Round 1 , Grammar ( 26-0 ) in Round 2 and TSS ( 17 v 10 )

BBC did Grammar 48-12 in the last trial before the 1st week of GPS without 3 x significant starters who between them add a lot defensively and are probably good for another 20 points a game- and that's the real misunderstood element of this team for the casual observer . There are a lot of different weapons , and so , the easy mail of "crowd the 10" ultimately doesn't work as it just heats up other strike weapons in the overplay of one point - but yes , 10 in his own right is a beast anyway

BBC did TSS 38-12 in Round 2 and TGS 31-12 in Round 3 and Nudgee 48-17 in Round 4

Churchie have been a bogey team for this team over the last few years , and , I still have great respect for a lot of their forwards and a couple of their backs that I am aware of from Club Competition ...so Churchie are not to be taken lightly despite their 97-0 result against the latest NRC entry from Ipswich Grammar :)

Terrace always play with great spirit and are always well prepared and well coached . But the 2nd half of the season is going to be a massive challenge for them with IGS , TGS, BBC ,Nudgee and then State High last - whoa!

Nudgee are not too far away from Terrace . They are a good team with good size in the forwards who showed great commitment. Terrace backs have the edge. Check back on this team in a couple of years . They'll be fine

TGS are definitely no pushovers and I see them competing for 4th place this year. Note well their 40-5 result over Churchie last weekend v Terrace's 12-5 result over Churchie in the 1st round , and BBC's 31-12 result over TGS . TGS are however a well drilled team and definitely have a couple of X factor backs that you underestimate at your own peril. Terrace have to get past them after IGS to guarantee at least 4th spot before the so called "play off for 3rd" consolation prize . Mind you , BBC have to get past Churchie on the same day ,and on the form , you would think this is likely - but nothing is over until its over.

I guess BBC and Terrace both have deliverance day this Saturday with games against State High and Ipswich Grammar respectively .

Will be interesting to see if Terrace can fare better than a 46 point margin to what BBC could manage in Round 1 against Ipswich Grammar.

Best of luck this Saturday to both teams
You say that you respect Churchie 13 A's as a rugby team, yet in their last two game they have had 170 points scored against them and haven't scored a single point themselves.

BSHS 13's in three games have scored 228 points for and 5 against.
Ipswich Grammar A's in three games have also scored 228 points for and 14 against. Every other team seams to be not even in the same ball park as these two teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.