• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
In the TSS forward pack the following turn 18 this year:-

1. Dechlan Day
2. Rory Meyer
5. Angus Blyth
6. Josh Tonkin
7. Finn McElroy
8. Tipene Mavoa

6 of the forwards in TSS are 18 and 7 new boys in 15 A from the champ team of the Qld comp-that is a recipe for a very very strong open squad each year.

GT -I take my hat off to you

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
6 of the forwards in TSS are 18 and 7 new boys in 15 A from the champ team of the Qld comp-that is a recipe for a very very strong open squad each year.

6/15 "turning" 18, not all 18 during the season. A lot of them end of year birthdays. 5 of those lads played First XV last year so they were 16 turning 17 last year. Noah Lelisio also played First XV last year as a 15 year old.
I think all schools that do well have a mix of older and younger players each year so as you always have a bit of experience to mix with the new players. There is no point in having all your experience leave every year , you need continuity planning. I think Churchie have suffered from poor planning this year with a very young side, particularly in the forwards. Big effort for 2014 and 2015 seasons but then oops, we forgot about 2016. Adversity is the making of champions so, the players will be stronger in a year or 2 as the boys get the experience and the open cheque book kicks in. ( See below)

Previous forum quotes on 15A's...7 TSS players were out against BBC as they were playing in the School State Champs. Of those 7 players, only 2 were new to the school and one of the comments was that whilst they played well, there were other kids that were also very strong (stars). Speculating from the comment #Cough Churchie#, and heard from other parents of players at the carnival, Churchie (Michael Lucas) was out there with a massive chequebook buying up the born and bred Gold Coast players.

TSS 15A has only 3 new players that I can see, the taller breakaway, very tall No 5 and No 10. Mentioned prev in the thread, No 5 was QLD State Captain this year and younger brother of the big No.5 in TSS FirstXV so clearly a strong player and leader.
The thing with U15's is the size difference starts to even out and skill takes over. Once all the players get a bit more size on and can tackle, the big lads don't bust through and the game starts to rely on skill, not JUST size.

U16's is where it all evens out and watching U16A's is watching next years First XV. Such an interesting age group and this is when the experienced Rugby Directors look at their ranks. All players growth has been identified, and skills are developed and the lads with both, take up some spots in next years Firsts XV. Half is great if you have the strength in the 16's so as you have a good half First XV team of experience and half new players always carrying over.

Interestingly, Churchie won 2014 16a's and then Churchie First XV won the following year. Last year Churchie 16A's came fourth and their Firsts are struggling this year. So it appears good development in U16's leads to strong Firsts. Church U16's are doing well so far, so when they team up with this years First XV, they will do well again next year.

On the flip side to those Stats and that logic is GT . GT U16A's came 5th last year and their Firsts came 7th, so not sure where their First XV success is coming from this year? Doesn't appear to be from developing age groups coming through as far as last years results show. Not sure how many lads were in last years Firsts returning. However, their 16A's are doing well this year so a good mix there, looks like a good run ahead for GT.

It is going to be an interesting back end of the season for GT. A favourable 11-0 penalty count last week in the second half alone, and 2 TSS sin bins, meant for 20 mins in the second half GT were playing against 14 men in the game against TSS last week - should def have been a 20 point win, not a penalty goal on the bell win. Power to TSS for battling that one out and as someone else said in prev chat, TSS were a bit unlucky with the penalties. They were largely against TSS in attack for not releasing but another interpretation could have been that GT did not roll away or were off their feet. On other occasions the players from both sides all just stopped, something had clearly happened but the ref didn't call anything so whoever had the ball just started to run and it was play on. GT also had no line out options and under pressure got whistled for not straight throws. By the end of the game, they were throwing straight to the player at the front on the 5m in line. Went straight to his belly every time so not sure how that could have been straight down the middle? The players in the line out again, just stood and looked as it was so wrong but the ref just stopped calling anything against GT Again that penalty count in the 2nd half was 11-0 in GT favour.
Lucky win and with TGS up the range, BBC at Toowong and Nudgee to go, going to be an interesting back half for GT.

2 great games this weekend - BBC v Nudgee and Ippy v BSHS.
2016 is a great season.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I too was pulling my hair out, it was the first time in a couple of years that I returned to watch a game (because they were going so well). Put the mocha on them! While I was angry with the ref (Simon Moore) at the time, the second yellow was right at the end (where GT kicked the goal). In hindsight we were unlucky, but probably not to the extent you've highlighted.
TSS strategy was good, hassled well, but this is why we gave the penalties away. A couple of mates tell me that we rode our luck in earlier games. What goes around......

