• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Knickers are unknotted, just generally curious why so many big names are missing. Surely the best way to test these lesser-name players is to pit them against the very best and see how they manage.

With the injury histories of guys like Ikitau, it wouldn't surprise me if someone from BBC answered back "Ikitau is out until round four this year, that's why he's not picked". Not to pick on Ikitau, just the first example that came in to my head

Slimjim1966

Frank Nicholson (4)
Teams 1-3 look to be made up from players from each field from TSS and the 4th a mix. Not 100% true I realise but close enough. So I assume no ranking of teams?
Teams after tomorrow will be more of an indication as too where players are at. As a newbie to this, how do coaches feel about their players who realistically won't make it into a qld team having to play these games? Surely they miss some of their school training and run the risk of injury ? Understand it would be hard to try and tell a kid , don't play these trials as you wont make qld and keep training with us. I also understand that the need teams to play but is 4 too many ?

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
GT: 10 (six forwards, four backs)
TGS: 8 (three forwards, four backs)
BSHS: 7 (three forwards, four backs)
IGS: 7 (four forwards, three backs)
BGS: 6 (four forwards, two backs)
NC: 6 (three forwards, three backs)
TSS: 6 (six forwards, zero backs)
ACGS: 5 (one forward, four backs)
BBC: 5 (two forwards, three backs)
So looking at the above, if 2/3rds of your team are trialling vs a team with 1/3rd who would win?
If GT beat TSS, BBC or Nudgee this year I'll run around Ross Oval naked....
Actually scratch that, they could beat BBC.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Did we ever get Monday's Expert to streak through Queens St?

I'm expecting a mid table finish for Terrace, but I think I could see them beating anyone once this year.

With talented forwards and a star 10, other teams have gone on to great things. I'll quote BGS in 2012, because it was the same recipe of success for them.

I think Terrace could win, but only if other teams trip over themselves - not impossible, because that's exactly how it happened in 2012.

Now I wouldn't put the house on it, but a $10 bet at around $15 odds sounds perfectly reasonable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Did we ever get Monday's Expert to streak through Queens St?

I'm expecting a mid table finish for Terrace, but I think I could see them beating anyone once this year.

With talented forwards and a star 10, other teams have gone on to great things. I'll quote BGS in 2012, because it was the same recipe of success for them.

I think Terrace could win, but only if other teams trip over themselves - not impossible, because that's exactly how it happened in 2012.

Now I wouldn't put the house on it, but a $10 bet at around $15 odds sounds perfectly reasonable

I agree, which is why I left myself an out.........not much of a betting man.
But it does beg the question how much influence the directors of rugby at each school has on the selection process.
From a Nudgee perspective, Malala and Tupou, I would of thought would be a shoe in, along with Wood(1st game back at trials after a years absence. he'll be firing in another month or two) especially at these early stages, trialling for the GPS teams.
It gives me a feeling Nudgee is sandbagging to use a sailors term, that a premiership is more important than players rep honours. Which from my point of view is fair enough.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Yes be very careful we have had a few 'Unpaid Debts' here over the past few years and most of those have involved underestimating the men in Red and Black - what odds you offering on the NC V GT game this season??

At this point, I'd pin Nudgee at $1.30 and Terrace at $2.60, with a 9.5 point spread.

When the season starts and we can gauge form easier and make some better odds.

If the draw had been left alone, Nudgee and Terrace would have played in Round 9.

The resemblance to BGS in 2012 is pretty uncanny.

They even have a star winger - Will Eadie, to match Grammar's Matt Marsden

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Yes be very careful we have had a few 'Unpaid Debts' here over the past few years and most of those have involved underestimating the men in Red and Black - what odds you offering on the NC V GT game this season??

1 for 1 as the Red and Black are due.
St Joesephs Rugby Luncheon I'll make sure there are 6 beer chits on the bar. If you're keen?

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Assume QRL have said that Gilbert needs a rest following U16 Queensland commitments (similar to Lanskey and Su'a in years gone by). Genuinely confused with the fact that TSS and NC only have 6 trialing yet GT has 10. I know GT will be decent this year but that is still a surprise.

Slimjim1966

Frank Nicholson (4)
Could all this talk just be that , what happens if the weather plays a part tomorrow ? Given all the reports it would not be a shock to see things disrupted, with only a couple of weeks until the qld trails there may not be another chance to play the games if the games are canceled ???????

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Knickers are unknotted, just generally curious why so many big names are missing. Surely the best way to test these lesser-name players is to pit them against the very best and see how they manage.

With the injury histories of guys like Ikitau, it wouldn't surprise me if someone from BBC answered back "Ikitau is out until round four this year, that's why he's not picked". Not to pick on Ikitau, just the first example that came in to my head

Ikatu played Qld 1 & Aussie A last year-he is out for another 3 weeks.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
I wouldn;t overthink the names missing on the team lists for tomorrow's 2nd round of GPS trials - anyone injured wasn't on these lists. Ikatua, tupou, malala etc. will all feature in the GPS teams no doubt but obviously weren't available for tomorrow's trials.

Status
Not open for further replies.