• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Look at American Football for example

Johnny Unitas and Joe Namath from a 20 year period from mid 1950's to mid 1970's - 6'1 to 6'2 and late 80kg to 90kg for a top line NFL Quarterback

Roger Staubach to Joe Montana - 6'3 and 90kg

The present ......Cam Newton , Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer - 6'5 and 107kg to 111kg

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
But back on point - Bigger Schoolboy 9 and 10's ?

I think it will be hard into the foreseeable future

Unless Schools open up their Sporting Programs more and more

Adolescent growth and resultant adult capacities are perhaps too latent for this to occur

Big Centres have been all the rage in Schoolboy Rugby over the last 10 to 15 years or so and as soon as they lose a step in pace it's off to the tight 5

But the underlying point of kids who have early physical maturation not developing the skills as fully as what they should ( because they don't have to ) at an early age is also part of the equation

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some good points Gary. I have heard of coaches (might sound odd) that look for boys with "big butts" as this displays a certain athletitism or sporting characteristic.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
The King #268
"Gunter definitely headed to Japan for a trial. He was invited because Toyota scouts spotted him tearing up in the Sanix Tournament.

There was a story in the papers about him leaving, but no follow-up story announcing he had signed.

Reckon your sources might have gotten mixed up between the two?"

I heard, Gunter + AN Other were touted and both are on 1/2 Scholarships in Japan.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
The King #268
"Gunter definitely headed to Japan for a trial. He was invited because Toyota scouts spotted him tearing up in the Sanix Tournament.

There was a story in the papers about him leaving, but no follow-up story announcing he had signed.

Reckon your sources might have gotten mixed up between the two?"

I heard, Gunter + AN Other were touted and both are on 1/2 Scholarships in Japan.

no he got the call and leaves April,on a contract

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
But back on point - Bigger Schoolboy 9 and 10's ?

I think it will be hard into the foreseeable future

Unless Schools open up their Sporting Programs more and more

Adolescent growth and resultant adult capacities are perhaps too latent for this to occur

Big Centres have been all the rage in Schoolboy Rugby over the last 10 to 15 years or so and as soon as they lose a step in pace it's off to the tight 5

But the underlying point of kids who have early physical maturation not developing the skills as fully as what they should ( because they don't have to ) at an early age is also part of the equation

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
I thought your comments made a lot of sense. If we have a log jam of good nines going through such as Tuttle and Wall perhaps we need to shake it up with a big Nine and ten. I am not sure what this year's crop from GPS Schools will produce but I think the big nine and ten with ball skills and a footy brain might be something really special.

Danny Jnr

Bob McCowan (2)
There is 2 No 9's who played First's last year who are running around again this year. They are from TGS and Churchie. IMO I thing they will be the standouts as I thought they were good last year. They will better for the experience. I think the TGS 9 is in the under 18 emerging Reds.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
There is 2 No 9's who played First's last year who are running around again this year. They are from TGS and Churchie. IMO I thing they will be the standouts as I thought they were good last year. They will better for the experience. I think the TGS 9 is in the under 18 emerging Reds.

The BBC 9 is back as well and he is a very big number 9. The boy who would have played 9 but broke his ankle is back as well

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
The BBC 9 is back as well and he is a very big number 9. The boy who would have played 9 but broke his ankle is back as well

Where is the mongrel in our game. On one side you could say we are competent and big but watching the Reds we have no go forward.
Where is the young Tony Shaw?
Absolute belief and aggression is required

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Dropped little bro off at cricket last Thursday and drove past the BBC open rugby squad training( minus the rowers).
probably not surprised to see the fittest two there were ............... Nance ( at around 50 ) and Drahm ( who the Reds could use)
Good to see Ikatu ( Aussie schools) and Simpson ( Qld) running freely. gee they missed those 2 last year.lost to TSS and ACGS by less than 5 . Surely those 2 would have made the difference.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I recall Ikitau did nothing when BBC were pumped by Nudgee on Ross... :cool:

I always liked Gunter. Nice kid, hope he does well. If he can keep healthy he's got as good a chance as the next bloke on the production line.

I think the size>skill argument for Australian Schoolboys selection is a no brainer. Do you think the coaches care at all about the result? It's about talent ID. If you find a kid with prototypical size, coach him the game sense and he'll be a contender for moving on up the development ladder.

If you pick a 5'9", 75 kg openside who can run like the wind and tackle anything that moves, chances are that he'll be a fine contributor to his school and the Schoolboys.

Will he go on to make a career in Rugby? Not with those numbers.

Size > skill is alright in my books. We're playing the long game here fellas.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
He was assistant coach at NC

What is just as an interesting is the the new head of S & C at BBC ( and i am told head of selections) is Steve Nance.A man with a tough reputation and impressive cv.
Interesting step to go from Wallabies , Broncos and Exec fitness back to schoolboy rugby. Obviously not for the money - but he could be their best recruitment .

JigPlex

Frank Row (1)
News out of bbc is that they are searching for more speed in tye backs this year. They are going out again to try and find faster players. They already brought in 1 9/10 at the start of the but are still searching for outside backs with speed. They now have 3 guys going for the 9/10 spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.