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Captains might want to converse with refs in regards to the tackled ball area as there may be different interpretations to other refs, players may get away with it some games but it all depends on the refs allowances. I'm not 100% but it certainly helps to converse and get the understanding then you can work around it. TMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
My predictions for this week:
TSS def BGS
TGS def ACGS
BBC def NC
BSHS def IGS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
TSS def BGS - Should be easy for TSS

TGS def ACGS - Up the range and against a pretty hot TGS who will be smarting for their close losses.

NC def BBC - Very close just think NC will want it more in the end.

BSHS def IGS - Not sure about this one. BSHS looked to be not as fit as I expected and wilted at the end of the game against ACGS. Should be a good battle in the Backs as both fullbacks are quick.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
TSS in a canter against BGS. TSS forwards too big and backs too slick. TSS by 24
ACGS to roll TGS up on the range. Both teams playing without luck, but ACGS to control the forward battle and back three of ACGS to easily match TGS. ACGS by 12.
NC to outlast BBC. BBC down a few with injuries with scrums and lineout to be a real issue. NC by 18
IGS to shock BSHS. If the outside backs of IGS can contain the BSHS backs, battle of the forwards will go to the IGS boys. IGS by 6.

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
Those of you who are writing off BBC this weekend because they are missing some players might be surprised by the quality of replacements. They have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to front rowers and the 2nd XV scrum gives the 1st XV a very hard time at training. I don't think their set piece will suffer much.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
My prediction from before the season read:

1. TSS
2. BSHS
3. GT
4. NC
5. TGS
6. BBC
7. ACGS
8. IGS
9. BGS

The table currently stands

1. TSS - 6 pts
2. BSHS - 6 pts
3. GT - 6 pts
4. NC - 6 pts
5. BBC - 4 pts
6. ACGS - 2 pts
7. IGS - 2 pts
8. TGS - 0 pts
9. BGS - 0 pts

For the weekend, I'm picking all the favourites.

TSS @ BGS - pretty self explanatory. BGS don't have the firepower to match the TSS attack and will have their hands full trying to keep it close. Big win for TSS.

ACGS @ TGS - there's no better winless team in the comp than Toowoomba Grammar. They will spank Churchie up the range.

BSHS @ IGS - Ipswich might keep this one close, but I can't see them coming away with the upset here. Should be quite an entertaining match.

NC @ BBC - Game of the Round right here. Nudgee spanked BBC last year, but I can't see a repeat at Miskin St in 2016. Ikitau on Tupou will be one of the great positional clashes, but I see BBC's big advantage in the forwards. Nullifying Dalle Cort, Cotton and Schoupp will go a long way to winning the game. I hope Rangihuna finds his kicking boots, because Nudgee can't afford to throw away points in this match.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Form guide is a bit cloudy this week. But here goes:

BGS to give TSS a scare but Southport to prevail
TGS will break their duck at the expense of Churchie
Ippy to get on top of BSHS in the second half
BBC, with belief after last week, to beat Nudgee at home

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Are there any match reports for last weeks games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, sorry. With no commentary I didn't get out to a game, then with Grand Final weekend and MM didn't get around to writing a report at all.

ChekMate wasn't available either, so coverage fell over last week. We should be back up and running this weekend.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
[quote="Tashara, post: 868928,

Great stuff.

Great try by young Jack Bowen playing 9 in 15 As- lets hope he gets as good as his brother-or even uncle Mango Matt.[/quote]

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Big Game in 15A between NC & BBC.
I am tipping a 40 point turnaround from last year & NC to squeak in a win.
BBC to win 14 A & 13 A will be a draw.
With injuries to BBC- I see NC forwards dominating in 1st xv.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
BBC v NC Predictions:

13A BBC by 10
14A BBC by 38
15A BBC by 5
16A NC by 14
1st XV BBC by 3

A change in the Miskin schedule from last year sees consecutive 'A' games on the main field. With no game clashes, I'll be filming the 13, 14 and 15A's and predicting a clean-sweep across those 3 age groups. I'm with you B&W that the 15's will be close and NC have good chance of taking that one out.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
GT XV V Downlands (Red back next year)
1 Round
2 Dobbins
3 Harrison
4 Paynter
5 Gassman
6 Howard
7 Hearne
8 Reiser
9 Siolo