• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Watching

Bob McCowan (2)
Word is at BBC and witnessed on the weekend that the new head coach only talks to the captain of rugby and has no communication skills.
Heard this was the same at Nudgee.
These boys are under a cloud constantly and did not bond with the coach at camp.

Heard the same. So what's the big secret?
Apparently the NC coaches uses the AB's performances as his "mantra" when talking to the team (weird??). Baby steps coaches; talk to the boys like humans and get to know them, your find all the answers to your questions. They may actually understand you.....

Just Watching

Bob McCowan (2)
If we are honest GPS Rugby is curtailing QLD Rugby.
I understand that it is not up to the GPS schools to focus on rugby.

The change in the GPS rugby season means QLD players are under prepared for the Aus Schoolboys. They have not played a game when the trials begin.
The change in terms has also impacted on club competitions. There are not enough players to form a competitive competition with AIC and GPS playing seperate terms.

There are a lack of rugby games in a season for players to truly develop.

Schools restrict players from playing club and or Rep. (A recent rumour that a QLD GPS School insited that thier QLD players attend a 1st XV training camp instead of QLD training)

Recruitment of talent from Non GPS rugby schools reducing the quality of teams and competitions. (AIC)

Recruitmet of players that have agreements with proffesional Rugby or NRL clubs that then discourage players from rep football.

Boom, you hit the mail on the head with a 20kg sledge hammer!!

A friends son played for the Vic Team and he mentioned that they had selected their team at the beginning of the year, played 4-6 trial games prior to the nationals. The Vic schools comp is a 3rd the size of Qld, however they are still able to prepared for these nationals. So no real excuse for GPS to have the Qld Team prepared for these comps. This goes for the schools as well.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Meh

20 out of 46 spots last year to Brisbane GPS Schools across Australian Schoolboys and Barbarians Teams. The immediate prior years ( 2 ) have had big shares of representation as well

Maybe this year just wasn't a bumper crop.

It doesn't point to a systemic issue

It might be an understatement to say that this year's QLD U20's went ok- many of whom are cracking through the ranks via NRC and into higher honours beyond that

And then you look at Brisbane GPS alumni in Super Rugby .............

Curtailing development ? Holding back Queensland Rugby ?

Yeah. Nah.

jack07

Chris McKivat (8)
Heard the same. So what's the big secret?
Apparently the NC coaches uses the AB's performances as his "mantra" when talking to the team (weird??). Baby steps coaches; talk to the boys like humans and get to know them, your find all the answers to your questions. They may actually understand you...
He has only shown a couple of boys he respects them.
The rest he ignores and this has already being felt into the team.
He gives no feed back to the team or individuals.
I seen the forwards coach do some high fives and encouragement on Sat but nothing from the head coach.
He stood back and continued to talk to the captain of rugby.
At training on Friday the head coach just talked non stop on his phone.
Not the right way to show mutual respect.

Just Watching

Bob McCowan (2)
He has only shown a couple of boys he respects them.
The rest he ignores and this has already being felt into the team.
He gives no feed back to the team or individuals.
I seen the forwards coach do some high fives and encouragement on Sat but nothing from the head coach.
He stood back and continued to talk to the captain of rugby.
At training on Friday the head coach just talked non stop on his phone.
Not the right way to show mutual respect.

Can't be healthy....for the kids that is

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Meh

20 out of 46 spots last year to Brisbane GPS Schools across Australian Schoolboys and Barbarians Teams. The immediate prior years ( 2 ) have had big shares of representation as well

Maybe this year just wasn't a bumper crop.

It doesn't point to a systemic issue

It might be an understatement to say that this year's QLD U20's went ok- many of whom are cracking through the ranks via NRC and into higher honours beyond that

And then you look at Brisbane GPS alumni in Super Rugby .....

Curtailing development ? Holding back Queensland Rugby ?

Yeah. Nah.

I agree with what you are saying GO. But Qld definitely has an issue when the cream of the crop is picked before the first game of GPS.

Hell, there are boy's who are languishing on the bench at NC 1st XV that would be walk up starters IMO. But as Eric Rush's dad say's it's only one blokes opinion.

Who's playing who this weekend?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@Old School

I guess the AIC boys are at a theoretic advantage then

And , if any lad feels that they are short on some match play , they can always latch on in an U17 Comp and play "Season 1"

Personally , I don't place much stock in the assertion . It might mean something for a smaller percentage of boys who trial who could do with the extra match time in the lead up - who still may need some fine tuning . But let's face it - for this profile of kid who "needs" this at this stage of proceedings , well , the odds are that they're probably not going to be a rep player anyway ( at schoolboy level )

I think the broader reality is that the top end talent is what it is and is going to command the lion share of spots irrespective of whether they play an extra 5 or 6 games of Rugby or not

Let's remember most GPS Schools are preparing through Term 1 and are fully into it come mid March in terms of their physical preparation , and , Easter Camps and Tours - whether the Camps are about internal trials /scrimmages and the Easter Tours against other schoolboy teams

Then you take into account school trial season .....GPS Trials ....then QLD School Trials .........these young men are absolutely physically up for the challenge and are at no physical disadvantage to others who also have been preparing since January.

They may be say 5 or 6 games behind to others who have played Term 2 but maybe they are also fresher and without the niggles

Like I said though - it may be a factor in an extremely small sample size where playing an extra half a dozen games over a 2 month period is beneficial , however , talent is talent and I trust that more often that not selectors know it when they see it and it ends up as it should - or at least without the same level of interference and manipulation of agenda drivers at more junior representative levels that you see sticking out like dogs balls in club land.

Don't forget either the Schoolboys competition is always actually September and October , and so , theoretically benefit Term 3 playing boys more ( if you subscribe to the battle hardened - rhythm theory )

The final point I would make is that it is entirely possible , and perhaps highly likely , that there are greater resources ( public and private ) that are being channelled into the game in Victoria , ACT and WA . And money buys program excellence as it relates to facilities and coaching. Perhaps it is incumbent on the traditional hotbeds of Junior Rugby talent to pay closer attention to what is happening elsewhere and respond to the challenge

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Photos from the TSS v BGS trial here:

Flickr and Facebook

27929063780_c8770e2654_b_d.jpg

No problem for Hughy Arthur :)

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Hell, there are boy's who are languishing on the bench at NC 1st XV that would be walk up starters IMO

Finn McKee (10/12) Nudgee 2nd's is one of those players. I could see him playing firsts at a few schools but is stuck behind a few others. Not as if those others are brilliant players but that's how competition works. I'm sure that's the same for many other schools in countless different positions.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Tipping comp exists, but has no accurate fixtures for obvious reasons.

I'll hopefully get the fixtures later today and then will update, then post to the forum

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Gee - they must be confident down at Toowong !
BBC were the only school to have no age group trials last weekend and the only school not to have a rugby camp in the last week of term - followed by a Bye in the first round this weekend ! At least the boys will be well rested . if not overly familiar with their team mates !

Either that- or the great culture change we have been hearing about is a load of bullocks.Smells a lot like same ol same ol to me .

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I've got Round 1 at least.

ACGS v IGS, TSS v TGS, BSHS v GT, NC v IGS, home side listed first.

Tipping website is screwing me around, so maybe just post predictions?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
ACGS def IGS
TSS def TGS
GT def BSHS
NC def BGS

Ladder prediction

1. Southport
2. State High
3. Terrace (!)
4. Nudgee (!)
5. BBC