• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Makes more sense but agreed needed forwards not backs 10 12 13 where better than good in 13's last season.

I am clueless on Jnr RL are these the same boys from the BJRU U12 City side or extra's??.

Edit - from what I hear (not certain) there is a RL boy but he is U12 this year not U13??
There was no U12 city side, I believe its in reference to the U12 Qld rugby league side that is selected every year.

Anyway heres my picks
The key word in the offseason recruitment across all age groups

2016 1st XV - NC, TSS , Churchie, BBC, GT

2016 16s will go to NC a very talented cohort that will be pushed hard by TSS, ippy and GT - however many may play a part in 1st XV as 16s is typically 1st XV reserve grade - some strong recruiting happening in this age group at NC and GT and BBC in particular all from you guessed it Loig

2016 15s will go to BBC very strong backline with some strong ruinning league backs but BSHS will run them close - this will be a competitive age group with recruitment in all schools. GT and Nudgee are effectively out of contention

2016 14s will go to Ippy still too strong for all comers - BSHS will run them close with their talented squad and a couple of new recruits from league and AIC and I hear GT have recruited strongly from the Queensland U12 RL team with 3 or 4 new boys - I think one was already there but didn't play in 2015 due to injury, they will be competitive, BBC too I hear have a couple of new recruits from AIC making them contenders as well

2016 13s - GT then daylight

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
There was no U12 city side, I believe its in reference to the U12 Qld rugby league side that is selected every year.

i was referring to the BJRU Rep sides that contest the State Champs the BJRU pick and Navy and Red team virtually City 1 and 2 from those that are involved in the Under 12 Development program - GT has two boys from the A (Red) and one from the B (Navy) teams staring this year.

Sadly neither BBC or GT could find a away to recruit either of the girls who made the Red team ;-)

BTW does anyone have a link to the 2015 Under 12 RL team I can only find the 2014.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well done BAG . Good breakdown and for the most part I agree

Also interested in your take Willie John which runs closely to BAG.

The only thing I would say chaps is that State High should finish out over Ipswich in the 14's and the 13's will be a lot closer than you think . GT may be in for a shock here and there

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
i was referring to the BJRU Rep sides that contest the State Champs the BJRU pick and Navy and Red team virtually City 1 and 2 from those that are involved in the Under 12 Development program - GT has two boys from the A (Red) and one from the B (Navy) teams staring this year.

Sadly neither BBC or GT could find a away to recruit either of the girls who made the Red team ;-)

BTW does anyone have a link to the 2015 Under 12 RL team I can only find the 2014.

Nice work cant find 2015 anywhere but on the QRL website the 2013 and 2014 teams are still up might be some familiar names in there

http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2013/07/08/qpsrl-12-years-and-under-state-championships-results.html

http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2014/07/09/qpsrl_under_12_queensland_team.html

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
. GT may be in for a shock here and there

I would have agreed but if all the recruits mentioned here turn up our 13's might just win the 14's and 15's as well ;-)

Seriously though BSHS and IGS will be stronger than most here are giving them credit for and as I said BBC will be 'in' most games they play but depth will be their issue.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't think depth will be an issue

I think there are half a dozen quality new additions in addition to 4 or 5 key boys that were already there.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I think GT were beaten by BBC in that age group last year without their star pair weren't they ?

GT had 6 out that day and played boys in some weird positions to not disrupt B's too much - but credit due BBC were pretty good last year (better than their results) and will be much better this year.

BUT trust me you will have a few injuries concerns in your team this season more than a couple of boys haven't strung too many games in row ;-( for year or more and certainly not at the level they will face next season.

BBC's 2016 13A's may challenge the injury record of GT 2015 13A's before the season is out.

I am with you a lot closer in 13s than many think but GT will win out I tell ya!!

Bladerunner

Frank Nicholson (4)

What positions do the boys from the Red and Navy city teams play and what would they bring to the current team.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Josh (?) Nasser will be an interesting one to watchh this year for GT. He had great size and made plenty of impact on attack, but his scrummaging was embarrassing to watch - that being said, competing against his own age group and with a year's First XV experience could have easily changed that situation. He could well be an exciting player for Queensland Rugby to watch in the future. His Dad was of course Brendan, the Wallaby World Cup winner in '91.

Isaac Lucas' development will no doubt be watched closely. He might be the fourth and final Lucas to turn pro.

The undisputed star of this Terrace team, and I honesty believe could be for this age group, is winger Will Eadie.

He and State High's Murray Taulagi will be exciting players to watch. Taulagi made a lot of dumb decisions last year, but clearly had oodles of athletic ability. Dumb decisions include counter-attacking straight in to James McMillan (Australian schoolboys open side) and chipping and chasing unsuccessfully out of his 22 within a 10 minute period vs Churchie.

I spoke to JJ Taulagi about him in an interview in December. I asked him who he thought the biggest stars of the University U18 side was, and he replied "my little brother Murray was probably the best player in the team... Murray's one of the youngest in the team, but he's also one of the biggest.. He's actually bigger than me. He's played full seasons for Tribe Sevens, so that experience is just going to make him so much better playing back amongst his age group. I told him Sevens is a game where you have to freestyle to score points, and I think that's really what he's good at."

