• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Just a bit of a go to see what people thinkTSS / BBC 1-2
NC / ACGS 3-4
GT / TGS 5-6
BSHS / IGS 7-8
BGS 9

I actually agree with you but I see GT being ahead of ACGS.
Note -BBC play TSS away but NC at home.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I would be surprised if the bottom two wasn't made up of Ipswich and Grammar. I don't know if nudgee have the side for top two ambitions, same goes for TGS, though they will knock over there fair share of victories.

To me atm it goes something along these lines

TSS/ACGS 1-2
BBC/NC 3-4
BSHS/GT 5-6
TGS 7
IGS/BGS 8-9

Obviously that top 6 there is some flexibility. For instance, I think BBC will probably knock themselves out of the race at some stage and for BSHS come round 9 they won't be as high as round 1. NC to come home strong late but lose too many early and ACGS to be consistent as ever.

I can't see TSS losing at home or IGS winning away from home either

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I would be surprised if the bottom two wasn't made up of Ipswich and Grammar. I don't know if nudgee have the side for top two ambitions, same goes for TGS, though they will knock over there fair share of victories.
To me atm it goes something along these lines

TSS/ACGS 1-2
BBC/NC 3-4
BSHS/GT 5-6
TGS 7
IGS/BGS 8-9

Obviously that top 6 there is some flexibility. For instance, I think BBC will probably knock themselves out of the race at some stage and for BSHS come round 9 they won't be as high as round 1. NC to come home strong late but lose too many early and ACGS to be consistent as ever.

I can't see TSS losing at home or IGS winning away from home either

You make a lot of sense GWM.
It hurts me to say but I cannot see NC this year being as strong as last 3 or 4 years.But we will have depth.
If BBC can keep their rep stars on the field(for the first time in 3 years-maybe Nance will help) I can see them 2nd but not beating TSS away. By my reckoning BBC will not have as as many boys back as tss -but will have more rep players back with at least 1 Aussie A and 2 Qld reps back.

faceforrugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well I suppose IGS & BGS pick themselves. BSHS have done some good (not outstanding) recruiting since year 10 and there is always the issue of teams having to come and play at the goat track which will help.

It was more of a list to flush out some discussion and I didn't want to sit on the fence and bracket teams in groups of positions.

faceforrugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not sure about BBC front row. You really don't know which kids are doing grade 12 over two years or just the tradition one year. I understand they have recruited a 17 year prop from Bremer and stuck him grade 11 and starts first day of grade 11 to comply with rules. Would they need to do this if they had the same front row returning?

BBC have a long history of finding a way to loose however with Conrad in charge I think it may be their year in 2016.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Faceofrugby: I was not sitting on the fence by grouping the teams. It is still very early in the year and I was just going by what I saw in the 2015 season. It is very early to look at picking a 1-9 and my predictions were based more on the strength of the schools rugby system feeding into the 1stXV at the stage.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Way too early to do this with any confidence and I look forward to making adjustments in May.

But here is my preseason prediction

1. TSS /NC
3. GT/BBC
5. BSHS/ACGS
7. BGS/TGS/IGS

I think TSS are due and on paper probably have the best ‘preseason squad’ for a third straight year.

NC are always solid but have more question marks across the board than in recent years, but I suspect the U16 cohort will contribute significantly as the season unfolds and will show more than enough this year to be outright favorites for 2017! – No more than two losses for mine and where they finish will be determined by who they lose to.

GT and BBC will be next in line with both teams suspect to momentum and a bad start or an unlucky loss could see them plummet – but equally both could get on a roll and put real pressure on the top 2. I see GT building for real tilts over the next several years but fear they could be the new BBC - always in the top 3 but never actually getting the prize.

BSHS – I am taking on trust and the expected improvement within the returning 2015 cohort – paper thin depth if their 16A’s were anything to go by 4th at best could drop much lower.

ACGS have ridden their luck as far as they can, they have had a great run with injuries over the past two seasons and overachieved last season IMO as they got out of jail in round 1 and other teams stumbled, I can see early losses sending them to midtable or lower.

The G’s are once again making up the numbers with BGS improving, TGS to be competitive at home and poor away and IGS the definition of a ‘punters nightmare’ you never know what you will get, but even the good likely won’t be enough in 2016.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Happy New Year BAG

Well done with your prognostications for the First XV

Would you care to list the Top of the Table from 16A's down to 13A's ?

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Not sure about BBC front row. You really don't know which kids are doing grade 12 over two years or just the tradition one year. I understand they have recruited a 17 year prop from Bremer and stuck him grade 11 and starts first day of grade 11 to comply with rules. Would they need to do this if they had the same front row returning?

BBC have a long history of finding a way to loose however with Conrad in charge I think it may be their year in 2016.

Do not know about a boy from Bremer. Only new boy is 6ft 6 one from Melbourne (that was always coming).
I do know that front row of Prynce,Farrell (Qld 2) and -Yanopa (who played last couple of matches) are all back.
We can all expect the usual influx of 17 year old RL boys from Nth NSW to turn up in" grade 11 "at TSS-so need to wait for that dust to settle.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Happy New Year BAG

Well done with your prognostications for the First XV

Thanks GO and Happy New Year to you too.

I will need to have a think on this and put together a list.

BBC the big improvers in 14's for mine as the top 2 come back to the field - but will it be enough.

Would need a little insight into the new boys at BBC in 13's, the twins are a nice addition but rarely on the field at the same time these days. Anyone else of note?? - Are they rated as contenders internally?

GT, IGS and BSHS should lead the way – GT with some very nice boys starting in Grade 7 firming as favorites.

I’ll get to work on the other grades now!!!!