The younger Malala (Willie or Brendan, not sure which is which!) brother from Nudgee will be exciting, as will young TJ Meni.

Fraser McReight from BGS will stake his claim on the Queensland open side Jersey, probably alongside Tipene Mavoa from TSS in the back row. Mavoa had some really phenomenal impacts in last year's season.

Sorry for unorganised rambling. Just thinking aloud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Welcome back Mr King.
2 boys my nephew at TSS told me to watch this year are from BBC. Len Ikatu (Aussie A centre) and Ben Simson (qld 2 wing.)
He says they only played 2 GPS matches between them last year because of injury and no one at TSS could believe Simpson was not in Aussie Schools because he played all over the Newington boy that made it.
If they stay injury free -they will be a handful.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The BBC backline might be one of the deepest / strongest running around , and , they will have very good depth upfront

The biggest question marks around this year's team will be the back row. A question mark not as a slight ..........moreso that it's just not as obvious as to how it will come together

And yes ....welcome back King

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
What positions do the boys from the Red and Navy city teams play and what would they bring to the current team.

2 back Rowers and a prop - more size and athleticism - IMO there will also be at least another 4 new starters from 2015 - I expect the team to be bigger and more aggressive up front than last year.

Bladerunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
2 back Rowers and a prop - more size and athleticism - IMO there will also be at least another 4 new starters from 2015 - I expect the team to be bigger and more aggressive up front than last year.

Thanks mate sounds like a great year for the 13s, is the prop and one of the back rowers from Brothers if so have seen them play and both are outstanding defenders and the back rower is a awesome pilferer.

Will this years 15s have as good a year as they did last year, have they got anymore boys joining, not that they need anymore.

What will be the backline for the 16s it was the backline I thought that let the team down last year, the speed from 9 to 10 was poor and the team seemed to play as individuals trying to make a statement.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks mate sounds like a great year for the 13s, is the prop and one of the back rowers from Brothers if so have seen them play and both are outstanding defenders and the back rower is a awesome pilferer.

The prop, I know of, is from Sunnybank, one flanker from Brothers the other Souths.

Will this years 15s have as good a year as they did last year, have they got anymore boys joining, not that they need anymore.

One new boy in 15's brother of the prop in 13's - nice big lad plays 4 or 5 generally - one of the only weaknesses in that side was weight, he'll help there.
Could be a couple of grade 9 boys will push to make the team in 2016 from the B's if they grew over the holidays.

Immersion will see the boys miss a lot of training and a couple of games so they shouldn't challenge BBC or BSHS THIS season.

What will be the back line for the 16s it was the back-line I thought that let the team down last year, the speed from 9 to 10 was poor and the team seemed to play as individuals trying to make a statement.

A fair few injuries in the 15's last year with both 'star' centers missing time and the 9 spot was never truly 'bedded in', plus you need to understand just what an impact immersion has on the boys at GT - Rugby is truly an after thought and the competition is so tough in the 15's you cant come in distracted and exhausted and expect to beat the top teams.

I think one or two of the backs will spend significant time in the firsts this year (mid field is potentially GT's weakness) but I suspect the 16's will look a lot better than they did last year.

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
The prop, I know of, is from Sunnybank, one flanker from Brothers the other Souths.

One new boy in 15's brother of the prop in 13's - nice big lad plays 4 or 5 generally - one of the only weaknesses in that side was weight, he'll help there.
Could be a couple of grade 9 boys will push to make the team in 2016 from the B's if they grew over the holidays.

Immersion will see the boys miss a lot of training and a couple of games so they shouldn't challenge BBC or BSHS THIS season.

A fair few injuries in the 15's last year with both 'star' centers missing time and the 9 spot was never truly settled, plus you need to understand just what an impact immersion has on the boys at GT - Rugby is truly an after thought and the competition is so tough in the 15's you cant come in distracted and exhausted and expect to beat the top teams.

I think one or two of the backs will spend significant time in the firsts this year (mid field is potentially GT's weakness) but I suspect the 16's will look a lot better than they did last year.
I thought the GT 14s in 2015 were superbly coached and had talent to burn the backkrow was very effective and the loss of the #8 did not stop their momentum, the 13 was simply outstanding and the 10 had real vision, I would possibly look for another fullback that can punch the line - at times they played some fantastic football and scored some wonderful team tries. The new acquisitions will only strengthen this unit, I believe their potential will come through in 2017 with a premiership.

Ok I watched a fair bit of GT 15s last year in between watching other age groups as my sons friends older brother plays for this team, so B & G for someone that supposedy knows a bit about GT rugby you should know that the 15a #9 played every game for GT 15a apart from when he was on representative duty with Met North, also this teams coach is an ex Reds halfback..thats about as settled as you can get I believe.
The #10 is new to the school and although he could kick did not attack the line and stood too deep so the backline alignment suffered , he was sluggish and slow and his pass was laboured maybe this is where the backline lacked the cohesian Bladerunner hints at. Funny but GT 15a had no star centres as you put it they were both average, the league boy did not fulfil his large reputation as he was injured, but from what I saw of him he was too lateral on attack the other Centre had size but thats about it.the star back was the winger in this team JJ who I thought had some real talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.