Lemno

Frank Row (1)
Not much internal musing by the boys about the new starters for BBC U13's apart from the twins.

There is a new boy starting in Grade 7 who is one of the tallest and well built 12-13 year olds I've ever seen (and fit) - apparently his name is James...

Apart from that there are some boys with famous rugby surnames starting in the U11-U12/13 grades but it's now known how this translates to talent on the field.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
We can all expect the usual influx of 17 year old RL boys from Nth NSW to turn up in" grade 11 "at TSS-so need to wait for that dust to settle.

Yes- you can expect one or 2 from Ballina/Lismore to turn up.

Good to see 2 TSS old boys as captain and VC of Reds.
Quite a few TSS supporters get a little tired of hearing "this is a building year".
Cant say that this year. up to 6 back and Premiership 16 A side, a few new boys as 17 year olds in grade 11- plus a good draw.
I like what I see as to talent AND depth..

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)

This will do for a start - Ill update as more info comes to hand

16A’s – Battle of today V tomorrow

TSS
GT
NC
IGS

NC & GT will benefit greatly without their immersion programs. IGS were good last year, but I still think at full strength NC and GT are the cream of the crop here. If they are not required to supply too many to the Firsts they should finish top 3 with TSS who usually sport a few new recruits.

BBC could be the surprises here.

15As – Oh what might have been?

BSHS
BBC
GT
NC

BSHS look bigger and faster than ever with amazing depth across the age group. BCC remain classy but I defiantly saw some defensive issues being hidden by speed over the last few years and I think BSHS catch them this year. GT are a very good team (IMO the best in the age group) but will miss players and be distracted throughout while NC face the same issues as Terrace but are not quite as good.

No surprise packages here the top 3 are all very good and well balanced – BBC V BSHS should decide the title and it is a shame we won’t see GT at its best.

14A’s – The bigger they are the harder they fall

IGS
BSHS
BBC
GT

Same top 4 as last year – but not necessarily in the same order. BBC and GT will be stronger in personnel and on the field and just a little closer than they were last year. This year is probably too soon but I expect a changing of the guard in U15 with BBC rising to the top and GT closing the gap but cruelled by immersion.

TGS if anyone upsets the top 4.

13A’s – Size really does matter

GT
IGS
BSHS
BBC

GT were easily the pick (and biggest) of the under 12s in 2015 and have some quality new boys arriving as do BBC. IGS and BSHS are always good in 13’s and were pretty good last year in the 12s - IGS field a couple of the hardest tacklers I have seen at this age. I know little of the BSHS new boys but I expect them to be good and big. BBC will probably lack the depth of the top 3 but have some real class, a few worthy workers and could (but probably won’t) beat any of the top three on their day. IGS V GT to decide the title.

ACGS the dark horse with an excellent forward pack but not much size out wide.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
<snip>.

As usual some wise words from B&G
can I suggest that from year dot to 2013 you would have had NC at the top of most of these lists with TSS in as well for 16A and 2nds( indeed GPS records should show that no other school other than those 2 have won 16 /2nds for the last decade).
So we have a changing of the guard . But be warned - after the 13Aand 14 A s were pumped by IGS/ BSHS/BBC some influential old boys with sons in those teams have raised some voice and $ for the " good old days"

Mods Note: Don't quote long posts, when it is obvious which post you are referring to.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
<snip>.
Yes GT do have quality new boys arriving in13A including 2 brothers of BBC boys!Seems ToM B and his mate who coaches Qld under 12 primary schools RL team are very persuasive !!
I hear the Broncos / BBC central Qld connection has delivered another quality under 15 boy to BBC ( but that team needs more forwards not more backs)

Mods Note: Don't quote long posts, when it is obvious which post you are referring to.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
including 2 brothers of BBC boys!

Not saying you're wrong but I only know of one and thought he was a cousin, would be keen to know who the other one is.

I hear the Broncos / BBC central Qld connection has delivered another quality under 15 boy to BBC ( but that team needs more forwards not more backs)

I hear you, where are they going to play him - 10, 12, 13 and 15 are all up there with the best in their positions and the wingers have pace to burn. Good problem I guess except maybe for morale!!

Bladerunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thanks GO and Happy New Year to you too.

I will need to have a think on this and put together a list.

BBC the big improvers in 14's for mine as the top 2 come back to the field - but will it be enough.

Would need a little insight into the new boys at BBC in 13's, the twins are a nice addition but rarely on the field at the same time these days. Anyone else of note?? - Are they rated as contenders internally?

GT, IGS and BSHS should lead the way – GT with some very nice boys starting in Grade 7 firming as favorites.

I’ll get to work on the other grades now!!!!

What positions and where did the new boys come from going into year 7 at GT

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
I hear you, where are they going to play him - 10, 12, 13 and 15 are all up there with the best in their positions and the wingers have pace to burn. Good problem I guess except maybe for morale!![/quote]

sorry -my bad. New boy from Broncos/Central Qld -is under 14.

As for under 13 "the twins" have brought 3 friends with them. One is a big burly prop.
But yes GT are a lock-in for under 13.They were good (unbeatable last year) and with a number of new boys including 2 Qld RL players they will be specials.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
sorry -my bad. New boy from Broncos/Central Qld -is under 14.

Makes more sense but agreed needed forwards not backs 10 12 13 where better than good in 13's last season.

But yes GT are a lock-in for under 13.They were good (unbeatable last year) and with a number of new boys including 2 Qld RL players they will be specials.

I am clueless on Jnr RL are these the same boys from the BJRU U12 City side or extra's??.

Edit - from what I hear (not certain) there is a RL boy but he is U12 this year not U13??

Status
Not open for further replies.